Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Ayre QX5 Twenty

Audioshark

Ayre QX5 Twenty

The Ayre QX5 Twenty.

Firmware update coming.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Re: Ayre QX5 Twenty now fully MQA compliant

Awesome, looks like more companies are getting onboard.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Good for Charlie!
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Ayre QX5 Twenty now fully MQA compliant

Guys, I want to make sure that everyone understands that the QX5 (as well as many others) will only do the first unfolding of MQA and not more. You will hear better sound, but it's not the full monty as some feel it is. Alex and I were talking about this before he left for AQ. Still well worth it.

**Moderator Update: we have learned, this is incorrect. See pages later on for update. **
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

I havne't been in touch with Ayre since Alex left for AQ. Mike, any word on the MQA? I know I just had an update to the firmware, but didn't know if it was for the MQA too. If so, can I just use my mconnect app using Tidal to stream it directly into the Ayre and get MQA if I'm listening to the Masters stuff or will I need a computer to stream it into the QX5? Thanks all.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    I havne't been in touch with Ayre since Alex left for AQ. Mike, any word on the MQA? I know I just had an update to the firmware, but didn't know if it was for the MQA too. If so, can I just use my mconnect app using Tidal to stream it directly into the Ayre and get MQA if I'm listening to the Masters stuff or will I need a computer to stream it into the QX5? Thanks all.
    No word on MQA on the QX-5 - yet.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Thanks Mike. Before Alex left, he got in touch and told me that they were MQA ready and I posted that. Then later on he said he was premature (fill in the blank) and that they weren't quite ready. Then he also told me that it would do the first unfold only, which I guess is what many of the DAC's will be. I don't fully understand, but am trying to, lol.

Hopefully soon as it sounds great though my Noble can's and the little AQ Red Das on the computer.

Audioshark

Thanks Mike. Before Alex left, he got in touch and told me that they were MQA ready and I posted that. Then later on he said he was premature (fill in the blank) and that they weren't quite ready. Then he also told me that it would do the first unfold only, which I guess is what many of the DAC's will be. I don't fully understand, but am trying to, lol.

Hopefully soon as it sounds great though my Noble can's and the little AQ Red Das on the computer.
    No company can get MQA certified that quickly. It can take come companies 2 years for the legal/hardware/software verification process. I chuckle when I read about some companies thinking they can do it in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No company can get MQA certified that quickly. It can take come companies 2 years for the legal/hardware/software verification process. I chuckle when I read about some companies thinking they can do it in a week.
    Totally correct Mike!
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

That makes more sense. I wonder though if it was somehow easier and quicker, if we'd see it in more devices? Hope they can get it done soon though as I'm really wanting to be able to use it ...like many others.

That makes more sense. I wonder though if it was somehow easier and quicker, if we'd see it in more devices? Hope they can get it done soon though as I'm really wanting to be able to use it ...like many others.
    You basically have to hand over control of your Dac's inner working to them, in order for them to fully implement the antidote for the filer notch used in the original ADC.

Honestly, it better to have 2 Dac engines in one box, as possibly MQA circuitry may interfere with the Dac's non-MQA playback (from an absolute purist point of view). Nobody says this, but I could see MSB Select2 having such an internal bypass/workaround for when MQA is disabled. Just my speculation.
    NORMAN

Audioshark

Pete - I think there is so much misinformation out there about MQA.

On one hand, I hear that to build a full blown MQA DAC, the company must agree to use certain specific hardware components - in addition to specific code, in addition to contractual compliance and this process takes +/- 2 years.

On the other hand, I see Lumin has had no trouble usurping the hardware part of it and it was my understanding that only Berkeley received and official "carve out" of those hardware requirements because, the former HDCD boys presented a better hardware alternative. As a side note, the folks at Berkeley have told me, as good as the MQA is, the changes they've made to the code have made PCM even better than it was.

As to those who believe that by Tidal delivering the first unfolding of MQA gives you 90% of MQA, I met with Bob Stuart at Munich and he fell over laughing at such comments. He said, "at best, it's not even close to 50%".

At the end of the day, we will have to just wait and see what manufacturers decide to do.

Thanks Mike. That makes much more sense than what's been told by most. As customers, we just want the best and easiest way to listen to our music. I know that Ayre will only do the first unfold which is only a software change (or am I off here?).

Audioshark

Thanks Mike. That makes much more sense than what's been told by most. As customers, we just want the best and easiest way to listen to our music. I know that Ayre will only do the first unfold which is only a software change (or am I off here?).
    It is my understanding that Tidal does the first unfold. That means, you can play MQA files through your Ayre QX5 Twenty (but you can with any DAC, soooo....).

Ok, I thought that's what it was all about. So why is it a big deal for these DAC's to be 'MQA Compliant'. Is it just marketing or is there something else going on here? I didn't worry about an MQA DAC when I bought and I assume that if Ayre feels it needs to do the full monty MQA, they will offer a hardware upgrade like they with the 9 and DSD after a few years of it being out.

Digital is just so confusing for many of us. I am close with a few of the digital guys on CA and other boards and they are walking me through things when it comes to servers and set ups for the network. So far the Aurender N10 is beating out so many of the computer based servers on SQ and ease of use. Heard that Lumin is doing nice job also and is very very simple to use and to rip your stuff to. I want to learn as much as I can, but with the MS, I lose so much of what I hear or read, so in the end, it will just be all about simple and sounding the best for my budget. Simple as that, but I'll still try and keep up the best I can....or can't, lol.....

Audioshark

Ok, I thought that's what it was all about. So why is it a big deal for these DAC's to be 'MQA Compliant'. Is it just marketing or is there something else going on here? I didn't worry about an MQA DAC when I bought and I assume that if Ayre feels it needs to do the full monty MQA, they will offer a hardware upgrade like they with the 9 and DSD after a few years of it being out.

Digital is just so confusing for many of us. I am close with a few of the digital guys on CA and other boards and they are walking me through things when it comes to servers and set ups for the network. So far the Aurender N10 is beating out so many of the computer based servers on SQ and ease of use. Heard that Lumin is doing nice job also and is very very simple to use and to rip your stuff to. I want to learn as much as I can, but with the MS, I lose so much of what I hear or read, so in the end, it will just be all about simple and sounding the best for my budget. Simple as that, but I'll still try and keep up the best I can....or can't, lol.....
    Aurender, Auralic and Lumin are the leaders in the "awesome sound, keep it simple" categories. If you like to play computer, than there is no shortage of discussions. If you want to play music, stick to the KISS principle.

I do worry about the confusion between marketing and true technology. As you said, it creates confusion. There is so much misinformation out there. When we add Roon into the mix, it can really add to the level of confusion.

There are a handful of DAC manufacturers who have been around the top digital products for many many years: Berkley, MSB, DCS, Lampizator, etc. to name a few.

Man, it seems like yesterday that I was loving my Weiss and Wavelength DAC's. Where are they now?

Totally agree Mike. My friends just got his new Light harmonic mk 2 yesterday and the USB board was broken right out of the gate. Broken.... It was their first mk 2 shipped and they will replace the unit, but that's a 35k unit. Things that make you head shake to be honest. Some of the costs for digital only make sense when you realize that for the Asian markets, they need to have a huge mark up and then discount the hell out of the piece as that's the Asian way for purchasing. Spent a lot of time over there in the past and can fully understand that. It does screw with the prices in the rest of the world though. I haven' heard his Davinci yet, but I know his ear and he feels it's the best DAC by far he's had. He and I both have owned the Empirical Audio (Steve Nugent) DAC's and they sound incredible, but again, it's a one man show and he'll retire within the next 5 years or so most probably and good luck getting it fixed.

I own Steve's server that is a rebuilt Mac Mini with Paul Hynes LPS. I've had the N10 and W20 in the house and mine sounds just as good. Just a different sound, but better than any computer based server I've ever heard. That said, I am not a computer guy and I know I am able to somehow put it on the net and run Room and HQPlayer with it if I want ....er wait.....

I'll sell it as it's well worth the price for someone just for the well recorded (some high rez) songs and the Paul Hynes LPS, which takes years to get and I don't think he's even taking orders anymore. Then I'll see what the companies are up to and probably just get the Aurender, load my 1k or so CD's and use their own software, which is easy and looks nice on a pad or phone. As much as I loved working with Room when I've been able to, I just don't think I'm going to go there.

I was talking with the SGM guys and they showed me a simple ethernet adaptor to get rid of the noise on the line so I don't need to even finish my optical converter. Ease of use just sounds great now days and I want a company behind my gear to fix any problems as digital seems to have more user problems as well as equipment fails than analog gear.....jmho

You know I was wondering, since to have a totally certified MQA device of course you send it in and MQA and the Dac maker work out the little items that make it a certified MQA Dac But ! Does MQA sign any documents that forbid MQA for sharing any design charcterictisc of the sent in Dac/streamer ? Makes you wonder what's in the paper trail or as they say "it's in the fine print"
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I was talking with the SGM guys and they showed me a simple ethernet adaptor to get rid of the noise on the line so I don't need to even finish my optical converter.
    Unless you're under a non-disclosure agreement, would you be so kind as to share the details on that recommended Ethernet adapter with us? Could be very helpful for others, TIA!

Bill, no non disclosure. Let me ask first. They aren't expensive and they also aren't selling them. He offered the advice. Let me check. thanks.

Thanks, after a quick look at their available models I'm guessing that the EN30 would probably be the one to choose. Any further thoughts on that choice from our network experts?

Audioshark

Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trust the guy I was speaking with. He gave me a couple of others to look at, but these are cheap and easy. You can also use the fiber optic converter deal with it if you feel you need it. I doubt that anyone really will need it. So many of these things are overkill and are you really lowering the noise floor that much more. Fiber optics will lower it GREATLY. I've heard it in too many places to know. I was also told that this inexpensive and easy to use device does nearly the same thing and they couldn't hear any difference between the two. Makes sense, but what do I know, lol. Would love to hear the engineers also.

There are 3 parts to MQA.
    1) 2 stage unfolding
    2) Filter adjustment to undo the "evil" of the ADC used in the original recording
    3) the lights that guanrantee provenance and artist approval.

Tidal can do part 1. You need MQA compliance to get 2 and 3. This means you HAVE to hand over details of your internal design and collaborate with them.
    NORMAN

so many designers won't do that. Hard to see anyone sharing since one of the owners of MQA is Stewart. Interesting. I've heard it a few times over the last couple of years and usually through a full Meridian system. For me, that's not a great high end system, but it sounded so much better with MQA, than the same recordings without it. Again, so much misinformation. Thanks for the tips.

I've got an incoming Berkeley Reference 2 DAC with full MQA compatibility. The DAC is all ready to be shipped, Berkeley is just waiting for signoff by the MQA folks before they can ship it to me. I don't really know too much about the MQA process but the timing was right and I paid a few extra dollars to have it included in my unit. I'm looking forward to taking delivery, so I can give my opinion of it. I'm also really looking forward to using it with Tidal.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    I've got an incoming Berkeley Reference 2 DAC with full MQA compatibility. The DAC is all ready to be shipped, Berkeley is just waiting for signoff by the MQA folks before they can ship it to me. I don't really know too much about the MQA process but the timing was right and I paid a few extra dollars to have it included in my unit. I'm looking forward to taking delivery, so I can give my opinion of it. I'm also really looking forward to using it with Tidal.

Best,
    Ken
    Wow. I look forward to your impressions. Especially since this should be a full MQA unfold in combination with Tidal? If you don't mind me asking. Or maybe Mike can chime in. Did Berkeley increase the MSRP of the Reference DAC? As a a result of MQA?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Wow. I look forward to your impressions. Especially since this should be a full MQA unfold in combination with Tidal? If you don't mind me asking. Or maybe Mike can chime in. Did Berkeley increase the MSRP of the Reference DAC? As a a result of MQA?

Thanks
    I believe the MSRP on the Berkeley MQA upgrade was $500, most of which goes to MQA licensing fees. So based on that, the MSRP of the Berk Ref DAC 2 would go to $20K from $19.5K.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Thanks, after a quick look at their available models I'm guessing that the EN30 would probably be the one to choose. Any further thoughts on that choice from our network experts?
    At CA forum you'll find discussions about these medical-grade network isolator, comparison with audiophile product RLI-1, and fiber media converters. I think 6moons also have reviews for two or more of these network isolator products.

(Note: I've also read a few reports that claim isolators may also have detrimental effects on SQ while reducing noise...)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post

Best,
    Ken
    Excellent!

Enjoy.
    NORMAN

The Ayre QX5 Twenty now handles MQA.

Firmware update to follow.
    Status update:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...comment=706355

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...comment=706409

So it doesn't do MQA. Very interesting. I was just posting in March what Alex at Ayre told me to share. Obviously he didn't know what was going on at the time. MQA just seems to difficult to understand at times no matter how simple folks try to make it for the mainstream, lol. Sorry to all who misunderstood.

Ayre are quite conservative on format evolution I guess. Remember how long it took them to get on board with DSD. Maybe it is a similar thing with MQA.

It also appears that MQA is still a bit of a political hot potato as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Ayre are quite conservative on format evolution I guess. Remember how long it took them to get on board with DSD.
    http://www.ayre.com/insights_dsdvspcm.htm

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...e-so-annoying/

Audioshark

So it doesn't do MQA. Very interesting. I was just posting in March what Alex at Ayre told me to share. Obviously he didn't know what was going on at the time. MQA just seems to difficult to understand at times no matter how simple folks try to make it for the mainstream, lol. Sorry to all who misunderstood.
    I echo those sentiments as well. Alex told me the same thing. Said a firmware update was imminent.

Audioshark

I have updated the thread title and made a few changes to correct the misinformation we were given.

I have updated the thread title and made a few changes to correct the misinformation we were given.
    SO it appears from Charles comments over at CA, Ayre will not be doing MQA at this time.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    SO it appears from Charles comments over at CA, Ayre will not be doing MQA at this time.
    I would suppose so.

I would suppose so.
    Once in a lifetime I tried to be politically correct, hence the cautious statement Ayre QX5 Twenty.

I see Charley's point, but at the day's end, if MQA will prevail I believe he will come around. He has a business to run after all.

But that might take a while. Let's keep in mind, it takes a bit more than a bit of Tidal streaming to establish a new format in the market.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: Ayre QX5 Twenty

MQA implementation takes like 2 years to complete now. Its is a non trivial endeavour and the queue is loooong.
    MQA future is really in streaming, it makes sense there. I hardly see a huge market for downloads, as any potential purchaser already likely has Tidal.
    NORMAN

In the Dec issue the Ayre QX5/20 received the Stereophile honors for 2017 Digital Product of the Year together with the Mytek Brooklyn.

Congrats Charley!

I'm still loving mine. Have listened to so many of the newer ones that cost more. Some are a tad more detailed, some are less so, but maybe warmer, but so far I have yet to hear any that would make me want to make a change. Digital is just so system dependent. More so than any other component I feel.

Hi all. not sure ref anyone will want to respond to this thread anymore. I have gotten the Emo 30 ethernet filter. I use it with 2 lengths of the new WireWorld cat 8 Platinum cables. My router is the Eero mesh system. I have three units in the townhouse (2600 sf plus the basement). One unit is IN the basement, one is behind my main system and one is behind the Linn Kiko all in one system in the master BR. I have the Eero router behind the main system plugged into the Wyrd4Sound LPS unit using it's high current supply and the low supply running my Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh reclocking unit for the TV, Bluray and Apple TV units if I recall (I can't remember if Apple TV is plugged in or not, lol). I have the W4S unit plugged into the Audioquest Niagara 1000 using it's stock cable.

I hear a larger sound stage adn a cleaner presentation when using Tidal streaming via the Ayre unit. The noise floor is nearly non existent. I was amazed by the filter difference, but honestly, when I plugged the router into the LPS unit, I heard a larger difference. Same thing happened when I did the reverse to double check. The filter hasn't degraded the sound so far from what I hear, but it's also limited use as I normally use my Steve Nugent server with Paul Hynes LPS unit. I have The Memory Player coming in on the 10th. Sam Laufer/Mark built their brand new quad AK Dac chipset into the server. It has too many cool goodies in there to list here, but I'm praying this DAC beats the top 20k DAC's on the market as they think it does. I know Sam is using our friends Davinci mk2 as his reference as well as other 20k plus DAC's. I'll believe that when I hear it as I"m all about proof and not puff. If so, I"m lucky. they were also kind enough to install a nice analog pre in addition to the digital one it comes with. This way I can upgrade to mono blocks or a stereo amp that will fit my 'normal' sized TV cabinet that I have no choice but to use. I'm bummed as I was strongly considering Mike's Constellation Taurus stereo amp or a friends Centaur mk 1 amp. Neither will fit properly which sucks. I am also looking strongly at the new Vandersteen M5 mono blocks that list for just under 16k and will be shipping very very soon I was told.

I need to sell my Ayre AX5/20 and then figure out how much I will have to work with for my next amp. Baby steps for me, lol. Just wanted to share my ethernet filter thoughts.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Ayre QX5 Twenty