Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Nagra amps and speakers matching

I'm interested to learn about good (and bad) experiences matching Nagra amps (specially the classic line) with several speakers brands. I noticed that recently at most shows, Nagra is presented with Wilson speakers. Would that be the best match?

I have a pair of Magico S1mkII and am thinking about asking a home audition of the classic amp in its power and integrated version. However, I wouldn't want to waste my dealer time if it is known to be a bad match. My main concern is if the 100w would be enough for a Magico S series speaker (thinking about upgrading to the new S3mkII). Since the classic line is class A until about 20 or 30W (afaik) that could be enough for my listening levels, but would like to hear others opinios.

This dealer also has Soulution, and I'm curious about the 330 integrated, which apparently will have a mono configuration. But since there is no launch date, it is not an option for now.

Thanks,
    António
    System: Magico S1 MkII, DCS Puccini Player & Clock, Aurender N100C, SME Mod 15, SME IV, Lyra Etna, Nagra VPS
    Headfi: Violectric HPA V281, Sony Z1R, Kimber Axios Cu
    Cables: Transparent Premium USB, Gen5 Reference 75 Ohm, Ultra interconnects, phono and speaker cables
    Power: Shunyata EU7, Alpha NR, Furutech Powerflux-18E
    Accessories: Finite Elemente 600 APS, several Cerabases, Ceraballs and Cerapucs

Re: Nagra amps and speakers matching

The Classic Amp and Int is around 10w in class A. Their big HD Amp is 30w in class A.

I think if you have a good dealer, he should want you to have an audition no matter what. Unless he feels it won't be a suitable match in the first place.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I think if you have a good dealer, he should want you to have an audition no matter what. Unless he feels it won't be a suitable match in the first place.
    I followed your advice and am not sorry. I received the amp yesterday and after some burn-in it seems to be a great match for my speakers. I'll need a few more days to come to a conclusion, but for now I'm pretty impressed!
    The main purpose of this thread was to learn about members experiences matching Nagra amps with different speakers brands. From what I've been reading all over the internet, I'm yet to learn about a bad matching experience.
    System: Magico S1 MkII, DCS Puccini Player & Clock, Aurender N100C, SME Mod 15, SME IV, Lyra Etna, Nagra VPS
    Cables: Transparent Premium USB, Gen5 Reference 75 Ohm, Ultra interconnects, phono and speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by pessoa00 View Post
    I'm interested to learn about good (and bad) experiences matching Nagra amps (specially the classic line) with several speakers brands. I noticed that recently at most shows, Nagra is presented with Wilson speakers. Would that be the best match?

I have a pair of Magico S1mkII and am thinking about asking a home audition of the classic amp in its power and integrated version. However, I wouldn't want to waste my dealer time if it is known to be a bad match. My main concern is if the 100w would be enough for a Magico S series speaker (thinking about upgrading to the new S3mkII). Since the classic line is class A until about 20 or 30W (afaik) that could be enough for my listening levels, but would like to hear others opinios.

This dealer also has Soulution, and I'm curious about the 330 integrated, which apparently will have a mono configuration. But since there is no launch date, it is not an option for now.

Thanks,
    António
    Joining this s little late. I have a pair of Stenheim Alumine 5s connected to my Nagra Classic amp. Am very happy with this combo but am moving to a Soulution solution as I want to reduce the amount of components (6 nagras) to 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jussy1254 View Post
    Joining this s little late. I have a pair of Stenheim Alumine 5s connected to my Nagra Classic amp. Am very happy with this combo but am moving to a Soulution solution as I want to reduce the amount of components (6 nagras) to 2.
    I've been listening Alumine 5s in the Stenheim demo room where they've been driven by DarTzeel integrated amp - oh mama what a combo....if you can, try to listen to this combo before pulling the trigger (just for comparison)...

Cheers
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

I loved listening to the Stenheim Alumine 5s with Audio Consulting electronics in Munich 2016, and the bigger Stenheims in Munich 2014. However they did not sound right in Munich 2017 though that was more of a set up issue. The bass and soundstage of the Alumine 5 even in small rooms next to walls is phenomenal, and they are so fast and dynamic. Would love to hear them set up properly like near Geneva

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    I've been listening Alumine 5s in the Stenheim demo room where they've been driven by DarTzeel integrated amp - oh mama what a combo....if you can, try to listen to this combo before pulling the trigger (just for comparison)...

Cheers
    I had a pair of Magico Q1. No thanks
    i had a pair of Krell modularis. Not bad but worked well in my previous space
    i've listened to the YGs. No thanks
    i have a pair of Stenheim. Yes please. Any time, all the time

i have a thing for aluminium speaker cabinets.

I had a pair of Magico Q1. No thanks
    i had a pair of Krell modularis. Not bad but worked well in my previous space
    i've listened to the YGs. No thanks
    i have a pair of Stenheim. Yes please. Any time, all the time

i have a thing for aluminium speaker cabinets.
    I like Stenheim more than Magico but YG when set up is excellent. It can sound harsh otherwise. It needs a good amp. I heard it best with luxman m900u, think that Vitus will be great choice as well. But Stenheim Alumine 5 and YG Hailey are my two favorites for medium room high budget

Which Soulution components are you looking at? I’m curious because I’m also considering Soulution myself

Solution 530 and 541. I feel this is the perfect 2 'box' solution for me

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Nagra amps and speakers matching