Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

DeVore Orangutan Flagship in the works!

I looked around but didn't see any post on the latest news from DeVore. The O96 will get a big brother! A cost no-object Orangutan model is in the works.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/...n-loudspeaker/
    CES 2017 video: DeVore Fidelity to unleash $20,000+ flagship Orangutan loudspeaker
    Posted on January 20, 2017 by Rafe Arnott in CES 2017
    I got lucky in Vegas.
    No, no… not the way you think.
    I got lucky with news from John DeVore of DeVore Fidelity.
    He’s working on his new flagship Orangutan-series loudspeaker. A lot of time, and effort is being focused on making this a truly worthy stablemate to the king of the DeVore speaker jungle, and DeVore said that while the price most likely will be north of $20,000 USD for the new model, he is not building to a price point. He’s building it to be the best he is capable of, which is testament to his desire to push his speaker-design limits. Those who’ve heard them are familiar with what DeVore’s transducers are capable of when it comes to playback of the flesh-and-bone variety. His Orangutan line are culpable in the art of sonic seduction: Ditto for his Gibbon X, and 3XL, The Nines… the list goes on. Having had my living room graced with a pair of O/96s for a number of months summer before last, I’m intimately familiar with what these waveform translators are capable of.

DeVore O/96 (left), and O/93. Naming convention is based on efficiency… could we see an O/98?
    But let’s skip ahead a bit in this report. It was at RMAF in October that I first got wind DeVore was monkeying around with larger bass drivers, bigger enclosures, and bronze tweeter horns in an effort to push the limits of his O-series designs. I spoke with him about it then, but getting the whole story has proven to take longer than I initially anticipated. Patience has paid off because when I caught up with him at CES in Las Vegas, and asked what he had going on in his Brooklyn Naval Shipyard production studio/factory, I was rewarded with confirmation that he was indeed hunkered-down with a new tweeter, mid/bass Alnico-magnet prototype drivers, and research into a number of new enclosure materials, and shapes for a sibling to the O/96. He said he’d always envisioned the Orangutan series as a three-speaker lineup. The O/93s followed the 96s in short order as the entry-level model, but it’s taken longer to refine, and expand on the design of the 96 to the point where DeVore is ready to announce another incarnation.

CES 2017 coverage brought to you by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs.

The prodigal son returns with Sugden at CES in Las Vegas earlier this January. DeVore looks on at right.
    While he’s still hesitant about a firm launch date for a prototype version, have no doubt that this is happening. It could be late 2017, or early 2018 but the O/96 will find itself a middle child at last, sandwiched between the O/93, and its yet unnamed big brother. Watch the video at the drop for the full story.
    I apologize for the poor quality of the video, my camera was suffering technical issues that day. Thanks again to John DeVore for his patience in making this happen.
    –Rafe Arnott

Re: DeVore Orangutan Flagship in the works!

It will be fun to see. I like the O96
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Nice! Exciting. I too like O96.

Me too.

Any news in this theme?

The new Orangutan reference was introduced at RMAF. Rave reviews so far. $80K estimated selling price. IMO I was a bit disappointed to see what looks like 2 extra 096's added to the set up. I know they are much more than that but was hoping for something more dynamic visually.
    I'm love my 096's.
    DALE

Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Katoomer View Post
    The new Orangutan reference was introduced at RMAF. Rave reviews so far. $80K estimated selling price. IMO I was a bit disappointed to see what looks like 2 extra 096's added to the set up. I know they are much more than that but was hoping for something more dynamic visually.
    I'm love my 096's.
    I agree. The extra tweeters must be 24 karat gold.

I ordered my 96 two weeks ago. I can't wait to set them up at the cottage.

Envoyé de mon LG-H933 en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Katoomer View Post
    I'm love my 096's.
    Yes, for 85k I was hoping for more than a scaled-up Orangutan. It even appears the cabinets are similar as the 12k O/96.

I realize all those custom drivers and waveguide horns are expensive, but it feels incomplete - now when I hear a set, maybe that will change.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Banned

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Yes, for 85k I was hoping for more than a scaled-up Orangutan. It even appears the cabinets are similar as the 12k O/96.

I realize all those custom drivers and waveguide horns are expensive, but it feels incomplete - now when I hear a set, maybe that will change.
    The parts cost is not expensive...Devores project develop time is...dependent on his hourly...

Looks like he is trying to recoup that cost in a couple of sales though...a real shame...I really like the O96...

Audioshark

I got to hear these at RMAF - twice. I asked for clarification on the price three times.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

DeVores for $85K?---you gotta be kidding!

Bruce

What do you guys think John's realistic sales expectations are for this model. For the most part he has done it and now understands the parts, cost and time it takes to build it. This pair will most likely live at the shop, his house and at shows. If someone has to have a pair they pay their money up front and wait months for delivery. Sam with the complete Verity Monsalvat system which left the factory showroom for the first time ever. If you have the money for what ever variation of that system you want and the ballroom size listening room it takes then you pay the dealer the $675,000+ and wait for 6 months and up for the dealer and distributor to come set it up. More about demonstrating company capabilities tan sales.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob181 View Post
    The parts cost is not expensive...Devores project develop time is...dependent on his hourly...

Looks like he is trying to recoup that cost in a couple of sales though...a real shame...I really like the O96...
    have you seen the custom made bronze baskets and other parts on his FB page?

https://www.facebook.com/devorefidelity/
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

have you seen the custom made bronze baskets and other parts on his FB page?

https://www.facebook.com/devorefidelity/
    Better off using copper & better off using it as a gasket between the speaker frame & the cabinet it is going into - at least on the woofer...
    It can be used as a wave guide on the tweeter where it provides significant & measurable sonic benefits as it does using it as a gasket on the woofer...
    Retail - about $1500.00 for a pair of speakers...these are on my speakers...

A much more expensive investment is the crossover...this is mine...
    All Dueland VSF...Path Audio resisters & Jantzen foil inductors...

Now THAT is a crossover...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good luck for that speaker design. Looks like he is using four boxes for stereo.

Even I love John Devore and respect his work but it better be damn good to sell those around 80 k mark. There are too much competition in that price range.
    Paul

Audioshark

It’s what happens when you let a stereo shop salesman build speakers. Horns by Mike coming soon. DeVore Orangutan Flagship in the works!. Starting at $750,000/pair. And of course, quality parts from Parts Express!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Mike I will be sending my deposit this morning by wire transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It’s what happens when you let a stereo shop salesman build speakers. Horns by Mike coming soon. DeVore Orangutan Flagship in the works!. Starting at $750,000/pair. And of course, quality parts from Parts Express!

Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Mike I will be sending my deposit this morning by wire transfer.
    Fully accepted! Are you opting for the Brass horns? I’ll see if I can make the soundstage come out of the floor too.

Mike I want all the metal items machined from solid silver please and want solid Brazilian rosewood for the cabinets. No veneer please.

Fully accepted! Are you opting for the Brass horns? I’ll see if I can make the soundstage come out of the floor too.

Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Don't be a hater.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. dunno about pure silver affecting soundwaves, but it works well against Lycans and Vampires

Audioshark

Soundflied Monitor $2400 a pair

Soundfield New Signature Mega Monitor $250,000,000 a pair
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Soundflied Monitor $2400 a pair

Soundfield New Signature Mega Monitor $250,000,000 a pair
    LMAO.

Good one
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Only with the solid gold horns...inside speaker only, the outside speakers are woofers only

I'm sorry, but I find this in poor taste. Making fun of a very successful company's background?

and since when has John Devore used off the shelf parts?

+1

I'm sorry, but I find this in poor taste. Making fun of a very successful company's background?

and since when has John Devore used off the shelf parts?

I personally find the price of $85K ridiculous.
    Lets start with a pair of 096's for $12K then add another similar sized box of drivers for another $12K then let's reward John for the design process with another $12K.
    You are now up to $36K. Still high but where does the other $50K come into the picture?
    John's speakers are nice but this doesn't add up in my book.
    Just saying
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

I don’t see and/or understand the pricing. If a pair of O96s is $12K, asking $85K for an additional two boxes it’s just ridiculous. Now, there is always a buyer...

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Of course, he has to have good reputation to sell for those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Of course, he has to have good reputation to sell for those prices.
    Those prices have done nothing FOR his reputation...

For sure thats correct.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

DeVore Orangutan Flagship in the works!