Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Best speakers for Shindo Apetite

Hi,
    my name is Djole and I'm from Belgrade, Serbia.
    I'm Audioshark forum member few days and this is my first post on this site.
    My new amp - Shindo Apetite will come to me at the end of february.
    I still have my old speakers Marten Duke II. I like them very much, but I'm afraid that this will be bad match (4ohm, 88db).
    If somebody have expirience with Shindo Apetite, or have opinion regarding speakers it would be great!!!
    I have possibilty to take Ocellia Calliope 21, or Living Voice IBX-RW for this moment, but I will consider all options.
    Also Devore Fidelity O/93 is in some combination...

Thanks

My system
    Shindo Apetite, Oracle Delphi Mk V, SME V, EAR 834P Deluxe, Shindo silver interconect, Auditorium 23 interconect, Shindo Mr. T Power Conditioner
    My room is 6 x 4 meters with speakers on wider side

Super Moderator

Re: Best speakers for Shindo Apetite

Welcome to the forum Djole, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome Djole - I have had Shindo components including pre amp and amp, though no experience with the Shindo Apetite. The output of my amps was similar to the Apetite. I had mine paired with the Devore O/96 speakers, it was a great pairing, other Devore Speakers such as the 3XLs might also make a good pairing.

As always if possible I recommend you audition before any purchase.
    Roon Rock | Ortofon Cadenza Black | Miyajima Zero | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio G3

Take a look at the Heco Direkt or Dreiklang. Both tested in the mid 90's and shown many times with low powered SET amps.

http://www.heco-audio.de/en/loudspea...rekt-dreiklang
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

TANNOY Westminster GR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks Baddog!
    What are you thinking about O/93?

Thanks guys!
    Mike, I thin that Westminster is to big for my room, maybe Kensingtons?

Devore O is a great match with that amp and clearly JD uses Shindo in development.

Other high efficiency matches might include Voxativ, Zu, and Spatial Audio
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

To answer the O/93 question. I know of a user using O/93s with similar gear as yours. He was happy with it, however after time he upgraded to the O/96. A number of factors come into play here, room size, size of your budget, etc... The O/93 is a very nice speaker, the O/96 simply gives you more of those wonderful qualities, plus IMHO more bass.
    Roon Rock | Ortofon Cadenza Black | Miyajima Zero | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio G3

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Djole View Post
    Thanks guys!
    Mike, I thin that Westminster is to big for my room, maybe Kensingtons?
    Yes, those would work too. So would the Avantgarde series of speakers. Check out the Zero TA's (new) or Uno XD's. Both are very very easy loads and super efficient.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

For small/medium rooms, I would think the Shindo Lafite speaker would be good. I'm considering moving from my O96 to the Lafite potentially, haven't demo'd them but if you want to have an all Shindo system, I think that would potentially be a great match.

Hello,
    I owned the Apetite for about two years. Stunning little amp but really needs very high efficient speakers and easy load.
    The O93 looks like a good choice.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Thanks guys!
    It was very helpful!
    I was assume that Devore is probably best match for money, only problem is that I can't demo Devore speakers in my country...
    But thank to you guys, I'm know more relax and open to make order.
    First I will try Ocellia Calliope .21, becouse my dealer have it, and based on specs it maybe can be good combination...

One more question. Is it safe to try my Marten Duke II (4ohm, 88db) with Apetite?
    I was read on some forum that this (4ohm speaker) can make damage to this kind of amp?

Hi Djole,
    I wouldn't hook a 4ohm 88db speaker to the Apetite for fear of damaging it. This is the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of sensitivity for speakers design for Shindo (ideally they like 16ohm 100db).

I would also point out that while it's widely accepted that Devore/Shindo is a good match, ToneImports hasn't formally acknowledged that Devore is a recommended for Shindo amps. They recommend A23, LM Audio, and Shindo speakers. I will say that Tone does represent these brands in the US so that's likely why he's recommending them, but I think the recommendation is because they truly are fantastic matches for Shindo gear and great speakers in their own right. Some Shindo/Devore dealers have recommended certain pairings for Devore as well, but in my experience they have recommended more towards the ToneImports brands mentioned. FWIW, I think the Haut Brion is a good match for the O93/O96, more so than EL34 based amps in my experience and from what I've read. I've had the Devore Nines and thought that the EL34 based amps sounded better on those. I think the Apetite would do ok on the higher sensitivity speakers of these brands mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Djole View Post
    Thanks guys!
    It was very helpful!
    I was assume that Devore is probably best match for money, only problem is that I can't demo Devore speakers in my country...
    But thank to you guys, I'm know more relax and open to make order.
    First I will try Ocellia Calliope .21, becouse my dealer have it, and based on specs it maybe can be good combination...

One more question. Is it safe to try my Marten Duke II (4ohm, 88db) with Apetite?
    I was read on some forum that this (4ohm speaker) can make damage to this kind of amp?

What are your room dimensions?

No one can reliably suggest what might possibly work without some idea of the room itself.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Quote Originally Posted by cfz View Post
    FWIW, I think the Haut Brion is a good match for the O93/O96, more so than EL34 based amps in my experience and from what I've read. I've had the Devore Nines and thought that the EL34 based amps sounded better on those. I think the Apetite would do ok on the higher sensitivity speakers of these brands mentioned.
    Thanks CFZ!
    Apetite is based on 6v6 tubes. Is it more similar to HB's 6L6 or to EL34?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    What are your room dimensions?

No one can reliably suggest what might possibly work without some idea of the room itself.
    My room is 6 x 4 meters, and speakers must be on wider side...

Quote Originally Posted by cfz View Post
    Hi Djole,
    I wouldn't hook a 4ohm 88db speaker to the Apetite for fear of damaging it. This is the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of sensitivity for speakers design for Shindo (ideally they like 16ohm 100db).

I would also point out that while it's widely accepted that Devore/Shindo is a good match, ToneImports hasn't formally acknowledged that Devore is a recommended for Shindo amps. They recommend A23, LM Audio, and Shindo speakers. I will say that Tone does represent these brands in the US so that's likely why he's recommending them, but I think the recommendation is because they truly are fantastic matches for Shindo gear and great speakers in their own right. Some Shindo/Devore dealers have recommended certain pairings for Devore as well, but in my experience they have recommended more towards the ToneImports brands mentioned. FWIW, I think the Haut Brion is a good match for the O93/O96, more so than EL34 based amps in my experience and from what I've read. I've had the Devore Nines and thought that the EL34 based amps sounded better on those. I think the Apetite would do ok on the higher sensitivity speakers of these brands mentioned.
    Some great suggestions/thoughts here from CFZ. If it were me, I would be looking towards Shindo, A23 or LM. And on the DeVore side, I would suggest the 96's.
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

Shindo speakers would be best. If not Auditorium 23. If Devore I would use the O96 with your amp due to the higher efficiency. As others suggested do not use your amp with the Marten speakers.
    Jim Perry

Garrard 301 TT in Woodsong Plinth
    Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Benz Micro LP-S mr Cartridge
    Aesthetix Rhea Signature Tube phono preamp
    Aesthetix Calypso Tube preamp
    Aesthetix Atlas Amplifier
    Proac Response D-40r Speaker
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

Thanks guys!

The Rogers Monitor work very well.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Best speakers for Shindo Apetite