Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Shindo Montrachet with Snell Type A speakers - impedance

Hello! I have a Shindo Montrachet EL34 amp (LOVE IT) and Vandersteen 2wq subs that cross at 100hz with passive first order MP-5 crossovers. I either need to sell the amp or sell my Quad ESL-63 speakers, which I also love, because the authorized Shindo dealer tells me the Quads could damage the Shindo (it is really designed for higher efficiency 16 ohm Shindo speaker loads). I believe the Quads drop to 3.5 ohms or so in the bass and rise quite high in the treble.

I cannot afford Shindo speakers right not but I have an opportunity to acquire an old friend -- Snell Type A speakers. I would bi-amp them with the Vandersteen subs. I am not worried right now about the Shindo's ability to "drive" the Snells in terms of power/dynamics. But I am concerned that the Snells could also present difficulty/danger for the Shindo due to impedance. The Snells have a minimum impedance of 4 ohms, but I do not know the nominal impedance, the maximum impedance or the full impedance curve. I'm trying to find out, if anyone knows the impedance curve.

Does anyone know if the Snells would be safer with the Shindo than the Quads are? Does the fact that the Snells are a dynamic speaker and not an electrostatic inherently make it easier for the amplifier to stomach?

Thanks for any thoughts. Again, not looking for sound quality advice or speculation. I will be able to listen to the Snells before buying. But I don't want to endanger my Shindo amp.

Super Moderator

Re: Shindo Montrachet with Snell Type A speakers - impedance

Welcome to the forum montaldo, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I'm not sure where the major dip in impedance occurs with your Quads (perhaps it is published somewhere online) but the crossovers used with the Vandersteen subs cut the low frequencies below 100hz (although with a shallow 6db slope) therefore easing the load on the amp. Are there multiple output speaker taps on your amp? If so, changing to the highest setting may help to correct any impedance differences.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

In a 1989 Stereophile review of the Quads is an impedance plot of your speakers along with reccomendations of using the 4 ohm taps on your amp. Perhaps a reading of that article may help you with some of your questions. These speakers do impose a very interesting load.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Core Audio Design Rack

I would ask Shindo dealer about the Snells
    DALE

Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

Ideally and in a prefect world, it would nice to keep both the Shindo amp and Quads. Of course that would require both an amp suitable for the Quads and a speaker suitable for the Shindo. Pricey but way cheaper than a Shindo speaker. If the Snell mentioned is that big floorstanding 3-way from the 70's, probably not a perfect match either. If it would have been one of the old Snell 2-way designs, you'd be good to go. If you're set on retaining to Shindo amp, look for an efficient design that presents an impedance curve that stays at 8 ohms and above.....for the most part anyway. 2-way designs from Devore ( see Katooner below who uses Devore O/96/Shindo) and Audio Note are the first that come to mind. FWIW, twin single driver designs from Omega can be wired as 16 ohm loads. I have a friend who has used dc10 speakers for years with Shindo amps. So there are a lot of possibilities at various price points. Just depends on your budget.

Perhaps an e-mail to Tone Imports, the North American distributor for Shindo, would answer all your questions.
    The one thing to note is the use of the Vandersteen crossovers which attenuate the frequencies below 100hz thereby relieving the amplifier of the demanding duty of trying to power those low frequencies.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Core Audio Design Rack

Hello,

Why don't you look for Altec speakers ? Shindo speakers are based on Altec.
    The synergy with Shindo is fabulous.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Thanks all, for the advice. Several people have warned me away from using the Snells with the Shindo. I am going to stick to the Quads long term because it is very difficult for me to find speakers I like. So I have the Shindo up for sale and am considering replacement amps.
    I appreciate everyone's advice.

Its not working properly ok.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Shindo Montrachet with Snell Type A speakers - impedance