Review: Wyred4Sound's STP-SE .... - Page 8
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wyred4Sound's STP-SE ....

Best sounding pre I have ever heard. I cannot imagine getting better sound... the rest of my system would limit that
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | Audio Mirror SET 45 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | T+A AMP 8 | Falcon NW Tiki | Roon & HQPlayer | W4S Recovery w/iPower | AQ Niagara 1000 | Oppo BDP-105 | Technics ST-9030 | KEF R700 | Focal Clear

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Randy,

It’s an absolute winner. The standard version is good but the stage 2 kills it. It’s seriously great.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't using the DAC8 volume control ahead of W4S pre be more transparent than adding the Rothwells? The DAC8's volume control is a resistor ladder type and the Rothwells also work by putting resistors in series with the signal, so my bet would be on the resistors inside the DAC8.

How does the W4S pre improves the sound compared to the DAC8 driving the amps directly BTW?

4. Likes audio.bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you flip the switch on the DAC 8 to line it completely bypasses the volume circuit. One less circuit to go through. The Rothwell's are passive, should be completely transparent.

Going through the W4S pre-amp is more transparent, more air, a bit smoother, definitely more musical. It seems that a very good pre-amp really opens the music making it more involved, less sterile in my view. I am at a lose to explain why.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | Audio Mirror SET 45 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | T+A AMP 8 | Falcon NW Tiki | Roon & HQPlayer | W4S Recovery w/iPower | AQ Niagara 1000 | Oppo BDP-105 | Technics ST-9030 | KEF R700 | Focal Clear

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion if the extra connectors, components and wire should add a tiny amount of noise and distortion, the benefit of having a powerful and very regulated power supply from the preamp helps transients come to life, and probably removes their distortion. This is my logical theoretical explanation of why adding a preamp just sounds better, as was the case here too.
    1. Sonore ultraRendu - Uptone ISO Regen - Calyx Femto - Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE stage 2 - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
    2. JRiver - Burson Conductor V2+ - Audeze LCD-XC - Calyx Femti - Monitor Audio PL100
    3. JRiver - SMSL iDEA - 1More Triple Driver IEM

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds completely reasonable to me. All I know is that whenever I have added a dedicated pre-amp versus a DAC controlling the volume, including the very good T+A DAC 8 DSD the system always sounds better with the pre-amplifier in line. It may also have something to do with equipment doing only the function they specialized in versus trying to perform multiple tasks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    When you flip the switch on the DAC 8 to line it completely bypasses the volume circuit. One less circuit to go through. The Rothwell's are passive, should be completely transparent.
    The volume circuit inside the DAC8 is also fully passive, there aren't any aditional active components that add gain in Variable mode compared to Line; it is made up of passive components, Melf resistors, which just attenuate the output stage signal, the max output level being the same in Line and Variable modes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    It seems that a very good pre-amp really opens the music making it more involved, less sterile in my view. I am at a loose to explain why.
    One possible factor is the buffer.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    The volume circuit inside the DAC8 is also fully passive, there aren't any aditional active components that add gain in Variable mode compared to Line; it is made up of passive components, Melf resistors, which just attenuate the output stage signal, the max output level being the same in Line and Variable modes.
    I certainly do not disagree with your assessment. Here is from T+A on the volume circuit:

"Two gold-contact relays are provided to by-pass the volume control, i.e. it can be removed entirely from the signal path when not required."

It seems like they go to a high level to remove it from the signal path and by using two gold-contact relays. This tells me they take it seriously and want to make sure if the volume is not being used to by-pass the circuit entirely for even higher performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    One possible factor is the buffer.
    Again Peter, this certainly also makes sense. I personally believe it is probably all of the above that have contributions in making a system perform better when a dedicated pre-amplifier is used.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8