Review: Wyred4Sound's STP-SE .... - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wyred4Sound's STP-SE ....

A fuse is easy, but I would stay away from other places that do "mods". There are places out there offering cheaper or what they call "better" upgrades and they, in general are not upgrades and some in fact actually hurt the performance of the pre-amp. Other than something like a fuse definitely make sure that any upgrades are done by Wyred themselves.... the only way to get upgrades on the STP-SE done is to send it to their facility in Atascadero, CA.

I call EJ a friend and know the crew at W4S. I actually worked for EJ for a few months before getting a position back in my normal field. So I do know what I talk about in this regards.
    T+A DAC8 DSD|Falcon Tiki | Roon & HQPlayer | Audio Mirror 45 SET | McIntosh MC754 | KEF R700
    Dennis Had Dragon Inspire IHA-1
    | Focal Clear | Oppo BDP-105 | Technics ST-9030 |
    Audio Quest Niagara 1000

Post Thanks / Like

This is the place I was talking about for the mods..I think he is a reputable guy, I think he owns Parts Connexion now?

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/modifi.../wyred-4-sound

The only reason why I might consider these guys is because it is in Canada, then I don't have any cross border issues
    I believe it was on Audio Shark where someone talked about the Chris Johnson mods.
    I don't know how the 2 different mods differ sonically. Like I was saying they do use the op amps, not sure if that is good or bad.

I talked to EJ and he said go ahead and do the Furutech AC-1501 IEC...did that myself and when my fuse comes in I will do that too,that's all though.
    It was just an easy DIY thing that I could manage. EJ sounded like a really nice guy in his emails.

http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1870/ I got the rhodium one.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Chris is a reputable guy who was one of the founders and owners of Sonic Frontiers and Anthem. After he and his partners sold out to Paradigm he went back to running Parts Connexion which actually was before the other two companies. He still has some of the techs from the amp companies on staff and they continue to work on and update Anthem and SF gear. As far as I know Walter and Underwood HiFi are not W4S dealers anymore so don't know if Chris is still doing the mods to the STP-SE. Give him a call he will be happy to talk to you.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Nuprime CDT-8, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's and SC, Triode Wire Labs PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darcman View Post
    This is the place I was talking about for the mods..I think he is a reputable guy, I think he owns Parts Connexion now?

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/modifi.../wyred-4-sound

The only reason why I might consider these guys is because it is in Canada, then I don't have any cross border issues
    I believe it was on Audio Shark where someone talked about the Chris Johnson mods.
    I don't know how the 2 different mods differ sonically. Like I was saying they do use the op amps, not sure if that is good or bad.

I talked to EJ and he said go ahead and do the Furutech AC-1501 IEC...did that myself and when my fuse comes in I will do that too,that's all though.
    It was just an easy DIY thing that I could manage. EJ sounded like a really nice guy in his emails.

http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1870/ I got the rhodium one.

On an upgrade I do not believe there is a cross border issue since it would be dealt with as a unit being sent in for a repair, I believe.

Bottom line is that it is your call, but I would not purchase an upgrade through them. By the way, Underwood is in Hawaii.

I will say it only once again, do not purchase any upgrade for a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE except from Wyred 4 Sound. It is not an improvement and you are not, in any way shape or form getting a Stage 1 or 2, and you may very well actually hurt your pre-amplifier. That is my last warning...

Your IEC and a fuse upgrade is not the same thing....
    T+A DAC8 DSD|Falcon Tiki | Roon & HQPlayer | Audio Mirror 45 SET | McIntosh MC754 | KEF R700
    Dennis Had Dragon Inspire IHA-1
    | Focal Clear | Oppo BDP-105 | Technics ST-9030 |
    Audio Quest Niagara 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say I got another pair of XLR interconnects today. I was running HT Magic Link II XLR from the Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC into the STP-SE and HT ML II RCA out to my Red Dragon S500s. When I got the STP-SE I did try RCA in and XLR out. I didn't do any real critical listening that way. I think for some reason I liked XLR in and RCA out better.

Well anyways my new XLRs got here today. With the RCAs there was a little bit of noise from the tweeters when I muted the STP-SE. With the XLRs everything is dead quiet. The new XLRs are Cerious Tehnologies Graphene Extreme. I think I like them better than the HT. The CT GE might not have quite as much air. To me they don't sound like copper interconnects either, but they do seem to have a bit more warmth.
    I know my amps are most likely still breaking in. I maybe have 300 hours on them, so they are getting better too.

Anyways the CT GE sound fantastic. Balanced in and out with the STP-SE is definitely the way to go.
    My speakers are Dynaudio Focus 340s. All I can say is wow, everything sounds awesome together.

6. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news! I loved and miss my STP-SE. Hopefully another sale comes along. Hint, hint.
    I’m tempted to order one with the stage 2 upgrade. My original one just needed to be opened up a little volume wise, otherwise it’s absolutely wonderful.
    Joe

Avantgarde Duo XD, JBL L100 (orange), Luxman MQ-300, JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary,
    Pass XA25, McIntosh MCLK12, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini.

Post Thanks / Like

The sales don't seem to come as often as they used to that's for sure. I think you would have to spend quite a bit more to beat the Stage 2 as an all around performer with most any amp. Seems to have become Srajen's go to preamp for reviews. I still pull my standard STP-SE out every couple of months and it never disappoints. It is an especially good partner with any of the Job based amps.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Nuprime CDT-8, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's and SC, Triode Wire Labs PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

9. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read all the reviews for the STP-SE, there isn't a bad one. Its funny I knew what it was, but was looking elsewhere. I really wasn't crazy about the style. I was looking at much more expensive preamps. Then I had one fall into my lap...ok I will give it a try. Wow, one listen is all it takes to make a believer out of you.

I like all the functions and everything the STP-SE does. As I mentioned before I wish the display was a bit bigger and maybe red, but hey its so good I don't really care. You know I actually like the cosmetics now, its a real sleeper. Mine is black and with its discreet looks you don't expect much. Fire it up and I think most people will be floored, its that good. I will most likely have it a very long time as I know I will have to spend allllllllllot more money to get what will amount to pretty much cosmetic improvements and maybe slightly different flavor.

11. Likes joeinid, CPP, Randy Myers liked this post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5