Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Digital Scale

Audioshark

Digital Scale

I have the older Ortofon Digital Scale and find it very accurate (especially compared to the cheap Chinese ones).

This new scale from Ortofon looks interesting:

http://www.ortofon.com/ds-3-digital-...e-p-708-n-3444

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Digital Scale

Mike, I use the exact same scale. Its actually made in Japan for Ortofon. Mine works well but will give me different reads depending on where the stylus rests on it. it doesn't vary more than two or three hundreths of a gram - which is totally acceptable.

Can't be 100% certain it's exactly the same, but it sure looks a lot like this scale with the simple addition of a weighing platform.

Audioshark

You're right Bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Can't be 100% certain it's exactly the same, but it sure looks a lot like this scale with the simple addition of a weighing platform.
    it does look alike. you'll get a more accurate read of VTF when the stylus is as close to the playing surface as possible. this scale lacks the facility to do that. the work around would be to raise the arm everytime you adjust VTF by 0.8" to compensate for the thickness of the scale. that would be pain to do.

I own two stylus force gauges, the Shure SFG-2 stylus force gauge and the Audio Additives digital stylus force gauge. Surprisingly, the Shure SFG-2 measured within 0.1 gram of the calibrated Audio Additives digital gauge. I have owned the SFG-2 for 30 years and it still works like a charm. I use the Audio Additives digital gauge now for it's extreme accuracy. I like both of them.

Audio Additives Digital Stylus Force Gauge

Shure SFG-2 Stylus Force Gauge

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

For the DIY inclined among us, with some basic experimentation you can create a non-magnetic weighing platform using either a plastic gift card or thin piece of aluminum. Just bend into the desired shape so that it has a section to sit flat on the scale's weighing platform, then bends down 90 degrees to achieve the proper height just above the bottom of the base, and then bend out a section to form the platform for the stylus. You can use some double stick tape to secure the platform to the scale and you're all set. Just experiment to ensure you have the bends formed at the proper distances to achieve the desired height for the stylus before you tape it in place, or else you may damage the scale by trying to remove and replace the platform. The 'Tare' function of these scales allows you to zero it out with the platform in place.

Here's a link to another really good quality scale that can be used in a similar fashion to create a tracking force scale. There's a company selling these on Audiogon with a bent aluminum platform retailing at $250 and selling for $179. http://www.thedigitalscale.com/proscale-lc50.html

The DS-3 scale has been around for many years and distributed by Ortofon Japan and Ortofon Denmark but was intended for the Asia and European markets only.....the DS-1 has been distributed by Ortofon USA and was intended for the US market only. Looks like there ditching the DS-1 in favor of the new improved DS-3 version. I own both for many years with out issue and both are accurate, I prefer the DS-3 because of the extra digit.

The DS-1 reads 0.1 as the DS-3 reads 0.01. Both scales are made in Japan and accurate, for consistent readings take a sharpie and mark a dot on the platform and land the stylus on the dot.
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Digital Scale