Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Aurender W20 vs my hot-rodded PC server

I purchased a used Aurender N10 for a very good price back in April and it just didn’t sound right connected to my system and PS Audio Direcstream DAC. Thin sounding, loose bass, poor imaging, blah, blah, blah. Perhaps system synergy reared it’s ugly head. I know the Aurender N10 is highly rated and many people are very happy with it so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Prior to purchasing the N10 I had purchased a used Lumin S1 and it sounded fantastic, but it had an internal DAC (very good one to my ears and budget) and for the money I had paid for it I came to the conclusion it didn’t make sense to have a streamer with a built in DAC since I already have a pretty decent DAC. Fortunately I was able to sell the N10 and S1 and make a few bucks so I didn’t lose any money. Now I was back to using my Bridge II Card in the Directstream DAC. Not an optimal experience (unless you use Roon). The Bridge II experience has some issues of its own although to my ears it sounds pretty good.

A couple of other notes regarding the N10, it came with 8TB of storage, which I didn’t use or need since I like to store my music on a NAS. Another thing about the N10 that bothered me was the display. The display panel is actually comprised of two small displays; one on the left and one on the right of the front panel. The color tone of the text of these two displays didn’t match. The right side of the display had white text and the one on the left had white text with a bluish tint. Also, the two displays didn’t line up. The left displays text was slightly higher than the right. This just cheapened the experience, again especially for the price paid.

Having said all that, I liked the Lumin S1 sound much more than the N10 in my system, and I believe the Lumin application works better for me. The Aurender app would often lock up or crash, and when starting the application it would usually take 10-15 seconds to start up. Perhaps it was a delay in starting up the hard drives. The Lumin app starts much faster and when you hit play it begins to play instantly. Very nice!

Like I said the Lumin App is much faster, and while the Aurender app has more features, the Lumin app just works without issue. FYI...I have an iPad Air2.

Long story I know, but after selling them both I still longed for another Lumin. A couple of months ago a used U1 became available and I jumped on the deal. It is connected to the PS Audio Directstream DAC and sounds wonderful. I’m happy with my the U1, just don’t want to repeat the process of how I got it in my system.

Needless to say I’m a big Lumin Fan!
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    I purchased a used Aurender N10 for a very good price back in April and it just didn’t sound right connected to my system and PS Audio Direcstream DAC. Thin sounding, loose bass, poor imaging, blah, blah, blah. Perhaps system synergy reared it’s ugly head. I know the Aurender N10 is highly rated and many people are very happy with it so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Prior to purchasing the N10 I had purchased a used Lumin S1 and it sounded fantastic, but it had an internal DAC (very good one to my ears and budget) and for the money I had paid for it I came to the conclusion it didn’t make sense to have a streamer with a built in DAC since I already have a pretty decent DAC. Fortunately I was able to sell the N10 and S1 and make a few bucks so I didn’t lose any money. Now I was back to using my Bridge II Card in the Directstream DAC. Not an optimal experience (unless you use Roon). The Bridge II experience has some issues of its own although to my ears it sounds pretty good.

A couple of other notes regarding the N10, it came with 8TB of storage, which I didn’t use or need since I like to store my music on a NAS. Another thing about the N10 that bothered me was the display. The display panel is actually comprised of two small displays; one on the left and one on the right of the front panel. The color tone of the text of these two displays didn’t match. The right side of the display had white text and the one on the left had white text with a bluish tint. Also, the two displays didn’t line up. The left displays text was slightly higher than the right. This just cheapened the experience, again especially for the price paid.

Having said all that, I liked the Lumin S1 sound much more than the N10 in my system, and I believe the Lumin application works better for me. The Aurender app would often lock up or crash, and when starting the application it would usually take 10-15 seconds to start up. Perhaps it was a delay in starting up the hard drives. The Lumin app starts much faster and when you hit play it begins to play instantly. Very nice!

Like I said the Lumin App is much faster, and while the Aurender app has more features, the Lumin app just works without issue. FYI...I have an iPad Air2.

Long story I know, but after selling them both I still longed for another Lumin. A couple of months ago a used U1 became available and I jumped on the deal. It is connected to the PS Audio Directstream DAC and sounds wonderful. I’m happy with my the U1, just don’t want to repeat the process of how I got it in my system.

Needless to say I’m a big Lumin Fan!
    Thank you very much for your explanations. I am sorry to hear that you had such problems with Aurender. May be your N10 was defective or it's firmware corrupted ?
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
    Thank you very much for your explanations. I am sorry to hear that you had such problems with Aurender. May be your N10 was defective or it's firmware corrupted ?
    Or sometimes when you buy used, the “deal” is not really a deal after all.

I’ve been on a string recently where the guy bought a used Lumin, the previous owner f’d with the power supply, got it back to working, but not properly seated, and now it doesn’t work again. He’s trying to get LUMIN to fix it under warranty. Not happening. It’s been purposely monkeyed with by the previous owner. Buyer beware.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Very good point Mike. Buying used can be problematic for sure, and most of the time if there was a warranty it isn't transferable.
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

That's a big risk owners take by having equipment modified or by trying to modify it themselves, as unauthorized modifications will void most manufacturer's warranties. They also tend to negatively impact potential resale value, as you rarely get back money spent on most mods and sometimes the resulting product is worth less than it would have been in unmodified condition. Buyer beware definitely applies!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    That's a big risk owners take by having equipment modified or by trying to modify it themselves, as unauthorized modifications will void most manufacturer's warranties. They also tend to negatively impact potential resale value, as you rarely get back money spent on most mods and sometimes the resulting product is worth less than it would have been in unmodified condition. Buyer beware definitely applies!
    And you don’t know until it’s too late. I had a client modify his Pass amps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

LeRoy (Odyssey) recently did a N10 vs W20 shootout.
    could you please provide the link to this interesting shootout ? thanks
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).

Great news (for me). I finally bought a used W20, and it is at my home already. 

I already tried it with my friends NAGRA HD DAC and with my own Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC. With booth the W20 sound much better than my previous server (Auralic Aries). So I am a new happy member of the family now.

My tests were done with USB, and also a cheap coax, but now I look for a good AES or Coax cable since I understood it could sound better than USB.

It looks like the most raved digital cables are now Transparent Reference and Shunyata SIGMA ! correct ?

but... should I use COAX or AES/EBU with my Aurender W20 ? (of course I can try booth, but... where I am it will be hard to get booth on loan, so if someone has compared Coax and AES/EBU with his Aurender, I will be happy to hear the results).

PS: during my initial tests, I had the impression that I could play DSD Ok with USB but not with the Coax connection ! is it normal or did I configured something wrong ?
    Will AES have the same limitation for DSD than Coax ?

For weeks, I was hoping for a W20 successor, but now that I have bought a W20... I hope the successor will not come soon ! funny isn't it ?

And please do not make fun about the wodden top of my W20: in addition to the original top, the vendor also supplied me with this strange « wood top » made by Mr. Rudolf (A Capella) that is supposed to provide Optimization with Woodcolumn in Holes in the top which are standing on some Parts of the Electronic and on the Column Wood compensator, all to Reduce Vibration and Mikrophonie. Everything is easily removebal whitout any damage and the Original top can Mount. (see picture. It looks funny isn’t it ;-).
    —> Has anyone heard of this strange top optimized ? It indeed sound a little better... I tested ! !

bmichels.......Forgive my bluntness but that piece of plywood screwed to the top of your Aurender W20 looks hideous. I doubt removing the extruded aluminum top cover designed by Aurender's engineers has any positive sonic benefit, not to mention you now have a flammable cover should anything ever go wrong with the batteries inside the W20. I suspect you have also negatively impacted the W20's heat dissipation and shielding. In my opinion the Aurender W20 is at a performance level that should not be altered by such nonsensical things as a piece of plywood replacing the original top cover. Suit yourself of course, but that's my take.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Don’t worry I also got the original top.

So as soon as I am back home I will listen to compare booth, and... it is very possible that I will put back the original top ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm not surprised...honestly.

IMO, no guy building a computer in his basement is going to surpass the R&D of what Aurender & Lumin are doing. I also think, if you don't have your own app, you're only half way there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    bmichels.......Forgive my bluntness but that piece of plywood screwed to the top of your Aurender W20 looks hideous. I doubt removing the extruded aluminum top cover designed by Aurender's engineers has any positive sonic benefit, not to mention you now have a flammable cover should anything ever go wrong with the batteries inside the W20. I suspect you have also negatively impacted the W20's heat dissipation and shielding. In my opinion the Aurender W20 is at a performance level that should not be altered by such nonsensical things as a piece of plywood replacing the original top cover. Suit yourself of course, but that's my take.
    OMG, normally I would not say anything as everyone has their reasons. In this case, Dan is only trying to help here, remove that cover before it gets decorated come Christmas - go back to OEM, you have a great component!
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    OMG, ....remove that cover before it gets decorated come Christmas....
    Ed.......That's funny.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Adam,

With the servers you've tried, are you able to adjust the absolute polarity of each recording as needed?

By adjust, I mean that it will be automatic for that recording each time you play it after adjusting. Not referring to live streaming, but playing back from your existing collection.

The reason I ask is with that feature not being easily & repeatedly available on the early servers, I haven't kept up with what's happening as I should.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Well, now the Aurender W20 is installed at home above the Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC and under the BHSE amp & the EC445 Amp. I installed them on cones made of lava to decouple them from the furniture which is definitively not a dedicated HiFi rack. A new home made power filter/distributor is also used.
    Ah... I also removed the strange W20's wooden top to replace it by the factory top ;-)

I ordered on loan 3 digital cables from the same company (Hificables.fr) so that next week I will be able to compare USB, EAS and Coax connections and decide which is best...

--> What best super TOL USB or AES cable can you recommend ?

Some High quality power cables are also coming soon to test (some home made and some from Hificables.fr).

bmichels.......Thanks for the photos of your system and room. The system looks very nice, and the Aurender W20 looks good tucked into the rack with its top cover back in place. I am looking forward to reading about your digital cable comparison.
    Dan

Yes much better, keep us posted on what you end up with for cables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

OK, I have completed my tests for best connexion between my Aurender W20 and my Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC.

- First I compared the 3 connections ( AES, Coax and USB) with 3 cables from the same manufacturer (HifiCables.fr) using the same topology/technology.

Against all odds, the USB was the winner ! sound stage was wider than with coax nor AES. This is un-expected since Aurender recommend AES rather than USB (the result can be very different with another Source/DAC combinaison)

- Then, since USB was apparently the best connection (for my set-up) I tested 3 different USB cables : the "Aucharm" a low cost very good Chineese cable (50$) that was highly recommended by a tube amp manufacturer friend of mine, the HifiCable's "Super Ultimate USB" (290 €), and a very expensive Synergetic research Galileo LE USB ( 2500 $) that use a separate transformer and other (marketing ??) gimics.

Again, the results were quite surprising: I found that the HifiCable lacked some musicality (it was precise, but something was missing reducing the possibility to "get lost into the music") while the 2 others provided a very engaging experience and... I had a very hard time to differentiate them. I guess that with a HP system the difference will have been obvious but with headphone the 50€ is super close to the 2500€ cable ! this may be due because a « headphone » system do not offer the « spatial » criteria that can make the difference between a good cable and a very good cable. So, I returned the 2500 € cable and... kept the 50 € cable.

So... I was quite disapointed by what was supposed to be a super-TOL USB cable... ! May be someone can suggest another Super-TOL USB cable that will really bring a substantial sound improvement over a good 50€ cable ?

- next step: I will test soon the "Curious cable" and also I will have made for me a specific Coax cable to give the SPDIF Coax connection a second chance against USB.

I use the Curious usb cable with my N10 and it is a great match.

I have W 20 for 5 or 6 years, one of first delivered to Poland, with 4TB HDD.
    During this time it worked as a sever / transport with La Fontaine as a DAC , then with Lampi DSD only DAC, then B7 and now with Pacific.
    I tried many usb cables and found that unpowered usb cables make audible difference, of course the power must be switched off on the Aurender side ( now it can be done remotely by the support, before it was the option in Conductor app ).
    Long story short I keep Polish boutique Apricity usb and a new Serbian Finaltouch Callisto usb, suggested by a fellow - audiophile from WBF.
    I tried or owned Acoustic Revive, Jcat Ref , Entreq Konstantin with Minimus, Entreq Apollo, Synergistic ( I do not remember the model, with this blue light , maybe Galileo , the one you tried ) , Audioquest Diamond.
    Here is the review of Apricity by 6moons, the cable is rather expensvie. Some friends - audiophiles from WBF are happy with less pricey Sablon usb cable.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/stavessence/1.html

As a second connection I use Aes/Ebu to La Fontaine , the cable is Fadel Art Ref II.

With PAC I recently tried a simple VDH The Name as a spdif cable, hard to beat the price quality ratio.
    Even an expensvie new Hijiri HDG-R was no better to my ears, just different.

PS We have already at audioshark a new thread about Callisto usb cable :

FTA (Final Touch Audio) Callisto USB cable
    Aurender W20->Lampizator Pacific SE/Audio Aero La Fontaine->Ayon Crossfire III or Circle Labs A100-> Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26, 4x REL Carbon Special Subwoofers
    Analog : Fat Bob S with SME 5, Shelter Harmony, Tom Evans Groove+ SRX mk2, Muarah PSC with InteliClamp
    cabling: Duelund DCA 16GA, Acrolink, Vovox, Siltech, Transparent, Audio Phase , NxLT The Flame, FTA Callisto and Sinope usb, Fadel Art , Argentum , REL Bassline Blue

HT : Sony HW 50 ES, Oppo 93 EU, Darbee DVP-5000 ,Yamaha Aventage RX-A 3010 , B&W 9.1, screen 120 inches matt white

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Aurender W20 vs my hot-rodded PC server