Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Roy Gregory Compares ARC Ref 10, VTL 7.5 Series III, and CJ GAT Series 2...

Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Re: Roy Gregory Compares ARC Ref 10, VTL 7.5 Series III, and CJ GAT Series 2...

cj GAT rules
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

The author states there is no clear overall winner. Once again, it comes down to proper component matching and personal taste.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

RG is quite comprehensive and detailed in his reviews, yet concise. When I listen to a component that he has reviewed, most times, I find that he is quite accurate in his description of the sound quality and in giving a flavour of what you might expect.

Even in private e-mails, he does not say if one component is "better" than another. What he does offer to do is let you know which component provides more of the aspects that you value, be it presence/immediacy, tonality, harmonics, dynamics, soundstaging, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoludio View Post
    RG is quite comprehensive and detailed in his reviews, yet concise. When I listen to a component that he has reviewed, most times, I find that he is quite accurate in his description of the sound quality and in giving a flavour of what you might expect.

Even in private e-mails, he does not say if one component is "better" than another. What he does offer to do is let you know which component provides more of the aspects that you value, be it presence/immediacy, tonality, harmonics, dynamics, soundstaging, etc.
    Hi Nicoludio,

Overall, I enjoyed the article and thought Roy Gregory put a lot of time, effort and care into creating as objective a comparison as possible. Having heard the Ref 10 with a number of different amplifiers and knowing what performance it is capable of, left me wondering if the Berning pairing was less than an ideal match due to the Ref 10's higher output or just a general lack of synergy.

Best,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

If I were setting up a serious minimalist singled ended tube-based system, the Gat 2 would be the pre i'd put in the Christmas stocking. Love that champagne facia & natural sound .

thanks for highlighting that report . I saw an arc anniversary in for repair last week . it was truly a thing of beauty. not easy to accommodate those boxes though . some years ago I had the vtl 5.5 and it was very enjoyable , never heard the 7.5 . there is one in UK in classifieds now for 11k

must try to get to hear some vtl sometime , we don`t hear a lot about the brand in UK but several dealers

Glad I found this. I’m actually looking to upgrade my preamp. Considering the following:

CJ GAT 2
    ar ref 10
    DAgostino Momentum
    constellation Virgo III
    Merill Audio Christine

Would love more first hand experience with these preamps. Is the SE design of the CJ VAC a deal breaker as I have a balance system.

Super Moderator

What amp do you have? I forget.

VAC Master and ARC Ref 10 are spectacular. I love my GAT2 and I don’t think there’s an issue with it being RCA or single ended only unless you only have XLR inputs. I don’t like using adapters but they are an option.

I’m sure the Constellation is wonderful too. I have no experience with the Merill Audio preamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Redphu View Post
    Glad I found this. I’m actually looking to upgrade my preamp. Considering the following:

CJ GAT 2
    ar ref 10
    DAgostino Momentum
    constellation Virgo III
    Merill Audio Christine

Would love more first hand experience with these preamps. Is the SE design of the CJ VAC a deal breaker as I have a balance system.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

CJ GAT 2
    ar ref 10
    DAgostino Momentum
    constellation Virgo III
    Merill Audio Christine

If you get to listen to the GAT and the Momentum, please let me know your thoughts. I own the GAT, but also own the Momentum Stereo, so would luv to hear the Momentum Pre amp.

the GAT is better sounding than the Dagostino Progression pre amp when I demoed it.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

The DAG Momentum HD is a great pre. Also, all of the pres you are considering are world class.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Super Moderator

My gut tells me he’s going to love the GAT2 and the music that it produces.

Please update when you can.
    Last edited by joeinid; January 5, 2020 at 09:17 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Odd, I read it as the VTL was his favorite, without actually coming out and saying it. Roy Gregory Compares ARC Ref 10, VTL 7.5 Series III, and CJ GAT Series 2...
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Odd, I read it as the VTL was his favorite, without actually coming out and saying it. Roy Gregory Compares ARC Ref 10, VTL 7.5 Series III, and CJ GAT Series 2...
    That was my take-away also. Interesting comparison and good job laying out factors that could bias the findings.

Super Moderator

For clarification, I was referring to Redphu liking the GAT2.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    My gut tells me he’s going to love the GAT2 and the music that it produces.

Please update when you can.

NAD C 658 streamer.

My brother and I sat for a couple hours with the Ref 10; with all its prowess, the smoothing effect or whatever it’s doing to my favorite singers voices, decidedly takes the Ref 10 out of the running for me. Damnit I wanted to love the Ref 10 with its gorgeous looks and it amazing control of the music in terms of imaging, dynamics (top to BOTTOM) and soundstage. Moreover, on principle alone, what with the “standard” hi tech plastic cheap shitty top and the requisite 1k for the proper metal replacements, I will NOT consider ARC products, ever. It’s such a slap in the face, me thinks.

I wanted to thank everyone for your insight, I’ll be take that leap onto the CJ sound train with a brand new unit. Now all the worlds problems on my shoulder breaking in the unit for the next 200 hours or so. Can’t wait till it arrives.

Super Moderator

Congratulations on the GAT2.

Regarding the plastic cover of the Ref 10, tests were done and it actually sounds better than the metal cover. I think it started with the Ref 40 and people realized they preferred the sound with the plastic instead of the metal.

I like the look (and sound) of the CJ more anyway.

NAD C 658 streamer.

And I think the Gold would go nicely with my Pacific.

For the GAT2 owners, what tubes are you using.

Super Moderator

I’m still on the stock tubes from the factory. I need to check what CJ shipped with it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Regarding the plastic cover of the Ref 10, tests were done and it actually sounds better than the metal cover. I think it started with the Ref 40 and people realized they preferred the sound with the plastic instead of the metal.

I like the look (and sound) of the CJ more anyway.
    Who did the testing to determine the plastic cover sounds better than the metal cover?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Super Moderator

Owners who had both.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Who did the testing to determine the plastic cover sounds better than the metal cover?

Actually ARC did and mentioned by another well known reviewer here.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...e-preamplifier

"The review sample's top plate was of tinted polycarbonate, with slot vents. A cover of perforated aluminum is also available, but ARC recommends the polycarbonate, perhaps because of lower chassis resonances."

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Also by the esteemed Richard Mak in this review.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/...e-master-tape/

Quote:

"Apparently the acrylic top cover is not just to show off the workmanship, but is apparently sonically superior than a metal cover."

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote:

"The remainder of the chassis is black-anodized aluminum, with a cover of transparent polycarbonate polymer, slotted for ventilation. While the top can still be ordered in traditional aluminum, go with the acrylic -- it not only provides a bird’s-eye view of the interior, but, per ARC, it sounds better, presumably due to its antiresonant quality."

https://www.soundstageultra.com/inde...5-preamplifier

Shall I go on?

Did you ever bother to compare the covers in any of your reviews?
    Last edited by joeinid; January 7, 2020 at 04:52 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote:

"The remainder of the chassis is black-anodized aluminum, with a cover of transparent polycarbonate polymer, slotted for ventilation. While the top can still be ordered in traditional aluminum, go with the acrylic -- it not only provides a bird’s-eye view of the interior, but, per ARC, it sounds better, presumably due to its antiresonant quality."

https://www.soundstageultra.com/inde...5-preamplifier

Shall I go on?

Did you ever bother to compare the covers in any of your reviews?
    Thanks Joe. I wasn’t aware of that.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Super Moderator

My pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Thanks Joe. I wasn’t aware of that.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hello everyone. I finally received my GAT2 fresh from the factory. I swapped out my XLR cables for RCA connections and I’m getting a a loud static/hum. Any ideas.

Super Moderator

Please make sure that your RCA cables are properly seated. Push them all the way in and if they are locking connectors/barrels (which I don't like), make sure they are fully cinched up and tight. But not so tight that you can not get them off. Check both amp and preamp.

Hello everyone. I finally received my GAT2 fresh from the factory. I swapped out my XLR cables for RCA connections and I’m getting a a loud static/hum. Any ideas.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

Since he never answered the question about the amp he is using he may be using XLR to SE cables and if so have a ground loop which may require lifting the ground on one of the two pieces or running a grounding wire between them.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I am using the Krell 403E amp which has both XLR and RCA connections. I failed to mention that this hum/static was also present when I switch to RCA connections on my old Krell Phantom pre but plays fine with XLR connections.

Joe I’ll try securing the RCA as suggested. Thank you.

Super Moderator

If I had hum/static, it was ALWAYS from locking connector RCAs. I hope that's what is going on here.

NAD C 658 streamer.

If the Krell is a fully balanced amp then you may be running into the same issue as Fremer ran into when he tried to run the fully balanced BHK amps with the SE Dart preamp. His only solution was to lift the ground on the amp end. The same thing was happening when you ran SE interconnects with the two Krell pieces.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Something else to think about, with Conrad Johnson, everything should be run from one circuit to minimize any chance of mismatched grounds.

NAD C 658 streamer.

@ Jack Thanks for chiming in. Can you explain lifting the ground.

I moved the router and modem further away from the preamp and Dac; Im still getting the static hum with only the PAcific Dac and hum is present whether the Pacific is ON or OFF and independent of of source selection and volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    If the Krell is a fully balanced amp then you may be running into the same issue as Fremer ran into when he tried to run the fully balanced BHK amps with the SE Dart preamp. His only solution was to lift the ground on the amp end. The same thing was happening when you ran SE interconnects with the two Krell pieces.
    Excellent information, Jack. Unfortunately the single-ended connections are an afterthought on a lot of amps these days. C-J and some other companies still do it right.

Ken

If unplugging the Lampi from the preamp eliminates the hum then as an interim measure you can try using a cheater plug on each of the three pieces one at a time and see if lifting the ground on one of them eliminates the hum. Are they all connected to the same circuit or conditioner?

Can you recommend a cheater plug to use? Will the addition of a cheater plug have any effect on sound. Is there a permanent fix?

All the main components are connected into a single power conditioner and the powerconditioner is plugged into a dedicated furutech duplex; nothing else is plugged into the second outlet on the duplex.

Super Moderator

UL Listed 3-Prong to 2-Prong Adapter Grounding Converter - JACKYLED 3-Prong Adapter Converter Fireproof Material 200℃ Resistant Heavy Duty for Wall Outlets Household 2-Pack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTHWYPK..._mTCkEbGF3FSGB

NAD C 658 streamer.

For the purpose of testing a cheater plug is a cheater plug and they can be picked up at any hardware store and even at most "dollar" stores for less than a buck. They have no effect on the sound except to eliminate a ground loop if you have one. If your line conditioner has a ground lug then just try running a wire from the Lampi to the Line Conditioner if the cheater plug solves the problem. If the system is all plugged into the Line Conditioner which is grounded then lifting the ground on the Lampi is not an issue anyway.

Still at it with the hum and it’s happening on both the PACIFIC and GGV2 using RCA. CALLING all LAMPIZATOR PACIFIC DAC local to Conrad Johnson willing to help or have an interest in how the GAT2 pairs with the Lampizator gear, Jeff is willing to test at his facility:
    2800K Dorr Ave. Fairfax, VA USA 22031
    phone: 703-698-8581
    Please let me know.

Gents

One thing I find that reviews seem to ignore is the impact of the stand on which the equipment is placed on when doing reviews.

I can change the tonality of the Ref10 by simply placing the power supply or the pre section on different isolation materials.

I would have liked some guidance from ARC what is the best platform to use- now it pot luck experimentation.

Jozua

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Roy Gregory Compares ARC Ref 10, VTL 7.5 Series III, and CJ GAT Series 2...