Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Anyone tried Tri Wiring PMC Speakers?

I am curious if any one has tried this and if there was an improvement in sound quality?

I have only seen the Kimber Tri Focal cables out there which are really expensive. Anyone know of another speaker cable in a tri wire configuration?

Super Moderator

Re: Anyone tried Tri Wiring PMC Speakers?

Welcome to the forum Djcous, thank you so much for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hello Djcous. I have Twenty 26s, and have never tri-wired; sorry.

Most I've thought of, is to bi(-amp); and jump the mid and tweeter, with some Anti-Cable jumpers.
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

When I had my PMC EB1i's, I tri-wired them by purchasing shotgun cables with spades and a single cable with banana to connect to my amp. It sounded fine, but for me there was more of an improvement with just purchasing and connecting a much better single speaker cable with good jumpers.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

Djcous.......I have PMC EB1i speakers in my living room system. I use single runs of Kimber 8TC terminated with WBT NextGen silver angled lock banana connectors plugged into the woofer terminals on the EB1i's. I bridge the woofer, midrange and tweeter input terminals with #10 solid pure silver jumpers. The solid pure silver jumpers made a marked improvement in the clarity of the midrange and high frequency dome drivers over the factory bronze jumpers. The Kimber 8TC speaker cable has a #9 aggregate wire gauge per each positive and the negative leads. This is sufficient copper to carry 30+ amps of current. Bi-wiring and tri-wiring from a single set of amplifier output terminals will not offer any advantages over a high quality, properly sized single pair cable run to your speakers. In fact it can create issues if all cables are not the exact length and terminated in the exact manner. I am a fan of bi-amping and tri-amping speakers using active external crossovers. That is where you will reap true benefits of feeding a speaker's separate drivers independently. Bi-wiring and tri-wiring speakers is just a great way for sellers of wire to make larger profits, in my humble opinion. And before you ask, yes I have bi-wired other speakers from several different manufacturers, although I have never wasted the money to try tri-wiring. Not once did I hear any advantage over using a single run of premium speaker cable sized properly for the power being supplied by your amplifier(s). You may find differing opinions among those who support bi-wiring, but I am not a supporter.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I do not have specific information about PMC speakers. However my results with bi-wiring is different from Dan's. When ever I have tried to "shotgun" or double wire to the speaker woofer/tweeter terminals I have noticed a positive difference. Not sure of the exact reason. It has been speculated that it is in part due to the large back EMF created by the woofer is better able to be negated by directing it back directly to the amp instead of it being dispersed through the mid/tweeters.
    As stated, a more noticeable improvement is possible by active bi or tri amping.
    The only way you will know for you in your system is to try it.
    P.S. If using 8tc it is possible to separate the strands at the speaker end into 2 groups. One with 5 strands to the woofers and the other 3 strands to the tweeters/mids. FWIW
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Anyone tried Tri Wiring PMC Speakers?