Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

I need a Cassette Deck

So I gave up trying to repair my old Onkyo-Integra TA-207 Cassette Deck but still have a boat load of tapes I want to play and or rip to digital. There surely are not many options available anymore.

I can only find about 4 New Player options and can't decide which way to go.

I could go with a Pyle (of crap) or the ION to USB players, but the reviews on SQ are really mixed and not written by people with discerning ears.

The other options are mostly used, or ridiculous pricing on discontinued Onkyo, Sony, TEAC players

Does anyone have a deck they may want to sell or offer any suggestions.

Without many to choose from, maybe the best idea is a $100 Pyle or ION and just rip my collection to digital and back to CD if I choose. (ease of play for the wife)

Thanks for any suggestions
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Re: I need a Cassette Deck

I have a Nakamichi RX-505 that I would be willing to part with. It no longer flips the tape automatically (should be a cheap fix), but I just flip the tape manually so it's no big deal to me.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Mark, thanks for that offer but because of age and what I see them selling for today, I am just a bit apprehensive and it's really more than I would want to spend.

I watched some videos and it looks like a killer of a deck for many years.

Thanks again
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Oh well, not too many options on a new deck these days and I am just leary to take on a used 20 y/o deck which seems to be all I can find available.

I decided not to go for the Pyle of junk, or the one with one ION of quality.

What I did find was a Marantz unit that although looks cheap as crap, it just has to be better than the other two above.
    Marantz Professional PMD-300CP | Dual Cassette Player & Digital Recorder with USB Output

I have no idea what in the world can be Professional about this unit.

If I can rip my old collection to digital and my wife can listen to her old Xmas Tapes, all will be good. Unit arrives later this week.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Brian, glad you were able to settle on a deck. Let us know how it's playing when you get it up & running .

Anybody have an 8 track available? ✌️
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

So the Amazon package was on my doorstep Sunday morning as indicated by the Status.

I hooked it into my main system and let it warm for a bit before playing one of my oldest tapes. It was a little sluggish at first but seemed to get past that. Who knows, it could have been the 30 y/o tape. (a BASF) First up was a local band from the 70s here called Spaces. Funky Jazzy tunes with great Sax, the player lived next door to a friend's brother. Then I played what was an odd Black Sleeved EP of Steve Miller's Abracadabra, and the great long live version of Macho City.

As cheap and cheesy as this player is, there is still something about analog that beats digital. Behind the expected tape hiss, there is still more emotion and other qualities that sound better than the same music on CD.

The player does not have enough Gain for my Pre Amp so I had to switch to the High Gain setting for good volume. Bass was just fine at that point too. It does have a Gain knob for when used to record to PC. I plan to do a bunch of that this winter in case these tapes decide to go bad on me. Most are Dennon HD8s which was my favorite back in the day.

I'm still a little surprised that Marantz would even put their name on this unit and totally baffled as to how they decided to include Professional in the name.

The wife is now happy to be able to play her tapes so it's all good now.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

I need a Cassette Deck