Question on the benefits of upgrading turntable/cartridge - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on the benefits of upgrading turntable/cartridge

I believe the 9 & Blackbird would be the best combo out of what you listed.

If possible I'd compare it to a Rega RP6 or 8 with a Dynavector cart, the DV10x5 high output MC it good but the next model up is a nice jump in performance, the number escapes me. Or, a Clearaudio Concept with an Ortofon Quintet Black, MC. The Concept will show you don't always have to pay a fortune to get excellent performance.

With your comments I'd encourage you to get a listen to a Lehmann ohono stage.
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

After some consideration, listening to a couple tables, I decided on the RPM 5 Carbon with the Sumiko Blue Point Cart. This was in my estimation the most appropriate cost/benefit option, as I have only 180 LP's, Thus at $1500, this was a little over $8 per LP....oh, how some people think...LOL

I suspect if I get caught up in accumulating more LP's, I can always go up, but it might be my entire system needs upgrading...... I guess I need to buy my Lotto ticket soon.....

In any case, I appreciate the input, will maybe drop some posts on some of the listening threads as I enjoy my Christmas present to myself.
    Msmoto, aka Ms. Tommie Lauer

MAIN
    Totem Acoustics Element Metal, Totem Acoustics Thunder II Sub, VTL 5.5 Series II Pre Amp, VTL S200 Amplifier with KT88's, Pro-Ject RPM 5 Carbon, Sumiko Blue Point No. 2, NAD PP4, NAD C 546BEE, Bluesound Vault 2, Belden 1800F Balanced, Canare 4S11 Bi-Wire Cables, BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables
    OTHER
    Vienna Acoustics Bach, Onkyo TX-8160
    PREVIOUS
    Quad ESL 63's, Finnish Subwoofer Stands, Vandersteen Subs, Mark Levinson No. 38, McIntosh 4280, ADS L810's, Theta Data Series II Lasar Disc Transport and DAC

3. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ms. Lauer...congrats on your new record player. I am sure the RPM5 with the Sumiko Bluepoint Cart will deliver great sound. If you decide to upgrade down the road you can always upgrade the cart first before moving up on TT. Most importantly though make sure you get the table and cartridge set up properly, which will be the biggest determinant of sound quality. If you are not familiar with how to do this, make sure your local audio dealer presumably from whom you purchased the TT does the setup for you.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy! You probably know this, but in case, the cart will begin sounding it's best about the time you get halfway through playing your current collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
    After some consideration, listening to a couple tables, I decided on the RPM 5 Carbon with the Sumiko Blue Point Cart. This was in my estimation the most appropriate cost/benefit option, as I have only 180 LP's, Thus at $1500, this was a little over $8 per LP....oh, how some people think...LOL

I suspect if I get caught up in accumulating more LP's, I can always go up, but it might be my entire system needs upgrading...... I guess I need to buy my Lotto ticket soon.....

In any case, I appreciate the input, will maybe drop some posts on some of the listening threads as I enjoy my Christmas present to myself.
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

So, the sound is phenomenal...have never heard vinyl like this. And, the look is not too bad as well.....

Prp-Ject RPM 5 Carbon_II_12.30.2016_TFL-1 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr
    Msmoto, aka Ms. Tommie Lauer

MAIN
    Totem Acoustics Element Metal, Totem Acoustics Thunder II Sub, VTL 5.5 Series II Pre Amp, VTL S200 Amplifier with KT88's, Pro-Ject RPM 5 Carbon, Sumiko Blue Point No. 2, NAD PP4, NAD C 546BEE, Bluesound Vault 2, Belden 1800F Balanced, Canare 4S11 Bi-Wire Cables, BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables
    OTHER
    Vienna Acoustics Bach, Onkyo TX-8160
    PREVIOUS
    Quad ESL 63's, Finnish Subwoofer Stands, Vandersteen Subs, Mark Levinson No. 38, McIntosh 4280, ADS L810's, Theta Data Series II Lasar Disc Transport and DAC

7. Likes Mike, Mr Peabody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Msmoto

Your system looks killer overall! The suggestions given by the other members were good ones. I was tickled to see you bring the Project units in to the discussion. My first high end Turn Table was a Project Perspex 6 with a Sumiko Blackbird MC cart. It did seriously good music reproduction and was magnetically isolated from the base structure so very little noise feedback. Since having that tableIíve spent tons more on a Reference level table but can honestly say I still think of that table and cart combo often. I have a phono pre that can handle two Tables at the same time but just donít have the real estate to support a second table. If I did I would have them now.

One suggestion for your current table is to purchase a Project Speedbox II to control the rpm speed more precisely. (I donít elieve your table has built in speed control). First it will really bring the sound quality up considerably (you will be amazed). Next, no more having to change the position of the belt, simply push the button to go from 33 1/3 to 45 rpm. The box is not very expensive at all (probably new at under $750 if memory serves me correctly). Congrats on your table. Enjoy!

Olskool (Larry)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ARC Ref 210 Mono's, ARC Ref 5SE, ARC Ref Phono2, NordostTyr1interconnects, NAD M5 CD/SACD, Linn LP12, Ekos 1, Booplinth, Lyra Delos cart, Kore, HRS1 Isolation table, Pioneer RT-707 Reel, Wilson Sophia, Nordost Tyr speaker cables, Kubala Sosna Emotion Interconnects / Power Cable, QB4 conditioner, StillPoint SS Isolation, StillPoint Aperatures, Nordost Power cables, ASC Tube Traps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
    So, the sound is phenomenal...have never heard vinyl like this. And, the look is not too bad as well.....

Prp-Ject RPM 5 Carbon_II_12.30.2016_TFL-1 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr
    Hello Msmoto

Your system looks killer overall! The suggestions given by the other members were good ones. I was tickled to see you bring the Project units in to the discussion. My first high end Turn Table was a Project Perspex 6 with a Sumiko Blackbird MC cart. It did seriously good music reproduction and was magnetically isolated from the base structure so very little noise feedback. Since having that tableIíve spent tons more on a Reference level table but can honestly say I still think of that table and cart combo often. I have a phono pre that can handle two Tables at the same time but just donít have the real estate to support a second table. If I did I would have them now.

One suggestion for your current table is to purchase a Project Speedbox II to control the rpm speed more precisely. (I donít elieve your table has built in speed control). First it will really bring the sound quality up considerably (you will be amazed). Next, no more having to change the position of the belt, simply push the button to go from 33 1/3 to 45 rpm. The box is not very expensive at all (probably new at under $750 if memory serves me correctly). Congrats on your table. Enjoy!

Olskool (Larry)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ARC Ref 210 Mono's, ARC Ref 5SE, ARC Ref Phono2, NordostTyr1interconnects, NAD M5 CD/SACD, Linn LP12, Ekos 1, Booplinth, Lyra Delos cart, Kore, HRS1 Isolation table, Pioneer RT-707 Reel, Wilson Sophia, Nordost Tyr speaker cables, Kubala Sosna Emotion Interconnects / Power Cable, QB4 conditioner, StillPoint SS Isolation, StillPoint Aperatures, Nordost Power cables, ASC Tube Traps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2