Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

New KL Audio Record Cleaning Machine

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: New KL Audio Record Cleaning Machine

Looks good Mike. I'm sure it will sell well.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

How does the purification work? What's the max water hardness it can handle?

Mike...what's the advantage of not having the integrated water chamber (if any)? Seems cumbersome to have a separate pail or else needs to be placed next to a faucet.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Mike...what's the advantage of not having the integrated water chamber (if any)? Seems cumbersome to have a separate pail or else needs to be placed next to a faucet.
    Likely to keep from using contaminated water for the next wash cycle / LP..... or at least to discourage washing multiple album's in the same filthy water.

Glad to see a smart solution like this being implemented by an ultrasonic record cleaning company, even if it's cumbersome for some users.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
    I have no idea other than a guess.... But if you're willing to spend that amount on a record cleaning device it's a small step further to pay for an RO (or similar) filtered water filter system to strip a municipal water supply of impurities.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

I saw this at the recent Hong Kong hifi show and asked why they have 2 RCM's now.

This new one is designed for professional cleaners who clean a lot of records, so the water is easier to change. The original is designed for domestic audiophiles who don't clean 100's and 100's of records. they both have exactly the same end result.

Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    I have no idea other than a guess.... But if you're willing to spend that amount on a record cleaning device it's a small step further to pay for an RO (or similar) filtered water filter system to strip a municipal water supply of impurities.
    You use distilled water. Ironically, I have found certain types of distilled water to work better than others. Crystal Springs is my favorite.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

A distilled water shootout? Does it ever end? LOL
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    A distilled water shootout? Does it ever end? LOL
    I know. You should have heard Mark (MDP) and I having this conversation on the phone. Thank goodness my wife didn't overhear us.

You know what we found? The Crystal Springs truly "wet" the record more than any of the other brands we tried. For example, when I used the Zephyrhills distilled water, as the record spun, it was DRY! I literally could take a soft cloth, touch the record gently as it spun, and the cloth was DRY! You could visually see no water on the record. The other brands I tried (lots of no name Grocery Store, Walmart type brands), they were 50% effective at wetting the record.

I really like the look of this unit, to plumb and pump from an external reservoir, then dump after a wash cycle.

So is everybody happy and satisfied with the level and frequency of ultrasonics used by Klaudio now that it has had some years to prove in the field?

The competitions' differed approach by using a combination of lower intensity ultrasonic combined with friction and fluid additive.

Would like to see it Australia but for that to happen those Electrical Safety Marks need to visible on the machine and DoCs need to be in order.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I know. You should have heard Mark (MDP) and I having this conversation on the phone. Thank goodness my wife didn't overhear us.

You know what we found? The Crystal Springs truly "wet" the record more than any of the other brands we tried. For example, when I used the Zephyrhills distilled water, as the record spun, it was DRY! I literally could take a soft cloth, touch the record gently as it spun, and the cloth was DRY! You could visually see no water on the record. The other brands I tried (lots of no name Grocery Store, Walmart type brands), they were 50% effective at wetting the record.

So, the wetter the record/LP, the more contamination left floating on the record/LP

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    So, the wetter the record/LP, the more contamination left floating on the record/LP
    Hard to clean a record when it doesn't get wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a water wetting agent. And no, that's not a joke. They use in rinse cycle when making photographic prints. You just add a drop or two in a container of water and stir a bit.

Super Moderator

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ped_fragment_=

Quote Originally Posted by JDLaudio View Post
    Use a water wetting agent. And no, that's not a joke. They use in rinse cycle when making photographic prints. You just add a drop or two in a container of water and stir a bit.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

You use distilled water. Ironically, I have found certain types of distilled water to work better than others. Crystal Springs is my favorite.
    I guess I'm confused--I thought the difference with the new machine was that it's hard plumbed to water and drain? It would make sense to plumb it to an RO purifier, but was wondering if it had something built in.

Quote Originally Posted by JDLaudio View Post
    KL Audio specifically state not to use any additives or surfactants to the distilled water.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Hard to clean a record when it doesn't get wet.

Logic not applied I see.

Audioshark

Logic not applied I see.
    You're missing the point. For some reason, some brands of distilled water did not get the record wet. Others did.

Audioshark

Not if you have clean water to start with.

I owned the original version of the KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner. It is the one with the separate internal reservoir tank and washing basin. After every 50 LP's I drained the tank into a gallon jug then poured it into a white ceramic sink to inspect for impurities and any possible black vinyl bits. I never saw any black bits in the water or on the bottom of the ceramic sink. After washing 50 LP's the water was only slightly dirty with suspended accumulated debris. I always refilled the reservoir tank with fresh distilled water for the next 50 LP's. This process gave me excellent results with a four minute wash and a three minute dry cycle. Records came out completely dry and very clean. Many of the LP's had less than four plays on them since new. I don't own any LP's that I purchased used. Cleaning used LP's would most likely require more frequent water changes. All in all the KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner is a fine product that is well built. It certainly doesn't get any easier to clean an LP. You simply insert an LP in the top loading slot and cleaning begins automatically once the washing basin is pumped full of water. Once the four minute cleaning cycle is complete the ultrasonic transmitters shut off, the water is drained back into the reservoir tank, and the air dryer begins its preset timed cycle. When the drying cycle is complete the machine beeps and the record rotation stops. You lift the LP from the slot and it is immediately ready to play.

I don't know if I would like an external water bucket sitting around under the table as required by the new tankless version. The original design is simple, easy to use, easy to drain and keep clean, and does a fine job of cleaning records. That's all I asked it to do and it did it quite well.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Not if you have clean water to start with.

You're missing the point. For some reason, some brands of distilled water did not get the record wet. Others did.

Mike, I haven't missed the point at all. What I am saying is that if the record is left wet, within that fluid there will be contamination. The dryer the record after being in the ultrasonic bath the less chance of the fluid leaving a crud or residue on the surface of the album. To have a pump & chamber circulating the water & then say that the contaminants fall to the floor of the chamber, well.... Is it the ultrasonic vibration & the water that cleans or is it the ultrasonic action/vibration & the water carries the contaminants until the tank is emptied & cleaned? My vote is for both so this really opens a whole new can of worms, hence the need of filter etc. etc.

Audioshark

Mike, I haven't missed the point at all. What I am saying is that if the record is left wet, within that fluid there will be contamination. The dryer the record after being in the ultrasonic bath the less chance of the fluid leaving a crud or residue on the surface of the album. To have a pump & chamber circulating the water & then say that the contaminants fall to the floor of the chamber, well.... Is it the ultrasonic vibration & the water that cleans or is it the ultrasonic action/vibration & the water carries the contaminants until the tank is emptied & cleaned? My vote is for both so this really opens a whole new can of worms, hence the need of filter etc. etc.
    OK, the record was not getting wet at all, that's what I was saying. When I asked KR, they said it was different types of vinyl that caused that. Well, I found it was actually different types of distilled water. My thinking, and I could be wrong, is that as the record is spinning, you should at least see SOME moisture on the record. When i used certain brands of distilled water, I did not see that. The record was spinning (in wash cycle) and it was bone dry.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    I owned the original version of the KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner. It is the one with the separate internal reservoir tank and washing basin. After every 50 LP's I drained the tank into a gallon jug then poured it into a white ceramic sink to inspect for impurities and any possible black vinyl bits. I never saw any black bits in the water or on the bottom of the ceramic sink. After washing 50 LP's the water was only slightly dirty with suspended accumulated debris. I always refilled the reservoir tank with fresh distilled water for the next 50 LP's. This process gave me excellent results with a four minute wash and a three minute dry cycle. Records came out completely dry and very clean. Many of the LP's had less than four plays on them since new. I don't own any LP's that I purchased used. Cleaning used LP's would most likely require more frequent water changes. All in all the KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner is a fine product that is well built. It certainly doesn't get any easier to clean an LP. You simply insert an LP in the top loading slot and cleaning begins automatically once the washing basin is pumped full of water. Once the four minute cleaning cycle is complete the ultrasonic transmitters shut off, the water is drained back into the reservoir tank, and the air dryer begins its preset timed cycle. When the drying cycle is complete the machine beeps and the record rotation stops. You lift the LP from the slot and it is immediately ready to play.

I don't know if I would like an external water bucket sitting around under the table as required by the new tankless version. The original design is simple, easy to use, easy to drain and keep clean, and does a fine job of cleaning records. That's all I asked it to do and it did it quite well.

Dan...you talk on the past tense, so do you no longer own the Klaudio RCM? If so, why did you sell? Curious if you had some issue with it after a while or if it was just a case of you cleaned all your records and you weren't buying new ones often enough to justify keeping it around?
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Mike...i think you also have the Audiodesk Ultrasonic cleaner. Any thoughts on the comparison of these two units?
    Cyril

Audioshark

Mike...i think you also have the Audiodesk Ultrasonic cleaner. Any thoughts on the comparison of these two units?
    Can I plead the 5th? I also have the ClearAudio Double Matrix. New KL Audio Record Cleaning Machine

Audioshark

The build quality of the KL is second to none and IMO, paired with a VPI 16.5 or similar, it would be a great solution. Call me old fashion, but I like the ultrasonic to break up the gunk and the vacuum to suck it away.

Dan...you talk on the past tense, so do you no longer own the Klaudio RCM? If so, why did you sell? Curious if you had some issue with it after a while or if it was just a case of you cleaned all your records and you weren't buying new ones often enough to justify keeping it around?
    Cyril.......I did sell the KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner. I was not unhappy with its performance in the slightest. My entire vinyl collection is just over 130 LP's. I buy a new LP about five times a year if I'm lucky. I find the prices are ridiculous and the quality is hit or miss on the remastering and the pressing quality. I cleaned the LP's I own twice, put them in new MoFi inner sleeves, and play them when I feel like it. They are clean as a whistle. I let the KLAudio machine sit in the control room of the studio for about three months doing nothing with no intention of purchasing new vinyl so I made the decision to sell it. The KLAudio RCM lasted one day before it was snapped up. That owner still has it and the KLAudio is still doing its job for a happy owner.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Mike/Dan...thanks for the responses. I'm sitting on 400-500 LPs and about half have yet to be cleaned and the notion of spending 6-8 mins per record on my VPI 16.5 standing up keeps me from making any inroads into the "to be cleaned" section. And then I did the mental math on how much money I spent on those records and they are sitting there not being listened to. So thinking about something like the Klaudio or the AudioDesk units. New KL Audio Record Cleaning Machine
    Cyril

OK, the record was not getting wet at all, that's what I was saying. When I asked KR, they said it was different types of vinyl that caused that. Well, I found it was actually different types of distilled water. My thinking, and I could be wrong, is that as the record is spinning, you should at least see SOME moisture on the record. When i used certain brands of distilled water, I did not see that. The record was spinning (in wash cycle) and it was bone dry.

Thoughts?

I've noticed the same with different types/brands of dist. water on different albums. I also believe it may be the release agent used from the pressing as I have albums where I'm sure that crap is still in the grooves. Some of these albums that I am susceptible about have been cleaned upward of 4-6 times.

Thoughts?
    The degree of wetting the record is a function of the surface tension of the water. The less impurities (surfactants) in the water, the more surface tension and the drier the record. The more impurities in the water, the lower the surface tension and the wetter the record.

So from your description the water that does not wet the record is likely more pure.

If you add photo flow as suggested, the water will have less surface tension and spread better on the record ...but it also means there is more stuff in the water.

Accuphase E800 and E600, DC37, C37, Devore O/96 and Graham LS5/9, DPS 3, Schroeder CB, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Restock View Post
    The degree of wetting the record is a function of the surface tension of the water. The less impurities (surfactants) in the water, the more surface tension and the drier the record. The more impurities in the water, the lower the surface tension and the wetter the record.

So from your description the water that does not wet the record is likely more pure.

If you add photo flow as suggested, the water will have less surface tension and spread better on the record ...but it also means there is more stuff in the water.

A great explanation. Thank you.

A great explanation. Thank you.

Must have been the accent...

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team