Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rmaf 2016

Rmaf 2016

I was planning on skipping this years RMAF until I saw that 2017 conflicts with a home game. I just booked my flights, hotel and car for this year so I am set. Anyone else planning on attending?
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Audioshark

Re: Rmaf 2016

Hi Jim - yes, I'm all booked! Our regular Tampa crew will be coming with me as well.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi Jim - yes, I'm all booked! Our regular Tampa crew will be coming with me as well.
    See you there!!
    Jim

Game on! Perhaps a shark dinner on Saturday night?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Game on! Perhaps a shark dinner on Saturday night?
    Great idea. Let's start a list for Saturday dinner and then I can book something.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I should be good for dinner.
    Jim

Audioshark

Tel: (720) 635-0482
    E: press@audiofest.net www.audiofest.net

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DENVER – (August 19, 2016) – The Rocky Mountain International Audio Fest (RMAF) has been notified by the Marriott Denver Tech Center (DTC) that second phase renovations have been delayed (see attached statement from the Marriott) and will not be complete by the start of the 13th Annual RMAF in October. In response to this development, RMAF and the Marriott DTC have devised an alternative plan to expand the show into other available space on the property.

Marjorie Baumert, director and co-founder of the Rocky Mountain International Audiofest reports, “RMAF has a full slate of booked exhibitors for both the 2-channel and CanJam features of the show, alongside a host of industry vendors. The show is packed to the gills! We can’t thank the audio community enough for coming together to generously support us. We are also grateful to the Marriott DTC for their dedication to housing an exemplary show, despite challenges due to the ongoing renovations. Thanks to the Marriott and our exhibitors, the annual Audio Fest is slated for another enormously successful show October 7-9, 2016.”

Due to circumstances beyond the hotel’s control, the following spaces will not be available for the show: all Atrium sleeping rooms, Front Range exhibit floors 2-5 (including 550, 589, 535), and all meeting space including Bluebell, Cottonwood, Conifer, Iris, Larkspur, Lupine, Primrose, Spruce, The Rocky Mountain Event Center (CanJam) and the open Atrium area.

In order to accommodate space requirements for RMAF and other upcoming conferences, the Marriott DTC will provide semi-permanent conference structures, including industrial tents and broadcast quality pods. Equipment specifications and exact layout regarding the following adjustments will be detailed in an announcement next week. The plan is as follows:
    All 4th and 5th floor Front Range exhibit rooms will now be moved to the Summit Tower side.
    CanJam will be located in a large tent located in the front of thehotel.
    Lobby meeting rooms will be located in pods near the entrance of thehotel.

Other news regarding this year’s event:
    RMAF will present the 2nd Annual Rocky Mountain International HiFi Press Awards (RIHPA) on Friday, October 7, 2016. The RIHPA has built on the

success of the inaugural event in 2015 by adding several new international publications.
    RMAF is pleased to welcome back returning U.S. and international press that continue to support the industry. In addition, Lincoln Chen, executive editor of the prestigious Audiotechnique, Hong Kong, will be in attendance for the firsttime.
    Due to the great feedback received in regard to the 2015 Entry Level Room series, RMAF is increasing the number of those rooms from three to five. The price points are $500, $1000, $1500, $2500 and$5000.
    There will be social events, live musical entertainment, and a hostof seminars led by industryexperts.

For further information, please contact the RMAF office, or email at press@audiofest.net. Visit our website at www.audiofest.net

I booked my hotel room a couple of months ago, so I'll be there and would enjoy meeting fellow sharks, too!
    Regards,
    Steve

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...geezr-s-system
    I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

See you all there !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Looks like hotel renovations will not be done in time for RMAF. Too bad; however, it looks like, the right steps are being taken to ensure a good event.

I'm skipping it this year. For next year, considering AXPONA, Munich or Newport.

My biggest disappointment will be missing dinner with the Shark colleagues.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Just read the press release that several Atrium rooms on the ground, 4 and 5th floors will be moved to smaller rooms in the tower and makeshift pods outdoors due to unforeseen construction. High Water Sound has been forced to pull out of RMAF because of this. Seems like terrible planning on the Marriott's part and terrible contingency planning on RMAF's part. CanJam will now be under a tent outside. Not sure why they didn't procure a wing or two at the Hyatt via cooperation with Marriott and run shuttles. Still not a perfect fix but better than pods and tents. I'm fearful several more exhibitors affected by this will pull out now. And this is the year I am going.........ugh.

I hear you Phil, its not ideal but I'm sure will be fun regardless. Shows are rarely perfect anyways. Bummer about Jeff - was hoping to hear the big Cessaros for a change.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I hear you Phil, its not ideal but I'm sure will be fun regardless. Shows are rarely perfect anyways. Bummer about Jeff - was hoping to hear the big Cessaros for a change.

Me too! He was also bringing in some big $50K Cessaro matching subs to go with them this year. Would have been spectacular I bet!

Quote Originally Posted by philb7777 View Post
    Just read the press release that several Atrium rooms on the ground, 4 and 5th floors will be moved to smaller rooms in the tower and makeshift pods outdoors due to unforeseen construction. High Water Sound has been forced to pull out of RMAF because of this. Seems like terrible planning on the Marriott's part and terrible contingency planning on RMAF's part. CanJam will now be under a tent outside. Not sure why they didn't procure a wing or two at the Hyatt via cooperation with Marriott and run shuttles. Still not a perfect fix but better than pods and tents. I'm fearful several more exhibitors affected by this will pull out now. And this is the year I am going.........ugh.
    Glad CanJam will be outside in a tent if it makes room for people displaying/playing systems. Who knows how much notice Marriott gave the RMAF people who plan the event about their construction plans?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

i will be there! and i like shark for dinner...

I just got an email from the Marriott stating that all guest rooms will be moved to local hotels. They are moving my two rooms to the Hyatt. Anyone have a list of exhibitors who have pulled out? RMAF website isn't up to date.

I hope for a good show. Clearly the Marriott is having some issues.

Mike

Glad my hotel reservations are not at the Marriott!
    Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by philb7777 View Post
    I just got an email from the Marriott stating that all guest rooms will be moved to local hotels. They are moving my two rooms to the Hyatt. Anyone have a list of exhibitors who have pulled out? RMAF website isn't up to date.
    I would like to see that email. "All" guest rooms will be moved to local hotels? I made my reservations sometime ago and I have a Marriott app on my iPhone and it still shows my reservation and my confirmation number. I have received no such notification from Marriott telling me that my room was taken away from me.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

I just called the Marriott hotel directly and I still have my reservation.

Will def. be there!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Me too.

I've been moved to the Hilton Garden Inn and they said shuttles will be offered between the various new hotels and the Marriott.

Rmaf 2016

They changed mine today

Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Gosh, I hope it is a good show. The RMAF team always works so hard to make this the best possible event. I'm sure they are going the extra mile to accommodate the industry and influence the hotel to take care of the attendees. But, we should also assume that a lot of what's going on is out of their control.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Glad you do. Maybe I was on a wing where they needed it for exhibitors. My email said 'all guests.' Maybe they didn't want me to know it wasn't all guests!

Glad you called to confirm though. Things are definitely up in the air. They still have not contacted me again for new Hyatt confirmation numbers. If I haven't heard anything by Monday, I will call them again.

what exhibitors are NOT showing this year-

Highwater Sound
    GTT Audio (YG)
    Avantgarde USA (I think)
    ?

GTT typically has 2 - 3 rooms. That would be a significant loss.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    GTT typically has 2 - 3 rooms. That would be a significant loss.
    GTT always seems to carry great gear but their demo rooms were always ho-hum.
    Jim

Agree with you Jim. Always good to see the new toys! Last year's Kronos - Mola - YG was not too bad.

Mike

Schedule shows most of the seminars to be held in "Pod Pavilion". Ever since Body Snatchers, I've been averse to pod pavilions. Bring a pitchfork. Just sayin'......

Audioshark

Audioshark Get Together Dinners at RMAF 2016, who's in?

Shanahan's - 8pm Friday
    McCormack and Schmicks - 7:30pm Saturday

In for Friday at Shanahans. Two for sure, maybe three.
    Regards,
    Steve

Mike, me and my sweetie would like to attend Saturday's dinner.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Mogulman View Post
    Mike, me and my sweetie would like to attend Saturday's dinner.
    Sure! PM me your name(s).

Audioshark

I imagine Scott Walker will pair the S3s with Soulution electronics? I wonder what electronics Magico will be using with the M3s (for which there's a favorable 'preview' in Nov TAS). Will they reciprocate and use Constellation? Do audio companies have contractual agreements with one another to show together, or does a speaker company call up an amp company (and vice versa) and just ask to borrow some pieces on a show-by-show basis? I'd guess that a dealer would chose from brands he represents, but wonder how the matches are made when it's the manufacturer who is the exhibitor.

Mike, any chance you can borrow a body cam from Sarasota PD (or grab a gopro) and live stream the show?

Audioshark

Rmaf 2016

Dinner Plans So Far:

I have reserved a few tables for Audioshark members to meet up for dinner. Let me know who's in.

Date: Friday October 7th
    Time: 8pm
    Restaurant: Shanahans
    Address: 5085 S Syracuse St, Denver, CO 80237
    * Wallking Distance from the Denver Marriott Tech Center

So far...

Myself
    Jim (Still-One)
    Bart (Resolution Acoustics)
    John Chait (DIY Audio)
    Steve
    Steve's lovely wife
    Steve's friend
    Mark Gurvey (Lumin)
    Mark's lovely wife
    Andy Miles
    Brent Myers (VAC)
    Edward J. Matura
    Roger Gibboni (Rogers High Fidelity)
    Peter (Magico)
    Alon (Magico)

Saturday October 8th Dinner

McCormack and Schmicks - 7:30pm Saturday

Myself
    Bart (Resolution Acoustics)
    John Chait (DIY Audio)
    Edward J. Matura
    Mogulman
    Mogulman's lovely wife
    Keith R.
    Kevin (VAC)
    Brent (VAC)

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    I imagine Scott Walker will pair the S3s with Soulution electronics? I wonder what electronics Magico will be using with the M3s (for which there's a favorable 'preview' in Nov TAS). Will they reciprocate and use Constellation? Do audio companies have contractual agreements with one another to show together, or does a speaker company call up an amp company (and vice versa) and just ask to borrow some pieces on a show-by-show basis? I'd guess that a dealer would chose from brands he represents, but wonder how the matches are made when it's the manufacturer who is the exhibitor.

Mike, any chance you can borrow a body cam from Sarasota PD (or grab a gopro) and live stream the show?
    The S3s are being shown with Vac in the Synergistic room.

All checked in at my hotel. Waiting for tomorrow.
    Jim

Audioshark

Me as well. The Denver Marriott Tech Center is completely changed. The entire right wing of the hotel is open and every single floor (12 floors?) is jam packed with listening rooms.

The renovations are very nice. The hotel looks quite modern now.

The tents outside are heated by the looks of things.

I spoke with the hotel manager and heard story after story of what they found when they began construction. All the road blocks they ran into, like starting to dig and finding abandoned old basements where they thought there was none. Scary when you think of it.

By all accounts, they've done the best they could.

Goo to know Mike. Hope you guys enjoy the Audiofest. Keep us posted!

Mike

Still over 120 (not counting CanJam) rooms even with some key players missing. Mikes correct the hotel is looking good. Lots of changes to the main floor footprint.
    Jim

I made it down from floors 11 to 5 today and gave up. I will catch the Mezzanine and floors 2 to 4 Saturday, plus head over to the Hyatt an the Magico room. All in all I was pretty disappointed this year. Only a few rooms seemed to have great sound and several of those were with small speakers. I have a feeling that many rooms were struggling with the new layouts and the inability to get all furniture out of the rooms. In addition I saw way too much "odd" gear that looks as if it was developed in a garage. More comments later.
    Jim

Audioshark

Jim - you did better than me. I made it to the 6th floor (from 11).

Show hi-lights so far:

The "Jeff" room: Rowland/Joseph
    KEF Blade 2's with Parasound
    Bricasati/Tidal
    MSB room

I have a lot yet to cover

Thanks guys

I wish I could have made it this year.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Well ......??

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Well ......??
    How does it sound?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Alectiong View Post
    How does it sound?

We are all going to listen to the M3's today.

Audioshark

Rmaf 2016

My picks:

Best Digital: MSB Select DAC stack

Best Analog: Kronos

Best Speaker Under $10k: (four way Tie) Jeff Joseph Profile speakers, Spendor D9's, Salk Speakers, ELAC. All four were excellent.

Best speakers over $10k: Magico M3

Second: Vandersteen 7's

Third: Tidal (but only with Bricasti). Not impressive with Zanden.

Fourth: KEF Blade 2's.

Fifth: New $100k Rockport's.

Best Solid State: Soulution

Runner up: Bricasti

Best tube amp: VAC iQ amps in Magico S3 room

Best Overall: Magico M3's with Soulution

Show comments: a success, despite pre show concerns to the contrary. The renovations have really brought the Marriott Denver Tech Center into the 21st century.

Overall, the rooms sounded much better than in previous years. I saw a lot more use of room acoustical treatments.

I saw more women at the show than in past years.

Less turntables, better sounding digital, much more solid state than tube equipment. A lot less individual cable companies with their own static displays.

The music still generally sucked, but there were some decent tunes I Shazamed.

Traffic seemed lower than last year.

Not a lot of new product launches, but some.

Not a lot of stand out new digital.

Overall, a great fun show as always and the organizers did a terrific job given the circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Rmaf 2016