Rockport Lyra - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Rockport Lyra

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rockport Lyra

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    I heard them today at the HK hifi show. They still sound like Rockports - slightly dark and smooth

Yes XV Fair comment --I've owned Rockports(Syzygy's) and concur on the sound evaluation--I drove them with Jadis Monos that alleviated 99% of that trait quite comfortably.

I did enjoy the speaker, however the Eton Drivers suffered from foam Rot as they aged-and with no original components still available I sold them.

They were a fine product though.

Further to your HKG experience can't say I'm surprised--seeing the choice of VTL's driving --those amps always give me the impression they are struggling to keep up with the music

I'd pass on those!

Bruce

2. Likes XV-1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what does dark sounding mean? I see reviewers sometimes use that description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alectiong View Post
    I wonder what does dark sounding mean? I see reviewers sometimes use that description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It basically means the opposite of bright sounding.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2

5. Likes Kuoppis, Melbguy1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Odyssey did an audition of the Rockport Lyra at a U.S. dealer. Perhaps he will comment on his impressions of the speakers.

Ken
    I heard the Lyras when I was in Omaha in early May for the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting.

I would say that these are Andy Payor's best effort to date and belong in the upper pantheon of cone speakers.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz Diamond Loom, Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz d-tc Loom (complete), Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

7. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Likes Alpinist, cmarin, Narayan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alectiong View Post
    I find Stereophile's Audio Glossary an invaluable resource for brushing up on audiophile terminology.

9. Likes Alectiong, Narayan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    I heard the Lyras when I was in Omaha in early May for the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting.

I would say that these are Andy Payor's best effort to date and belong in the upper pantheon of cone speakers.
    It will be interesting to see how the Lyra's compare to the similarly priced Magico M6's once the M6's start getting demo'd at major shows like Munich High End .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
    To quote a Scandanavian friend "You have been marketed."

Listening to my circa 1977 Braun Output Cs with cast aluminum enclosures on a Mac 275 on my office system.

What's old is new again.
    Or the Celestion SL600 from 1983:

sl600.jpg
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, laptop music server running JRiver 20, Mytek Stereo 192 DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, NOLA KO speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and a pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan

13. Likes Alectiong liked this post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5