Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Mike loaned me a VAC preamp, modified? Renaissance III? ...

And I have to say it's pretty awesome. Except for the unusually high gain of this particular unit, probably requested by a previous owner, I really like it. Very Ref 6 like but closer to my taste. Open, 3D, powerful and ballsy presentation like the Ref 6 but I have to say because of this piece, I'm very interested now in the new Renaissance Mk 5. I previously had a Signature Mk IIa but pre SE version and while it did what it was supposed to, I wasn't ultimately crazy about it. This one for some reason seems awesome. Kudos to VAC.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Mike loaned me a VAC preamp, modified? Renaissance III? ...

Joe

According to the website that one particular model is 22 db while the rest of the preamp lineup is 12db. Still that one should be able to be lowered by adding a resistor or swapping a resistor for each channel. Great stuff though and easy on the eyes.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

It feels like more Jack because I can only move the volume control a little bit before it gets too loud. So I lowered the output of my Lumin S1 and now I have more play in the volume knob. Mike tells me that the previous owner wanted more gain for inefficient speakers in one of his systems.

I have to say that I am really enjoying this preamp and its quality of sound. I feel that I am getting most, if not all, the Ref 6 flavor without any of "my" perceived drawbacks. This is pretty cool.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Joe

If you really like it see if the swap of resistors is all it takes to lower it back to original (still high) or down to 12 db like the others. Which amp are you trying it with and what is it's input sensitivity? With it using 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes you can do a lot more to tailor the sound than you can with the REF 6 as their is only one brand of it's tube. Depending on their purposes you may can lower the gain even more by substituting 5751's AT7's or AY7's for the AX7's
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

I know this one is supposed to have a killer phono stage. I am using it with my MXR/20's and a pair of Pass XA60.8's. It's wonderful on both.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    And I have to say it's pretty awesome. Except for the unusually high gain of this particular unit, probably requested by a previous owner, I really like it. Very Ref 6 like but closer to my taste. Open, 3D, powerful and ballsy presentation like the Ref 6 but I have to say because of this piece, I'm very interested now in the new Renaissance Mk 5. I previously had a Signature Mk IIa but pre SE version and while it did what it was supposed to, I wasn't ultimately crazy about it. This one for some reason seems awesome. Kudos to VAC.
    Joe...getting loaned high-end audio equipment is akin to the neighborhood smack dealer giving you a taste of the good stuff to cultivate a taste for the product Mike loaned me a VAC preamp, modified? Renaissance III? ...

Mike you old dawg. I see you're "loaning" out some of that VAC, Lumin, and Lampi crack again Mike loaned me a VAC preamp, modified? Renaissance III? ...

In all seriousness, glad you are liking it Joe. It's good that there's a wide palate of flavors in high-end audio to suit our very unique to us tastes/needs.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

After writing that, I now have this mental image of Mike in a Daddy-o 1970s red velour suit and hat (like Huggy from Starsky and Hutch days), pimping product Mike loaned me a VAC preamp, modified? Renaissance III? ...

Hah!
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Super Moderator

Absolutely Cyril, I hope and am sure this one isn't for sale but it did get me interested in VAC now, for sure.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Cyril,

I bet I've seen a photo of Mike like that

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Cyril,

I bet I've seen a photo of Mike like that
    Like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Ha! Yes!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hehe....no more like this Mike:

Last edited by joeinid; August 6, 2016 at 05:48 PM.
    Cyril

Audioshark

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Mike...
    Cyril

Audioshark

That VAC preamp Joe has is very good, it's a Renaissance 3 with an upgraded phonostage. The Renaissance 5 I'm getting in 1-2 weeks is superior according to VAC.

It feels like more Jack because I can only move the volume control a little bit before it gets too loud. So I lowered the output of my Lumin S1 and now I have more play in the volume knob. Mike tells me that the previous owner wanted more gain for inefficient speakers in one of his systems.

I have to say that I am really enjoying this preamp and its quality of sound. I feel that I am getting most, if not all, the Ref 6 flavor without any of "my" perceived drawbacks. This is pretty cool.
    Congrats Joe for getting the opportunity to audition the VAC Renaissance preamp. I also look forward to hearing a VAC preamp in my system as the pieces come together.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Thanks Ken. It really has reset my thinking on VAC. I'm glad I'm able to live with it for a while to understand what I'm hearing.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

One way to tone down the gain is to go to the Rothwell site and order whatever set of attenuators you need. I have both the SE and Balanced versions and hear no signal degradation. They allowed me to use the Job with the tube preamp with no problem. They are available in 10 or 20 db versions. I have the tens for both and they really come in handy. Worth having around as part of the tool kit.

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

Audioshark

Jack, great suggestion. I ordered some RCA 10's for when I use these high gain tubes on the Lampi.

Mike

I have used both versions with both tube and SS amps and I don't hear any issues. As Andrew's primary business for the last 20+ years is in phono preamps I assumed he understood about noise and signal anomalies. His latest "statement" phono preamp just received a glowing review from HiFi +. If you hear anything out of the ordinary in your system let me know as I'm sure the AG's will reveal more than even the KO's.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Mike

I have used both versions with both tube and SS amps and I don't hear any issues. As Andrew's primary business for the last 20+ years is in phono preamps I assumed he understood about noise and signal anomalies. His latest "statement" phono preamp just received a glowing review from HiFi +. If you hear anything out of the ordinary in your system let me know as I'm sure the AG's will reveal more than even the KO's.
    Will do. I'm sure it will be no more intrusive than a volume control on the DAC in the mix.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

I know this one is supposed to have a killer phono stage. I am using it with my MXR/20's and a pair of Pass XA60.8's. It's wonderful on both.
    MXR/20's???????
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    MXR/20's???????
    We can't keep up Mark.

Super Moderator

Sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

These MXR-20's are my all time favorite, I am done (waiting for laughter to subside), kind of amp. Absolutely love them. For what I like and how I listen, I am extremely happy with them. Others may not agree, but I don't mind.

Once I got the VX-5/20, I knew Ayre is something special.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    MXR/20's???????
    Last edited by joeinid; August 9, 2016 at 11:26 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

This VAC Renaissance III preamp is absolutely wonderful (I bet the new version 5 will be even better) on the Nord One Up amps. With the 994 op amps, the balance is wonderful.

Moral of the story? Don't just assume something will not work, you need to actually try a particular combo, listen, and decide for yourself how good/bad it sounds to you.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Word .....

Sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

These MXR-20's are my all time favorite, I am done (waiting for laughter to subside), kind of amp. Absolutely love them. For what I like and how I listen, I am extremely happy with them. Others may not agree, but I don't mind.

Once I got the VX-5/20, I knew Ayre is something special.
    Ayre and Sonus Faber is a really good match. Congrats, Joe
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super Moderator

Thank you Keith. I'm very happy.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

That Mike, he sounds like a heck of a nice guy.

P.S. Khin wants to try the VAC preamp after you. Sounds like he might be waiting a while.

Super Moderator

I'll probably ship Monday, I'll get his info.

i need to get ready for the Renaissance Mk 5

Oh, and Mike is okay in my book.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Mike needs to start loaning out a Soulution 520 pre

Super Moderator

Hmmmm, I'll have to bug Ken for his

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Mike needs to start loaning out a Soulution 520 pre

NAD C 658 streamer.

The VAC Master preamp is pretty sweet too!
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Super Moderator

I'm sure it is. I am waiting for a report on the Master from a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dth31 View Post

NAD C 658 streamer.

I made the mistake of asking my dealer to bring the Master preamp and 200iQ amp by for an extended audition, believing that there wouldn't be THAT a big difference from the Signature MkIIa and Phi200's. I couldn't have been more wrong. Blows me away every time I listen to my system now. Not going to let him bring the Statement amps by! Don't want (or can't afford) to know!
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Super Moderator

Did you buy the Master preamp?

I made the mistake of asking my dealer to bring the Master preamp and 200iQ amp by for an extended audition, believing that there wouldn't be THAT a big difference from the Signature MkIIa and Phi200's. I couldn't have been more wrong. Blows me away every time I listen to my system now. Not going to let him bring the Statement amps by! Don't want (or can't afford) to know!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Yes, with the phonostage too. Once I heard it there was no going back. Big step up for me.

wish I could tell you that I did extensive comparisons to other preamps, but I didn't. It just sounded so good, so musical, so "right", I knew it was the preamp for me. Wasn't impulsive either. Had it for about 6 weeks before buying.

Audioshark

Yes, with the phonostage too. Once I heard it there was no going back. Big step up for me.

wish I could tell you that I did extensive comparisons to other preamps, but I didn't. It just sounded so good, so musical, so "right", I knew it was the preamp for me. Wasn't impulsive either. Had it for about 6 weeks before buying.
    Signature 200iQ monoblocks next?

Congrats on an amazing preamp. DROOL!

http://www.stereophile.com/content/v...5Jix0hzIKIA.97

Super Moderator

Awesome! Congratulations.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks. I'm pretty happy about it. Yes, I bought the 200iQ too.

The dangerous thing about this hobby, at least for me, is once I hear what my system does "wrong", I hear that wrongness consistently, and it leads me to want to fix the wrongness. I had been perfectly happy with my last system for 5 years. I hadn't identified anything that was "wrong". Previously, a year or two was the longest I had ever been happy with the system. So I was really surprised that the new components were SO much better.

Congrats on your purchase.
    In another thread about an Aesthetix Calypso preamp I pointed out that after hearing an Audio Horizons preamp in my system i recognized that the Calypso is/was noisy. Previously I was content with the sound. But once the flaw was identified there was no going back. So I totally understand your above post.
    A friend has a very high end very dialed in system that I listen to occasionally. It gives me a reference standard as something to aim at. However there is no substitute for actually auditioning a piece of gear in your own system.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

This VAC Renaissance III preamp is absolutely wonderful (I bet the new version 5 will be even better) on the Nord One Up amps. With the 994 op amps, the balance is wonderful.

Moral of the story? Don't just assume something will not work, you need to actually try a particular combo, listen, and decide for yourself how good/bad it sounds to you.

Love it!
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Super Moderator

Time for someone to update their signature

NAD C 658 streamer.

Yes, hint taken!

Super Moderator

I'm really happy for you. I've been obsessing about the 200IQ amps and a new preamp, but I am a ways off from doing anything right now. Congratulations on the new gear.

Yes, hint taken!

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team