Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Come Together.... Musicfirst's next system.

Well guys, I finally received my speakers today!

3 Pallets, 1850 lb shipping weight!

Shipment consists of two Crates (Rockport Technologies Cygni) and 6 boxes (Rel Acoustics Gibralter G1s).

Even Andy's crates are beautiful. Bolted together with dozens of lag bolts each over 3" long and finished with a clear varnish! The crates weigh almost as much as the speakers. (525 lbs gross 275 lbs net per speaker)

The burka is removed but not the veil. The RHS Cygnus in its crate. (The crate is NOT bent, it's just Barrel distortion from the lens.)

Next Update:

It looks like it will be Wednesday (6 whole days as of this writing!) before I can get a hand moving the speakers and subs into my listening space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Come Together.... Musicfirst's next system.

Congrats! What are they?

Sneak pics of the listening space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Hi

The main speakers are the Rockport Technologies Cygnus and the subs are the Rel Acoustics Gibralter G1s (six of 'em, - count 'em six 12" subs!!)

Super Moderator

Holy cow! Congratulations. Can't wait for more .....
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Oh baby! Sweet! Congratulations!

Do do keep us posted with the setup and first listening experiences....

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Woah!

Here's the listening space 13.5W x 25'L (to half wall located behind the cameraman's position) x peaked ceiling: 8' at the walls and 9'-10" in the centre. Opens up to open concept kitchen and hallway to front of the house. Excuse the setup mess.

I have also attached a CAD drawing showing my initial layout to exact scale. The Cygni are the rectangles and the Rels are in the corners, three high. The initial position of the Cygni follow the rule of thirds (1/3 of 25' back wall to half wall = 8' 4") and are aimed directly at the ears of the primary listener.

Audioshark

Congrats Kerry! It was a long time coming together and many hours chatting on the phone, but you did good!

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Musicfirst.......SWEEEET!

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Congrats Kerry! It was a long time coming together and many hours chatting on the phone, but you did good!

Thanks Mike, Couldna done it without ya!

Kerry

"hey guys, I parked my new 911 in the Garage"

Kerry I am glad it has all come together for you. Thurston

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Thurston, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by thaudio View Post
    Kerry I am glad it has all come together for you. Thurston
    Thanks Thurston. I hope we can hear each others systems one day.

Kerry

looks very cool congtats

Kerry it would be my pleasure, I hope all is well with you

(Almost) Uncrated and making the trip to the listening room tomorrow.

The 6 "cygnets" (actually Rel Gibralter G1 subs) will be stacked 3 high per channel behind the Rockport Technologies Cygnus speakers which are still (mostly) crated on the right.

Any updates?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Digital: LH Labs Source (someday...) + LH Labs Geek Pulse SFi
    Analogue: Audio Technica OC9ML/ii + Technics 1200SL + Nikko Beta 40 (phono only)
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE
    First Watt F6
    Focal 816VW Special Edition

Well here are the beasts settling in. Still waiting for my Memory player, but even using my trusty ol' $179 Oppo 970HD as a transport for my balanced Big 7 Lite, the sound is very very good. The Big Lite hadn't made it to the floor yet for this picture, but it's now up and running early today after some surgery to reduce the gain.
    The six 12 inch Rels take the system down to 12 Hz flat and anything below 16 you don't really hear, rather you just feel the house breathe and stuff rattles off flat surfaces. Too funny.
    As for sound, the Cygnus' sound on their own with less than 200 hours on them are already among the finest transducers I've heard. The Rels are truly transformative musically. The system does things I've never ever heard in a high end system, and I've been to dozens of shows and traveled across North America to personally hear virtually all the main contenders before making my choice.
    I know people are laughing at my source at the moment, but I'm reminded of David Wilson's show demo where he used an Ipod to demonstrate the importance of the speaker in the chain. In any event my SOTA server should be here soon.
    So far I've logged 144 hours on the Cygnus and 130 on the subs. I've been told the subs need about 400-500 hours and the Cygnus close to 1000! So stay tuned.

I'll try and tear myself away for more/better pics tomorrow.

Thanks for looking

Kerry
    Last edited by Musicfirst; August 18, 2016 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Sonic Description

Very impressive!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Thanks Mike!

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Hell of a system Kerry!

Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Thanks Mark.

Kerry...phenomenal system. Big fan of Rockports here. Andy sure has a way of designing and voicing his speakers to sound so natural and life-like. Dynamics are also off the charts as long as they are powered appropriately. Can't even imagine how good the SQ is that you are getting

I am curious as to why two sets of 3 REL subs. I get the concept of doing a pair vs. one Sub because imaging tends to improve drastically with stereo subwoofer config but just curious why you felt the need for 3 RELs on each side? Also, any issues with that many subs overloading the room?

Thx
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Cyril

Thx for the thumbs up! THE SQ is really something special. Three Rels per side starts to approach a line array subwoofer configuration like that used by statement speaker systems from Infinity, Marten Designs, Wisdom Audio, MBL and many others. I believe the reason for the improvement has to do with how well the multiple subs more intimately couple with the acoustic space.

Maybe one day I'll go for five Rels per side.

Kerry

Very cool. Enjoy the system in good health
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Hi Kerry,
    Absolutely awesome!
    Your post mentions what appears to have been an immense journey to audition other contenders. I'd be real interested in hearing what else you considered, what you comparatively thought of them, and why you chose the Cygnus. I've always had an immense respect for Rockport as a brand, but feared they'd be a bit too bass heavy (obviously you don't feel that way! LOL) and not as balanced and resolving at the mid and top. But I haven't been able to listen to them in a few years, and thus obviously haven't heard the Cygnus or Avior, so I'd love to be set straight.
    Congratulations. Not only on the new gear but on taking the risk to go above and beyond with the 6 subs!
    Tom
    TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; Bricasti M28 Monoblocks; Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblocks; VAC "Master" preamplifier; Bricasti M1SE DAC; VAC Renaissance SE Phono Stage; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Tape Deck; Merrill Audio Master tape preamp; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Ansuz D-TC2, D2 & C2 cables and DTC Mainz power distribution; Darkz & Sortz Resonance & Noise control; Ansuz PowerSwitch; & PowerBox; Symposium Racks and Rollerblocks; Vicoustic, ASC, GIK & MSR room treatments

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Aavik; Ansuz; Bricasti, Merrill Audio, Sonore, & others)

Quote Originally Posted by Afveep View Post
    Hi Kerry,
    Absolutely awesome!
    Your post mentions what appears to have been an immense journey to audition other contenders. I'd be real interested in hearing what else you considered, what you comparatively thought of them, and why you chose the Cygnus. I've always had an immense respect for Rockport as a brand, but feared they'd be a bit too bass heavy (obviously you don't feel that way! LOL) and not as balanced and resolving at the mid and top. But I haven't been able to listen to them in a few years, and thus obviously haven't heard the Cygnus or Avior, so I'd love to be set straight.
    Congratulations. Not only on the new gear but on taking the risk to go above and beyond with the 6 subs!
    Tom
    PM sent

Room is quite bare at the moment, but judging from the incredible sonics already, minimal room treatment will be required, probably an area rug and a couple more tube traps. Rels are almost completely hidden behind the Cygnus, corner loaded in the room.

Left Channel Cygnus and Rel subs followed by the right channel. The system, once properly integrated has response to 10 Hz with no audible decrease in energy. Below 20 hz, the system response gradually changes from an audible to a visceral one.

Current electronics: yup that's a $179 Oppo 970HD buried under a pile of discs and serving as transport for my Lampi Big 7 Lite (thanks Mike!) while I wait for my 32 core Laufer Teknik Memory player.

The Dynamic Duo

The heart of the new machine is the incredible Rockport Technologies Cygnus ( tweeter & waveguide with midrange shown. Sorry for the packing gunk still on the baffle). The Cygnus, together with the Rel 6 pack, combine to anchor a system that is ahead of everything* else I've ever heard over dozens of shows and numerous road trips, and to a degree I had not thought possible.
    * Some systems sound bigger, but to my ears, not better, MBL X-treme, Wisdom Audio Adreneline, Coltrane Supremes etc.

I will say this, if you are in the market for speakers in this price range, you will regret not seeking the Cygnus out to audition before your purchase. Seriously.

The soul of the new machine. Lampizator Big 7 Lite with PsVane 101Ds.

The rhythm section includes the Ayre Ax-5 Twenty which punches way way above its weight class. Nonetheless, I am going to try to improve upon it in the future.
    The Entreq Poseidon is bringing up the rear.

Mini-review to come in October

The very definition of overkill (low freq reproduction). LOVE it!

Overkill? Six subs isn't overkill.... Now 10 subs, THAT would be overkill.

The Dynamic Duo.

The baffle cleaned up pretty nicely, once again showing the teeter and midrange driver. An interesting fact is that the midrange driver has excursions more in keeping with what one sees in midbass drivers. Something I've never seen before, so it must dig down very deeply. The top end of this speaker has much in common dynamically (both micro and macro) with horn speakers, yet with resolution and openness of the best ribbon drivers.

OK, now that I've had my fun tuning the system to produce the best bottom end I could, I found that I couldn't (and ultimately didn't want) to have my cake and eat it too. In order to seamlessly integrate the Rels with the Cygnus in my listening space, I had to bring the Rel bottom response up, resulting in a system response that now reaches into the 16 Hz region, otherwise the transition between the mains and the subs was just too obvious and the detail in the bottom octave and a half was compromised. Furthermore, recordings with any sub harmonics, like The Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session for example were rendered unlistenable (this recording is still a tough listen with this setup. Your eardrums feel like their going to pop.)

The speakers have just over 300 hours on them, and people whose ears I trust say 500 to 1000 hours total on the Cygnus. Miles to go before I sleep.

Another fantastic system!
    But i swear, with six subs, i would be afraid to get into that room

Quote Originally Posted by Musicfirst View Post

Room is quite bare at the moment, but judging from the incredible sonics already, minimal room treatment will be required, probably an area rug and a couple more tube traps. Rels are almost completely hidden behind the Cygnus, corner loaded in the room.

Left Channel Cygnus and Rel subs followed by the right channel. The system, once properly integrated has response to 10 Hz with no audible decrease in energy. Below 20 hz, the system response gradually changes from an audible to a visceral one.

Current electronics: yup that's a $179 Oppo 970HD buried under a pile of discs and serving as transport for my Lampi Big 7 Lite (thanks Mike!) while I wait for my 32 core Laufer Teknik Memory player.

The Dynamic Duo

The heart of the new machine is the incredible Rockport Technologies Cygnus ( tweeter & waveguide with midrange shown. Sorry for the packing gunk still on the baffle). The Cygnus, together with the Rel 6 pack, combine to anchor a system that is ahead of everything* else I've ever heard over dozens of shows and numerous road trips, and to a degree I had not thought possible.
    * Some systems sound bigger, but to my ears, not better, MBL X-treme, Wisdom Audio Adreneline, Coltrane Supremes etc.

I will say this, if you are in the market for speakers in this price range, you will regret not seeking the Cygnus out to audition before your purchase. Seriously.

The soul of the new machine. Lampizator Big 7 Lite with PsVane 101Ds.

The rhythm section includes the Ayre Ax-5 Twenty which punches way way above its weight class. Nonetheless, I am going to try to improve upon it in the future.
    The Entreq Poseidon is bringing up the rear.

Mini-review to come in October
    Do you think bass reproduction is important for the overall sound?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Do you think bass reproduction is important for the overall sound?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Kerry’s currently got me by two 12 inch subwoofers. My Vandersteen 7 Mk2’s have two 12 inch powered subwoofers per speaker. Of course if I get the Vandersteen Sub Nine Subwoofers (13 inch) that I’m going to hear later today at a Vandersteen event, I’ll get him by a nose!

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Come Together.... Musicfirst's next system.