Acrylic Platter with or without felt pad?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Acrylic Platter with or without felt pad?

Quick question... on an inexpensive turntable that has an acrylic platter and comes with a felt pad, should I use the pad or put the album directly on the platter. I have heard in the past that placing an album on a glass or acrylic platter is better then using a pad. The manufacture states that either work nicely. They state that the tonearm is adjusted for the 1/8" thick pad but that some users prefer to put the album directly on the acrylic platter. They conclude that either is fine.

Any opinions???
    McIntosh MA252 w/Gold Lion Tubes | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Ortofon 2M Bronze | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4 | T+A AMP 8

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Acrylic Platter with or without felt pad?

Whichever way doesn't cause static buildup. I myself would use a pad because it helps me grip the record to get it off the platter while it spins.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like

I use cork. I find that here in Florida that I get noise with the felt pads or use a rubber pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Quick question... on an inexpensive turntable that has an acrylic platter and comes with a felt pad, should I use the pad or put the album directly on the platter. I have heard in the past that placing an album on a glass or acrylic platter is better then using a pad. The manufacture states that either work nicely. They state that the tonearm is adjusted for the 1/8" thick pad but that some users prefer to put the album directly on the acrylic platter. They conclude that either is fine.

Any opinions???
    Try both and go with what sounds better.

Post Thanks / Like

With my Rega I kept the felt mat on the platter. I didn't like the idea of LP's laying on the hard surface. Thinking back, I think that is actually a glass platter.

I do not use a mat with my Clear Audio, The platter has a different type of hard surface and I use a clamp to hold the LP in place.
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

On my Vpi Prime I played records directly on the aluminum platter. With the AMG directly on the vinyl surface of the platter.

I would argue it depends on your system, cart and personal preferences. Typically a platter mat of some sort softens the sound a bit. Therefeore, if you have a bright sounding system, I would try a mat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ďLifeís too short to listen to bad audio.Ē

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Soulution 520 preamp with phono/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs/ Semi-active Lansche Audio 4.2 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ 2x Audioquest Thunder HD for LS/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. Another opinion a vinyl head friend gave me is that he thinks a felt mat can be a dust collector. He also suggested trying them both to see if I hear a difference.
    McIntosh MA252 w/Gold Lion Tubes | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Ortofon 2M Bronze | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4 | T+A AMP 8

Post Thanks / Like

Iím interested in this and have little to zero experience and like to see further comments.

Here are my thoughts:

Delrin seems to be a material used in making platters and itís expensive, similar to that of the record. So I get why people would not use a mat under this scenario. Acrylic is used as well, whatís the difference in materiel, Iím not sure, to me itís all a composite.

From my understanding the raw material against each other will provide a more balanced frequency response whereas the mat will tone things down.

As weight is used in setting, thatís where it gets even more controversial. Mat no mat, 110 gram to 200 gram weight affecting thickness.

When my new table arrives, My thought is to stick with the mat, and have all settings for middle of the road and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan DíAgostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45ís
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 amp breakers within a grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF packages | Keces P3 & P8 | Surge Guard at Main Panel | ADD POWR series
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Glšss

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post

Any opinions???
    Mr. No Turntable now has a turntable?
    VPI Avenger with 12" 3D arm, Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the derenville magic mate and being hypnotized by the result.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast