Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Audio Research 160M

There is a great review of the Ref 160M in current issue of HiFi+ by Alan Sircom.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    There is a great review of the Ref 160M in current issue of HiFi+ by Alan Sircom.
    Agreed. It’s a great review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I think he likes them ;-)

I listened for a while last night with my wife... she is quite amazed how much more powerful the sound is, far more so than just upping the watts. We listened to “ Pictures at an Exhibition” (Mussorsky) on vinyl. I was pinned to my chair—these amps are something special.

Reading great reviews after purchasing offers a nice dose of “yeah, what he said!”

Audioshark

Spent some valuable time listening to these gems over the weekend. Just love them. Can’t believe how musical they are. Triode mode is delicious!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Guys, I read this entire string tonight and have been sitting here drooling just thinking about it! Congratulations to all who’ve made the jump to the 160’s. I heard them on demo at my local dealer here in Dallas and was completely blown away by them! They were demonstrated on an all ARC setting with Alexia’s and OH Man! I think, no, I know it was the best ARC sound I’ve heard. It so effortlessly brought everything you could want as the three owners have described here. I too lust for them Bob! By the way, as most demo’s go the presenters bring their best CD’s or streamed music to play. We asked him to put some vinyl on and he very willingly obliged and put this Satchmo Plays King Oliver album on; I nearly fell out of my seat it was so holographic and real! Give it a listen on your 160’s, and congratulations again!

Olskool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ARC Ref 210 Mono's, ARC Ref 5SE, ARC Ref Phono2, NordostTyr1interconnects, NAD M5 CD/SACD, Linn LP12, Ekos 1, Booplinth, Lyra Delos cart, Kore, HRS1 Isolation table, Pioneer RT-707 Reel, Wilson Sophia, Nordost Tyr speaker cables, Kubala Sosna Emotion Interconnects / Power Cable, QB4 conditioner, StillPoint SS Isolation, StillPoint Aperatures, Nordost Power cables, ASC Tube Traps

Hi Larry - Nice update. Indeed the 160s are really special. Hope all is well.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Hello Mike, very good to chat with you again. Always a very nice pleasure! I trust all is good with you too! How is your system doing? I cant imagine what your kit is composed of now, but I’m sure it’s exquisite.

Larry
    ARC Ref 210 Mono's, ARC Ref 5SE, ARC Ref Phono2, NordostTyr1interconnects, NAD M5 CD/SACD, Linn LP12, Ekos 1, Booplinth, Lyra Delos cart, Kore, HRS1 Isolation table, Pioneer RT-707 Reel, Wilson Sophia, Nordost Tyr speaker cables, Kubala Sosna Emotion Interconnects / Power Cable, QB4 conditioner, StillPoint SS Isolation, StillPoint Aperatures, Nordost Power cables, ASC Tube Traps

Reference 160M reviewed in October Stereophile... has anyone seen this review yet? Conclusion?

I’m not current in my Stereophile subscription—but curious if the review is as positive as the two I’ve seen from across the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    Reference 160M reviewed in October Stereophile... has anyone seen this review yet? Conclusion?

I’m not current in my Stereophile subscription—but curious if the review is as positive as the two I’ve seen from across the pond.
    Very positive review. Used with Alexia 2 and Ref 6 preamp. Compared to DAG progression amps.

Stereo version of 160M under intensive cooking...seen the "wipers" kickin'
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    Stereo version of 160M under intensive cooking...seen the "wipers" kickin'

Bob - Stereophile raved about the 160Ms. These amps are keepers! Enjoy the music!

Mike

I had a few audio buddies over last night for some listening with the 160M's, and one thing I noted is the sweet spot is greatly expanded in my listening room... the increased resolution and placement of instruments in the soundstage allows for much better imaging even when not right in the prime seat. Sure, voices that are defined by equal volume from each speaker to appear centered when in the sweet spot are going to be shifted if you're sitting left or right, but other voices and instruments maintain pretty good separation even though shifted. This makes it more fun for me when having people over because I never take the sweet spot when guests are listening, and I didn't feel like I missed out.

Everyone was impressed how much better my Alexias sounded. So far, I am listening mostly in pentode mode, it seems the Alexias really do love having the extra power. Triode mode is great too but the lowest octave control is a little softer in triode mode (not unexpected) and the impact of the Alexia bass has never been as clean and controlled (in my room) as with the 160s.

Additionally, my room remodel is paying YUGE dividends -- the bass depth and control provided by the 160s may be much less apparent in a room that gets activated by so much energy. We certainly played some cuts last night with significant volume and my room didn't flinch, there was no overhang or sense things got muddy as the volume increased. As an example, we played a number of cuts from Robert Plant / Allison Krauss "Raising Sand" album, mastered by T Bone Burnett. This album has what I have always considered "over-cooked" bass and in my prior room up in Seattle I could hardly listen, the bass energy just activated the room and things went to hell quickly if the volume went up. Now, while still over-cooked (IMHO) the bass is clear and articulate, even when played at >95+ dB.

Hell yeah, live concerts in my basement! This is as much fun as this hobby has ever given me. If you are ever in the neighborhood, do stop by for a listen.

Now, while still over-cooked (IMHO) the bass is clear and articulate, even when played at >95+ dB.

Hell yeah, live concerts in my basement! This is as much fun as this hobby has ever given me. If you are ever in the neighborhood, do stop by for a listen.
    Fabulous Bob! Now, just take care of your ears!

Mike

Makes one wonder whether there are similar plans afoot for a makeover of the REF 250se's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    Makes one wonder whether there are similar plans afoot for a makeover of the REF 250se's ?
    yes,why should not be there a 260M;Many moons ago when i wanted to buy GS 150,someone whispered,wait 160 is in the works and you can't buy GS now because the dude in Florida got all five remaining pieces.i wonder if some one was digging into spare parts to complete the set.
    Since M160 is $30K,how about 40K for dream 260M,any bets it might be announced end of this year or early next year.
    Money can buy Love

I am sure there are updates in the works for the mid-power and ultimate big-boys, and there will be those speakers who need the power boost, and of course the stereo version is well underway. The changes to circuit and components will for sure filter up... but how often do you see companies lead with the lower tier product and filter the tech upwards? Usually the other way ‘round.
    Last edited by Bobvin; September 17, 2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: I had misspelled “companies” using the possesive rather than plural form

Quote Originally Posted by sam5 View Post
    .......Since M160 is $30K,how about 40K for dream 260M,any bets it might be announced end of this year or early next year.
    Money can buy Love
    I shudder what a Ref260M will cost if a Ref160 is about $30K !!

With our exchange rate I seriously doubt if there will be many buyers, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
    I shudder what a Ref260M will cost if a Ref160 is about $30K !!

With our exchange rate I seriously doubt if there will be many buyers, if any.
    My best guess 45K

Audioshark

I do find it strange that the hours meter is put at the back- at this price point a fascia indicator would have been nice- especially when rack mounted.

Audioshark

I do find it strange that the hours meter is put at the back- at this price point a fascia indicator would have been nice- especially when rack mounted.
    I don’t see many people rack mounting 160M’s. They would need a shelf about 15 inches high. These babies are meant to be on gorgeous amp stands and proudly on display, not stuck in a rack.

At least it's not on the inside of the amp.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I'm glad they included one... but its location and size could have been better thought out. It isn't easy to get 'round behind the amps, and down low enough to read the meters. When I do my eyeglasses fall off!

I'm glad they included one... but its location and size could have been better thought out. It isn't easy to get 'round behind the amps, and down low enough to read the meters. When I do my eyeglasses fall off!
    Selfie stick with pocket mirror attached?

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don’t see many people rack mounting 160M’s. They would need a shelf about 15 inches high. These babies are meant to be on gorgeous amp stands and proudly on display, not stuck in a rack.
    I have seen the Ref 160M’s on the top of two racks and it worked very well. Bottom line is for optimal performance, nothing should be above them, so on the top of the racks or on amp stands.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Selfie stick with pocket mirror attached?

Bruce

Good grief !!

Would it not be so much easier if the hours indicator could have been added to the front fascia?

The older I get the greater the emphasis on convenience...

Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

Rantz, how do those 160m's sound with the 4367?

Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Translation: "Nobody puts Baby in the corner'
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

Mike, Do you have any Amp stand/rack recommendation for these babies?

Audioshark

https://youtu.be/d52CvZTKYAY

Thanks for sharing, Mike.

how does the Ref 160 improve upon the Ref75SE on an efficient speaker?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Mike.

how does the Ref 160 improve upon the Ref75SE on an efficient speaker?
    The typical benefits of mono amps + triode mode setting = magic. But in ultralinear, sonically, close.

Is the Ref 75se on par with the 80se? The 80se is the current amp at $7500.00, right?

Hardly, apples to apples in set up, I heard the 80se and I didn't find it close to the 160M, regarding control. The bass was a bit wooly and it didn't hold up with complex music, let it get meshed up.

The typical benefits of mono amps + triode mode setting = magic. But in ultralinear, sonically, close.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Is the Ref 75se on par with the 80se? The 80se is the current amp at $7500.00, right?

Hardly, apples to apples in set up, I heard the 80se and I didn't find it close to the 160M, regarding control. The bass was a bit wooly and it didn't hold up with complex music, let it get meshed up.
    The VT80SE is a different class of amp. It’s not Reference Level, it’s part of the Foundation series.

Oh.... duh, I read "REF", wrote REF, but somehow the light didn't come on, LOL

The VT80SE is a different class of amp. It’s not Reference Level, it’s part of the Foundation series.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I heard the 160’s side by side vs the new boulder 28k amp and it wasn’t even close. I was impressed woth some of the things the Boulder did, but it was meh for me. The 160 was a treat. I felt it was so coherent. Gave a true 3D presentation. I was involved woth the music. Honestly it is one of my favorite amps right now. When we put on the dragon cords it scaled into another level above. I can’t imagine how it will sound with Garth’s new Firebird I believe it is called.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each

If the M160 sound good I wonder what can be expected from the future M260 mono-blocks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    I heard the 160’s side by side vs the new boulder 28k amp and it wasn’t even close. I was impressed woth some of the things the Boulder did, but it was meh for me. The 160 was a treat. I felt it was so coherent. Gave a true 3D presentation. I was involved woth the music. Honestly it is one of my favorite amps right now. When we put on the dragon cords it scaled into another level above. I can’t imagine how it will sound with Garth’s new Firebird I believe it is called.

Audioshark

It sounds grrreeat! Audio Research 160M

I was as surprised as you were hearing the "new" ARC sound. Would never have guessed 10 years ago I would own one.

I've debated a 160m upgrade, but since I'm (physically) disabled going tube monoblocks is difficult and a major PITA. Actually, my 75SE is in the shop right now getting fixed- tube went out and took a resistor with it.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

I too am disabled and I sold my tube gear. Now I have two tubes in my Memory Player server. I feel that SS has caught up if done right. That said this new set of AR gear is special.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

The 160M IMO, looks French and not bold American ARC.

Audioshark

May issue....

How "bold" do you want the 160M to be? Want a pair of Colt 6 six guns hanging off the sides? What have you got against the French?

I need to get this issue. I got to hear the 160M with two different systems and was absolutely blown away. I know there are many other top brands of amps out there, but it's hard to think others are better. Different sure, but amazing amps.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

Quote Originally Posted by skytop View Post
    How "bold" do you want the 160M to be? Want a pair of Colt 6 six guns hanging off the sides? What have you got against the French?
    I like the way you think!

Loving mine after a year

An in depth review of the Ref 160M (8 pages!) in the May/June 2019 issue of The Absolute Sound.

Hi,
    Does anyone know how ARC plans on using this new architecture from the 160S and 160M with their pre-amps and phono stages. I saw the REF 6 will now be upgraded to the REF 6SE and current REF 6 owners can upgrade. Does anyone know if that will be the same for REF 10 owners -- will the next top model preamp be a REF 10SE that current REF 10 owners can upgrade? How about with the REF 3 Phono -- will that be replaced and will current REF 3 Phono owners be able to upgrade. Thank you, Larry
    Rockport Avior Speakers; ARC Ref 10 Pre-amp; ARC REF 75 SE amp/Boulder 2060 amp; Galibie Stelvio turntable with Kuzma 4Point tonearm and Van den Hul cartridge; Boulder 1008 phono stage; Ayre QA9 ADC; Light Harmonics Dual Dac; Nordost Frey 2 power cables and speaker cables; Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnects; Shunyata and Nordost power conditioning.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Audio Research 160M