Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: upgrade time ?

upgrade time ?

I guess I am like most of you and continually buy and sell audio gear . Sometimes I am very happy with my system ( like now ) but feel the need to spend money just for the heck of it . So , I am considering either "upgrading" either my Cary SLP-5 preamp or my Ayon 2S player . Not sure what I am really looking for but maybe a bit more high end extension ? At 65 I am sure my hearing isnt perfect anymore . Should I tube roll the Cary ? Should I tube roll the Ayon with a pair of those super 6H30P DR tubes ? ( $300 each , yikes ! ) Or just be happy my system is great ? Power amps are Conrad Johnson 60 , Bottle Head 300b mono's , First Watt F6 and Nelson Pass 6 wpc single ended jobbies . Speakers are Tekton Enzo 2.7 . I have had 5 pairs of speakers over the last 4 years , I'm not sure I want to go there again... Thx for the help guys ( budget about 7 - 8k )

Audioshark

Re: upgrade time ?

What’s your source(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

You might consider a visit to the audiologist if you'd like to check on your hearing as a starting point.

Past that, I suspect auditioning some different preamps and amps is more likely to change the perceived high frequency response than tube rolling would. But given your current combination of gear, I also think there's a chance you will want to use a different CD player if you switched out your preamp/amp.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

What speakers have you had in the last 4 years?

The suggestion from Neko might be helpful. Having a program in my hearing aids that I use for listening to music was well worth the effort.

It is kind of reverse engineering but, listening to other systems often reinforces what I clearly like in mine. It may give you some more direction.

I'm in Wesley Chapel, only 25 minutes from downtown Tampa. Let me know if you want to listen to my choices. It is not a sound you have to want. Just a different sound and approach to our obsessive hobby.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    You might consider a visit to the audiologist if you'd like to check on your hearing as a starting point.

Past that, I suspect auditioning some different preamps and amps is more likely to change the perceived high frequency response than tube rolling would. But given your current combination of gear, I also think there's a chance you will want to use a different CD player if you switched out your preamp/amp.
    I had my hearing checked last year and there is some loss at high frequencies , was told it was normal for a 64 year old guy so I'm ok with that . Can you explain why I might have to change out my cd player if I change my pre amp ? Also , between the Cary SLP-05 and the Ayon 2S which one do you believe is the weak link ?

Quote Originally Posted by stereogeek View Post
    Also , between the Cary SLP-05 and the Ayon 2S which one do you believe is the weak link ?
    Another option is to complete the Ultimate Upgrade on your Cary SLP-05. I did this over a year ago on mine and felt it was absolutely worth the money.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    What speakers have you had in the last 4 years?

The suggestion from Neko might be helpful. Having a program in my hearing aids that I use for listening to music was well worth the effort.

It is kind of reverse engineering but, listening to other systems often reinforces what I clearly like in mine. It may give you some more direction.

I'm in Wesley Chapel, only 25 minutes from downtown Tampa. Let me know if you want to listen to my choices. It is not a sound you have to want. Just a different sound and approach to our obsessive hobby.
    My speakers over the last 4 or so years have been Maggies , Vandersteen , Thiel ( 2 ) and the current ones . I have drifted away from the high powered amps / low efficiency speaker setup that I enjoyed for 30+ years about 5 years ago . Now that I have a smaller room ( 14x20 ) small / medium floor standers work just great . I may take you up on your generous offer in the near future , thanks . The sick thing is I am very happy with the way it is now but have that expensive bug again. I'm even considering building a pair of the Bottlehead Jagr speakers just for the fun of it . Thanks again guys .

age 65 and 'high end extension' = LOL !

at 66 how well I know !

I can't believe the number of speakers you've owned in the short period period of time. Is it the speaker or your listening room in question ???
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    Another option is to complete the Ultimate Upgrade on your Cary SLP-05. I did this over a year ago on mine and felt it was absolutely worth the money.
    I would rather not give Cary anymore of my money for reasons I would not rather discuss here. I am glad they did a good job for you and you are happy with it . What were differences after the upgrade ? Quite honestly , if Mike Vansevers was still around I would let him modify my Cary in a heartbeat .

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    age 65 and 'high end extension' = LOL !

at 66 how well I know !

I can't believe the number of speakers you've owned in the short period period of time. Is it the speaker or your listening room in question ???
    I started to listen to some low powered systems with high efficiency speakers at the time and was convinced I could duplicate the sound . I started chasing speakers and amps for a bit there . Kinda went crazy buying stuff ….lol . I finally wound up with a pair of $1000 speakers ( on advice of an audiophile friend ) that would rock on 15 wpc . I took all but 4 tubes out of my Cary V12 ( about 17 wpc in full triode mode ) , biased it accordingly and I was stunned . It was liquid , dynamic as hell and that magical midrange was just as musical as heck . Something about low powered amps and high efficiency speakers just does it for me .

How are your power foundation and cabling? I’d look at these first.

I would rather not give Cary anymore of my money for reasons I would not rather discuss here. I am glad they did a good job for you and you are happy with it . What were differences after the upgrade ? Quite honestly , if Mike Vansevers was still around I would let him modify my Cary in a heartbeat .
    I guess the best way to describe the upgrade was that everything had more life. There was an improved level of refinement to the sound that made it easier to suspend disbelief. I also added a NOS Mullard fat base rectifier tube a few months after the upgrade that elevated performance even further, giving the sound more weight. I hope that helps!
    Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    I guess the best way to describe the upgrade was that everything had more life. There was an improved level of refinement to the sound that made it easier to suspend disbelief. I also added a NOS Mullard fat base rectifier tube a few months after the upgrade that elevated performance even further, giving the sound more weight. I hope that helps!
    I have thought really hard about letting them do the upgrade but I have had this piece for a while now and have the bug to get something else ( just for the hell of it I guess ). Thanks again .

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    How are your power foundation and cabling? I’d look at these first.
    I have a PS power plant premier , my system only draws about 500 watts total so I think I'm good here. I have all kinds of cables …. Cardas , Tara Labs , Audio Quest , Nordost , Zu , Gabriel Gold , LAT and a bunch of cords from Vansevers . I don't have any $10,000 cords or anything , most of them are their midgrade stuff $500 to $3000 . I'll have to say my new rack from Adona made a huge difference , very pleased with it . Thanks for the help . P.S. What's really fun about this hobby is how everything makes a difference , some good some bad.

I have thought really hard about letting them do the upgrade but I have had this piece for a while now and have the bug to get something else ( just for the hell of it I guess ). Thanks again .
    I totally understand that impulse!
    Morgan

Audio Research Ref 6 is a hell of a preamp, and works great with other makers' amps.

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    Audio Research Ref 6 is a hell of a preamp, and works great with other makers' amps.
    I hadn't really considered the Ref 6 as there are so many options out there . Since you mentioned it I did a bit of looking around and it looks like a really nice upgrade from what I have . I really like the fact that it will play nice with other power amps as I have a few . Appreciate your feed back , the Ref 6 is a really nice piece . Anyone want to take a shot at a my Ayon 2S ? What would be an upgrade for 7-8k ( or less maybe ?). Thanks again guys .

Can you explain why I might have to change out my cd player if I change my pre amp ? Also , between the Cary SLP-05 and the Ayon 2S which one do you believe is the weak link ?
    Well, there are times that gear gets matched in ways that some would say complement each other, but others would say mask each other.

Given the sound character of your preamp and amp choices, it's possible that if you were to initially swap those out then a characteristic of the CD player that was previously complemented/masked in a way that was enjoyable to you would no longer be present. One reaction might be to say the new preamp and/or amp you're trying out is the issue. But a different way to look at it would be to consider that now you're hearing something about the CD player, and that is the issue.

It is not that any particular component is a weak link. It's just that you've built something towards a particular preference and you may not be able to gain what you're looking for without losing what your preference is, without changing more than one piece of equipment.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

I think you hit it right on the head there. I really want a new preamp and / or cd player but I am afraid an upgrade wont be an upgrade . Everything works together to give the type of sound each person is looking for , this is why I have 4 different power amps . I am still going to look around and read all the threads here and make a decision in the next week or so . Thanks again for the feedback , everyone .

upgrade time ?

I have a PS power plant premier , my system only draws about 500 watts total so I think I'm good here. I have all kinds of cables …. Cardas , Tara Labs , Audio Quest , Nordost , Zu , Gabriel Gold , LAT and a bunch of cords from Vansevers . I don't have any $10,000 cords or anything , most of them are their midgrade stuff $500 to $3000 . I'll have to say my new rack from Adona made a huge difference , very pleased with it . Thanks for the help . P.S. What's really fun about this hobby is how everything makes a difference , some good some bad.
    Try Shunyata Denali 6000S v2?

I went from PS Audio P10 to Denali 6000T and found music is more relaxed and coherent. P10 is supposedly better than Premier and 6000S v2 as well over 6000T. Denali’s aren’t crazy expensive. AQ Niagara 5000 is also another well-reviewed one in the same range and I’m certain it will provide improvement over Premier, which is pretty long in the tooth now.

Dang it , I thought I was covered in the power conditioner area . You are correct , after looking around a bit I see what I have is just "ok" but thats about it . I guess I just took the Premier for granted and was only considering component upgrades . Thx , that helps a bunch .

Dang it , I thought I was covered in the power conditioner area . You are correct , after looking around a bit I see what I have is just "ok" but thats about it . I guess I just took the Premier for granted and was only considering component upgrades . Thx , that helps a bunch .
    No problem. Glad to be of help.

Should I tube roll the Cary ? Should I tube roll the Ayon with a pair of those super 6H30P DR tubes ? ( $300 each , yikes ! )
    If you are still using the stock 6SN7s, I would DEFINITELY replace those with your favorite NOS 6SN7. It will make a HUGE improvement.
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

After much hem-hawing around I have decided to go in a completely different direction . I have decided to build a pair of Jager speakers from Bottlehead . They are 94 db and designed to work well with 300b amps . I have heard a few of Doc's creations over the years and have no doubt they will be outstanding . Not only that but it gives me something to build , which I really enjoy . In the near future they are releasing active tubed crossovers for these , should be spectacular. Thanks again for the help and feedback everyone, I really appreciate it .

Super Moderator

Please post some photos along the way. We’d love to see your progress.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

upgrade time ?