Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1

    Shindo owners thread

    Perhaps to avoid some of the distractions the other Shindo threads get, maybe this one can just be got Shindo owners.

    In particular, anyone considering any upgrades? I must say I am basically done with my system.

    I would like to find another backup cartridge for my 301.

    Anything else new in the Shindo or Devore or A23 world?

  2. #2

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Keep your eyes on A23. I anticipate a long line of A23/ Line Magnetic speakers. There are at least 4 or 5 models I could've gone for instead of Shindo. It's really an embarrassment of riches. Devore, no offense, doesn't interest me quite as much. A totally different world to me.

    Disclaimer: I've always been a vintage guy at heart and my first real amp as a real audiophile was 2a3 based. As such, A23 and LM appeal to me like a modern day WE. Devore, not so much. I've owned a few pair, tho.

    I'd love to do a LM system. The top line amplification is so interesting. Maybe with some a23 speakers or the big LM horns. Whooo yes. Sadly, there is no room in the inn.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    I need to look more closely at the new a23 speakers. The solovox was a legend but single driver didn't interest me.

    I would love to get those big old western electric theater horns. Maybe too if I had the space.

  4. #4

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    I also mentioned elsewhere, I spent a small fortune and bought a matched pair of western electric 300b tubes from the mid 1950's.

    Now how will they sound if I swapped out the 1988 pair from my 300b amps?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    289

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    My a23 lm755 hommage will be here Monday!
    Chris

    Garrard 301, SME 2012r, EMT TSD15, A23 T2 Hommage SUT, Shindo Montille, Shindo Aurieges, Shindo ICs and Auditorium Speaker Cables, Auditorium A23 Hommage 755a Speakers.

  6. #6

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I also mentioned elsewhere, I spent a small fortune and bought a matched pair of western electric 300b tubes from the mid 1950's.

    Now how will they sound if I swapped out the 1988 pair from my 300b amps?
    Since the air is very thin where your amps live I doubt the responses will be either numerous or helpful. Matt or JH will be your best guides in this area.
    Shindo D'Yquem's
    Shindo Vosne Romanee
    Devore 0/96
    Luxman PD-171
    Dynavector xx2 MkII
    Mac Mini
    Luxman DA-06
    Magnum Dynalab MD107t
    Shindo and A23 Cables

    J.J.

  7. #7

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    That was a rhetorical question, though certainly didn't make that clear. I am just going to try. And I wanted back up tubes anyway.

    Though when you mentioned very thin air, at first I was thinking, I live at sea level!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,978

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    My last post in shindo thread. Its so good to know the shindo will work with anything depends on your taste.
    Paul

  9. #9

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    That was a rhetorical question, though certainly didn't make that clear. I am just going to try. And I wanted back up tubes anyway.

    Though when you mentioned very thin air, at first I was thinking, I live at sea level!
    You may live at sea level but your amps and speakers at a much higher level. Very few Shindo owners have your setup. Good and bad. Good, one of the best systems around. Bad, hard to get advice or experience from anyone other than your dealer. Enjoy.
    Shindo D'Yquem's
    Shindo Vosne Romanee
    Devore 0/96
    Luxman PD-171
    Dynavector xx2 MkII
    Mac Mini
    Luxman DA-06
    Magnum Dynalab MD107t
    Shindo and A23 Cables

    J.J.

  10. #10

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    My last post in shindo thread. Its so good to know the shindo will work with anything depends on your taste.
    Good post. To each his own choice.
    Shindo D'Yquem's
    Shindo Vosne Romanee
    Devore 0/96
    Luxman PD-171
    Dynavector xx2 MkII
    Mac Mini
    Luxman DA-06
    Magnum Dynalab MD107t
    Shindo and A23 Cables

    J.J.

  11. #11

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I also mentioned elsewhere, I spent a small fortune and bought a matched pair of western electric 300b tubes from the mid 1950's.

    Now how will they sound if I swapped out the 1988 pair from my 300b amps?
    you may have spent a small fortune now, but they won't drop in value any time soon.. (what other hobbies can you say that about?)

    time for some WE 274B next, or perhaps just some older production 5R4GY?

  12. #12

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by omodo View Post
    you may have spent a small fortune now, but they won't drop in value any time soon.. (what other hobbies can you say that about?)

    time for some WE 274B next, or perhaps just some older production 5R4GY?
    I don't see the vintage WE going down in price.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    My last post in shindo thread. Its so good to know the shindo will work with anything depends on your taste.
    Yes, I don't know why this is so difficult for everyone, but I don't think any of the Shindo owners - and this is an owners thread - disagree or have ever disagreed with the fact that you have every right to do high end audio in whatever way makes you happy!

    Your post is swell, but clearly you are trying to make your point front the other thread. Please leave it there. This thread is owners comparing notes and intended to be devoid of the controversy as clearly stated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Looks like Jerome got rid of his Wilson's for Harbeth, completely or just to try?

  15. #15

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    I should get a pair of WE 274b's, but I don't think the need for replacement is as great, but frankly they just aren't as exciting as 300b's for some reason to me.

  16. #16

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    I agree that old WE tubes are a great investment, unless someone really produces better sounding ones. There are ripoffs out there though. Re stenciled etc.

  17. #17

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
    Yes, I don't know why this is so difficult for everyone, but I don't think any of the Shindo owners - and this is an owners thread - disagree or have ever disagreed with the fact that you have every right to do high end audio in whatever way makes you happy!

    Your post is swell, but clearly you are trying to make your point front the other thread. Please leave it there. This thread is owners comparing notes and intended to be devoid of the controversy as clearly stated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well said Kev. Moving forward on that thought could you take a few minutes to talk to us about your new speakers. Just your impressions on general characteristics, speaker placement etc. Thanks.
    Shindo D'Yquem's
    Shindo Vosne Romanee
    Devore 0/96
    Luxman PD-171
    Dynavector xx2 MkII
    Mac Mini
    Luxman DA-06
    Magnum Dynalab MD107t
    Shindo and A23 Cables

    J.J.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,978

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
    Your post is swell, but clearly you are trying to make your point front the other thread. Please leave it there. This thread is owners comparing notes and intended to be devoid of the controversy as clearly stated.
    Don't worry....As I mentioned that was my last post in Shindo forum. Happy listening
    Paul

  19. #19

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I should get a pair of WE 274b's, but I don't think the need for replacement is as great, but frankly they just aren't as exciting as 300b's for some reason to me.
    You may be surprised by the difference a really good rectifier makes. There are cheaper options than the 274B to experiment with.. (early RCA - dark brown base, double angled getters, for example)

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Vancouver B.C.
    Posts
    175

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    My last post in shindo thread. Its so good to know the shindo will work with anything depends on your taste.
    I love the room with the Kensingtons and the orchid on the wood table. I would love to listen to music in that room.
    The one with the pillows on the ceiling is just plain odd? Paul, remember, fresh start for us all. Stick around please.
    DALE

    Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Vancouver B.C.
    Posts
    175

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cucumber_jones View Post
    My a23 lm755 hommage will be here Monday!
    I'll be over on Tuesday!
    DALE

    Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Vancouver B.C.
    Posts
    175

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Perhaps to avoid some of the distractions the other Shindo threads get, maybe this one can just be got Shindo owners.

    In particular, anyone considering any upgrades? I must say I am basically done with my system.

    I would like to find another backup cartridge for my 301.

    Anything else new in the Shindo or Devore or A23 world?
    Rower, What is your system? I would love to see a pic.
    DALE

    Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

  23. #23

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Katoomer View Post
    Rower, What is your system? I would love to see a pic.
    Basically all Shindo except for the A23 speaker cables

    Shindo 301 tt system, Shindo WE618b and A23 T2 step ups, Shindo Giscours, Shindo WE 300b ltd, Shindo Latours and Shindo interconnects.

    Bought into the system approach obviously!

    No thoughts of change or upgrading.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Corrales, NM
    Posts
    115

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Basically all Shindo except for the A23 speaker cables

    Shindo 301 tt system, Shindo WE618b and A23 T2 step ups, Shindo Giscours, Shindo WE 300b ltd, Shindo Latours and Shindo interconnects.

    Bought into the system approach obviously!

    No thoughts of change or upgrading.
    Me too, minus the 301. What a great system! I do find that super tweeters helped my 604's to sparkle. That was the last upgrade - no more for me at this time.
    Craig

    Listening Room:
    Shindo Vosne Romanee and Haut Brion, Shindo Alnico 604's, Fostex T90A's, slate Lenco TT, Schick tonearm, Bob's Devices 1311, PS Audio DirectStream, Naim CD5, Sonos, Shindo IC's and wire, WE wire
    On loan - in a buddy's man cave: Almarro a205a, Sonos, Rega Juras
    HT: McCormack MAP1 and HT3, Manaplaner CC2 and MC1's, REL, Cambridge DacMagic, Sonos

  25. #25

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Altec specs the 604 version used in Shindo speakers with a flat response from 30-22000 cycles.
    That should be more highs than any averyge guy can hear. So why modify a perfect two way speaker to a three way system when there may be a fault elsewhere?
    Try to bypass the oil caps with a foil cap in the high freq. section of the dividing network.

    The only tweeter of value is a Western Electric, GIP or LM 597A because its nearly unaudible. All other you can hear easily and they destroy the homogenity of the sound.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Corrales, NM
    Posts
    115

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Altec specs the 604 version used in Shindo speakers with a flat response from 30-22000 cycles.
    That should be more highs than any averyge guy can hear. So why modify a perfect two way speaker to a three way system when there may be a fault elsewhere?
    Try to bypass the oil caps with a foil cap in the high freq. section of the dividing network.

    The only tweeter of value is a Western Electric, GIP or LM 597A because its nearly unaudible. All other you can hear easily and they destroy the homogenity of the sound.
    Are you suggesting that I crack open my speakers and alter the Shindo designed crossover?
    Craig

    Listening Room:
    Shindo Vosne Romanee and Haut Brion, Shindo Alnico 604's, Fostex T90A's, slate Lenco TT, Schick tonearm, Bob's Devices 1311, PS Audio DirectStream, Naim CD5, Sonos, Shindo IC's and wire, WE wire
    On loan - in a buddy's man cave: Almarro a205a, Sonos, Rega Juras
    HT: McCormack MAP1 and HT3, Manaplaner CC2 and MC1's, REL, Cambridge DacMagic, Sonos

  27. #27
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    29,987

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Any of you guys tried the NORD amps on your Shindo speakers? Shindo owners thread.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  28. #28

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Obviously this Shindo designed speaker system doesnt fit your audio needs, otherwise why do you have to alter it with a low budget tweeter and destroy its coherency?
    No, you dont have to "crack up" the speaker. There are screws in the back of it to smoothly open it.
    But in fact, something must going wrong in your system or in your room. I already explained that this Altec is capable to have a flat frequency response from 30-22K cycles. So whats going on in your system that makes it necessary to add a second tweeter when the so called perfect Shindo dividing unit is not capable to make it audible?
    You should ask that yourself and give you a right answer instead of altering an (almost) perfect speaker.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Near Paris, France
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Obviously this Shindo designed speaker system doesnt fit your audio needs, otherwise why do you have to alter it with a low budget tweeter and destroy its coherency?
    No, you dont have to "crack up" the speaker. There are screws in the back of it to smoothly open it.
    But in fact, something must going wrong in your system or in your room. I already explained that this Altec is capable to have a flat frequency response from 30-22K cycles. So whats going on in your system that makes it necessary to add a second tweeter when the so called perfect Shindo dividing unit is not capable to make it audible?
    You should ask that yourself and give you a right answer instead of altering an (almost) perfect speaker.
    Shindo, as far as I know, was not interested in frequency extension at both ends of the spectrum. Does not have anything to see with the abilities of the 604 itself.
    Moreover, most people know that the specs given by Altec are not very accurate.
    My 807 compression for example is given to go as high as 22kHz.
    Very very far from the reality, no matter which horn you will use and the filter type.
    There is almost nothing at 15k !
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

  30. #30

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    So Jerome, do you think that Ken had designed this speaker without enough high freq. energy so that someone had to use an external tweeter (of what quality level is another question) to get sufficient results? That means changing the whole system to three ways, you know.
    To me, that couldnt be the original design intention, its just a way to corrupt a fine system.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Near Paris, France
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    So Jerome, do you think that Ken had designed this speaker without enough high freq. energy so that someone had to use an external tweeter (of what quality level is another question) to get sufficient results? That means changing the whole system to three ways, you know.
    To me, that couldnt be the original design intention, its just a way to corrupt a fine system.
    No not at all. Ken designed speakers to be used "as is".
    But treble and bass extension have never been priorities for him.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

  32. #32

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    With Kens speakers, both frequency extremes are always domesticated, but that doesnt mean that treble and bass have no priority for him. In fact, he spend much effort to give them the qualities they have with his speaker designs.
    To use a third party, low budget tweeter with them is like ordering ketchup to a three star dinner. But there always will be people who prefer this taste.

  33. #33

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    With Kens speakers, both frequency extremes are always domesticated, but that doesnt mean that treble and bass have no priority for him. In fact, he spend much effort to give them the qualities they have with his speaker designs.
    To use a third party, low budget tweeter with them is like ordering ketchup to a three star dinner. But there always will be people who prefer this taste.

    Bad Walter - this was clearly labeled for posts by Shindo owners only. Thanks.

  34. #34

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Hi, is there someone who have compared a Shindo Petite or big latour in a Shindo system with a Western electric / Line Magnetic 22a or 16a horn speaker? Where are the strength of each speakers?

  35. #35

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    The difference is, that Ken refined his speakers to a certain level of quality. And quality is mostly indiscribable. Even by auditioning, some people will still miss the point. One of those several points is coherence. An excellent chef can create such a meal with some different components combining. An amateur in Western Electric loudspeaker systems won't be able to let it shine the way Western Electric once intended it.

  36. #36

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Bad Walter - this was clearly labeled for posts by Shindo owners only. Thanks.
    LOL. I owned and still own enough Shindo to participate on this thread.

  37. #37

    Re: Shindo owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Basically all Shindo except for the A23 speaker cables

    Shindo 301 tt system, Shindo WE618b and A23 T2 step ups, Shindo Giscours, Shindo WE 300b ltd, Shindo Latours and Shindo interconnects.

    Bought into the system approach obviously!

    No thoughts of change or upgrading.

    Over 7 years later and nothing has changed in my system. No desire to either. Still looking for another cartridge though!

    No stereo stores, reviews or forums in the interim but looking more at vinyl again.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Shindo owners thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •