Heads-up, changes en route: Adding AudioNet’s engineering-marvel Humboldt to the system

Kuoppis

15974dc03d15cc33152e557a9142f2d0.jpg

Really excited about the change. The Soulutions are great, but getting long in the teeth. So, it was time to try out something new.

As some of you might remember, I’ve been ogling AudioNet’s Scientist Series for a while. I had a good offer on the Heisenbergs, but could not get a decent deal on the Stern pre. And, my 92 db sensitive Lansches do not really need 1000 wpc to shine. Less Watts are also good for the marriage, I believe.

I also do enjoy the fact, that design is not an afterthought. The Humboldt has after all been designed by Hartmut Esslinger of Macintosh II fame. It received the coveted European Red Dot design award, and is also on display at the Smithsonian for it’s innovative Floating Pane design to avoid microphonic effects.

Engineering-wise a marvel, the Humboldt packs specs other integrateds (or power amps for that matter) only dream about:

- 320 wpc at 8 Ohms
- freq response 0-700 kHz (-3 db) (similar to the Soulutions)
- 400 microfarad filtering and capacitance (like the 511)
- channel separation of 140 db (20-20.000 Hz)
- double mono layout (two transformers per channel, 2 x 100 VA and 2 x 850 VA), with a total of 4 power supplies for positive and negative power currents, separate for input & driver stage and power stage
- high damping factor (not a publicized figure, but Thomas Gessler was kind enough to find it out for me)
- 1.800 bei 10 kHz
- 10.000 bei 100 Hz

That number means the Humboldt can drive pretty much anything. For comparison, the Classé Delta Monos I was also interested in have a damping factor of 850. So, the specs are pretty much all right.

Paid my dues today, and am going now to suffer until the month’s end until I will take delivery of the 61 Kg baby.

Going back to an integrated, imagine that. A $55K one though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats!! I heard this in Munich when it debuted. Totally unlike the old AudioNet sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats!! I heard this in Munich when it debuted. Totally unlike the old AudioNet sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes indeed. You would not see me buying any of the old models. The Scientist Series is the thing.

15974dc03d15cc33152e557a9142f2d0.jpg

Really excited about the change. The Soulutions are great, but getting long in the teeth. So, it was time to try out something new.

As some of you might remember, I’ve been ogling AudioNet’s Scientist Series for a while. I had a good offer on the Heisenbergs, but could not get a decent deal on the Stern pre. And, my 92 db sensitive Lansches do not really need 1000 wpc to shine. Less Watts are also good for the marriage, I believe.

I also do enjoy the fact, that design is not an afterthought. The Humboldt has after all been designed by Hartmut Esslinger of Macintosh II fame. It received the coveted European Red Dot design award, and is also on display at the Smithsonian for it’s innovative Floating Pane design to avoid microphonic effects.

Engineering-wise a marvel, the Humboldt packs specs other integrateds (or power amps for that matter) only dream about:

- 320 wpc at 8 Ohms
- freq response 0-700 Hz (-3 db) (similar to the Soulutions)
- 400 microfarad filtering and capacitance (like the 511)
- channel separation of 140 db (20-20.000 Hz)
- double mono layout (two transformers per channel, 2 x 100 VA and 2 x 850 VA), with a total of 4 power supplies for positive and negative power currents, separate for input & driver stage and power stage
- high damping factor (not a publicized figure, but Thomas Gessler was kind enough to find it out for me)
- 1.800 bei 10 kHz
- 10.000 bei 100 Hz

That number means the Humboldt can drive pretty much anything. For comparison, the Classé Delta Monos I was also interested in have a damping factor of 850. So, the specs are pretty much all right.

Paid my dues today, and am going now to suffer until the month’s end until I will take delivery of the 61 Kg baby.

Going back to an integrated, imagine that. A $55K one though.

The stated frequency response can't be correct.

The stated frequency response can't be correct.

I do think that is indeed correct.

17d1a090baf427a123fddbef96065a6a.jpg

Similarly, Soulution frequency response is 0-800 MHz at -3 db (and the values vary a bit for AC and DC).

They are both so called high frequency designs.

Your original post said the frequency response cut off at 700 Hz. The new chart you just posted says 700,000 Hz.

in europe the "." and "," are reversed in numbers. so the stated frequency range in the audionet spec screenshot is:

0,00 - 700.000,00 Hz (-3db) ... ie: 0 - 70 kHz (-3db)

let's just say there is no high end roll-off in the humbolt ;)

in europe the "." and "," are reversed in numbers. so the stated frequency range in the audionet spec screenshot is:

Which is why I said something was wrong.

Thanks, that’s correct. The numbering convention is different [emoji3].

And yes, no rolling off the high frequencies here...

Pairing with the Lansches will be interesting, with the super-tweeter capability of the Corona up to 150 kHz.

Your original post said the frequency response cut off at 700 Hz. The new chart you just posted says 700,000 Hz.

You are correct, I omitted the kilo. Now added.

wow miika, how cool is that!
welcome to todays most thrilling amplification;)

what color did you go for? the black would certainly look killer with your black brinkmanns.

Congrats on the Humboldt.

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions.

Thanks, very kind.

While there’s nothing wrong with my current system, I need to do a change to experience something new once in a while.

But I’m really excited to hear the Humboldt soon in my own system. I’ll definitely post my impressions.

how cool is that!
welcome to todays most thrilling amplification;)

what color did you go for? the black would certainly look killer with your black brinkmanns.

Thanks, I definitely agree. The tech is fabulous.

I stuck with silver, as that’s the way Esslinger intended it, and it shows the features better. This product design is a statement. But I bet black looks awesome as well.

Back