HD Streaming vs Turntable And Vinyl

Does a TT actually sound "better" than HD streaming? I would think seriously about getting a TT and phono amp but I'd have to start completely from scratch. I have no vinyl and haven't had for 15+ years. I have very narrow tastes in music...bluegrass, swing, and bop jazz. I have a lifetime subscription with Roon and a superb sounding high end audio system (see my signature). So I'm not sure I'd be gaining much investing in a TT and phono amp.

I'm also not sure I could find enough vinyl that I like to make the investment worth it. Especially vinyl that's in good condition and still sounds good without the snap, crackle, pop, found on aged vinyl. Maybe I'd be better off just sticking with HD streaming? I'd like to have the very best sound I can. And if a TT would give me a significant increase in sound quality over HD streaming I'd probably be interested. But, as mentioned above, there are practicalities to consider.

What are your thoughts on this? Would I be better off putting my money in something else or would a TT be worth the additional investment?

If you are starting completely from scratch especially in terms of media I would stay in the lane you are in. I kept all of my vinyl and even bought a couple of hundred new releases and reissues plus I have all the equipment needed to play and clean the 2500+ LP's when I feel like it which gets less all the time. If I had to start over again I would stick with my CD's and streaming. I grew up with vinyl and have owned and played it for over 50 years and it sounds "different." Better has been a subject of debate on forums for decades and there is no definitive answer. It's all personal opinion.

I felt the same way about jumping back into vinyl after getting rid of my collection back in the day. I felt, and still do feel that digital is great and I still use my PC Server/DAC often, mainly with headphones or when I am not in the mood to fuss with albums.

With that said I did end up jumping back in and do truly love my new vinyl. I can't say one is better than the other but they are different.

I really enjoy vinyl with my new change in direction in speakers. You can get a fantastic vinyl setup without going too crazy. Of course then there are albums... My collection is up to 135 in less than a year...

Invest in a good power conditioner first. You probably don’t want to hear this, but looking at your signature, that’s what I’d do next. The gear you have deserve good power.

I never got rid of my vinyl or CD's. This is just my personal opinion, the experiences for me with vinyl over streaming is that I can set down and relax with vinyl while holding the cover in my hands reading the details of the music and the artist that made the music. This just gets me further into the music. I always felt that streaming which I do like with my lumin is just that, you set it and forget it which to me causes me to lose some interest, while jumping ahead past songs you don't like. Is one better than the other, I say it all depends on the material the music is own and how it is presented (system, room and taste) and the mastering of the music.

Does a TT actually sound "better" than HD streaming? I would think seriously about getting a TT and phono amp but I'd have to start completely from scratch. I have no vinyl and haven't had for 15+ years. I have very narrow tastes in music...bluegrass, swing, and bop jazz. I have a lifetime subscription with Roon and a superb sounding high end audio system (see my signature). So I'm not sure I'd be gaining much investing in a TT and phono amp.

I'm also not sure I could find enough vinyl that I like to make the investment worth it. Especially vinyl that's in good condition and still sounds good without the snap, crackle, pop, found on aged vinyl. Maybe I'd be better off just sticking with HD streaming? I'd like to have the very best sound I can. And if a TT would give me a significant increase in sound quality over HD streaming I'd probably be interested. But, as mentioned above, there are practicalities to consider.

What are your thoughts on this? Would I be better off putting my money in something else or would a TT be worth the additional investment?

Since you have only put about 200 hours on your system since you purchased it, I wouldn't invest money in an analog rig at this juncture. If you had a collection of LPs to start with, I might feel differently. With the little time you get to spend listening to your system, I would stick with your digital rig.

I have been playing records & LP's for nearly 50 years, kept my LP's during the CD age. My analog rig sounds good, I enjoy it when I play it but if just having to start from scratch I don't think I'd do it. There are some diehard analog users but I think the convenience factor keeps many from listening to LP's more. We have to admit, if doing it properly, caring, there's a lot that goes into just playing an LP.

At 71 I am pure digital. While I had turntables in the 70s and early 80s, I was glad when CDs were invented. For me, very few records were worth listening to from start to finish, and I ruined many an album trying to move the needle to a good song. Now with the Lumin I get High-Res downloads from HDTacks, create playlists with thousands of songs, and play them with random shuffle. Life is good.

It all depends on what you’re listening to and how it was originally recorded. If it’s pre-80’s, I prefer vinyl. Tape to vinyl without any A2D. If it’s recorded digitally, I tend to stick with digital for those albums.

My finding is that most A2D converters used by studios are very poor and add artificial characteristics to the music. So if it’s available in a tape ——> vinyl, that’s my preference and definitely sounds better to my ears. Removing that nasty A2D process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you are starting completely from scratch especially in terms of media I would stay in the lane you are in. I kept all of my vinyl and even bought a couple of hundred new releases and reissues plus I have all the equipment needed to play and clean the 2500+ LP's when I feel like it which gets less all the time. If I had to start over again I would stick with my CD's and streaming. I grew up with vinyl and have owned and played it for over 50 years and it sounds "different." Better has been a subject of debate on forums for decades and there is no definitive answer. It's all personal opinion.

Jack nailed it, nothing more need be said ..........

A turntable technically sounds worse than a digital setup, but subjectively sounds better to some people. To approach something of equivalent quality (different but of the same level), I generally think you need to spend many times more on an analog setup compared to a digital setup.

I agree with the other posters that since you recently upgraded your setup that you should give it a while, and only scratch the analog itch if you really feel like you want to have something different (not better, just different) to listen to and you have the funds allocated to invest in it.

If you own a very good tt-setup it‘s hart to beat it. Vinyl is like 30 Bit recordings. There are only few recordings with 30 Bit resolution.

Just my opinion.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I think he was speaking figuratively.

I enjoy both, depends on mood. Right now I am enjoying the hell out of my digital. Earlier I enjoyed the hell out of my vinyl. So many pros and cons.

I would say if I am trying to get the absolute best out of my system I pick out an album, but sometimes I am not in the mood to mess with it so I select a digital album and think, how can I do better than this :).

It all depends on what you’re listening to and how it was originally recorded. If it’s pre-80’s, I prefer vinyl. Tape to vinyl without any A2D. If it’s recorded digitally, I tend to stick with digital for those albums.

My finding is that most A2D converters used by studios are very poor and add artificial characteristics to the music. So if it’s available in a tape ——> vinyl, that’s my preference and definitely sounds better to my ears. Removing that nasty A2D process.

Is there a place we can go to determine if a recording is analog or digital?

Is there a place we can go to determine if a recording is analog or digital?

No single place that I’m aware of. However, you can safely assume everything before 1980 is analog. You then also have to do your research on sites like discogs, acoustic sounds, mofi, elusive disc, etc. Read album reviews and more. Fremer is diligent about this kind of research on the albums he reviews.

What becomes tricky is then ensuring the pressing to vinyl is from the tapes and not the digital files. Again, those sites above often tell the source in the description.

Here’s an example:

John Coltrane-A Love Supreme-180 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

Many of the turntable advocates play records for the nostalgic experience. The tactile feel of holding the record, placing it on the table, reading the LP cover, watching it spin, etc., etc. For them, it’s not just the sound but the pleasure they get from physically playing records. I know because I used to be one of those guys, but now I’m all digital. To each their own.

an issue i have been pondering for a while -- 2+ years at this point. here, is my $0.02 for someone like myself without an existing LP collection...

if and only if you are at an end-game state with the rest of your system then it makes sense to consider adding an analog source. otherwise, one might be happier getting their existing system to a higher level of performance.

in terms of an analog source, the decision revolves around 1) whether one wants to add a "different" sound to the mix and/or 2) whether one would find ongoing value in the much more tactile nature of analog. also, one must come to the subjective determination that these benefits outweigh the very significant expense of good analog.

can't remember who here said this but its seems an apt analogy: "digital is like cracking open a beer, analog is like mixing a martini"

as always YMMV ...and, my thoughts on the subject might change this afternoon ;)

Many of the turntable advocates play records for the nostalgic experience. The tactile feel of holding the record, placing it on the table, reading the LP cover, watching it spin, etc., etc. For them, it’s not just the sound but the pleasure they get from physically playing records. I know because I used to be one of those guys, but now I’m all digital. To each their own.

I sill am, but I'm 67 why change enjoyable habits LOL

Back