Compact Disc Codes

UltraFast69

Many of my discs early on had letter designators, and I don’t see that any more.

Any reason?

Any preference?

AAD - analog recording, analog mixing, digital transfer;
ADD - analog recording, digital mixing, digital transfer, and;
DDD - digital recording, digital mixing, digital transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, AAA. [emoji56]

Don’t know why they don’t put the codes on anymore. There’s a lot of unknowns today especially for re-releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought with digital ADD stood for Attention Deficit Disorder??
You know, the irrepressible urges to hit random, shuffle play, skip tracks, etc
:)

Not sure why they stopped that labeling practice. I judge with my ears anyway. If it sounds good, couldn't care less what preceded.

They are called SPARS Codes, but I cannot find anything as to why/when they are used or not.

My money goes on Marketing to Audiophile Types :)

Of course it would have been much more fair to the consumers if they labeled them

DRC and LM. “Dynamic range compressed” and “Loudness Mastered”. ;)

Of course it would have been much more fair to the consumers if they labeled them

DRC and LM. “Dynamic range compressed” and “Loudness Mastered”. ;)

That’s one feature I like about Roon. It tells you the dynamic range.

Hopefully now that the digital streaming age is upon us and there is no need to dupe the consumer into buying a CD that sounds “louder”, therefore “better” at the expense of dynamic range, we can put that nightmare behind us.

Hopefully now that the digital streaming age is upon us and there is no need to dupe the consumer into buying a CD that sounds “louder”, therefore “better” at the expense of dynamic range, we can put that nightmare behind us.

Let’s hope so! We finally have some great A2D converters. Let’s not wreck it with compression and loudness wars.

With all the “academic” flaws and limitations of analog, like R2R, cassette tape and vinyl, I would much prefer to listen to any of them vs a compact disc with castrated dynamic range and crushed peaks. My ears can listen through the limitations and “forgive” with analog but listening to DRC/LM digital on a high end system is no better than a root canal at the dentist.

Unfortunately that only applies to CD's on our network and not streamed Tidal releases. That means about 90% of my recent adds do not show the information.

How can you find out what the SPARS code is for a recording? I prefer to purchase digital versions of digital recordings and analog versions of analog recordings.

Back