Why do dealers not post prices of merchandise?

I find this very frustrating. To find the prices of some items you have to go on a research field trip bigger than what's required for a PhD dissertation. It can be a massive PIA to find some prices. I get it that it's supposed to make you pick up your phone and call the dealer. But that doesn't make it any less irritating. OK, I feel better now.

Because the manufacturers won’t allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find me one dealer - one - posting ARC prices on their website.

Are we down to one brand Mike? Some dealers do list the MSRP of the lines they carry on their website. You can start with Upscale Audio.

Well, I’ve been told it’s not allowed. I will definitely find out.

The fact they are doing it, doesn’t mean it’s permitted. I’m going to confirm. I guess I’m too much of a rule follower!

Well, it turns out, the rules have indeed changed. I stand corrected. Last year it was not permitted, this year it is for some manufacturers. Good to see the change!

The fact they are doing it, doesn’t mean it’s permitted. I’m going to confirm. I guess I’m too much of a rule follower!

Well, you asked me to find one...

Seriously, it makes no sense to me that manufacturer's would not allow the listing of the MSRP of their gear. That genie is long out of the bottle. Sale prices I understand, MSRP not so much. Prices of gear are everywhere which is why I didn't understand the OP.

Well, you asked me to find one...

Seriously, it makes no sense to me that manufacturer's would not allow the listing of the MSRP of their gear. That genie is long out of the bottle. Sale prices I understand, MSRP not so much. Prices of gear are everywhere which is why I didn't understand the OP.

Mark, ARC only changed the policy in November 2018. I missed the memo (but have it now).

Well, not every manufacturer allows it. IMO, it seems like the audio industry is the last industry entering the age of the internet. For most, e-commerce is a big no-no. I have some interesting thoughts around this whole topic, but it's better to discuss over a beer.

i know its a touchy subject - but realistically, do dealers even discount that much? i'm asking as a genuine question because up here in nyc dealers are loathe to discount anything. no need to name names just wondering if this is part of the nyc experience or a general thing

Mark, ARC only changed the policy in November 2018. I missed the memo (but have it now).

Well, not every manufacturer allows it. IMO, it seems like the audio industry is the last industry entering the age of the internet. For most, e-commerce is a big no-no. I have some interesting thoughts around this whole topic, but it's better to discuss over a beer.

Mike-All I was trying to say is that the MSRP of audio gear can be found in many different places. It's no secret and nor should it be. I''m always happy to sit down and have a beer though.

i know its a touchy subject - but realistically, do dealers even discount that much? i'm asking as a genuine question because up here in nyc dealers are loathe to discount anything. no need to name names just wondering if this is part of the nyc experience or a general thing

Some manufacturers strictly prohibit discounting. Others realize the legalities and leave it up to the dealers to determine.

Mike-All I was trying to say is that the MSRP of audio gear can be found in many different places. It's no secret and nor should it be. I''m always happy to sit down and have a beer though.

I think if discounting is a major concern for some manufacturers. E-commerce with strict MAP pricing, will actually, in my opinion, help their goals, not hurt it. But this is ultimately a decision each manufacturer must make.

In an age of buying cars from vending machines, amazon and the like, where someone can buying anything at any time from any where, the industry is going to be forced into the world of e-commerce in my opinion.

The argument against it is that audio components must not be seen as mere "commodities", but rather luxury items requiring personal service. I can't argue with this, but it's definitely a fine line with such few and few B&M dealers.

My comment would be: if we are a manufacturer of hybrid tube/ss amps and we say, "no posting prices, no selling online, no selling outside your territory!", and four of our hybrid tube/ss amp competitors say to their dealers "sell online, sell wherever", are we not fighting with one arm behind our backs? The problem is that I may see myself as superior to my competitors feeling that we have better products and can therefore implement such rules, but I'm not sure in reality, the market really sees it that way.

I have a particular example where a customer called and wanted to move to tubes. I was not allowed to sell him brand A due to territorial restrictions which I honor, so I sold him brand B. Does that make sense if I'm brand A? Brand B was very happy to get the sale I must tell you.

If people don't buy a BMW the way they want, they will just buy an Audi, Mercedes or a Porsche. That's my point. But BMW may feel that they just have such a superior product they can implement such rules. The market, IMO, doesn't see it that way.

Back