LS50 and Mac 2301

Audioguru1

I decided to try out a new combination: I moved the KEF LS50 that were previously sitting in my study bookshelf, and installed them on stands in my reference system paired with my Mcintosh MC2301 Tube monoblock amplifiers. The result? All I can say is WOW...this is a killer combination. The first thing that struck me was the deep and massive sound-stage, along with pinpoint imaging. Beautiful coherence from these speakers. Even though the LS50 are rated at 8 ohms nominal impedance, I decided to use the 4 ohm output taps of the 2301's in the hopes of getting a bit more extension and articulation from the bottom end. Well...using the 4ohm taps did not disappoint! I hate to say this, but this is the truth...in my room, and to my ears, the huge and impressive sound-stage, coherence and imaging, natural sounding dynamics, and even the upper bass region of the LS50 easily beat the WA Yvette's that I had in this space previously. As I'm sure everyone here already knows, these speakers are hands-down one of the best values available today in the audiophile market. I have no doubt KEF could get way with charging way more $ for these speakers. Kudos to KEF for offering such astonishing performance at a reasonable price point.

Attachments

• KEF LS50.jpg
    KEF LS50.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 101
That’s great. The LS50 are wonderful little speakers that just need a little juice to open up and shine. I’m glad you tried it. You never know about a combo until you try it. We can’t assume anything in this hobby.

Are those MC1.2KW amps that I spy as well? Oh boy, you got me going crazy on both tubes and solid state.

Audioguru1,

You need the 3-piece/channel Mcintosh monos to really make the LS50s shine.:lol:

You are lucky to have a large area. I bet most LS50s are in an area too small to let them open up and strut their stuff.

Joe - I basically have 2 amp/speaker combo's running in my reference system. Combo A was originally the MC2301's with the WA Yvette (now the KEF LS50 which sound better than the Yvette!!). Combo B are the MC1.2KWs paired with the ML Summit X. I call it "beauty and the beast". :D

audiophil - the stands are very old and from a company called Cambridge Audio.

That is great. I know the LS50 were amazing little speakers when I had a pair. Fantastic imaging. I believe the KEF does not disappoint!

LS50 better than Yvette? Although I'm a Magico owner, having heard both LS50 and Yvette numerous times, this definitely is not my impression.

kzhtoo,

Have you been able to a/b them in the same room, back to back, with the same source material, and the same room acoustics? Being an owner of both speakers has allowed me to do extensive listening. Everyone's ears are different. To my ears, the Kef LS50 beat the Yvette with better coherence, imaging (improved depth of the sound-stage and placement of instruments/voices), and more natural sounding vocals...the mid-range just shines with the LS50s.

I actually owned the LS50s and had custom made stands for them from Sound Anchors. I was running them with a Krell KSA-250 at the time. Yes, they do sound real good. Yes, they sound better with a powerful amp. No, despite what people say they don't have much in the way of a true bottom end, but then how could they? They are cool though and are more suited to smaller rooms.

kzhtoo,

Have you been able to a/b them in the same room, back to back, with the same source material, and the same room acoustics? Being an owner of both speakers has allowed me to do extensive listening. Everyone's ears are different. To my ears, the Kef LS50 beat the Yvette with better coherence, imaging (improved depth of the sound-stage and placement of instruments/voices), and more natural sounding vocals...the mid-range just shines with the LS50s.

No, I have not. But then again, so are 90+% of people commenting on audio component comparisons on online forums.

This whole thing is a bit puzzling to me. If you prefer LS50 over Yvette for whatever reason, I do not have anything against it. But IMO it's just physically impossible for LS50 to "beat" Yvette in the area of scale, soundstage, bottom-end (which I regard as foundation of music), etc.

kzhtoo,

On the wheels, well outside the zone of neutrality is hardly a real comparison.

Your pics are very telling.

Joe - I basically have 2 amp/speaker combo's running in my reference system. Combo A was originally the MC2301's with the WA Yvette (now the KEF LS50 which sound better than the Yvette!!). Combo B are the MC1.2KWs paired with the ML Summit X. I call it "beauty and the beast". :D

audiophil - the stands are very old and from a company called Cambridge Audio.

I hope you were using the 2 ohm tap of the 2301 on that Yvette, highly doubtful an LS50 beats the Yvette .....

metaphacts, we all have different ears, we all have different room constraints, and we are all free to setup our systems and speaker placement as we best see fit. Due to your affiliation with Wilson, I can understand why you are stressing the importance of the "zone of neutrality" and I do respect your opinion. Yes my pics are telling because they show exactly how I have my system setup. Do a quick google picture search and you will find many rooms (with both Wilson and Kef speaker alike) that are setup far from the ideal "zone of neutrality", because we all have various room constraints and personal preferences.

metaphacts, we all have different ears, we all have different room constraints, and we are all free to setup our systems and speaker placement as we best see fit. Due to your affiliation with Wilson, I can understand why you are stressing the importance of the "zone of neutrality" and I do respect your opinion. Yes my pics are telling because they show exactly how I have my system setup. Do a quick google picture search and you will find many rooms (with both Wilson and Kef speaker alike) that are setup far from the ideal "zone of neutrality", because we all have various room constraints and personal preferences.

The "zones of neutrality" vary by room and are very easy to find in a given room. It is simply a description of the area that defines where the speaker has an opportunity to perform free from the most debilitating room interactions.

Putting the speaker outside that zone and and leaving it sitting on wheels will tell you nothing significant about what Yvettes can or can't do.

I am honestly not surprised. Everyone's ears and rooms are different of course, but I have heard several people say similar things about the LS50. I know when I had a pair they were a very nice speaker. I found that a little sub helped them quiet a bit. A friend is going to be grabbing my KEF Kube sub to boost his LS50's a little. His room is rather lively so I am thinking it should help him a bit.

I admit to being KEF biased, however I have talked to several people who have all been amazed at the little LS 50's :)...

"Different ears" are the harbor of those not willing to properly set up (or learn set up, or have someone competent set up) a system.

Once properly set up, pick whatever you like. You decide. Tell us what you think. Pay your money and take your choice.

Improper set up has nothing to do with ears. It's just nonsense. Any conclusions based on improper set up are misleading at best.

The room doesn't lie. Abuse positioning at your own risk.

As always, ymmv.

Back