Dave Wilson's WAMM Master Chronosonic Loudspeaker Reaches For The Heavens

• Thread starter Thread starter mauidan
  • Start date Start date
M

mauidan

http://www.analogplanet.com/content...udspeaker-reaches-heavens#SMXw8GfBlIpG522X.97

Great video tour of WA.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1216MEWAMM.jpg
    1216MEWAMM.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 230
Last edited by a moderator:
its interesting to note how much labor is involved (lottsa man hours) from the point the cabinets are prepped for the gelcoat stage onward. its mainly all for cosmetic reasons.

its interesting to note how much labor is involved (lottsa man hours) from the point the cabinets are prepped for the gelcoat stage onward. its mainly all for cosmetic reasons.

So Wilson Audio should deliver a LaFerrari in primer? Hardly. Your LaFerrari should be finished as well as your Wilsons.

Balance is important. Authentic Excellence is important - in all aspects.

Wilson Audio ceased to be a garage kit car 30 years ago. If that is wrong, so be it.

Now we're comparing Wilson speakers to Ferraris. I guess when they named it the "Chronosonic" it was to confuse potential Patek Philippe buyers too :)

We are comparing finish qualities to Ferraris. No more, no less. Customers do and there is no confusion.

As for Master Chronosonic, any Patek Philippe owner knows that refers to a speaker not a watch.

I appreciate the time and effort WA puts into the finish of their cabinets.

If you watched the video, you can see that same care goes into all phases of the production of their speakers.

I look forward to MF's review of the Alexx.

Thanks for posting ,

Nominal Impedance: 3 ohms / minimum 1.77 ohms @ 310 Hz

Sensitivity: 90 dB @ 1W @ 1m @ 315Hz
Frequency Response: 20 Hz*—33 kHz +/- 2 dB
Minimum Amplification Power Recommended: 100 watts/channel

Based on these preliminary specs its going to take a solid muscle amp to drive the WAMM , expect sensitivity to be less than 90db , since WA choose not to give it at the typical center frequency value of 1K ..

No Big deal , at the necessary budget required to play with one, I'm sure there's a Boulder amp capable of chugging it along without issue ...

Regards

Thanks for posting ,

Based on these preliminary specs its going to take a solid muscle amp to drive the WAMM , expect sensitivity to be less than 90db , since WA choose not to give it at the typical center frequency value of 1K ..

No Big deal , at the necessary budget required to play with one, I'm sure there's a Boulder amp capable of chugging it along without issue ...

Regards

Many amps were used in the 5 year development. Multiple amps have been used in demonstrations, but never a Boulder..yet.

Certainly someone will want to hear WAMM that way at some point. If experience is any indicator.
there are quite a number of great amps out there not yet tried - and not necessarily having mammoth power output - that will pair beautifully.

Yeah ,

Im sure there are many very capable amps out there which can drive the Wamms out of them , my good friend Morricab may even suggest an SET or 2..

:)

What we now need is a good SOTA speaker shootout ,can there be one king or is that King dead ..

I appreciate the time and effort WA puts into the finish of their cabinets.

If you watched the video, you can see that same care goes into all phases of the production of their speakers.

I look forward to MF's review of the Alexx.

The Build quality is impeccable and second to none , the effort required to not only build but repeat and support such a speaker is what makes companies like WA special..

Yeah ,

Im sure there are many very capable amps out there which can drive the Wamms out of them , my good friend Morricab may even suggest an SET or 2..

:)

What we now need is a good SOTA speaker shootout ,can there be one king or is that King dead ..

No SETs but certainly there have been some wonderful experiences with tubes.

I noticed the exact same thing - a 3ohm speaker with dips to 1.7 isn't amp friendly at all. Since a lot of X2 owners use Lamms and such, this is one disappointing aspect. My guess is the sheer number of drivers and complexity drive the requirements up.

I noticed the exact same thing - a 3ohm speaker with dips to 1.7 isn't amp friendly at all. Since a lot of X2 owners use Lamms and such, this is one disappointing aspect. My guess is the sheer number of drivers and complexity drive the requirements up.

You purchase a speaker you like then get amps that work well with them. If you like the speakers then you'll find amps that get the most from them.

You purchase a speaker you like then get amps that work well with them. If you like the speakers then you'll find amps that get the most from them.

Sure, but when purchasing a speaker you figure out requirements that you prefer in any speaker - one of mine is efficiency and therefore, amp flexibility.

I guess hard to see a Trios owner going for WAMMs though anyways.

Back