Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    N. VA
    Posts
    392

    PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Anyone have experience with the PS Audio PowerPlant 15? I got an offer from PS Audio to get one at a discount. Don't have ANY power conditioning in the house which is 2 years old in a new development. So all really new power infrastructure and not a lot of users of the local grid since I live in a relatively low population area; it's really sparse here. I say so because i've heard arguments in support of such things for people who live in big cities on old power infrastructure.

    Bottom line: does it help sound quality any? Is it worth the $$?
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    272

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    I have owned several PS audio power plant models over the past 20 years. Regadless of the location, they always improved my sound - blacker background, more detail, more relaxed trebles. To be fair, I have to say I ultimately replaced all of them with Shunyata conditioners (most recently the Everest 8000) because the did the job better with less complexity. In any case, power conditioning regardless of vendor, always made a positive difference.

    Cicy
    Wadax Reference DAC and Server
    Block Audio Line Stage and PreAmp
    Woo Audio WA33 Elite Headphone Amp
    Viva Egoista STX Headphone Amp
    Transparent Opus Gen6 XLR interconnects
    Shunyata Sigma QR-s power cords
    Shunyata Everest power conditioner
    Audeze, Abyss, HiFiman and Stax headphones

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Doesn't PS Audio have a 30 day obligation free return policy?
    Not much point in us telling you what we think of their products in our homes, just buy one and try it in your home and if you don't like it return it.
    Speakers: Magico M3,ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.4
    and Rack 1.1 amp stands (pair) | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere

    On order: Shunyata Research Everest.
    On sale: Everything!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Quote Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
    Anyone have experience with the PS Audio PowerPlant 15? I got an offer from PS Audio to get one at a discount. Don't have ANY power conditioning in the house which is 2 years old in a new development. So all really new power infrastructure and not a lot of users of the local grid since I live in a relatively low population area; it's really sparse here. I say so because i've heard arguments in support of such things for people who live in big cities on old power infrastructure.

    Bottom line: does it help sound quality any? Is it worth the $$?
    Yes! 100% I own a P20 that’s about 2 years old, before that I had a P5 that was ~5 years old. They are a no brainer. Nothing comes close, except Shunyata. Which is better depends on your system and preferences.
    My P5 and P20 have been flawless.

    Don’t listen to some members here - they spew baseless BS and don’t actually own a unit. (This forum is very much Shunyata biased, FYI. Shunyata is great, I own 2 Denalis and a bunch of their cables…).

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    1,072

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    I have been using a P15 for many years with flawless production of PS Audio regenerated AC power. I cannot comment on any subjective SQ analysis. It is large and heavy and a pain in the ass to insert into an audio rack.
    Marty

    Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post

    Don’t listen to some members here - they spew baseless BS and don’t actually own a unit. (This forum is very much Shunyata biased, FYI. Shunyata is great, I own 2 Denalis and a bunch of their cables…).
    At risk of repeating myself.....I've owned 10 PS Audio power plants. They all broke down, every one of them (note:they were all repaired under warranty). Plus I've owned two PS Audio DAC's and the Directstream memory player and NONE of them worked properly. In my opinion, based on my vast owner experience, PS Audio products are junk. I also own a Shunyata Denali. My electric projection screen, which weighs about 35kg, fell recently 2.4m from the ceiling and landed flush on top of my Denali and knocked it off its wall mount. The screen is stuffed but the Denali survived unscathed. It's built like a main battle tank.

    But to answer the question, I **think*** PS Audio still offer an obligation free 30 day home trial. It doesn't matter what anyone here says about sound quality improvements when using one of these products because it is system dependent. I say, buy one and try it at home. If you like it, keep it. If not, send it back.
    Speakers: Magico M3,ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.4
    and Rack 1.1 amp stands (pair) | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere

    On order: Shunyata Research Everest.
    On sale: Everything!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    1,072

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Maybe Paul needs to redesign his power supplies to work on voltages other than US 120v. Everything I have ever owned from PS Audio has worked flawlessly but I am also based in the USA with 120v AC.

    Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    At risk of repeating myself.....I've owned 10 PS Audio power plants. They all broke down, every one of them (note:they were all repaired under warranty). Plus I've owned two PS Audio DAC's and the Directstream memory player and NONE of them worked properly. In my opinion, based on my vast owner experience, PS Audio products are junk. I also own a Shunyata Denali. My electric projection screen, which weighs about 35kg, fell recently 2.4m from the ceiling and landed flush on top of my Denali and knocked it off its wall mount. The screen is stuffed but the Denali survived unscathed. It's built like a main battle tank.

    But to answer the question, I **think*** PS Audio still offer an obligation free 30 day home trial. It doesn't matter what anyone here says about sound quality improvements when using one of these products because it is system dependent. I say, buy one and try it at home. If you like it, keep it. If not, send it back.
    Marty

    Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Neutral Zone
    Posts
    436

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Sometimes power regeneration solves a problem that does not exist. In home trial with several iterations of conditioner IN/OUT is the only way to tell in your specific situation.
    Tom

    Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

    Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

    Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

    OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Near Philadelphia
    Posts
    111

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Agree, every situation is different. A/B comparisons at home may be more complicated for some types of conditioners if you don't check first to make sure the output voltage of the unit under test is the same as the wall receptacle voltage.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agree, every situation is different. A/B comparisons at home may be more complicated for some types of conditioners if you don't check first to make sure the output voltage of the unit under test is the same as the wall receptacle voltage.
    That's not quite right, no such test is necessary. I think you haven't understood the intent of that suggestion. When you adjust the output to match the input the regenerator has to do less work, resulting in slightly lower output distortion. Maybe go from 0.1% with matched voltage input/output to 0.2%. No big deal really. But if the input voltage is 250V (in 230V land), and you set output to match (aiming to achieve a very small distortion improvement), that is just silly. Set the output to 230V and accept 0.2% THD. 250V at 0.1% THD is not very nice for some connected components.
    Speakers: Magico M3,ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.4
    and Rack 1.1 amp stands (pair) | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere

    On order: Shunyata Research Everest.
    On sale: Everything!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Near Philadelphia
    Posts
    111

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Think what you want. The output voltages on some power conditioners is higher by design. The result is louder output volume. On such an A/B comparison, there is a well-known perceptual auditory bias for louder output.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    456

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    While the maximum volume may be a few dBs louder, the input to output gain will remain the same.
    Also some power conditioners may have problems with big amps playing near max volume.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: PS Audio PowerPlant 15

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    While the maximum volume may be a few dBs louder, the input to output gain will remain the same.
    Also some power conditioners may have problems with big amps playing near max volume.
    Huh? My local electricity supply typically is in the range 215-241V. The output is always 230V. input to output gain is always changing because the input is always changing whilst the output is steady. Not sure about the maximum volume comment. What my power regenerator does has no bearing on volume.
    Speakers: Magico M3,ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.4
    and Rack 1.1 amp stands (pair) | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere

    On order: Shunyata Research Everest.
    On sale: Everything!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

PS Audio PowerPlant 15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •