Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43
  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    With about 75 hours on the OPPO + after market power cords, it's sounding a lot better now.

    Compared to the UD9004, it is clearly better. Compared to the Weiss (via memory), it is smoother, less "hard." Dynamic range, detail, and imaging is still a notch below the Weiss. But it will only get better after I get some NOS tubes, fuse, and footers. I will also give everything 500hrs before making a final impression.
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento
    Crystal Cable Absolute Dream, Dreamline Plus
    Furutech GTX-D NCF (R), GTX Wall Plate, 104-D

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    i found the Ken-Rad VT-231 to sound quite neutral, but very microphonic in the oppo. Sophia too.
    The Sylvania 6sn7 from VTS was neutral too, with very little to no microphonics. rated "MC" by Andy. my fave so far.
    RCA short bottle had very little microphonics and sounded a little warmer.
    VanAlstine humdinger DC eliminator
    Silver circle pure power 5.0 conditioner w/ dreamcatcher PC
    Wadia 8 transport
    Naim NDX streamer
    PS Audio directstream DAC
    Vinnie Rossi DHT Preamp
    Zenwave power cables
    Cerious GM interconnects
    Atma S-30 mk3.3 amp
    Acoustic Zen Adagio
    REL 305 subs (2)

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    west Michigan
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    Concerning the 6SN7 family of tubes, I have consistently found that a 6F8G (the grandfather of the family) with an adapter out performs the newer smaller bottle "GT"s. More dimensional, larger soundstage and depth. VT-99's are the military version of 6F8G's and have been graded and checked to be of a higher quality by the manufacturer.
    It is claimed by some that adapters degrade the sound. In relation to this tube substitution, I have not noticed any negative effects only MUCH MUCH better sonics.
    CAUTION: Only try this if you are looking to take this piece of gear to the next level.
    You have been warned.
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, Lumin A-1, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Pass XA30.5 , Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, Kaplan Power cables, Hydra power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    Concerning the 6SN7 family of tubes, I have consistently found that a 6F8G (the grandfather of the family) with an adapter out performs the newer smaller bottle "GT"s. More dimensional, larger soundstage and depth. VT-99's are the military version of 6F8G's and have been graded and checked to be of a higher quality by the manufacturer.
    It is claimed by some that adapters degrade the sound. In relation to this tube substitution, I have not noticed any negative effects only MUCH MUCH better sonics.
    CAUTION: Only try this if you are looking to take this piece of gear to the next level.
    You have been warned.
    Do you feel this is specific to the Oppo, or any 6SN7 application? There a a few recent preamp and amp designs that use the 6SN7 (Cary, Atma-sphere, etc); if the 6F8G were really a better tube I would think those designers would have spec'd it, and without an adaptor. The same argument could be made for Modwright; why not start with that tube if it is better?
    Rob
    __________________________

    Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
    Pass Labs INT60
    Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
    REL S3
    Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
    Torus IS5

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Do you feel this is specific to the Oppo, or any 6SN7 application? There a a few recent preamp and amp designs that use the 6SN7 (Cary, Atma-sphere, etc); if the 6F8G were really a better tube I would think those designers would have spec'd it, and without an adaptor. The same argument could be made for Modwright; why not start with that tube if it is better?
    Most companies that design and build tube gear with aspirations of having lots of sales and keeping a stock of tubes for their customers are not going to design with tubes that have been out of production for years and are only available on the secondary markets like FeePay. The 6SN7/6SL7 family of tubes were a very common tube that were used around the world and they are still in production. The simple answer is you shouldn't design a new product to use tubes that aren't in current production if you want to stay in business. If you can't buy and grade tubes in large quantities, you can't support your product.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    west Michigan
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Most companies that design and build tube gear with aspirations of having lots of sales and keeping a stock of tubes for their customers are not going to design with tubes that have been out of production for years and are only available on the secondary markets like FeePay. The 6SN7/6SL7 family of tubes were a very common tube that were used around the world and they are still in production. The simple answer is you shouldn't design a new product to use tubes that aren't in current production if you want to stay in business. If you can't buy and grade tubes in large quantities, you can't support your product.
    Well said. The 6F8G is a very old tube and their numbers are limited.
    While I have not heard this tube as a sub in an OPPO, I have heard it in numerous other pieces of equipment all with the same astonishing results.
    As with all things audio YMMV.
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, Lumin A-1, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Pass XA30.5 , Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, Kaplan Power cables, Hydra power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    If I could still buy real Mullard EL-34 tubes in quantities and they were tested and matched, I would probably still have my Quicksilver MS-190 with the triode input boards. Mike Sanders designed the MS-190 to run with real Mullard EL-34s as he was running those tubes hard at the maximum plate dissipation rating (25 watts). You are never supposed to design a piece of gear and run the parts at their maximum ratings. It's a recipe for a short life. The real Mullards could take it without breaking a sweat plus they sound great which is why Mike chose them, but modern EL-34s can't take the punishment.

    Michael Elliott enlisted Roger Modjeski to design an OTL for Counterpoint called the SA-4. It used the 6LF6 tubes which are out of production and no longer available in quantities to keep these amps running with matched tubes. Owners now pretty much have boat anchors.

    The bottom line is that if you are a tube roller and you have a stash of rare tubes and have hit on a great combination for your preamp, amp, phono stage, or DAC, that's great. Just don't wonder why the designer isn't using your magic combination in normal production.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    Well said. The 6F8G is a very old tube and their numbers are limited.
    While I have not heard this tube as a sub in an OPPO, I have heard it in numerous other pieces of equipment all with the same astonishing results.
    As with all things audio YMMV.
    I know at least one person who preferred the 6F8G with adapter for his Oppo, David Minches
    Rob
    __________________________

    Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
    Pass Labs INT60
    Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
    REL S3
    Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
    Torus IS5

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    I know at least one person who preferred the 6F8G with adapter for his Oppo, David Minches
    Maybe you should give it a try Rob.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Modwright OPPO 105 tube rolling

    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Maybe you should give it a try Rob.
    Except that neither matched pairs nor adaptors appear to be available from the dealers where I look for tubes, which means dealing with Sleazebay, and I'm not sure how much I want to gamble there.
    Rob
    __________________________

    Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
    Pass Labs INT60
    Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
    REL S3
    Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
    Torus IS5

 

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast