Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 85 of 85
  1. #51
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    25

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    I heard Meta Blades sometime in the future (maybe 2022) along with a price increase when that happens.

  2. #52

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by HifiHandyman View Post
    I heard Meta Blades sometime in the future (maybe 2022) along with a price increase when that happens.
    I think this is inevitable. KEF will "Trickle Up" the Meta technology from the LS50 to the Blades and then to the Reference line.

    That said, the current models are an incredible value and anticipate the Blade/Blade 2 Meta to take it further just as the LS50 Meta was massively improved over the LS50.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    The original ls50's didn't address the backwave from the driver until meta was introduced. The drivers in the blades already address the backwave by venting the magnet into the cabinet. Unless I totally misunderstood what I've read about the speakers, meta would be redundant. KEF Blade - Uni-Q® driver array - YouTube

    What do you guys think?
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    The original ls50's didn't address the backwave from the driver until meta was introduced. The drivers in the blades already address the backwave by venting the magnet into the cabinet. Unless I totally misunderstood what I've read about the speakers, meta would be redundant. KEF Blade - Uni-Q® driver array - YouTube

    What do you guys think?
    Well, yes and no. Yes the Blades do deal with the backwave, but more in an all frequencies are the same method (sorry if that sounds confusing ), while the Meta is a large improvement of that concept. The Meta has many channels, for lack of a better term, and I forget what KEF calls it. However, the concept is that these channels are tuned to various frequencies and do a much better job of eliminating the backwave over a much larger bandwidth. The Meta can eliminate virtually all of the backwave which was not previously possible. It is a newly developed technology, or least let's call it an improvement of what they were doing in the Blades.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    411

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    KEF Metamaterial Absorption Technology (Full Version) - YouTube
    An explanation of MAT technology.

    Venting a tweeter to the same enclosure as a mid or woofer would be really bad.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

    2 Channel: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, Manley Mahi Monoblocks, DIY SEOS Waveguide/Dipole Bass Towers
    HT: Marantz AV7005, Wyred 4 MMC5, DIY SEOS Towers, DIY 7CF Sealed 18" Subs
    PC: Wyred 4 Sound mINT, KEF Q100, Hifiman HE-6

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    KEF Metamaterial Absorption Technology (Full Version) - YouTube
    An explanation of MAT technology.

    Venting a tweeter to the same enclosure as a mid or woofer would be really bad.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, they haven't been doing that.
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    This is one of the things that I have always loved about KEF. They seem to always be pushing the pinnacle of new technology. While other companies tend to develop new technologies to put in their ultra-expensive new fangle model, KEF develops new technology to improve on speakers that people can afford and still be able to pay their bills.

    KEF has done this since day one back in 1961. Developing new and improved technologies and using these in speakers that normal people can afford!

    META is certainly a great example. This tech could have been introduced in new Blades or Reference lines but instead they decided to show the capability in a flagship model that is also affordable.

    Uni-core is another technology recently introduced! This has allowed them to build an incredibly small subwoofer with two powered drivers shared single magnet system and using their force cancelling technology. Add 1000 watts of power, aluminum casing and more and they have developed the perfect matching subwoofer system for the Metas...

    These new tech developments have allowed for true top notch floor standing performance in small easy to live with speakers! Perfect for what I want in a speaker and once again confirms why I have been a huge fan of KEF for so long!
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by HifiHandyman View Post
    Well, no one I know cares even in the slightest, so I thought I would tell you wonderful people. I have a new pair of Blades in frosted black on the way! I can’t believe it. I’m boxing up the Magnepans and putting them in storage. I’ve never seen or heard a pair of Blades in person, but you know what? I can’t wait to get them set up. I tried to buy a pair of used Wilson Yvette, but that deal did not work out, so hello Blades. I’ll keep you posted!
    Congrats!!! Have your new babies arrived yet?
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    try this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    From early july 2021, the ceiling has been replaced since, but I really struggle with pics on this site, so.
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    It looks like that ceiling would be a challenge. The Blades are looking mighty nice though .
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  12. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    ceiling tiles over sheetrock lasted 15 years and no longer necessary. I moved my mom in with us and am overwhelmed with stuff, but hope to have my room back by summer.
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Dang, going without your room has to be difficult. Those Blades would be sitting there haunting me. I would at least setup a headphone listen station somewhere .
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  14. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    I still listen solo, it's just that more of the room has been allocated to storage than I would have. When things get back to normal i'll post a better looking pic.
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  15. #65
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    25

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    My new Blades have arrived! What a beautiful speaker and the Wife says they fit the space better than the Magnepans. Tomorrow I will play with placement and install the spikes. My next day off will be Dirac calibration day. So far, so good!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    That is fantastic! Congratulations!
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    329

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    > My new Blades have arrived! What a beautiful speaker and the Wife says they fit the space better than the Magnepans. Tomorrow I will play with placement and install the spikes. My next day off will be Dirac calibration day. So far, so good!

    Great looking speakers. Try setting them up such that they don't need Dirac. I've used 3 room correction systems including Dirac that are built into full-range amps and have always found a slight loss of excitement factor when the Dirac, RP or MARS filter is engaged. Lots of time needed to experiment with placement, toe-in, maybe tilt, etc until you get to the position that Dirac hinders rather than helps with ultimate sound quality. That's the rewarding part of buying exceptional speakers.
    Sources - NAD M50.2 (streamer, CD player, CD ripper, hard drive music store)
    Amplification - NAD M33, NAD M12, Consonance Cyber 845 monoblocs (now sold)
    Speakers - Avantgarde Duo XD, Avantgarde Duo (2006) - both aesthetically modified, Martin Logan Expression 13A (now sold)

  18. #68

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Love the pics.

    Also noticed the Ducati Lego model?

    Do you ride?

  19. #69
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    25

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Thanks Hear Here. That’s great advice. I will see what I can do with and without Dirac. Part of me thinks it may be time for a tube preamp. I’m considering BAT and Modwright as options.

    mdp632, I’ve been riding all my life. My current bike is a Triumph Tiger 800XCx dual-sport that I really love. I have a trip planned in September to Ecuador for a guided tour where you rent the bike from them. My bike before this was a Speed Triple, and that was just intoxicating every time I rode it. There’s a long list of previous bikes before that.

    I had no time to listen yesterday, so I’m excited to get home today and dive right in.

  20. #70

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Great speakers. It was neck and neck for me between the Blade 2's or the Vivid Giya 3's. I loved the look of the Blades and they were my top choice(loved the narrow point source),but was concerned about my 11.5*13.5*8 room, especially after Atkinsons review. Found a great price on the Vivids, and have been thrilled. So much emotion, chills, and need to look up moments. They both blend well in smaller room with their narrow, tapered profile. Both extract the best bass performance by putting the drivers 180 degrees with back wave attenuation. The Giya's even have suspension in their stock spikes. For this reason I put off trying the Gaia feet by Isotech, what a mistake. The bass is so much delineated(Tommy Stinson has never been more vivid), deeper, and it's like a cloud of thickness over the sound was removed. Amazing. Highly recommend to try them on your blades, I feel like they may have made them work in a smaller room, they are stellar. At least your Blades won't look like penguins. Worth it for the performance.

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    odds are the blade 2's would be big for your 11x13' room and imagine how conventional a pair of reference 3's would look (and sound?) in that spot. The first time I saw the G3 I thought of the alien opera singer on 'The Fifth Element'.
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by HifiHandyman View Post
    My new Blades have arrived! What a beautiful speaker and the Wife says they fit the space better than the Magnepans. Tomorrow I will play with placement and install the spikes. My next day off will be Dirac calibration day. So far, so good!
    Hiya, one very small thought. I had Rythmik subwoofers with my Magnepan's, maybe even the same models that are in your photos. They were wonderful subs and worked fantastic with the Maggies. However, when I got my Meta's I decided to try the small matching KEF subs, the KC62's. They are tiny so it is hard to believe how good they are. My thoughts, if you are going to continue using the subs with your Blade's it might be worth considering KEF subs, even the tiny KC62's or something larger like the KC-92's or even the Reference sub.... don't let the size fool you, the KC62's work amazing, and dare I say a ton better than the Rythmik's when syncing with KEF speakers.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  23. #73
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    25

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Man, I tell you what, the Blades are just awesome. I’m running them full range with no subs and no room correction and they just sound magnificent. Great controlled bass and imaging. I’ve been playing them non stop. Placement seems to be best with no toe-in but I’m still trying very small changes. The bass goes very very deep but just shy of 20hz.

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    That is great... they look awesome! Have to admit being a bit jealous even though they would not fit my room ... congratulations for sure!
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  25. #75
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    25

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    I just can’t believe the quality and quantity of the bass I’m getting. It’s God-like the deep bass that’s coming out. I put my subs in storage. I am getting a clean 20hz tone no problem. It took some work, but the imaging is really great also. I remember the first time I heard a pair of Wilson Cubs and the imaging blew me away. That’s what I’m getting and my room is very far from ideal. They continue to sound better and better.

  26. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    My room responds to speakers with side firing woofers, but i'm sure having 4x9 per box doesn't hurt
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  27. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    329

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by HifiHandyman View Post
    I just can’t believe the quality and quantity of the bass I’m getting. I put my subs in storage. I am getting a clean 20hz tone no problem.
    Best place for subs! Always better to have good full range floor standers in my opinion. Greart that the Blades are up to (exceeding) expectation - well done. KEF have always made good speakers, I had a pair of Reference 107/2 decides ago, another great speaker in its day.
    Sources - NAD M50.2 (streamer, CD player, CD ripper, hard drive music store)
    Amplification - NAD M33, NAD M12, Consonance Cyber 845 monoblocs (now sold)
    Speakers - Avantgarde Duo XD, Avantgarde Duo (2006) - both aesthetically modified, Martin Logan Expression 13A (now sold)

  28. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    I had my blades on usam on and off since the announcement of the blade meta and there is somebody coming to check them out Saturday and I just changed my mind. Does that make me a dick? In the price range I’ve heard most and for my asking price I don’t see anything out there that interests me so I think I’m set. There’s no such thing as too much power. Going from the h360 to the h590 really tightened up the presentation, another difference I wasn’t aware of until the change
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  29. #79

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    So why havent you moved into the Metas? I just received my 802D4’s but Im keeping my open Blade Meta order.

  30. #80

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    There are a pair of Blades for sale near me (the bigger ones) that I'm interested in. My biggest concern is besides the price is my room big enough? My room is 16' x 25' and has sound absorption and diffusion panels in it. Thanks, John

  31. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    My room is 17x27x7 and I have them along the short wall about 5' out centered 8' apart. With the hegel h360 the bass was a little heavy, but when I put the h590 in the bass tightened up and sounds pretty good. Somebody's coming to listen today and I'll relay his impressions.

  32. #82

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Thanks for the info Steve59. Is that 5' to the back of the speaker or the front? My speakers sit 6' from the front wall to the front of the speaker. My speakers are on the short wall about 100" apart center of speaker and 46" from center of speaker to wall, my ceiling is 9' high. The rest of the system is a Hegel H30, Accustic Arts tube 2 preamp and a Linn Lp 12 source. I can't demo these speakers in my room.

  33. #83
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    22

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by johni b View Post
    Thanks for the info Steve59. Is that 5' to the back of the speaker or the front? My speakers sit 6' from the front wall to the front of the speaker. My speakers are on the short wall about 100" apart center of speaker and 46" from center of speaker to wall, my ceiling is 9' high. The rest of the system is a Hegel H30, Accustic Arts tube 2 preamp and a Linn Lp 12 source. I can't demo these speakers in my room.
    I spoke with KEF UK on placement and they said the Blades need a minimum of 9 inches from the front wall. They can be pushed even further back in some rooms. The Reference line needs 1 foot.

    I have a room that is 15 x 22 x 25. With a LONG wall placement I have 7 feet on the left speaker to the side wall and 5 feet on the right speaker to the side wall. However, the right side wall is a partial wall and opens up to the Family room. The 25+ feet of height in my room is very helpful.

    I moved my Thiel CS3.7's in to the room and used the KRELL Duo 175XD amp to drive them. The sound was surprisingly good even with the Thiel just 1 foot from the front wall. It was the best I have ever heard the Thiel. So good that I knew the Blade 2 META will also work in this room. I sold the Thiel the next day (in 1 day) and now gathering pennies for the Blade 2 META.

    I am going back and forth on amps to use with my Benchmark LA4 preamp (I also have a CODA 07x preamp but do not plan to use with the Blades).

    - Benchmark AHB2 monos with my best speaker cable which can ONLY be used with the AHB2 due to SpeakON termination (Audience FrontRow)
    - KRELL Dou 175 XD

    - KRELL KSA 400i (this upcoming amp should be a sonically killer amp, but it is likely physically too big for the room)
    - CODA #16 (I owned and sold the CODA #8, I heard the #16 with the 07x preamp)
    - Rotel Mitchi M8 mono (massive power and very quiet amps)

    I already have the AHB2 and KRELL 175XD so I will try those first. I heard the Hegel H30 with Blades and the Rotel should be just like them at 1/2 the price.

  34. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    491

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    In my avatar you see 2 big black speakers that are currently parked behind the blades, thus the 5' between port and front wall. Normally my speakers sit 4-5' from the front of the speaker to the wall behind them. and when I decide which i'll be keeping it'll give me more room to tweak. The wall that's within 3' of the right speaker has acoustic treatment and the left side is over 5' from any reflecting surface leaving the blades 8' give or take a few inches. I would love your impressions of the H30 and if you ever heard the 590 in comparison?
    KEF Blade, Hegel h590, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

  35. #85
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    22

    Re: Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    In my avatar you see 2 big black speakers that are currently parked behind the blades, thus the 5' between port and front wall. Normally my speakers sit 4-5' from the front of the speaker to the wall behind them. and when I decide which i'll be keeping it'll give me more room to tweak. The wall that's within 3' of the right speaker has acoustic treatment and the left side is over 5' from any reflecting surface leaving the blades 8' give or take a few inches. I would love your impressions of the H30 and if you ever heard the 590 in comparison?
    I have not heard the Hegel 590 but have heard the 360 and the H30.

    The H30 with the Blade 1 was very exciting and powerful. I still remember the Deep Purple that was cranking away on that system. It was not as super smooth as my KRELL 175XD nor the CODDA #16. I have not heard the Mitchi M8 mono but the Mitchi X3 integrated amp that I heard is supposed to have the same tone as the Mithci M8 monos. The X3 was slightly grainier than the KRELL and CODA I reference. I also felt the H30 was slightly grainy. This is a matter of minor degree.

    Immediately after I listened to the Blade and H30 I went to another room at this show and heard the Vivid GIya Spirit (top of the line) with Luxman m900u (I think it was monos). These amps were not as authoritative as the H30 but they were smoother. In retrospect I think the H30 would be preferred over the Luxman with the Blades. The KRELL and CODA are more powerful than the Luxman.

    Stereophile has a review of the Mitchi M8's and reading that review reminded me of my listening experience with the H30 and Blade 1.

    When I heard the Blade and Vivid at this show I thought both rooms were great. Large and spacious. One was a conference room with all the furniture cleared out.

    If you are interested in the Hegel H30 I would first try a Rotel Mitchi M8 from the TMRaudio.com and use their 60 day return window. The amps are half the price of the H30 and likely as good or better. The power of the H30 and M8 are almost identical, massive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •