Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,953

    Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Since moving to the new house, I have not been using my headphones much, however I do miss listening to the Abyss. I felt what was built into the McIntosh as a headphone section is simply not good enough for the Abyss. I did not want to sink a ton into a new amp; therefore I have been doing a ton of research. The Schiit kept coming up and has been receiving very high praise in several reviews. A couple even specifically used the Abyss Diana Phi which are the set I own. It was said that it was an excellent match.

    I also love that Schiit wrote this on their website: "The Best $2400 Headphone Amp—For $400". So I decided to give them a try.

    The amp arrived yesterday, and I am sure it will have some break in period of time. However so far I am fairly blown away. I have previously had some good decent amps; the Dragon Inspire IHA-1, the Simaudio 430HA, the Bryston BHA-1, the Woo WA22, the Headamp GS-X Mini, etc. My memory may be deceiving me, but I would say the Schiit holds its own against any of these. My Abyss have never sounded so good!

    Here are a few (fairly bad) quick pictures of my room.
    Stereo (284).JPGStereo (285).JPGStereo (286).JPGStereo (287).JPG
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Mjolnir 3 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    3,121

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Whoo is said to be the benchmark, if you are happy with the Schiit that is saying something.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    2,066

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    very nice Randy ! Have Dorthy and Toto stopped by for a listen yet ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Neutral Zone
    Posts
    568

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Jason Stoddard and Mike Moffat are both outstanding audio designers. Among the very best. I’m glad they teamed up and decided to do what they do. Everything I’ve purchased from them performs well above its price point. I never hesitate to recommend their products.
    Tom

    Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

    Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

    Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

    OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,473

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Quote Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
    Jason Stoddard and Mike Moffat are both outstanding audio designers. Among the very best. I’m glad they teamed up and decided to do what they do. Everything I’ve purchased from them performs well above its price point. I never hesitate to recommend their products.
    Yes, they are. 👍

    Could not agree more. I have their Valhalla 2 tube headphone amp...at one point I plugged it into my main system to function as the preamplifer, and was fairly shocked how competitive it was, sonically, with my C-J CT-5 preamplifier.

    They also made a DSD-only DAC, the original Loki, that sold for $179 back in the 2011-2012 time-frame, IIRC, and I used to use it for streaming DSD files from back when you could buy DSD-only recordings from Chad Kassem's Super Hi-Res online store that was part of Acoustic Sounds. The little Loki was a really impressive DAC.

    They also made this product for a spell called the Wyrd (pronounced "weird") that was a "USB-decrapifier" because Mike Moffat was, for a long time, NOT a fan of USB as an audio interface specification. You would plug the Wyrd in between your music source computer and your USB DAC, and it would "de-crapify" the data. It really worked well and made an notable improvement to the audio quality. I used to use one with my Loki or my original Bifrost DAC.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,473

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Since moving to the new house, I have not been using my headphones much, however I do miss listening to the Abyss. I felt what was built into the McIntosh as a headphone section is simply not good enough for the Abyss. I did not want to sink a ton into a new amp; therefore I have been doing a ton of research. The Schiit kept coming up and has been receiving very high praise in several reviews. A couple even specifically used the Abyss Diana Phi which are the set I own. It was said that it was an excellent match.

    I also love that Schiit wrote this on their website: "The Best $2400 Headphone Amp—For $400". So I decided to give them a try.

    The amp arrived yesterday, and I am sure it will have some break in period of time. However so far I am fairly blown away. I have previously had some good decent amps; the Dragon Inspire IHA-1, the Simaudio 430HA, the Bryston BHA-1, the Woo WA22, the Headamp GX-X Mini, etc. My memory may be deceiving me, but I would say the Schiit holds its own against any of these. My Abyss have never sounded so good!
    Having owned and used a number of Schiit Audio's products over the years, none of this surprises me at all. Their products are consistently amongst the strongest value props in the audio industry.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    very nice Randy ! Have Dorthy and Toto stopped by for a listen yet ?
    I hear that Dorthy is coming by next week... not sure if she will bring Toto too...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Mjolnir 3 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    649

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Based on your positive comments and a bit of follow-on research, I’ve ordered a Midgard. Been looking for an excuse to order something from Schiit as I like their style.

    And now unfortunately I’m looking side-eyed at the Lyr +, which I may like to try out.

    If I really like the Midgard, when bonus time comes I may try the Mjolnir 3.
    Main System

    Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

    Headphones

    Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,473

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    Based on your positive comments and a bit of follow-on research, I’ve ordered a Midgard. Been looking for an excuse to order something from Schiit as I like their style.

    And now unfortunately I’m looking side-eyed at the Lyr +, which I may like to try out.

    If I really like the Midgard, when bonus time comes I may try the Mjolnir 3.
    Let us know what you think, J, when you get it. I've really been impressed with their products over the years. I still have the first product I ever bought from them, my Valhalla 2 tube headphone amp/preamp. All the products I've bought from them over the years, including my Bifrost, Loki gen 1 DSD-only DAC, Wyrd, and Gungnir MB DAC have been really excellent and provide superb performance/dollar.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    Based on your positive comments and a bit of follow-on research, I’ve ordered a Midgard. Been looking for an excuse to order something from Schiit as I like their style.

    And now unfortunately I’m looking side-eyed at the Lyr +, which I may like to try out.

    If I really like the Midgard, when bonus time comes I may try the Mjolnir 3.
    I hope you enjoy it. My biggest issue with the Lyr+ is that it is single ended only. I will not consider a headphone amp that is not fully balanced at this point in time.

    I was considering the Midgard but decided on the Jotunheim 2 because it is a fully discrete, truly balanced headphone amp. I also liked the Alps RK27114 potentiometer and that the parts are truly matched. Stuff you simply do not find at this price level.

    I am seriously considering the Mjolnir 3 myself. Getting my sick baby Bengal healed is taking up all my funds for now though... but later on.....
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Mjolnir 3 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    649

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    At this point have both the Midgard and Lyr+. Both sound great but probably will keep the Lyr+ for now, unless I decide on a Mj3 later. I like that I can do a bit of tube rolling and love the remote. Both are surprisingly good particularly for the $.

    You read a lot these amps can’t push HPs like AB1266 or Susvara but to me they sound great. Granted I don’t have a real frame of reference - other than knowing what I like to hear based on years of 2-channel endeavoring - and I’m sure higher amps will sound even better, maybe far better. But I have no complaints at the moment at all. Plenty of volume, clarity, and all the usual things we look for, with both amps.
    Main System

    Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

    Headphones

    Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: Schiit Jotunheim 2

    Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    At this point have both the Midgard and Lyr+. Both sound great but probably will keep the Lyr+ for now, unless I decide on a Mj3 later. I like that I can do a bit of tube rolling and love the remote. Both are surprisingly good particularly for the $.

    You read a lot these amps can’t push HPs like AB1266 or Susvara but to me they sound great. Granted I don’t have a real frame of reference - other than knowing what I like to hear based on years of 2-channel endeavoring - and I’m sure higher amps will sound even better, maybe far better. But I have no complaints at the moment at all. Plenty of volume, clarity, and all the usual things we look for, with both amps.
    This is my point. It all comes down to what works best for each of our needs and desires. When I give opinions, it is purely based on my wants and desires. I do try to give my reasoning for why I give certain views, both pros and cons. I also love having a remote. It makes it so much more enjoyable. Since I am running my headphone amp off the McIntosh pre-amp the Mc remote does the trick. I usually set the headphone amp's volume control to a level so I have the Mc at the range I am comfortable with when listening to speakers. This is more or less for consistency on my part. The Schiit (and honestly most of the others such as the most recent one, the HeadAmp GS-X Mini) I keep the potentiometer at about the one o'clock position and then use the pre-amp to adjust my listening level.

    You definitely have a couple of very very serious set of headphones there. Do you have a preference of the Abyss or the HiFiMAN? Those two are what I would consider the two best on market! It is fantastic that the Schiit can power these to satisfactory levels. It says a lot about Schiit. I am amazed at how good my Abyss Diana Phi sound with my Schiit, and I have used them with most of the other amps that I have mentioned.

    There is definitely a point about tube amps and tube rolling. I did get into some serious rolling with the Woo WA22 when I had it. But it felt like I was going down a huge rabbit hole and spending more time rolling tubes then enjoying the amp. Again, there is certainly nothing wrong with that.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Mjolnir 3 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Schiit Jotunheim 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •