Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    New amp incoming

    I was using the Bryston BHA-1, which is a fantastic amplifier! My buddy and I have switch it back and forth a couple times. Not too long ago he had to move in with his mother to assist her with major health concerns. He could not bring his system from his house so he was going to mainly use headphones while there. I was not using headphones much at the time so I got the Bryston back to him .

    While lately I have been using my headphones more. Off the T+A is very good but I wanted both the improved SQ and convenience of a separate better amp. Talking with the guys at Abyss and they recommended the HeadAmp GS-X Mini as a really great amp and a great match for the Abyss headphones. So I have one being built for me now ...

    They offer several colors but I am just getting the Polished Black.
    HeadAmp-GS-X-mini-Polished-Black_2000x.jpg
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,031

    Re: New amp incoming

    Congratulations Randy. Looks cool.
    Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Job INTegrated.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Misho Myronov Wooden preamp.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (x 2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    697

    Re: New amp incoming

    Randy that looks beautiful. And Abyss - wow! Congrats.
    Sincerely,

    Calvin

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Palm Coast, FL 'The Hammock'
    Posts
    4,433

    Re: New amp incoming

    Enjoy !

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Randy that looks beautiful. And Abyss - wow! Congrats.
    Thank you, hmmm... if I recall you have a pretty nice headphone setup yourself Calvin!
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    697

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Thank you, hmmm... if I recall you have a pretty nice headphone setup yourself Calvin!
    I have Focal Utopias with a Pass HPA-1. At this high in the game none of them are bad ... more like different flavors. And the Abyss is delicious ...
    Sincerely,

    Calvin

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Yea, I knew you had the Pass and Focal. Good Stuff! I do love the Abyss Diana Phi's, they also work great with my portable!

    A tad disappointed with HeadAmp at this point. It has been 8 days now and they took the money out of PayPal yesterday so I thought they must be starting to build it now. Justin (owner and designer) told me that they took the money out because they only have 7 days to do that.

    The parts they are waiting for are not in yet but he e-mailed the supplier this morning to see what the status is. I appreciate his being honest with me in the chat, however I am still not happy about that their website still says will be delivered in 3-5 days and also states that this item is in stock. It is clearly not in stock when they are waiting on a major part and can not even build the amp at this point.

    I wish their website was honest about this and did not clearly state that the amp would be delivered (not shipped but delivered) in 3-5 days and states that it is in stock. My expectations would be better in check.
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    697

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Yea, I knew you had the Pass and Focal. Good Stuff! I do love the Abyss Diana Phi's, they also work great with my portable!

    A tad disappointed with HeadAmp at this point. It has been 8 days now and they took the money out of PayPal yesterday so I thought they must be starting to build it now. Justin (owner and designer) told me that they took the money out because they only have 7 days to do that.

    The parts they are waiting for are not in yet but he e-mailed the supplier this morning to see what the status is. I appreciate his being honest with me in the chat, however I am still not happy about that their website still says will be delivered in 3-5 days and also states that this item is in stock. It is clearly not in stock when they are waiting on a major part and can not even build the amp at this point.

    I wish their website was honest about this and did not clearly state that the amp would be delivered (not shipped but delivered) in 3-5 days and states that it is in stock. My expectations would be better in check.
    That’s not a good business model. I won’t be happy either. Sorry Randy ...
    Sincerely,

    Calvin

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    That’s not a good business model. I won’t be happy either. Sorry Randy ...
    Well it is supposed to be worth the wait, but dam... I thought I would have it right away, not a few weeks later....
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    61

    Re: New amp incoming

    I am still going for a new amp from my great audio designer in The Netherlands, A marvelous 400 Watt per channel, T class, liquid cooling (invention from Sony) and build with the best compartments there are on the market, expected arrival time in a few months

    This would be really awesome, cannot wait for it. Story will be continued soon...

    by the way: very great amplifier Randy, well done!
    speakers: Bach He2S
    stands: isoacoustics aperta
    amplifier: Bach 400W Tripoth class T with liquid cooling arriving soon,
    streamer: Sonore Ultra Rendu with Bach lineair powersupply 6 Volts 1 Ampere
    Usb dac need to be upgraded soon, at the moment an audioquest cobalt, looking for a high end dac
    network filter: audioquest niagara 1200
    Running Roon Rock on an intel 6i5 Nuc
    network audioswitches: 2 times a Bonn Linn d8, powered by the Bonn Linn Forester , on the second switch the network cable to the streamer

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Cool, sounds like that will be a great speakers amp. I currently use a Bel Canto and a classic McIntosh that I switch depending on mood. Of course the amp I am talking about here is a headphone amp. 400 wpc with headphones would make me death very quickly .... 2-4 watts is a lot in a headphone amp...
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    667

    Re: New amp incoming

    I have the Bryston HPA 1. Good amp I recommend.
    Set-up 7.2.6
    Amp: Mark Levinson 533, 2- Parasound 52+
    Video: JVC 990, Panasonic DB9000, StudioTek 130
    Processor: Marantz 8805
    Speakers: Wilson Alexia, Wilson Mezzo, 4 Wilson Watch, 6 Dynaudio 600 in-ceiling
    Subs: 2 JL F113
    Power: Torus Wam 100
    Wires: Transparent Reference for the front three, the rest Audio Quest FLX/DB 16/4 In wall speaker cable
    Other: Primacoustic -Max trap and Full trap, Vicoustic -Wavewood and Cinema rounds. IsoAcoustic GAIA 1

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Palm Coast, FL 'The Hammock'
    Posts
    4,433

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I have the Bryston HPA 1. Good amp I recommend.
    Well I couple of things here, Bryston doesn't make a HPA 1,its a BHA-1.. PASS LABS makes the HPA-1 and yes its awesome when I tried it, but way outside my budget. So I picked up a used BHA-1.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Bryston does indeed make a great amp!

    I got sick of the mis-information and misleading advertisement with HeadAmp ... so I cancelled my order. I came across a deal on a brand new SimAudio which is a state of the art headphone amp... so I bought it ....

    430HA Headphone Audio Amplifier | High End Amp | MOON - Simaudio

    430HA_Black_1370x590.png
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Palm Coast, FL 'The Hammock'
    Posts
    4,433

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Bryston does indeed make a great amp!

    I got sick of the mis-information and misleading advertisement with HeadAmp ... so I cancelled my order. I came across a deal on a brand new SimAudio which is a state of the art headphone amp... so I bought it ....

    430HA Headphone Audio Amplifier | High End Amp | MOON - Simaudio

    430HA_Black_1370x590.png
    Groovy Randy !

    If ya want to try an amp that is nice, and cool looking, SPL Phonitor X , drives anything

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Groovy Randy !

    If ya want to try an amp that is nice, and cool looking, SPL Phonitor X , drives anything
    I was looking at the Phonitor X. There are some used ones out there.

    The SimAudio is brand new. I spoke with the gentleman who is selling it (he actually is associated with SimAudio). He basically said that Moon pieces are built to last virtually forever but wanted to make sure I understood to not set it down on the face of the unit when unboxing. The deal we worked out, although higher than the HeadAmp price, was quite outstanding. The retail on this piece is $4500, so definitely a big step up from the GS-X Mini.

    The SimAudio also comes with a remote. Even though it is sitting closer to my seat than my system (on the side wall) I still like having remote because of how levels vary from album to album. I would put the T+A into variable output mode to use its remote, but I prefer not to. It also makes a very good backup pre-amp since it uses SimAudio's best volume and power supply system from their Evolution Series pre-amp.
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  17. #17
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    26,962

    Re: New amp incoming

    Congrats Randy! SimAudio builds a terrific piece of kit.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, EMM Labs, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    154

    Re: New amp incoming

    You don’t even want to know how long I waited for my HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition. Well worth the wait! Just be patient with Justin.
    Amp : DIY FirstWatt M2x mono amps
    Digital : Bricasti M12, Oppo 203
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, DIY K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp
    Speakers : Daedalus Audio Muse Studio
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    I was going to be patient... but I did get frustrated with the misinformation and the lack of communication. Who knows, I may try one sometime. Blue Hawaii Special Edition is supposed to be a great piece for electrostatic.

    The deal that I got on the SimAudio was simply to good to pass up. It is supposed to be one of the best SS balanced headphone amps out there. It will be here Friday according to the shipping notice I just received!
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    154

    Re: New amp incoming

    Oops, I see, you cancelled the order, sorry for missing that.

    Digital inputs too! Nice.
    Amp : DIY FirstWatt M2x mono amps
    Digital : Bricasti M12, Oppo 203
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, DIY K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp
    Speakers : Daedalus Audio Muse Studio
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    No worries.... I went back and forth a little and then stumbled on a deal from a guy associated with SimAudio. Arguably one of the best solid state headphone amps on the market. Looking forward to it .
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    66

    Re: New amp incoming

    Congrats Randy! The SimAudio looks very solid. Look like it has a built-in DAC, too.
    Jim

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Thank you. Really looking forward to it. I really enjoy listening to my Magnepan's, more often then not listening to vinyl with them. However I find headphones are used quite often for me. A completely different and very enjoyable experience.

    The DAC board is optional. The one I am getting does not have it. This is fine by me because my T+A DAC will be feeding it anyway. I prefer keeping the DAC separate. It also has the capability of hooking up my portable to the MP input on the front if I want another flavor since my Astell & Kern has two different DACs built in (flagship ESS, the new 9068, and the flagship AKM).

    The balanced outputs are under the slide panel on the front. Looks pretty cool. It is definitely an over the top unit.
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    I watch a video from the guys at Abyss who were disgusting various amps, pro and cons. They were giving each a rating based on use with Abyss headphones. They rated the SimAudio pretty high. They brought it down a tad because of its size versus other headphone amps (it is a full size component). They were talking about how they have had one in the QC department and use it ALOT. It has not been turned off in years and just keep going and going. The one guy said he beats on it testing things and it just shrugs him off and keeps going.

    The one thing they highly recommend was using a better external DAC. The internal optional DAC is average at best. One of the guys in the discussion said that with the internal DAC it was so so, but then he hooked up a good DAC and he was blown away... "what an amp!".

    All of them agreed the volume control and flexibility, along with build quality was as good as they have seen in a headphone amp. They all liked that it can be used as a top notch pre-amp also. One of the reviews I read put it on par with some of their evolution pre-amps, but with far less flexible hookups for a pre-amp (2x RCA, 1x XLR inputs, and a 4th 1/8" input on the front, and only 1x RCA pre-amp output).
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    My wife just sent me a picture of the box. The SimAuido has arrived. Can't wait to give it a go, although it definitely need some burn in time (they suggest 300 hours, however I have read people saying that it really settles in at about 200 hours).
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    66

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    My wife just sent me a picture of the box. The SimAuido has arrived. Can't wait to give it a go, although it definitely need some burn in time (they suggest 300 hours, however I have read people saying that it really settles in at about 200 hours).
    Awesome! It will be a busy weekend.

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    It should be fun. Love new gear, but I have really been looking forward to this guy arriving!
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    33

    Re: New amp incoming

    The 430HA is very nice.
    Can’t wait to see your feeling between the Simaudio and Bryston
    Simaudio Moon 600i v2 - Simaudio Neo 260D - Rega P8 Apheta2 - Modwright PH 9.0 - Elac Adante AF-61 - Bis Audio cables

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Well it will be a good long while before I can give an honest feeling on sound quality because SimAudio states it takes about 300 hours to break it in .

    Initial out of box impressions. The Moon is larger and a lot heavier. It wreaks of quality. The size does make it harder to place, like it barely fits on the stand I use for headphone amps. I like that it has a remote. I like that the balanced outputs are under the slide. Very classy. I also love the volume control. The Bryson got too loud too quickly on the control to the point that I would set the DAC on variable output to turn it down to be able to control better.

    One other huge difference is that the SimAudio has a lot more power than the Bryston. The Bryston is rated at 2 W at 32 Ω and the SimAudio is rated at 8 W at 50 Ω. The higher the impedance the lower the power rating, for example the Moon is rated at 1.33 W @ 300 Ω and 667 mW @ 600 Ω.

    The SimAudio volume control is a thing of beauty. Smooth, extreme fine tuning. Like 530 steps or something like that. A ton more control! All included accessories are of very high quality.

    Sound quality is great so far, it is excellent but too early to say. Seems smooth, on the warm side. I would call it almost tube like. Very very quite though, no noise what so ever.

    The feel of the amp is far higher then the Bryston, but I also remember the Bryston being very impressive.
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Question, SimAudio rates the amplifier at 667 mW @ 600Ω, 1.33 W @ 300Ω, and 8 W @ 50Ω. My Abyss are 32Ω therefore I am getting 8 W with my headphones. Is this correct?
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  31. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2

    Re: New amp incoming

    I purchased my GSX-mini in late 2019. It was in the first run of new production units. Rock solid headphone amp. Mine is in Satin Grey. Understand the frustration with the wait. Mine took around ten weeks to receive.

    Congrats on the new SimAudio. The GSX-mini is 4W@50 ohms. My HiFiMan HE6se makes the amp work some, everything else I have runs pretty easily.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Palm Coast, FL 'The Hammock'
    Posts
    4,433

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by rrwwss52 View Post
    I purchased my GSX-mini in late 2019. It was in the first run of new production units. Rock solid headphone amp. Mine is in Satin Grey. Understand the frustration with the wait. Mine took around ten weeks to receive.

    Congrats on the new SimAudio. The GSX-mini is 4W@50 ohms. My HiFiMan HE6se makes the amp work some, everything else I have runs pretty easily.
    The one I had on loan was in Polished Red. COOL Had the Bryston and the GSX at the house a the same time and kept the Bryston and sold my WOO WA6-SE .
    PassXa-30.5, W4S STP, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, HD650, HD800s, Dan Clark 1.1, OPPO 203, 105.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    The one I had on load was in Polished Red. COOL Had the Bryston and the GSX at the house a the same time and kept the Bryston and sold my WOO WA6-SE .
    Nice... I loved the Byston amp. I felt it was great. Always wondered how it compared to the GS-X Mini. Nice to know that you compared.

    My buddy has the Bryston now. Kind of funny, we traded it back and forth a few times depending who was using headphones the most at the time. This time he said he wanted to keep it so I decided to get another nice headphone amp.

    Was going to get a HeadAmp, but besides getting frustrated at the company (not just the time it took to get one, it was the miss information and bad communications), I came across a deal on the SimAudio. Arguably one of the best headphone amps available. The representative from the company (obviously biased) stated that it is the best headphone amp ever made. Not sure on that one, but it is darn good!
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Quote Originally Posted by rrwwss52 View Post
    I purchased my GSX-mini in late 2019. It was in the first run of new production units. Rock solid headphone amp. Mine is in Satin Grey. Understand the frustration with the wait. Mine took around ten weeks to receive.

    Congrats on the new SimAudio. The GSX-mini is 4W@50 ohms. My HiFiMan HE6se makes the amp work some, everything else I have runs pretty easily.
    Thank you, I am also very happy that you enjoy your HeadAmp. I have read nothing but good things about them. I actually could not find any specs on the unit or the manual even. I would have liked to know what its specs were, such as 4W @50 ohms. That would have been good to know since it is higher than many other amps. The SimAudio is one of the few I have seen with more (8W @50 ohm).
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    beautiful winter
    Posts
    632

    Re: New amp incoming

    congrats on that outstanding amp! i always say: the amp make the music.
    so how is going with the break in? do you leave it on day&night?

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: New amp incoming

    Nah, I just play it. I sounds wonderful and I believe it has smoothened out even more.
    Neil degrasse Tyson - "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

    Hattor "The Big", Tube Active Stage | T+A DAC 8 DSD | McIntosh MC754, MC7100 v2 | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Yellowbird | Technics SL1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | MOON by SimAudio NEO 430HA, NEO 310LP, 110LP v2 | Magnepan .7's | Rythmik L12 (2) | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Astell & Kern SE200 | Abyss Diana Phi | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    "You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts"

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New amp incoming

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •