What amp on Harbeth speakers ?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 147
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    Hello Harbeth owners .

    What kind of amp are you using on your lovely Harbeth speakers ?

    Especially with bigger brothers . ( M40.1 or SHL5)

    Please share
    Paul

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    16,731
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    Paul,

    In my opinion/experience, amps that are a little cleaner and are more open will drive the Harbeth better. The Hegel H30 on the 40.1 was superb with my GAT preamp. My ART monos absolutely killed on the 40.1. I loved my Pass XA60.5 on them too, but think the point 8 series Pass amps would be better. For very simple music, almost anything will do. My Job amps and Naim were wonderful on the 30.1. I think the Job monos on any Harbeth speaker will be awesome too. Power in the 50+ wpc range or more will be better too.

    I would love a pair of Super HL5+ and the new 40.2 now. I think the "new" Harbeth sound is more to my liking.
    Joe

    Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

    Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (X2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

    Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  3. Likes Paul liked this post
  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    Any competent amplifier will mate with Harbeths. I'm using a Spectral DMA260 on the M40.1. Prior to that I was using a Nagra SS stereo amp. The Harbeths will flesh out the differences in different house sounds of amplifiers.

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    16,731
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan31 View Post
    Any competent amplifier will mate with Harbeths. I'm using a Spectral DMA260 on the M40.1. Prior to that I was using a Nagra SS stereo amp. The Harbeths will flesh out the differences in different house sounds of amplifiers.
    Dan,

    I bet Spectral on Harbeth sounds amazingly great. That's a combo I need to hear.
    Joe

    Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

    Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (X2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

    Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    Thank you Joe and Dan.

    Anyone try the Bryston 28B SST2 with Harbeth ? Perhaps with tube pre ?
    Paul

  7. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    16,731
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thank you Joe and Dan.

    Anyone try the Bryston 28B SST2 with Harbeth ? Perhaps with tube pre ?
    I wish I had Harbeth now to try. I think it would be wonderful. I love my 28BSST2's very much.
    Joe

    Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

    Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (X2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

    Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  8. Thanks Paul thanked for this post
    Likes BruceLet liked this post
  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    I recently (two weeks) bought a pair of Harbeth Super HL5plus speakers for my living room system. These things are so musical, I love what I am hearing. Such a sweet sound….balanced, detailed and just so easy to listen to. Late night listening is exactly what I was looking for. I decided to go with the new Pass INT60 as my amplifier, but I have to wait for it to arrive. In the mean time, I am using an old Rega 60 watt integrated. It is doing just fine. My front end is a Lumin D1…..one of the great bargains of audio.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    I recently (two weeks) bought a pair of Harbeth Super HL5plus speakers for my living room system. These things are so musical, I love what I am hearing. Such a sweet sound….balanced, detailed and just so easy to listen to. Late night listening is exactly what I was looking for. I decided to go with the new Pass INT60 as my amplifier, but I have to wait for it to arrive. In the mean time, I am using an old Rega 60 watt integrated. It is doing just fine. My front end is a Lumin D1…..one of the great bargains of audio.
    Hi Bruce. Congrats on Harbeth. Indeed its one of most musical speakers out there.

    Quick question. Did you try the Dev400 with your SHL5 yet ? If so how is the sounds ?

    Thanks
    Paul

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Bruce. Congrats on Harbeth. Indeed its one of most musical speakers out there.

    Quick question. Did you try the Dev400 with your SHL5 yet ? If so how is the sounds ?

    Thanks
    Hello Paul, Never tried the Devialet with the Harbeths. My Devialet is gone. I loved it, but needed the funds for this second system and it wasn't getting used in the main system since I got my Lampizator.

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    Hello Paul, Never tried the Devialet with the Harbeths. My Devialet is gone. I loved it, but needed the funds for this second system and it wasn't getting used in the main system since I got my Lampizator.
    Thanks Bruce. Enjoy the Harbeth and please update with us how you like with Pass int amp.
    Paul

 

 
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast