Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    lachen / sz
    Posts
    690

    Re: Meitner MA-3 DAC

    unit is not damaged, the VC is made cheap. thats not a problem since everybody will use the remote control.
    ma3 driving the audionet heisenberg direct with rca has hum. thats a fact of that very own constellation. other set ups may work well and again, i got recommended to use xlr and to try grounding.
    by nature, one likes dac direct and one not.
    dont get me wrong, i do like the ma3 and would buy it again as it is.

  2. #52
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    27,279

    Re: Meitner MA-3 DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    unit is not damaged, the VC is made cheap. thats not a problem since everybody will use the remote control.
    ma3 driving the audionet heisenberg direct with rca has hum. thats a fact of that very own constellation. other set ups may work well and again, i got recommended to use xlr and to try grounding.
    by nature, one likes dac direct and one not.
    dont get me wrong, i do like the ma3 and would buy it again as it is.
    I’m sitting in front of mine right now and it’s not “wobbly” or cheap. The VC is made of metal and not plastic. Here’s a video:

    Meitner MA-3 Volume Control - YouTube


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    lachen / sz
    Posts
    690

    Re: Meitner MA-3 DAC

    coool, thx for the clip!!
    yours seem to be a bit tighter, difficult to see. mine is not really wobbling around, but i would say it shifts a millimiter. certainly doesnt feel like the knobs of the ultra high end machines.
    the clicks do not make a nice sound imho and if you turn the knob fast, it starts to scream.
    even yours, i could hear that in the video (listening with my ma3, lol).

  4. #54

    Re: Meitner MA-3 DAC

    Mike,

    Have you sold many of these? How does it stack up to your other offerings?

  5. #55
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    27,279

    Re: Meitner MA-3 DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    Mike,

    Have you sold many of these? How does it stack up to your other offerings?
    It’s currently flying under the radar. We use it almost exclusively in the front room, so it’s getting lots of exposure.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  6. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3

    Re: Meitner MA-3 DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It’s currently flying under the radar. We use it almost exclusively in the front room, so it’s getting lots of exposure.
    how would this ma3 stack up to Luxman D08-U?
    Thank you

  7. #57

    Re: Meitner MA-3 DAC

    What exactly are you trying to compare? One is a SACD player that allows you to connect an external digital source... so your adding a third variable. The other is a digital streamer and Dac that wont play CD’s.

  8. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3

    Re: Meitner MA-3 DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    What exactly are you trying to compare? One is a SACD player that allows you to connect an external digital source... so your adding a third variable. The other is a digital streamer and Dac that wont play CD’s.

    Sorry - let me be more explicit:
    DAC to DAC when used in USB mode- assume the D08u has an excellent streamer such as a Lumin U1;
    I am completely aware of the D08u's feature set; I do realize it is an SACD player; I understand that Mike has extensive experience with the D08u , as a Luxman dealer and knows the sonic performance characteristics of the D08u either in CD/SACD/ USB/Optical or other digital input modes; as well as filter setting options; Being an audio forum I was hoping Mike could weigh in on the subjective audio comparison between the D08u and the latest Meitner MA3; Both of these are digital to analog conversion devices and both of these can be engaged in USB mode; It is possible to compare the sonic qualities of such devices and coming from an expert such as Mike , his opinion carries significant weight.
    Thank you;

  9. #59
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    27,279

    Meitner MA-3 DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by dpac996 View Post
    Sorry - let me be more explicit:
    DAC to DAC when used in USB mode- assume the D08u has an excellent streamer such as a Lumin U1;
    I am completely aware of the D08u's feature set; I do realize it is an SACD player; I understand that Mike has extensive experience with the D08u , as a Luxman dealer and knows the sonic performance characteristics of the D08u either in CD/SACD/ USB/Optical or other digital input modes; as well as filter setting options; Being an audio forum I was hoping Mike could weigh in on the subjective audio comparison between the D08u and the latest Meitner MA3; Both of these are digital to analog conversion devices and both of these can be engaged in USB mode; It is possible to compare the sonic qualities of such devices and coming from an expert such as Mike , his opinion carries significant weight.
    Thank you;
    Thank you. I consider the D-08u very very “vinyl like”/analog, even more so than the new D-10x, which is excellent in its own right and offers some advantages over the D-08u. However, the D-08u via USB didn’t shine as much as the D-08u with CD/SACD. Perhaps when the D-08u was first designed, some of the knowledge we have today with respect to USB wasn’t developed or as well know . Just look at the Taiko USB card setting a new benchmark today. But it was still an excellent analog like performer even from its USB port.

    The MA3 is very good, smooth for a Meitner/EMM product, which tend to be more detailed and transparent and neutral. The MA3 is smooth, yet detailed. Will it fool you into thinking you’re listening to vinyl like the D-08u playing a CD/SACD? No. It is never the less enjoyable and never has bite. It’s also very capable as a Roon streamer, volume control, etc. as well.

    The reality is that these two devices don’t compete in the same space, price wise nor function wise. One is relatively new and one is now discontinued to boot.

    Which one would I buy? Neither. I would still pick the MSB Discrete at the $10k price point. NOTHING I’ve heard comes close. It even out analogs the D-08u (and that’s no small task).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  10. #60
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3

    Re: Meitner MA-3 DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thank you. I consider the D-08u very very “vinyl like”/analog, even more so than the new D-10x, which is excellent in its own right and offers some advantages over the D-08u. However, the D-08u via USB didn’t shine as much as the D-08u with CD/SACD. Perhaps when the D-08u was first designed, some of the knowledge we have today with respect to USB wasn’t developed or as well know . Just look at the Taiko USB card setting a new benchmark today. But it was still an excellent analog like performer even from its USB port.

    The MA3 is very good, smooth for a Meitner/EMM product, which tend to be more detailed and transparent and neutral. The MA3 is smooth, yet detailed. Will it fool you into thinking youÂ’re listening to vinyl like the D-08u playing a CD/SACD? No. It is never the less enjoyable and never has bite. ItÂ’s also very capable as a Roon streamer, volume control, etc. as well.

    The reality is that these two devices donÂ’t compete in the same space, price wise nor function wise. One is relatively new and one is now discontinued to boot.

    Which one would I buy? Neither. I would still pick the MSB Discrete at the $10k price point. NOTHING IÂ’ve heard comes close. It even out analogs the D-08u (and thatÂ’s no small task).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Thank you Mike, for your time and thoughtful response; It's super interesting that in the rarified air of $ dacs (and the like) that each manufacturer's solution has unique attributes- one is a tad more crystalline, one may be imbued with a bit more analog warmth, and another with tube-like lucidity, on and on; Supporting equipment: preamps, cables, amps, speakers, acoustics can be assembled to fully exploit (or diminish) the native characteristics of the source.
    Our individual goal for what moves us (musically) drives the cycles of upgrades and tweaks getting things "just so"; Like many of you I've been at this for a long, long time, and while sometimes a frustrating discovery, I would not change a thing; Sorry for the sideways musings;
    About 2 years ago I had the Meitner MA1 V1 (I performed the upgrade to the V2 myself); I was amazed with the DAC on DSD; It was so clear, open, and dynamic; It was very capable on other formats as well; All that said I feel like the DAC was bit forward and lean for my goals, and eventually moved on; I tried a bunch of DACs since then, including an MSB Discrete (with dual supplies), Chord TT2/Mscaler, PS Audio DSD (bridge II was a disaster- the dac itself is wonderful), Exogal Comet, Bricasti M3, and finally Luxman D08u;
    For servers, Innuos Zenith MkIII, Aurender N10 class of "stuff"; While I do love the Roon user interface, I have been extremely frustrated by the frequent software updates, various Roon hiccups, and changing audio quality- I've experienced frustrating losses in fidelity- sound begins to dull and become flat;
    Hardware re-starts, network upgrades, cables, audiophile switches, on and on have helped but the problems still surface with network/streaming and Roon; I have consistently found best audio performance with native apps, such as Lumin's, Aurender, or in the case of the Bricasti M3, the extremely simple MConnect; Roon of course tramples them all in terms of user experience and music discovery; Much of this frustration (various network gremlins, Roon sonic degradation), led to the eventual purchase of the D08u; I have a boat load of SACD's and CD's for absolute best playback performance (within the confines of my system), and the Lumin U1 mini seems to do a very fine job of keeping the Roon/ streaming Qobuz side smooth and a pleasant experience.
    All this is well and good but, as you have said, with the advances in USB and such, i'm curious if the MA3 would be higher performance and overall smooth user experience with Roon (I could always grab a transport for cd playback); Supporting audio gear: Harbeth SHL5+XD, Luxman 509X;
    Thanks for your time;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Meitner MA-3 DAC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •