Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 47 of 47
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    New SFPs in 'da house!

    Been reading in-depth Emile's posts on another forum about the SFPs that he found to be the best-sounding SFPs, and what he recommends for use with the Taiko Extreme. So, today I got in two of 'em in to try out.

    I got these from Planet Technology Corp., and they are 1000Base-LX single-mode SFPs from MGB-TLX that support transmission up to 20KM over 9/125 fiber.





    I also got in some Corning LC/LC 9/125 fiber to try out as well vs. the Tripp-Lite LC/LC fiber I'm currently using (which has been working fine).


    Going to start out with the optical transceivers first, and then when I get a chance, I'll install the run of the new Corning fiber. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by Puma Cat; March 10, 2023 at 08:01 PM. Reason: edit

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Well, I replaced the Finisar 850 nM transceivers with the 1310 nM Planet Tech MGB-TLX optical transceivers, and I couldn't get the Lumin P1 to see the music server via my EtherREGEN. It may be that the Lumin, the EtherREGEN or both are not compatible with this specification of optical transceiver, OR...that the Tripp-Lite fiber I was using was not compatible.

    So, that experiment was a bust.

    Next thing I'll try is using the Corning 9/125 fiber with the Finisar transceivers and see if that works.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Okay, update: I just installed the run of Corning Plenum 9/125 fiber; I've got both runs installed next to each other, so I can actually compare different mfrs/specifications of fiber. Both are going to the Finisar 850 nM optical transceivers at this point, and it's working now, compared to using the 1310 nM transceivers with the Tripp-Lite 62.5/125 fiber.

    Stay tuned, more experiments to come...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Success! After installing the Corning 9/125 fiber I just installed the MGB-TLX 1310 nM optical transceivers, and I'm back up and running! These transceivers sound smoother and sweeter than the Finisar 800nM transceivers when used with the Corning 9/125 fiber, so I suspect there is an transceiver x fiber interaction that is audible.

    Sounds really nice: "smoother and sweeter" than the previous set-up, "airier", and the bass has more definition and body as well.

    Bottom-line: SFP optical transceivers (and very likely, LC/LC fiber)...sound different. Welcome to high-end audio. Doh!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Success! After installing the Corning 9/125 fiber I just installed the MGB-TLX 1310 nM optical transceivers, and I'm back up and running! These transceivers sound smoother and sweeter than the Finisar 800nM transceivers when used with the Corning 9/125 fiber, so I suspect there is an transceiver x fiber interaction that is audible.

    Sounds really nice: "smoother and sweeter" than the previous set-up, "airier", and the bass has more definition and body as well.

    Bottom-line: SFP optical transceivers (and very likely, LC/LC fiber)...sound different. Welcome to high-end audio. Doh!
    Thanks for sharing!
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    90

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Bottom-line: SFP optical transceivers (and very likely, LC/LC fiber)...sound different. Welcome to high-end audio. Doh!
    Yeah SFPs definitely sound different. At one time I used those Planet Tech SFPs you mentioned. They disappeared better than a few others I tried. I ultimately landed on Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL, which were discontinued a while ago. These vanished even further.

    I have not experimented with optical fiber. Iíve used only this which is made from 9/125 Corning optical fiber.
    Digital: Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC
    Amp & Speakers: Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T
    Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Hey Kenny,
    I've heard good things about the Finisar FTLX1475D3BCL and the Finisar 1318. The guy that makes the AfterDark master clocks really liked the FTLX1475D3BCL.

    When I first got my ER, I was using TP-Link SFPs and having consistency issues with connectivity in ER's SFP cage. If I just touched ER, sometimes it would "disconnect" or connect intermittently, and I'd have drop outs. Alex sent me a GTek SFP transceiver that was much more reliable. Then I got some Finisar 850nM ones, and those clearly sounded better than the GTek, and that's what I was using up until today. They're compatible with 62.5/125 fiber, but apparently, not with 9/125 fiber.

    i may get a pair of one or the other, or both, and try 'em. Nice thing is they're both compatible with the Corning 9/125 LC/LC single-mode fiber.

    Ha! That's the same 9/125 fiber I just got in as well. I ran it alongside the Tripp-Lite I've been using so far.

    Cheers, and thanks for the input, my friend. It's helpful. 👍

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    90

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Hey Kenny,
    I've heard good things about the Finisar FTLX1475D3BCL and the Finisar 1318. The guy that makes the AfterDark master clocks really liked the FTLX1475D3BCL.
    I have tried only the Finisar 1318 out of those you mentioned. It was awfully close to the Finisar 1324 but I thought the top end made the 1318 less of a good fit, but if I never heard the 1324, I could have lived with the 1318. A pair of 1324s set me back only $19 off eBay so itís been really easy to sit tight with those.
    Digital: Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC
    Amp & Speakers: Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T
    Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
    I have tried only the Finisar 1318 out of those you mentioned. It was awfully close to the Finisar 1324 but I thought the top end made the 1318 less of a good fit, but if I never heard the 1324, I could have lived with the 1318. A pair of 1324s set me back only $19 off eBay so itís been really easy to sit tight with those.
    Thanks, Kenny, very helpful. I'll see if I can snag a pair of the 1324s, you never know, someone may be selling them. In the interim, I may order some of the FTLX1475s and see what those do. I can certainly see how folks might use SFPs to "flavor to taste", which is certainly an interesting "hypothesis" given that "digital" theoretically was "immune" to all this stuff. But, from the perspective of a scientist, all data is useful as it provides a "context for understanding".

    Cheers, buddy!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    90

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    I can certainly see how folks might use SFPs to "flavor to taste", which is certainly an interesting "hypothesis" given that "digital" theoretically was "immune" to all this stuff. But, from the perspective of a scientist, all data is useful as it provides a "context for understanding".
    We each have different sensitivities to noise and our systems react differently to noise as well. I had one loaned out my spare 1324s and spare 1318s. He ended up preferring the 1318s and I believe he purchased them from me.

    Power consumption does vary amongst SFPs. I believe it was lower power consumption that lead Emile to recommend that Planet Tech SFP at one time. He later recommended the 1324 for that same reason, if I remember correctly.

    I had been occasionally powering down my fiber span to see if I could hear differences. I did that by having my opticalModule plugged into a Kasa smart plug. It used to be that I heard a slight improvement with the network powered down. Adding the REF10 and having it provide a reference to the EtherRegen reduced the harm of having the network powered on. Upgrading the REF10 to SE120 either eliminated the difference or gave a slight advantage to having the network powered up. I mentioned that only as it also explains why Iíve held my ground with the 1324s.

    The most shocking thing Iíve encountered in this hobby was finding that I could hear the harm done by the upstream FMC and SFP. It certainly blew a hole in my belief that a span of fiber provides perfect isolation.
    Digital: Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC
    Amp & Speakers: Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T
    Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
    We each have different sensitivities to noise and our systems react differently to noise as well. I had one loaned out my spare 1324s and spare 1318s. He ended up preferring the 1318s and I believe he purchased them from me.

    Power consumption does vary amongst SFPs. I believe it was lower power consumption that lead Emile to recommend that Planet Tech SFP at one time. He later recommended the 1324 for that same reason, if I remember correctly.

    I had been occasionally powering down my fiber span to see if I could hear differences. I did that by having my opticalModule plugged into a Kasa smart plug. It used to be that I heard a slight improvement with the network powered down. Adding the REF10 and having it provide a reference to the EtherRegen reduced the harm of having the network powered on. Upgrading the REF10 to SE120 either eliminated the difference or gave a slight advantage to having the network powered up. I mentioned that only as it also explains why Iíve held my ground with the 1324s.

    The most shocking thing Iíve encountered in this hobby was finding that I could hear the harm done by the upstream FMC and SFP. It certainly blew a hole in my belief that a span of fiber provides perfect isolation.
    Kenny, what are the REF10 and SE120 you're referring to?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    90

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Kenny, what are the REF10 and SE120 you're referring to?
    Mutec REF10 reference clock and the upgraded REF10 SE120 version.

    MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - REF10

    MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - REF10 SE120
    Digital: Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC
    Amp & Speakers: Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T
    Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
    Ah, got it. Thanks, Kenny, these are Master clocks.

    FWIW, I added an AfterDark Master clock to my ER, and it made for quite an improvement. Powering it and the ER with the AfterDark LPS...

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,093

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Some notes on compatibility:

    1. If you're using 850nm SFP modules, they are usually multi mode, and therefore require a multi mode fiber. Your yellow fiber is single mode fiber (that goes with 1310nm SFP modules) - it is not supposed to be compatible with multi mode SFP modules.

    2. Note that some SFP modules you mentioned are SFP+ 10G, not the SFP 1G that Lumin supports. It is likely that SFP+ modules won't work when plugged into a Lumin P1 / X1 / U2 - I got one user feedback that this indeed does not work. I hope to do test this in the near future.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,680

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Have you tested OM4 fiber (which uses Corning 50/125 fiber) and/or compared it to OS2 (which uses Corning 9/125)?
    Rob
    __________________________
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11ís, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Some notes on compatibility:

    1. If you're using 850nm SFP modules, they are usually multi mode, and therefore require a multi mode fiber. Your yellow fiber is single mode fiber (that goes with 1310nm SFP modules) - it is not supposed to be compatible with multi mode SFP modules.

    2. Note that some SFP modules you mentioned are SFP+ 10G, not the SFP 1G that Lumin supports. It is likely that SFP+ modules won't work when plugged into a Lumin P1 / X1 / U2 - I got one user feedback that this indeed does not work. I hope to do test this in the near future.
    Hi Peter,
    That's very useful information, thank you, Peter. That would explain why the 1310nM modules didn't work with the orange Tripp-Lite 62.5/125mm fiber then, very likely it's multi-mode fiber.

    I'm presently using the yellow Corning 9/126 fiber you recommended with the 1310 nM single-mode SFP modules; it's working well.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Have you tested OM4 fiber (which uses Corning 50/125 fiber) and/or compared it to OS2 (which uses Corning 9/125)?
    Hi Rob,
    Are you asking me?

    No, I haven't. I've only been using Tripp-Lite 62.5/125 fiber since setting up my optical system back in 2019, and most recently, Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL SFP optical transceivers with that. That had provided the best connectivity and the Finisar tranceivers provided the best audio quality. I had all sorts of connectivity problems using a TP-Link SFP in the EtherREGEN's SFP cage.

    I installed the Corning 9/125 single-mode fiber (and appropriate 1310 nM SFPs), based on Peter's recommendation of a fiber specification for use with the P1.

  18. #18

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    I recently entered the sfp world with an Afterdark rosanna diretta optical to usb bridge that uses the diretta network audio protocol asio driver. it made me order some sfp's, some fiber cable and a switch with sfp.

    I really like the improvement in sound the afterdark bridge provides. just cleaner and blacker background. lol I'm not good at flowery srajan ebaen type descriptions

    I can confirm the finisar 1318pbtl work with this yellow 9/125 single mode cable

    "BEYONDTECH LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable Single Mode Duplex - 3m (9.84ft) - 9/125um OS1 LSZH (2 Pack) PureOptics Cable Series" on amazon

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Read elsewhere that the Planet Tech MGB-T40 single-mode SFPs are quite an improvement over the MGB-TLX SFPs I've been using since transition from multi-mode to single-mode fiber for use with my Lumin P1*.

    So....going to run an A/B and see how the new MGB-T40 SFPs pan out...stay tuned.

    *-based on Peter Lie's recommendation of using Corning 9/125 LX/LX single-mode fiber with the Lumin P1.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    981

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    OK clueless old non-tech guy here.

    Do SFPs plug into the ethernet port of 2 pieces of equipment? Thus allowing you to use fiber between the 2 pieces of equipment?

    Thanks
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jean CAT 6's between front end equipment.
    LHY FMC and Corning Fiber to rebuilt LHY SW-6 switch in listening room.
    Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    OK clueless old non-tech guy here.

    Do SFPs plug into the ethernet port of 2 pieces of equipment? Thus allowing you to use fiber between the 2 pieces of equipment?

    Thanks
    Hi Brad,
    No, the SFPs are actually a specific class of optical transceivers: Small Form-factor, Pluggable. This type of SFPs are usually of two main types: LC/LC or SC/SC. The LC/LC type of SFPs are the specification typically increasingly used for high-end audio applications, e.g. by mfs. e.g. Lumin, Uptone, Sonore, SOtM, Taiko, etc. Here's an LC/LC SFP shown here. They come in different types e.g. multi-mode 850nM, single-mode 1310nM, and are rated to transmit data for different distances/applications.



    They plug directly in to what is referred to as an "SFP cage", which is the specification for the receiver port for this class of optical transceiver. They are not compatible with RJ45 Ethernet ports, which are completely different, and they are also not the same type of optical connection as TOSLINK, which, if memory serves, are limited to 24/96.

    Here's a pic of an SFP cage on the back of an Ethernet switch...


    Optical has a number of advantages over copper ethernet, including being smaller, thinner, lighter and less expensive to dress than Ethernet, will provide (depending on the spec of the SFP) data over longer distances with less "loss", and most importantly for audio applications, does not pass low-source and high-source impedance leakage current, which have turned out to significant noise factors for digital "streaming" applications where audio quality is of importance. It's also considerably less expensive than running audiophile-grade Ethernet cables over long runs from say, a remote server room to an audio rack. A 30M (~100 ft) run of LC/LC optical fiber only costs about 30 bucks or so.



    So, here's EtherREGEN (aka ER), which the Mac Mini Roon Core in the "remote server room" is connected to via a Sigma Ethernet cable, and with the yellow 9/125 Corning fiber connected to the LC/LC SFP.


    The LC/LC SFP with the yellow 9/125 Corning fiber runs OUT of ER in the remote server room over to the SFP cage of he Lumin P1 in the main audio rack in the listening area; shown in the photo below.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    981

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Thanks, that make sense now.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jean CAT 6's between front end equipment.
    LHY FMC and Corning Fiber to rebuilt LHY SW-6 switch in listening room.
    Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    250

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Well, curiosity has gotten the best of me.
    I have no idea whether I'll hear any differences by swapping these but I figure this model is a good one to try since it was an early audiophile favorite. I was surprised that FMC/switches sounded different from each other so I will listen with an open mind.

    IMG_6455 Large.jpeg
    Christian

    south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

    north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rnrmf View Post
    Well, curiosity has gotten the best of me.
    I have no idea whether I'll hear any differences by swapping these but I figure this model is a good one to try since it was an early audiophile favorite. I was surprised that FMC/switches sounded different from each other so I will listen with an open mind.

    IMG_6455 Large.jpeg


    Definitely let us know how it goes!!
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rnrmf View Post
    Well, curiosity has gotten the best of me.
    I have no idea whether I'll hear any differences by swapping these but I figure this model is a good one to try since it was an early audiophile favorite. I was surprised that FMC/switches sounded different from each other so I will listen with an open mind.

    IMG_6455 Large.jpeg
    It's high-end audio, so everything makes a difference.

    Including the barometric pressure in the room.

    The Finisars are a good-sounding SFP. I'm currently using Planet Tech 1310 nM MGB-TL40 SFPs with Corning ClearCurve 1310 nM single-mode fiber for my set-up.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Plantation Bay CC
    Posts
    5,196

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    It's high-end audio, so everything makes a difference.

    Including the barometric pressure in the room.

    The Finisars are a good-sounding SFP. I'm currently using Planet Tech 1310 nM MGB-TL40 SFPs with Corning ClearCurve 1310 nM single-mode fiber for my set-up.
    Pretty cool. I'm holding out until next year as our cable company is supposed to start hooking up subs's to fiber to the home, Yeah !
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Pretty cool. I'm holding out until next year as our cable company is supposed to start hooking up subs's to fiber to the home, Yeah !
    We recently went from copper to our house to a brand new fiber optic line they laid in our neighborhood and right up to my house. It was interesting to note there was an improvement in the sound.
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,093

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rnrmf View Post
    Well, curiosity has gotten the best of me.
    I have no idea whether I'll hear any differences by swapping these but I figure this model is a good one to try since it was an early audiophile favorite. I was surprised that FMC/switches sounded different from each other so I will listen with an open mind.
    I believe that is SFP+ 10G (for use with SFP+ switches).

    For those who need to use a Finisar SFP module with Lumin X1 P1 U2, the appropriate Finisar 1G module is:

    Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL.

    I have read multiple positive reports from users using this model of Finisar SFP module.

    Note that, however, there are fake Finisar.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    250

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    I believe that is SFP+ 10G (for use with SFP+ switches).

    For those who need to use a Finisar SFP module with Lumin X1 P1 U2, the appropriate Finisar 1G module is:

    Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL.

    I have read multiple positive reports from users using this model of Finisar SFP module.

    Note that, however, there are fake Finisar.
    That's one reason I delayed trying another SFP module. When I saw audio dealers selling these, my first thought was how easy it would be to print a new label to stick on whatever cheaper SFP module is being passed off as legit. I purchased mine from an authorized dealer for Finisar so I hope they are the real thing. I'll consider trying the Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL as well.

    I'm using the FTLX1475D3BTL in my 2 Trendnet switches and they seem to work perfectly. The Trendnet switch doesn't indicate that it supports SFP+ data speeds on the spec sheet but all is working well. I spent a couple of hours comparing back and forth with my Startech SFPGLCLHSMST which sounded very good to me in my system. It's possible that the Finisar sounds better after a lot of comparing. It may be possible that I hear a more vivid sound with better focus and contrast with longer decays. I do/did have a lot of doubt that there could be a difference in sound with these modules but it seems like there is. As would be expected, there is no change in volume level - my SPL meter showed the same peak volume at the same time using either SFP module with the track I played. Maybe auditioning another module will provide more insight into the possibility that these modules sound different.

    The Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL is clearly built more robustly than the Startech SFPGLCLHSMST. The Finisar is about 20-30% heavier than the Startech. The Finisar does get hotter to the touch than the Startech, however. The Finisar module is more sealed and likely doesn't release heat as the more open framed Startech.

    Here are some pics of the visual differences:
    IMG_6477 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6478 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6476 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6510 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6513 Medium.jpeg
    Christian

    south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

    north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rnrmf View Post
    I do/did have a lot of doubt that there could be a difference in sound with these modules but it seems like there is.
    Yep, they all sound different. The Finisar SFPs are the best I've heard for multi-mode fiber, as are the Planet Tech MGB-series for single-mode fiber.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Been reading in-depth Emile's posts on another forum about the SFPs that he found to be the best-sounding SFPs, and what he recommends for use with the Taiko Extreme. So, today I got in two of 'em in to try out.

    I got these from Planet Technology Corp., and they are 1000Base-LX single-mode SFPs from MGB-TLX that support transmission up to 20KM over 9/125 fiber.





    I also got in some Corning LC/LC 9/125 fiber to try out as well vs. the Tripp-Lite LC/LC fiber I'm currently using (which has been working fine).


    Going to start out with the optical transceivers first, and then when I get a chance, I'll install the run of the new Corning fiber. Stay tuned...
    Hey Puma Cat - have you tried any of the converter boxes from them? Also, are what are you latest thoughts on this combo?

    I have a pair of Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL sitting unused.

    Thanks for all the testing you do!
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelsMinute View Post
    Hey Puma Cat - have you tried any of the converter boxes from them? Also, are what are you latest thoughts on this combo?

    I have a pair of Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL sitting unused.

    Thanks for all the testing you do!
    Hi Michael,
    Converter "boxes"? Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to Finisar SFP-format fiber-media optical transceivers?

    These things? (FWIW, this is a TP link LC/LC SFP multi-mode optical transceiver, not a Finisar)


    If so, then, yes, I've used Finisar SFP optical transceivers. They were my SFPs of choice when I was still using multi-mode fiber, but since transitioning to Corning single-mode fiber, I've been using the Planet Tech SFP optical transceivers.

    I changed over from multi-mode to single-mode fiber based for use with my Lumin P1 on the recommendation of Peter Lie of Lumin, as Peter really knows what he's talking about when it comes to this stuff. He's one of the most knowledgeable and helpful support people I've ever met in high-end audio. 👍
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Hi Michael,
    Converter "boxes"? Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to Finisar SFP-format fiber-media optical transceivers?

    These things? (FWIW, this is a TP link LC/LC SFP multi-mode optical transceiver, not a Finisar)


    If so, then, yes, I've used Finisar SFP optical transceivers. They were my SFPs of choice when I was still using multi-mode fiber, but since transitioning to Corning single-mode fiber, I've been using the Planet Tech SFP optical transceivers.

    I changed over from multi-mode to single-mode fiber based for use with my Lumin P1 on the recommendation of Peter Lie of Lumin, as Peter really knows what he's talking about when it comes to this stuff. He's one of the most knowledgeable and helpful support people I've ever met in high-end audio. 👍
    Sorry....I meant these:

    Media Converters | Planet Network Technology
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelsMinute View Post
    No, the source end is the SFP cage in my EtherREGEN, and the destination end is the SFP cage in my Lumin P1.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    No, the source end is the SFP cage in my EtherREGEN, and the destination end is the SFP cage in my Lumin P1.
    OK. Thank you.

    I need to figure out which of these to get that is not too expensive or whether to simply get one of the cheap Gtek's off amazon.
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    649

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    I started with the Gteks then replaced with something better (Finisar? Cant remember tbh and dont want to pull them to look), and to me there was a definite improvement. I donít recommend buying ďany oldĒ transceiver. This is true for me at work too, where we use transceivers in high speed network gear.

    Single mode (SM) > Multimode (MM), also, in my experience. There are technical reasons regarding how light is transmitted differently down the glass of SM vs MM that I believe are behind why one seems better than the other for audio.

    I actually came on to say what Peter said. SM xceivers generally must pair with SM cable; MM w/ MM - canít mix and match. OM4 is MM iirc. SFP+ did not work for me in the X1.

    For those less familiar with the technicalities I recommend focusing on matching xceiver type to fiber type, getting non SFP+, and not getting cheap amazon xceivers.
    Main System

    Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

    Headphones

    Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    I started with the Gteks then replaced with something better (Finisar? Cant remember tbh and dont want to pull them to look), and to me there was a definite improvement. I donít recommend buying ďany oldĒ transceiver. This is true for me at work too, where we use transceivers in high speed network gear.

    Single mode (SM) > Multimode (MM), also, in my experience. There are technical reasons regarding how light is transmitted differently down the glass of SM vs MM that I believe are behind why one seems better than the other for audio.

    I actually came on to say what Peter said. SM xceivers generally must pair with SM cable; MM w/ MM - canít mix and match. OM4 is MM iirc. SFP+ did not work for me in the X1.

    For those less familiar with the technicalities I recommend focusing on matching xceiver type to fiber type, getting non SFP+, and not getting cheap amazon xceivers.

    Thank you. I'm finding mixing a matching a bit confusing. This is what I'm thinking:

    I have these: Amazon.com

    I have this cable: Amazon.com

    And I am debating between these two:

    Amazon.com

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

    Unless you think one of these is better that will work as a SM: Media Converters | Planet Network Technology
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelsMinute View Post
    Thank you. I'm finding mixing a matching a bit confusing. This is what I'm thinking:

    I have these: Amazon.com

    I have this cable: Amazon.com

    And I am debating between these two:

    Amazon.com

    Amazon.com

    Unless you think one of these is better that will work as a SM: Media Converters | Planet Network Technology
    The optical transceivers you have are multi-mode, so they will not work with the Corning single-mode optical fiber cable you have.

    You'll either need to get multi-mode LC/LC fiber OR single-mode LC/LC optical transceivers like the Planet Tech referenced above so that they'll work with the Corning single-mode optical fiber.

    Also, the first FMC you listed is also singlemode, so it will likely will not work with the multi-mode optical transceivers you have. The second one listed is both multimode/singlemode, so it should work with the multi-mode optical transceivers OR the single-mode fiber but...you will still need to match the fiber with the correct optical transceiver.

    If you get the Planet Tech single-mode optical transceivers I've referenced above, you'll be good to go.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    The optical transceivers you have are multi-mode, so they will not work with the Corning single-mode optical fiber cable you have.

    You'll either need to get multi-mode LC/LC fiber, or...single-mode optical transceivers like the Planet Tech referenced above so that they'll work with the Corning ingle-mode optical fiber.

    Also, the first FMC you listed is also singlemode, so it will likely will not work with the multi-mode optical transceivers you have. The second one listed is both multimode/singlemode, so it will work with the multi-mode optical transceivers OR the single-mode but...you will still need to match the type of fiber with the correct optical tranceiver. If you get the Planet Tech single-mode optical transceivers I've referenced above, you'll be good to go.
    Super helpful. Thanks Puma Cat.
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelsMinute View Post
    Super helpful. Thanks Puma Cat.
    Cheers.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    250

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    I bought the Star Tech media converter in early 2022 thinking it must be okay because it's not the cheapest.

    I had a Lumin X1 at the time and wanted to try fiber with it. I purchased the converter even though I'd previously read wklie's post long ago that stated a switch might sound better than a media converter for some reason.

    After I set it up the media convertor, I listened for a few days and found a very obvious decline in sound quality. The best description is fuzzy and constrained sounding.

    Subsequently I bought a switch cheaper than the convertor and the sound vastly improved. I still use the switch along with an iFi power supply with great results.

    Hopefully, you have better luck with them.
    Christian

    south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

    north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rnrmf View Post
    I bought the Star Tech media converter in early 2022 thinking it must be okay because it's not the cheapest.

    I had a Lumin X1 at the time and wanted to try fiber with it. I purchased the converter even though I'd previously read wklie's post long ago that stated a switch might sound better than a media converter for some reason.

    After I set it up the media convertor, I listened for a few days and found a very obvious decline in sound quality. The best description is fuzzy and constrained sounding.

    Subsequently I bought a switch cheaper than the convertor and the sound vastly improved. I still use the switch along with an iFi power supply with great results.

    Hopefully, you have better luck with them.

    Thank you Christian. I actually ordered the Star Tech and the GTek and I've decided to do some audio testing to seen which combo's I like.

    I also took Puma Cat's advice on the items from PT to order as well.
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Thanks Puma Cat for the recommendation!

    IMG_1371.JPG
    "Whadda we have heeya? Whadda we have heeya? A cuppa haydahs? Huh? A cuppa haydah's?" - Enzo Amore

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelsMinute View Post
    Thanks Puma Cat for the recommendation!

    IMG_1371.JPG
    Cheers and Happy Holidays.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    PNW, US
    Posts
    136

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    I'm bookmarking this but have some RME and Ferrofish Madi recording boxes with SFP (SC, I think) yet to hook those up optically, running analog atm into thunderbolt.

    But related to here I might try to loop it all including hfii on optical network (modem/optical/server streamer (Lumin) via SFP's and corning glass?) but let me review thread.

    Puma Cat do you run a format converter to jump from the modem to optical? I'm not sure how it works yet. ?modem>format coverter> to break out optical line>to dedicated server/streamer. I wanted to get the conversion to optical straight away, right after the modem, hence the format convert? (Beatechnik has a new box for it). Or, I coud run lines of copper ethernet to a 6 foot optcal convertor/SFP server, and probably be good. I bet that would make more $sense.

    Wifi router for non-audio gadgets. Lemme get out the white board and skectch a flow chart. More wires upon wires upon wires. ugh. I'm not even at power supplies yet. (re-wiring-in a sub panel this Spring, digging in a new ground rod)

    Happy holidays, EOY.
    Digital: LUMIN Music D2, Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD player DAC| Berkeley Alpha DAC Series 3, Grimm Audio UC1
    TT: MoFi Studiodeck +Mastertracker Phono: Parasound JC3+, QHW The Vinyl
    Line: Parasound JC2BP, Dennis Had L-2030 Tube
    Int: PM-Ki Ruby Monoblocks: Parasound JC1+, Manley Mahi-Mahi EL84, Dayens Ampino (A/B)
    Amps: Parasound JC5, Pass Labs XA-25, First Watt J2, F7, Dennis Had Inspire tube roller
    Speakers: Omega Loudspeakers assort: DynaTen (Dynaco Seas A26), single driver and 1.5 way boxes; Evolution Acoustics MicroOne 5.1; MAGNAT 15" Transpuls 3-ways
    Wire: A: Acoustic Zen all through. B: Supra DIY all through.

  46. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by XRS View Post
    I'm bookmarking this but have some RME and Ferrofish Madi recording boxes with SFP (SC, I think) yet to hook those up optically, running analog atm into thunderbolt.

    But related to here I might try to loop it all including hfii on optical network (modem/optical/server streamer (Lumin) via SFP's and corning glass?) but let me review thread.

    Puma Cat do you run a format converter to jump from the modem to optical? I'm not sure how it works yet. ?modem>format coverter> to break out optical line>to dedicated server/streamer. I wanted to get the conversion to optical straight away, right after the modem, hence the format convert? (Beatechnik has a new box for it). Or, I coud run lines of copper ethernet to a 6 foot optcal convertor/SFP server, and probably be good. I bet that would make more $sense.

    Wifi router for non-audio gadgets. Lemme get out the white board and skectch a flow chart. More wires upon wires upon wires. ugh. I'm not even at power supplies yet. (re-wiring-in a sub panel this Spring, digging in a new ground rod)

    Happy holidays, EOY.
    This is my current set-up:


    The LC/LC optical transceiver that plugs into the SFP cage of the Lumin P1 is also a Planet Tech MGB-TL40.

    Also have the iFi DC Purifier2s between the SMPSí DC cables that power the crap Pace router and Alita in the RSR. These brought a notable improvement, also.


    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    PNW, US
    Posts
    136

    Re: New SFPs in 'da house!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    This is my current set-up:
    excellent linguini, Thanks for the recipe!
    I called my ISP... stuck with same modem. Okay, let me work on this, Got it. Thank you Puma Cat.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New SFPs in 'da house!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •