Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 67 of 67

Thread: Boulder 866

  1. #51

    Re: Boulder 866

    Quote Originally Posted by maxdog923 View Post
    essrand.
    Have had the Boulder plugged in for almost a week now, using it mainly for streaming and TV so far. Just a couple of CD's .
    My main impression is it has a bit more clarity compared to the E650. This can be a double edged sword in my opinion, tho. Poorly recorded music is even more obvious, voices in a harmony seem more separated, which while more "real" may not be as pleasant to listen to. I believe this is an issue as the equipment gets better in all of audio, tho. And it may be an indication of issues in other equipment ....time will tell as I listen more.

    Great imaging, unquestionably.Possibly better than the Accuphase, but they both are excellent in this regard.Layers of sound, very subtle sounds on the recording are more obvious with this amp.
    Not sure yet on the DAC section.....would like to listen to it with the Directstream as well, soon,. and see if I can hear any differences. Need to get a better ethernet wire in any event , and when I do will try do some serious listening.

    Wondering if I should run this directly from the wall, or from my Denali?..Any advice appreciated from those who have much more knowledge about this than I ever will.

    Not completely sold on the "no Remote"...a pain to have to enter the password into my phone to wake it, and think I'll order a cheap one to try.

    Great dynamics for sure, seems to have more headroom than the E650...and my speakers are very efficient. I do like it loud at times, and this amp doesn't disappoint. Like the "sleep" mode as opposed to having to either leave the Accuphase on all the time, or powering it off manually.

    Not what you need help decide, I'm sure...will add what I can as it breaks in . Definitely worth a demo if possibly. One of the problems with the lack of dealers now....if you live in a major market, you can hear these...otherwise it's risk.
    HI maxdog923,

    Any further updates as your Boulder 866 is breaking in, or are you too lost in the music?

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    1,116

    Re: Boulder 866

    I don't agree "more real" is a double edged sword. If your experiencing fatigue then something is not set up correct.

    I would not put that amp in a Denali. I would figure out what is wrong with your power if its having hum/buzz/loss of power plugged direct into rhe wall, or address room issues if that is the culprit..

    And don't go buy a pile of $5k each cords. I doubt that will fix anything.

    When you figure that out, real will be much better than whatever else you are hearing.

  3. #53

    Re: Boulder 866

    essrand, Honestly haven't had a lot of time to listen in the past few weeks, due to work getting busier, and I work a lot of evenings.
    Will say that I'm pleased with what I'm hearing as far as dynamics, detail, and imaging. And I do need to do some room treatments , as the room is very sterile ....need to definitely treat it ...all speakers I've had here could benefit from some carpeting and some corner sound diffusers, I think...

    As to the comment on "more real", I meant that as a commentary on some harmonies I've heard on music with singers who accompany the lead vocalist, and who's skills to messed to distract from the quality of the lead. Not every singer has that crystalline clarity of delivery as someone like an Alison Krause, and I'd rather listen to her voice, for example, that her dieting or being backed up by others. My preference...

    I am not using the Denali with the amp....was just looking for advice one way or the other as to what might be best.

    Also using my Directstream with the latest upgrade to see if it makes a difference, or I have a preference....still trying to decide.

    Carl

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    1,116

    Re: Boulder 866

    My attempt at describing "Real" is it's just that. It sounds more like an actual instrument is in the room, or a person is speaking in the room. Natural. More emotion. Less Hifi or stereo ish. You know it when you get it right. Its kind of like Charlie Brown when Lucy explains his issues. THATS IT.

    Don't get me wrong on the Denali. If I had one, I would try it both ways. You never know. But it will change the sound. I had one for a few days and I definitely heard it alter things. When you try it, let it run a couple days in, a couple days out, a couple days in. Live with it a little. See if your more engaged one way or another. See if you have the desire to turn it up and sit longer, or turn it down and walk away. Sometimes we try to hard to ascribe attributes to what we hear instead of letting our subconscious tell us what it feels.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    227

    Re: Boulder 866

    What - No digital co-ax in? Seems a silly thing to leave out, but at least it offers AES, although some associated kit won't have an AES out, so users may have to resort to optical. No unbalanced analogue in either, so vinyl users with phono preamps will have to find one with an XLR out.


    A little more design thought for maximum flexibility may have offered:

    Digital - 2 x coax ins and 2 x USB in place of the 4 x USB

    Analogue - 1 x XLR in and 2 x phono in instead of 3 x XLR


    I'm sure it sounds great, but it rather restricts what can be connected to it.
    Sources - NAD M50.2 (streamer, CD player, CD ripper, hard drive music store)
    Amplification - NAD M33, NAD M12, Consonance Cyber 845 monoblocs
    Speakers - Avantgarde Duo XD, Avantgarde Duo (2006) - both aesthetically modified, Martin Logan Expression 13A (now sold)

  6. #56

    Re: Boulder 866

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    My attempt at describing "Real" is it's just that. It sounds more like an actual instrument is in the room, or a person is speaking in the room. Natural. More emotion. Less Hifi or stereo ish. You know it when you get it right. Its kind of like Charlie Brown when Lucy explains his issues. THATS IT.

    Don't get me wrong on the Denali. If I had one, I would try it both ways. You never know. But it will change the sound. I had one for a few days and I definitely heard it alter things. When you try it, let it run a couple days in, a couple days out, a couple days in. Live with it a little. See if your more engaged one way or another. See if you have the desire to turn it up and sit longer, or turn it down and walk away. Sometimes we try to hard to ascribe attributes to what we hear instead of letting our subconscious tell us what it feels.
    I must agree...moved the speakers a foot more toward me last week, and a much better sound ....high end much smoother ,and sound is almost there....Amazing what a change it affected....

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Front Row Center
    Posts
    2,752

    Re: Boulder 866

    It will get easier to move them as you get closer to “locking in “ your setup, speaker movements will be down to 1/4 “ ...



  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    1,116

    Re: Boulder 866

    Quote Originally Posted by maxdog923 View Post
    I must agree...moved the speakers a foot more toward me last week, and a much better sound ....high end much smoother ,and sound is almost there....Amazing what a change it affected....
    Some guys on whatsbest told me to move mine out at one time. It made a really big impact. I went from about 36 inches to 48, then back to about 44 inches out. Then I was reading the Natural Sound thread and saw the speakers at a 45 degree angle. And on another youtube saw a guy tuning horns by turning them crossing to the listener. I tried that and it was a massive shift. Much more clear and impactful. I would not do as such with a conventional speaker. Only point is that speaker setup is really important. I have tape on my hardwood in a couple places to bring the speakers back to best listening positions. I have to shove them back to the wall when not in use as they are out so far they get in the field of view of the TV behind them.

    Keep us up to date on the Boulder. And if you like it in or out of the Denali.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

  9. #59

    Re: Boulder 866

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Some guys on whatsbest told me to move mine out at one time. It made a really big impact. I went from about 36 inches to 48, then back to about 44 inches out. Then I was reading the Natural Sound thread and saw the speakers at a 45 degree angle. And on another youtube saw a guy tuning horns by turning them crossing to the listener. I tried that and it was a massive shift. Much more clear and impactful. I would not do as such with a conventional speaker. Only point is that speaker setup is really important. I have tape on my hardwood in a couple places to bring the speakers back to best listening positions. I have to shove them back to the wall when not in use as they are out so far they get in the field of view of the TV behind them.

    Keep us up to date on the Boulder. And if you like it in or out of the Denali.
    Running it direct from the wall at present....As my speakers have powered woofers drawing power from The Denali, thought it might be too much of a draw all together. SR suggested I run the speakers from the Denali...when I retire and can spend the time screwing with this I'll try several combos. ))..Right now it's sounding much better than a few weeks ago....May have to slide the Accuphase back in and see what the difference is . Or if I can hear it!!...

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    31

    Re: Boulder 866

    For what it’s worth, the FAQ’s on the Boulder 866 web site recommend plugging directly into the wall:

    ● “Do I need or should I get a power conditioner with the 866?”
    We do not recommend using power conditioners with our products. There have been times we have heard of power conditioners making our products perform worse or even creates operational issues. We feel it is best to go directly into a wall outlet.
    Dylan
    System: Qobuz, Boulder 866 integrated amplifier/streamer, Wireworld Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Fyne F1-10 speakers, Isoacoustics Gaia 1 footers.

  11. #61

    Re: Boulder 866

    Yes I had seen that.....Wonder if that applies to all conditioners , tho, given the variety out there...Everything from a power strip to a $20k box....but I think I'll stick with the wall as well...seems to work to my dusty ears....if it ain't broke......

    Must say I do appreciate the ability to probably sell some cables, maybe a DAC, etc, and that's one of the big attractions of this unit....given it's sound, it's made life simpler, and I don't have as many remotes to dig out of the sofa!


    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    For what it’s worth, the FAQ’s on the Boulder 866 web site recommend plugging directly into the wall:

    ● “Do I need or should I get a power conditioner with the 866?”
    We do not recommend using power conditioners with our products. There have been times we have heard of power conditioners making our products perform worse or even creates operational issues. We feel it is best to go directly into a wall outlet.

  12. #62
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    27,381

    Re: Boulder 866

    Quote Originally Posted by maxdog923 View Post
    Running it direct from the wall at present....As my speakers have powered woofers drawing power from The Denali, thought it might be too much of a draw all together. SR suggested I run the speakers from the Denali...when I retire and can spend the time screwing with this I'll try several combos. ))..Right now it's sounding much better than a few weeks ago....May have to slide the Accuphase back in and see what the difference is . Or if I can hear it!!...
    We run our 866 into a Shunyata Power Conditioner since they don’t limit current and we really like the results.

    But Boulder definitely prefers it into the wall direct.

    YMMV.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  13. #63

    Re: Boulder 866

    Mike, From your post I gather you prefer the sound that way....good to know...Will give it a try soon. thanks

  14. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    45

    Re: Boulder 866

    I toured the Boulder Amp Facility on Friday. (I've driven by their facility twice a day for several years on my way to work, but had never visited). I came away extremely impressed with the unpretentious professionalism and perfectionism of this company. They had the 866 hooked up to Grand Utopias in their reference listening room, but I ran out of time to listen! Hope to go back this coming week. They are very proud of the 866. I am also interested in the new 812 pre/dac. Think it might be a good fit for my Gryphon Essence. After visiting, hard to not want to work my way even farther up their component ladder. That said, I wonder if the 866 is so good that I should just trade out my Tambaqui and Essence for this convenient solution. The hobbyist/problem solver part of me, though, has some issues moving into an all in one....

  15. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    76

    Re: Boulder 866

    If I was in a better position, I’d make your life easier and take that Essence off your hands!! Good luck sorting it out

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky64 View Post
    I toured the Boulder Amp Facility on Friday. (I've driven by their facility twice a day for several years on my way to work, but had never visited). I came away extremely impressed with the unpretentious professionalism and perfectionism of this company. They had the 866 hooked up to Grand Utopias in their reference listening room, but I ran out of time to listen! Hope to go back this coming week. They are very proud of the 866. I am also interested in the new 812 pre/dac. Think it might be a good fit for my Gryphon Essence. After visiting, hard to not want to work my way even farther up their component ladder. That said, I wonder if the 866 is so good that I should just trade out my Tambaqui and Essence for this convenient solution. The hobbyist/problem solver part of me, though, has some issues moving into an all in one....
    _______________

    TAD ME-1 < Stereo Pair REL Carbon Specials < Diablo 120 w/DAC Module < [Lumin X1 < Torus RM20]


  16. #66

    Re: Boulder 866

    Quote Originally Posted by maxdog923 View Post
    Running it direct from the wall at present....As my speakers have powered woofers drawing power from The Denali, thought it might be too much of a draw all together. SR suggested I run the speakers from the Denali...when I retire and can spend the time screwing with this I'll try several combos. ))..Right now it's sounding much better than a few weeks ago....May have to slide the Accuphase back in and see what the difference is . Or if I can hear it!!...
    Any final thoughts? Was the 866 a sideways move or an upgrade from the E-650?
    I am hoping you say sideways because I just bought an E-650

  17. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    45

    Re: Boulder 866

    Heard the 866 through Grand Utopias in the Boulder Amp listening room yesterday. Very nice unit. It is voiced slightly warmer then it's bigger brothers/cousins. Also had the chance to play with the new 812 pre/dac/headphone amp. Love having a rotary volume control, and the aesthetics are very nice. Trying to rationalize spending $8K and having it on my desktop as my headphone amp...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Boulder 866

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •