Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Results 401 to 433 of 433
  1. #401
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    28

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    The cat probably helps to absorb high frequencies.

  2. #402
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,503

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    A few photos playing around with a McIntosh pre-amp!

    Attachment 30769
    Randy, notice any improvements with those IsoAcoustics sub isolators? I certainly have, with every sub(s) I've used them with.
    Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  3. #403
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    Randy, notice any improvements with those IsoAcoustics sub isolators? I certainly have, with every sub(s) I've used them with.
    The main reason I got them was because when Cheryal is in the office below the music room, the subs would irritate her. Definitely helped with that.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  4. #404
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Some photos of the system with new pre-amp, it is approaching where I want to be.

    Stereo (261).JPGStereo (262).JPGStereo (263).JPGStereo (264).JPGStereo (265).JPG
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  5. #405
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    154

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Randy-

    I may well be a Mc fanboy but nothin' like Mc on the rack!

    Lookin' Good!

    BTW, listening to a little 100.1 Radio Woodstock.
    AKA J2Ordan
    McIntosh/Legacy/VPI/Bricasti/Bryston/DIYCabling.

  6. #406
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    51

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Randy - looking good. May I ask how your AM/FM reception is with the Mac tuner, and what you are using for an antenna?
    Studio/Study:
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu Evo Universal Music Server > or McIntosh MVP-901 > Mojo Audio Mystique Evo Dac > Raven Audio Osprey Integrated Tube Amp > Harbeth P3ESR


    Main Listening Rig:
    Shunyata Denali D6000/SV2>Mojo Audio Deja Vu Evo Universal Music Server > or Jay's Audio CDT2-Mk3 > TotalDac D1-Tube > VAC Master Preamp > VAC Master 300 > JM Reynaud Orfeo Jubile


    Home Theater:
    Xfinity Cable Box or Oppo BDP105D > McIntosh C2300 Preamp > McIntosh MC302 Amp > JM Reynaud Offrande Supreme

  7. #407
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Hey Scotty, the reception is excellent, and this is not a big metro area. Far from it. I am using a Magnum Dynalab ST-2. Just sitting next to the window.

    Ok, reconfigured the system to get the Mc stack look. Pain in the butt, but I like it. If I ever add a Mc amp it would replace the NAD on the bottom and the system would have a full Mc stack .

    Stereo (266).JPG
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  8. #408
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Some new picts with a vintage Mc amp. Sounds wonderful!

    I really love this new McIntosh pre-amplifier. My favorite ever. It sounds as good as any I have owned, including the Audio Research, the Hattor with optional tube stage, and the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2. In controls and ease of use nothing is better, without the flash of the C53. It just emanates quality.

    The amp is new enough to have XLR inputs, easy to attach modern speaker cables, and it has the Mc power control so that current pre-amps can control it. It also sounds great, definitely vintage McIntosh sound!

    Stereo (267).JPGStereo (268).JPGStereo (269).JPGStereo (270).JPGStereo (271).JPG
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  9. #409
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    639

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Sweet looking setup! Bet it sounds great.
    Main System

    Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

    Headphones

    Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

  10. #410
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    Sweet looking setup! Bet it sounds great.
    Thanks, and for me, for my personal tastes and desires it is fantastic. It gives me what I want in a system. I may eventually get a new Mc amp or upgrade the modular DAC built into the C49 depending on what Mc releases in the future.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  11. #411
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    New photos of new room with new amp (finally)! The Kansas City dealer really took care of everything!

    Mc (1).JPG

    Mc (2).JPG

    Mc (3).JPG

    Mc (4).JPG
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  12. #412
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Nicely done Randy ! Love the Lp racks !!
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  13. #413
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    924

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Looks great, Randy! Enjoy the tunes!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

    Lumin T2
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AQ Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

  14. #414
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    29,987

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Looking good. The vinyl rack looks awesome (especially for a guy who swore he wouldn’t do vinyl!)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  15. #415
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    623

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Congratulations on the new amp (finally). Looks great!
    Rance


    Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

  16. #416
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Thanks all. The record racks are hand made by Divider Records. Jason and Brit Prather build with solid wood in Amish style and tradition!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  17. #417
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    992

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    VERY nice, Randy!


    Tom
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

    DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

    Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

    Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

    Headphones/Amp: Focal Stellia phones, NAIM Uniti Atom Headphone Edition headphone amp/music player/server/streamer.

    Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

    Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

  18. #418
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    east of Seattle
    Posts
    820

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    beautiful pictures, great listening space!!! super classy.

    congrats!

  19. #419
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    856

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Looks great Randy!
    Speakers: Dutch & Dutch 8C, Franco Serblin Accordo
    Integrated System: KLH Twenty Plus System

  20. #420
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Now that I have everything together (replacement amp in place, etc.) I figured this would be a good time to post the most up to date photos. I posted these in the McIntosh thread, but I know not everyone watches the Mc thread .

    Stereo (281).JPG

    Stereo (282).JPG

    Stereo (283).JPG
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  21. #421
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2023
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    100

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Really nice Randy -- well laid out (and like the record racks). Is that one of Dan's inspired McIntosh light boxes?

    Best to you Sir,

    Bob
    Amps: VAC 450iQ Monos/HRS M3X2-1921's, G7 Footers/G-Links/Conecoasters.
    Preamp: VAC Master Preamplifier
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi (APEX DAC, UpSampler +, Clock & Rossini Transport.
    Analogue Preamp: VAC Renaissance SE Phono w/XLR Output option/Nordost Tyr 2 XLR's.
    Analogue Sources: SME 20/2 w/V arm/Valhalla TA cable/Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge/Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote.
    Vibration Control: TT on HRS M3X2-1921.
    Speakers: Wilson Audio Alexia w/Acoustic Diodes.
    Power Cables: 5 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps/preamp/DAC/Transport. Ansuz C2 on Clock.
    Power Distribution: Shunyata 8000 w/Omega XC.
    Power Outlets: 2 Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) 20A duplex outlets.
    Speaker Cables: Nordost Odin Supreme Reference/Sort Lifts.
    Signal Cables: Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS Vivaldi DAC & amps. Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS gear.
    Clock Cables: 3 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
    RCM: Audio Desk PRO

  22. #422
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage_Tube View Post
    Really nice Randy -- well laid out (and like the record racks). Is that one of Dan's inspired McIntosh light boxes?

    Best to you Sir,

    Bob
    The record racks are from Divider Records. They are hand made by Jason and Brit Prather in Amish styling using solid wood. Some really great people!

    The McIntosh light box is the R778; I believe it was the original light box offered by McIntosh. Originally intended to be used by their dealers. It had a very noisy florescent light inside. I ripped that out and rebuilt it with a LED light and added a power switch since the original had no switch. It was intended to be used off a switched outlet that all of their preamps had back in the day .
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  23. #423
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Ok, new year, time for updated picts... not a lot has changed in the system. Reconfigured a bit. Added a Schiit headphone amp (pretty amazing amp, and insanely good price).

    Stereo (288).JPG

    Stereo (289).JPG

    Stereo (290).JPG

    Stereo (291).JPG
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  24. #424
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    639

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Once again very nice.

    Randy, when do you listen to the cans vs the speaker system? I just recently started getting into the headphones thing and enjoying it. In my case it suits some specific purposes including late-night listening or listening when the main system room is being used for movies. I thought it was going to be a sort of begrudging arrangement but have to admit, I’m really liking it.
    Main System

    Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

    Headphones

    Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

  25. #425
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    Once again very nice.

    Randy, when do you listen to the cans vs the speaker system? I just recently started getting into the headphones thing and enjoying it. In my case it suits some specific purposes including late-night listening or listening when the main system room is being used for movies. I thought it was going to be a sort of begrudging arrangement but have to admit, I’m really liking it.
    I would not say that there is any particular time or situation that makes me use the Abyss. Sometimes I am in the mood for the headphones and other times I am in the mood for speakers and the McIntosh amplifier. My listening room is situated at the end of a hallway, sort of off the back of the house. Therefore, my normal listening volume, which is modest levels does not disturb my wife in her room at the other end of the hallway, or the living room. It is a rather small room and definitely would not be appropriate for loud music.

    When I feel like completely zoning out, or louder music, or sometimes in mood for some loud rock the headphones are more appropriate. For a long time, I did not have a separate headphone amp. I tried powering them off the headphone section built into the McIntosh. While it worked it never really did justice for the Abyss. I would have loved to get a higher headphone amplifier, but I am also very surprised at how good the Schiit Jot 2 is.

    Too many other things going on now, one of which is our baby Bengal kitten has a rare virus that until recently was considered fatal. There is a treatment now that UC Davis developed, but it is not FDA approved, and it is expensive (through certain channels). All of my play money is going towards little Loki at this point.

    Loki (15).jpgLoki (16).jpgLoki (18).jpgLoki (26).jpg
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  26. #426
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    639

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Loki is so worth it! Beautiful. I went through something similar a couple of years ago with Wallie, it’s something you’ll always be glad you pursued. Best wishes for a speedy Loki recovery, and Loki can chill with you while you listen to that really nice headphones system.
    Main System

    Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

    Headphones

    Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

  27. #427
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Our older Bengal (well, 2.5 years old) loves to listen to music with me. She actually has her own chair in the music room .

    Marleigh (156).jpg

    No, we don't spoil our pets at all .
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  28. #428
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    639

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Truth, there are few things nicer than having your pet with you while relaxing listening to music. Was one of my total zen things, with Wallie; she would sit up against me and I would rest my arm across her back, she was a big girl at 80 pounds, and she would fall asleep and dream while I listened. Best Thing Ever. The new one doesn’t really do this yet, but I’m working on it with him
    Main System

    Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

    Headphones

    Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

  29. #429
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    158

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Our older Bengal (well, 2.5 years old) loves to listen to music with me. She actually has her own chair in the music room .

    Marleigh (156).jpg

    No, we don't spoil our pets at all .
    I'm not a cat person but that is a beautiful cat!
    Preamp; Pass Labs XP-22 with w/ Audioquest Dragon source PC (C15)
    Interconnects; Nordost Valhalla V2 XLR
    SACD Player/DAC; Esoteric K-01XD w/ Shunyata Omega QRs PC (C15)
    Music Server/Streamer; Aurender N20 w/ Shunyata Omega QRs PC (C15)
    Digital cables; Shunyata Sigma V2 Clock (50 Ω & 75 Ω), Nordost Valhalla V2 S/PDIF
    Amplifier;Westminster Lab Rei Monoblock w/ Westminster Lab Ultra PC (C15) x 2
    Speakers; Magico A5 w/Apods, Westminster Lab Ultra speaker cable
    Power; Shunyata Everest 8000 w/ Sigma XC PC (C19)
    Grounding; Nordost QKore6 w/ premium and standard grounding wires
    Master Clock; Cybershaft OP21A-D Ultra Precision OCXO 10MHz w/ UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply
    Network switch; Nordost QNET 5 Port Network Switch w/ QNet Stand and Nordost TC SORT Kones, Shunyata Omega Ethernet

  30. #430
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mxk116 View Post
    I'm not a cat person but that is a beautiful cat!
    Thank you... she is my baby, and she loves sharing the recliner with me and listening to music. She also has her own chair in the music room . If you are not familiar with Bengals they are originally a hybrid; crossed with Asian Leopards. A pure breed Bengal is about 75% Leopard! They are the sweetest most friendly cats I have ever seen. They are also very fast, agile, and athletic. Pure muscle. Loki is still in the baby fuzzy stage. In a few months he will get his adult coat which is more like pelt than fur... Very soft and literally glows in the sunlight! They are also hypoallergenic and are much easier on people with cat allergies.

    Loki we recently got from a breeder in the Kansas City area. Unfortunately, he came down with a bad virus that is rare and almost always in kittens. Adults are immune to it. He is fighting it like a champ, but it is a very hard treatment.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  31. #431
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    Once again very nice.

    Randy, when do you listen to the cans vs the speaker system? I just recently started getting into the headphones thing and enjoying it. In my case it suits some specific purposes including late-night listening or listening when the main system room is being used for movies. I thought it was going to be a sort of begrudging arrangement but have to admit, I’m really liking it.
    Do you power the Abyss AB1266 with the Schiit Lyr+ amplifier? That is awesome that the Schiit amps can power such amazing high-end headphones! In my view they are the finest headphone on the market!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  32. #432
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    639

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    I have been, but I’m just at the start of this headphone journey so have little to compare to.

    Sounds great to me, but I suspect using the Lyr+ with the Abyss is leaving something on the table than one of the more typical - and more expensive - amp choices for the Abyss. It’s all an evolution and learning experience at this point, but so far an enjoyable one.
    Main System

    Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

    Headphones

    Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

  33. #433
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: New photos of Randy's system ...

    Your Abyss are highly regarded and, in many publications, considered the finest headphone that money can buy. They would be my dream; however, my Diana's are their close baby sister . They can also be used portable which the AB1266 probably could not be.

    Yes, a higher end headphone amplifier would probably make your cans sing even better, however, the Schiit are pretty amazing. They really surprise me. I have had some much higher headphone amp and the Schiit hold their own. I know the guys at Abyss are real fans of Woo, Eleven Audio and HeadAmp. I have owned the Woo WA22 and the HeadAmp GS-X mini. Both were excellent... I probably miss the Woo the most, but I have made the decision that I prefer to not have tubes in my life at this time.

    If I went back to tubes, it might possibly be the McIntosh . I have also been seriously thinking about the Schiit Mjolnir.

    But seriously, one thing that is really missing with the Lyr+ is that it is single ended in (RCA plugs) and single ended out (1/4 plug). Balanced in from your source (which honest, all BS aside, is an issue with your Chord Hugo 2 in that it is only single ended RCA outputs) and balanced out to your headphones (I use a 4-pin Black Dragon cable) makes a pretty substantial difference. I will no longer consider an amplifier that is not fully balanced.

    My setup, which of course is not the end all setups to say the least, I have all sources coming into the pre-amp. The McIntosh pre-amp has multiple outputs that are selectable. I have Output 1 going to the McIntosh amplifier (balanced cables) and Output 1 line outputs going to the subs. Output 2 (balanced cables) goes to the headphone amplifier. Therefore, I can select whatever I want to listen to whether it be the speaker setup (Output 1) or the headphone setup (Output 2).
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New photos of Randy's system ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •