Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 351 to 400 of 408
  1. #351
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Charles I feel your pain with your upcoming move. I moved this past year but gained a much better listening space. Will this be the case at your new place? Good luck with the new transition.
    Thank you. We're still packing and dealing with tons of paper work as usual, but we're getting closer.

    Yes, I think the new room will be better. My current room is 11.5' x 15.5' with an 8' ceiling. The new room will be 13' x 21', again with an 8' ceiling. The only real issue that I will have to deal with is with the TV. The wall where the system will be, there's a rather larger window right in the middle of that wall, so I obviously won't be able to mount the TV up high like it is now. I'm going to have to have it on a stand of some sort, which stinks. I'm sure I'll figure it out one way or another.
    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  2. #352
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Here's the system in our (new to us) home that we just purchased. I changed things up a bit with the system, pulling the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 amp out and bringing back these little NuPrime STA-9 amps. Also brought back the Polk Audio PSW-505 subs. It's hard to tell from the pics, but the main speakers are pulled 5' out from the wall, and they can come out further if need be. So far, so good, for only living in the house for a week.







    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  3. #353
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Been playing with speaker/sub placement a lot more lately, as well as crossover and gain settings on the subs. The speakers front baffles are now just over 6 feet from the front wall, the subs are about an additional 8 inches further out than in these pictures. Tweaking width spacing and toe in about 1/4 inch intervals, this system is finally creating an extremely realistic, holographic sound stage with great depth, width and pretty decent height. With the right recordings, the speakers completely disappear as well as the subs.

    I'm really enjoying the system in this new, larger room/house.









    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  4. #354
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    181

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Your furry pal seems to be “ digging “ the sound in your new room......looking very nice by the way.....

    Cheers.....
    INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: OWNER/PRESIDENT OF
    QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS
    www.quintessenceacoustics.com

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Maui
    Posts
    123

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....


  6. #356
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Looking good Charles...
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  7. #357
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Glad your new room is working well. Congrats and enjoy!
    _______________

    Mike

    Amplification: MBL 6010D MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: VPI Avenger VPI Fatboy 12” Ortofon Windfeld TI
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

  8. #358
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by MRJAZZ View Post
    Your furry pal seems to be “ digging “ the sound in your new room......looking very nice by the way.....

    Cheers.....
    That's Charlie. She's my little music listening buddy. In fact, she's on the couch with me right now digging a new jazz album on Qobuz (Catch The Wind by Herb Alpert).
    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  9. #359
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Glad your new room is working well. Congrats and enjoy!
    Thanks, Mike! I'm glad this new room is working out as well. It's great to finally have a decent sized, solid room. There will definitely be acoustic room treatments for this room in the future.
    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  10. #360
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    I brought out my custom white quartz slabs that I had made several years back, and put them under the NuPrime amps. And of course, some of the kitties laying around enjoying the system with me.





    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  11. #361
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    The AV123 (GR Research) X-Statik's are back in play!





    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  12. #362

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    I like the look of those Charles.

  13. #363
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    I like the look of those Charles.
    You should hear them.
    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  14. #364
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    A few more new pics with better lighting...











    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  15. #365
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    I did a thing...

    I've been wanting to put some gear on the side wall (if not all of it at some point minus the amp and TV). When we first moved in to the new house, I tried this setup but kept getting a bunch of buzzing coming through the speakers clearly heard at the listening seat even though I'm running fully balanced, using two pairs of pro-grade Pig Hog 30 ft XLR cables. Not being able to solve the issue, I just put everything on the front wall using standard 1 meter Nordost and Wireworld XLRS. Even then, when getting up close to the tweeters, you could still a very slight buzzing coming through.

    Well yesterday, I tried moving things around again and stripped the system down to only the preamp, amps and speakers. Again, I had the buzz. I tried different wall outlets, and even lifted the ground on one end or both ends with no effect.

    I swapped the Schiit Freya+ for my Topping A90 headphone amp which is also fully balanced and can be switched over to preamp only mode. Tried that and I still had the buzz coming through the system, so moved the Freya+ back into the system. As a last ditch effort, I pulled the NuPrime STA-9 amps and put my Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 amp into the mix. The result?... Pure silence! I mean pure silence as in I had to double check to make sure I actually had the speakers connected to the amp! No buzz, no hum, no hiss, no nothing! And that's with my ears right up against the tweeters practically!

    I connected the Bifrost 2 DAC with another pair of Pig Hog 30 ft XLR's, still no noise. Connected the Sony Blu-ray, the Raspberry Pi4, the Roku Ultra, the TV, powered everything up... Still completely silent!

    So it seems that either the balanced inputs on the NuPrime amps aren't wired correctly, or they are not differential inputs, OR they are not true balanced inputs at all. Either way, they are out of the system, the Emotiva is back in the system. And being able to hear both amps in the same room and system configuration, surprisingly the Emotiva has more and tighter bass (had to turn the gains down a touch on the subs), a more refined top end while remaining airy and spacious, and an ever so slightly fuller midrange. Imaging seems to be about the same, though stage depth and width is a little better. BTW, the Emotiva amp does in fact utilize true balanced differential inputs.

    Who knew that Emotiva was able to create an amplifier (a massive 75 pound amplifier I might add) that is capable of exceeding the performance of a pair of amplifiers at double to price (two amps). The NuPrime STA-9's were $900 each new, the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 was also $900 new.

    Anywho, on with some pics...







    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  16. #366
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    A few more pics from this morning...





    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  17. #367
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Looking good Charles!
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  18. #368
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Don't mins the mess. We had family over last night. On that note, the Christmas Tree does in fact good ole' fashion bubble lights on it!



    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  19. #369
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Made a "pair" of upgrades in the way of a couple SVS PB-1000 Pro subs. Haven't really had any time to dial them in yet. Just plopped them in, made preliminary adjustments, and let them go. I'll really dig into the settings and DSP tomorrow hopefully.







    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  20. #370
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    28,768

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Looks great! I love their round subs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Block Audio, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Enleum (Bakoon), Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  21. #371
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    1,036

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Great looking setup! Are the baffles on the GR speakers solid wood or veneer? How do they compare to what you have had in your system? Thanks
    Marty

    Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

  22. #372
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Looks great! I love their round subs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thank you, Mike. I've always liked their round subs as well. In fact, one of my brothers had a pair some years back. Though with five cats with extremely sharp little daggers, I don't think the cloth socks on those subs would last very long.
    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  23. #373
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Great looking setup! Are the baffles on the GR speakers solid wood or veneer? How do they compare to what you have had in your system? Thanks
    Thank you, Marty! The open baffles on these X-Statik's are 1.5" thick HDF with wood veneer on them.

    Over the years, I have had speakers such as Klipsch Cornwall II's and Heresy IV's, NHT 2.9's, Definitive Tech BP10's, several DIY large format open baffle speakers, Magnepan MGLR-1's, my brother's Maggie 1.7i's briefly, Martin Logan SL-3's, and countless various other more traditional loudspeakers throughout the years.

    With that being said, for the 13+ years that I've owned these X-Statik's (now with fully upgraded crossovers), I keep coming back to them. They have the most natural, open sound of any of the speakers with the least amount of room interaction. Not to mention they excel at dynamic swings. Oddly enough, even more so than the Klipsch!

    If and when I upgrade from these speakers, it will be the GR-Research NX-Otica's or possibly even the NX-Treme's. There's just something about Danny Richie's loudspeaker designs, voicing and crossover design prowess, and the custom Peerless drivers he uses. Danny knows a thing or two about creating loudspeaker giant killers.
    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  24. #374
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    465

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    another 'Expanse' fan. 1 episode to go...
    KEF Blade, Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller

  25. #375
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    another 'Expanse' fan. 1 episode to go...
    Very much so! And yes, unfortunately only one episode left.
    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  26. #376
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    I moved some of my gear further down the side wall, as in all the way to the back of the wall. The dust hasn't settled yet and the speakers/subs may end up moving some more (maybe moving the subs inboard to see how that deals with room modes and such). Now that the front of the room is a lot more symmetrical, there's a definite improvement in stage width and imaging which I knew would happen. It's just that when we moved in, I just kind of threw things in the room and went with it for a while.

    However, now that the front of the room is sorted so to speak, there's a lot more flexibility in playing with speaker/sub placement to get things really dialed in. Not to mention that this also prepares the room better for some room acoustic treatments a little later down the road.

    I have to say, SVS has come a long, long, LONG way in the musicality department since the days of my old PB12-ISD/2 and PB12-Plus/2 subs. They were great for movies, but for music?... Forget it. Slow, sluggish, heavy sounding with music. Definitely not so with these new PB-1000 Pro's. Tight, agile, crisp!

    Anywho, on with a few pics. And yes, that one of the audio rack and timer, that's 4:50am! Sucks when you can't sleep half the time.





    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  27. #377
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Sweet sounding Raytheon/Baldwin 6SN7's and 12AU7's.

    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  28. #378
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    I got some 1958 Baldwin's for my pre-amp that were manufactured by Sylvania.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  29. #379
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I got some 1958 Baldwin's for my pre-amp that were manufactured by Sylvania.
    I had a pair of the Sylvania/Baldwin tubes before, but feel that the Raytheon versions have a bit meatier, liquid sound with better extension on both ends of the spectrum. You might want to try a pair for yourself. You might just prefer them.
    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  30. #380
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Thanks for the recommendation Charles.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  31. #381
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Spent the past five plus hours playing around with REW and my new Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic, attempting to dial in my system. I'll be the first to admit this room is in need of some major help.

    The GR-Research X-Statik's create a huge peak at 74Hz. Keep in mind, these are sealed loudspeakers, and positioned 6' in front of the front wall and just over 3' from the side walls. Even when just by themselves, there's a huge hole that shows up between 35Hz to 50Hz! In any of the other rooms I've had these speakers in over the past 13 years, I've never seem huge peaks and dips like this before.

    With the subs active, there's still a huge hole at 43Hz. Also, to help reduce that hole, I had to move the subs back towards the front wall. They are only about 1.5' away from the wall now, instead of the near 6' they were previously when positioned along side the mains. To get a smoother, cleaner transition from the subs to the mains, I had to cross the subs over at 72Hz with a 24dB slope, then dial them in with phase adjustments.

    Whenever I get more time, I'll set everything up again and do some more measurements and tuning. It certainly doesn't look good on paper, but there is a vast improvement in overall sound quality over just the "throw them in and tune by ear" method I did when I got these subs. Which is also how I've been listening to them for the past couple months that I've owned them now.

    Anyway, a few graphs to chat over...

    Mains by themselves...



    With subs...



    The two above combined, and limited to 200Hz...



    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  32. #382
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Changed things up once again... Now running a pair of Revel Concerta2 M16's and my old AudioQuest CV-8 speaker cables. One word... Wow!







    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  33. #383
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....








  34. #384
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    Now running a pair of Revel Concerta2 M16's and my old AudioQuest CV-8 speaker cables. One word... Wow!
    I have a pair myself...for blind testing. Excellent speakers.

  35. #385
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post






    Hey Charles... what is this piece? I honestly am not sure . Preamp?
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  36. #386
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    1,506

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Hey Charles... what is this piece? I honestly am not sure . Preamp?
    Looks like the Quad Artera preamp: Artera Pre - Quad

  37. #387
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Thx... I thought it looks like a pre. I thought Charles loved his Schitt!
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  38. #388
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    I have a pair myself...for blind testing. Excellent speakers.
    They truly are, well balanced and refined, though I do have something else coming. Something bigger and better. Something that should hopefully interact better with the room, or rather not interact.

  39. #389
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Thx... I thought it looks like a pre. I thought Charles loved his Schitt!
    I did, but wanted to move away from tubes.

  40. #390
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Understand that. I recently have moved completely away from all tubes myself. 100% solid state now.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  41. #391
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    And for another, rather major update/upgrade... Some nice, new Magnepan 1.7i's!

    Since these two pics earlier this evening, the Maggies have swapped sides so now that tweeters are on the inside. Lots more tweaking to come over the weekend.




  42. #392
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Very nice Charles.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  43. #393
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Understand that. I recently have moved completely away from all tubes myself. 100% solid state now.
    Not that I don't like tubes. As you may know, I leave my system up and running literally 24/7, and with the Schiit Freya+, I was able to turn the tubes on and off. But since I don't like having tubes on for only a few hours a day, I would keep them off all week and only have them on from Friday evening to Sunday evening (when I'm off work). This was fine, but it left me the entire week listening to the system in the evenings NOT to its fullest. It sucked only being able to fully enjoy the system on the weekends.

    Now having gone back to full solid state like you, I now have the freedom of listening to the system EVERY day at its fullest. So for me anyway, it works out much better in the end. Not to mention this new preamp sounds amazing.

  44. #394
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    I also have had tube gear that I enjoy. Several pieces have been quite finicky while the solid-state gear always seems to be solid. I have found that both SS and tube gear sound very good, so like you, I decided to go back to SS for reasons not related purely to sound.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  45. #395
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I also have had tube gear that I enjoy. Several pieces have been quite finicky while the solid-state gear always seems to be solid. I have found that both SS and tube gear sound very good, so like you, I decided to go back to SS for reasons not related purely to sound.
    Luckily, I never had issues with the preamp, but I did have a few matched pairs of tubes that were either very microphonic or would end up getting noisy after they warmed up to full temp. Even had one pair were one of the tubes would start making a whistling/ringing sound after a couple of hours. So those were another reason to move away from tubes.

    And I have to say, after replacing the Freya+ with the Artera Pre, with everything else remaining the same in the system (a.k.a. - before the Maggies), the was a very substantial improvement in sound with the Quad preamp. It offers greater inner detail and layering, a bit more warmth and body, and the sound stage is simply larger and deeper. And of course, now with the Maggies, even more so.

    I'm quite pleasantly surprised with the Emotiva amp. Not only does it have plenty of power and current to drive the Maggies with ease (500w x 2 @ 4 ohms), the Quad and Maggies show how good this amp really is. Even at volumes of 100+ dB, the sound remains controlled, clean and effortless sounding with zero strain or fatigue. However, that's not to say if I come across a Sanders Sound Magtech amp at a great price that I won't snag it up and replace the Emotiva with it.

    But for now, I have no complaints with this "cheap mid-fi" amp. It's well built and sounds damn good for what it is. A lot better than I thought it would.

  46. #396
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Been playing with positioning all day yesterday and today. These massive Maggies (massive for this room anyway) are doing the incredible disappearing act, and I've got the subs integrated perfectly. Solid center image, all of the bass benefits from the Maggies, and getting that low end foundation from 45Hz on down from the subs. Man, I'm really digging this!




  47. #397
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Maggie's are nice speakers for sure!
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  48. #398
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    They certainly are.

  49. #399
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Picked up this super mint, fully restored Pioneer RT-1020L from my father over the weekend. This is one of the many reasons why I decided to purchase the Quad Artera preamp as it has what they call an RCA "AUX" preamp output, which completely bypass the volume, so it gets full signal from all of the inputs, including the balanced input. Pretty much like a "tape loop" on old preamps and receivers from back in the day. I have a couple of Ampex 456 tapes, though I have no idea what's on them if anything. Guess I'll find out in the next couple of days or coming weekend.

    Soon will come another Pangea rack for a couple cassette decks, dbx goodies and turntable, as well as the hunt beginning for some RTR tapes. Also have to get some new interconnects as the Wireworld Oasis ones I have, the machined ends on them are too thick to fit comfortably in the jacks on the Pioneer. Those jacks are just placed slightly too close together.

    Anywho, on with some pics...







    QUAD Artera Pre | Schiit Bifrost 2 | Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 | Raspberry Pi 4 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Pioneer RT-1020L | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

  50. #400
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

    Looks awesome Charles! Congrats.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | HeadAmp GS-X Mini | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Chops' Current System Pics ....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •