PDA

View Full Version : Shunyata Hydra AV review

BlueFox
June 2, 2013, 04:57 AM
Thursday, I replaced a Panamax M5300-PM with a Shunyata Hydra AV in my HT. This powers everything except for the TV, and the sub, which gets used 3-4 time a year. The Panamax was powered by a Ztron Cobra, which was moved to the amp. The Hydra is powered by a Ztron Python, and is connected to a dedicated 20 amp line. In addition to these changes, last weekend I removed the hard-wired cord on my TV and replaced it with a Furtech IEC connector so I can upgrade the TV power cord. A Ztron Cobra is on order, and for now I am using a Pangea AC14SE cord.

Now to business. I just watched Terminator 3, which is one of my reference Blu-Rays along with Avatar, which I just came from. With the above changes, I am impressed. It is as if I have a new TV, and the sound quality has bumped up a notch.

For review purposes I use the scene where the Terminatrix arrives, steps out of the window, and you hear her feet slap on the concrete. Then comes the chase scene which gives the audio and video a good workout. The clincher tonight was the scene in the campground after the cemetery escape. I have returned DVD players in the past for botching this scene. The campground is in the shade, and it must noon since the sun is really lighting up the scenery not in the shade. There is no loss in detail looking between the shaded areas, and areas out in the sun. It is very smooth. For whatever reason, I have seen this scene washed out in the past. The shade looked okay, but the sun area was washed out white. Now it is perfect.

My Blu-Ray player is an Oppo 93, the TV is a calibrated 2004 57" Hitachi digital monitor, the amp is a Sunfire TGA-5400, the pre/pro is an Onkyo SC5509, interconnects are low end MITs, and speaker cables are Mapleshade Double Helix Clearview with Plus.

Anyway, between the TV getting a better power cord, and the Oppo getting better power, I feel like I have a new TV. The picture is clearer, brighter, and much more detailed, and it appears adding cleaner power to the pre and amp, along with a better power cord to the amp, has upped the sound quality. Voices are clear and pronounced, effects in all channels are more apparent, and both stereo and surround sound has moved up.

I cannot say enough how impressed I am with Shunyata products. As I have added their gear in both my stereo and HT I have seen an order of magnitude improvement. Without a doubt, power is a component, and if you neglect it then you have no idea what you are missing.

the professor
June 2, 2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the review.

I need to try some Shunyata on my TV

Mike
June 2, 2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the review! Shunyata is hitting on all strides these days.

MDP
June 6, 2013, 02:17 PM
Bud, great post !! I'm with you on Shunyata, great stuff !!

BlueFox
June 15, 2013, 10:43 PM
A quick follow up to the review in regard to the TV. After this earlier review I ordered a Shunyata 2 port Talos power conditioner to replace the Panamax I was using for the TV and the sub. Currently, The Cable Company is having a special on these where you get a "free" Shunyata Venom HC power cable (20 amp connector) with the Talos. Additionally, I replaced the Pangea power cord on the TV with a Shunyata Ztron Cobra power cable.

Well, along with upgrades I did to the power for the electronics, this took my 2004 monitor to another level. I watched Avatar, and just burst out laughing with pleasure at the color and detail I am seeing in this picture. Of course, it was there before, but now it seems as if I am immersed in the scene. It is just amazing. If this experience is simply my mind playing tricks on me then give me more of that placebo, since it works.

Mike
June 15, 2013, 10:44 PM
Congrats! Thanks for the follow up. Glad you are still tickled pink!

BlueFox
June 15, 2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks. I am currently in audio/video heaven. The really funny part here is a few years ago I was pretty dubious of just how big an improvement power and power cables could make. Now I realize power is the foundation upon which a system is built.

Mike
June 15, 2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks. I am currently in audio/video heaven. The really funny part here is a few years ago I was pretty dubious of just how big an improvement power and power cables could make. Now I realize power is the foundation upon which a system is built.

No arguments here! I just installed the Furutech GTX-D wall outlets (from Jeff) and backgrounds are much blacker.

joeinid
June 16, 2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks Bud. I'm very happy you've seen and heard great improvements in your system.