PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners insurance for NY recommendations?

joeinid
May 27, 2013, 09:12 PM
I need to find a new provider. Any ideas? Thanks!

GaryProtein
May 27, 2013, 09:35 PM
If you are a veteran, I recommend USAA.

joeinid
May 27, 2013, 09:39 PM
If you are a veteran, I recommend USAA.

I'm not. My dad was, does my mom still qualify? Amica was rated highly, just above USAA.

GaryProtein
May 27, 2013, 09:42 PM
What is Amica? I never heard of them.

If your father was a veteran, you are probably eligible.

joeinid
May 27, 2013, 09:44 PM
Best Homeowners Insurance | Top Picks and Reviews at ConsumerSearch (http://www.consumersearch.com/homeowners-insurance)

Amica Insurance - Home Insurance (http://www.amica.com/products/productsHome.html)

joeinid
May 27, 2013, 09:44 PM
What is Amica? I never heard of them.

If your father was a veteran, you are probably eligible.

Thanks !

I'll call tomorrow.

Face
May 28, 2013, 02:30 PM
I use Allstate since I also have them for car insurance and receive a combo discount. I've only made one claim in the last 8 years of ownership, it was for close to $8k and Allstate didn't give me any trouble.

joeinid
May 28, 2013, 02:44 PM
I use Allstate since I also have them for car insurance and receive a combo discount. I've only made one claim in the last 8 years of ownership, it was for close to $8k and Allstate didn't give me any trouble.

Thanks Mike. I am waiting for the broker to make a recommendation. I called today and they are aware of the company dropping clients.

Face
May 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
Now that you mention it, I do recall a rumor of them dropping clients who live in your geographic location due to them being at a higher risk(low elevation, close to shore). :(

Jeffkad
May 28, 2013, 03:40 PM
You are certainly north of flood waters there, aren't you? I have used Nationwide for many many years and they have always been good to me. The Tampellini agency (used to be in Seaford, now in Amityville)

joeinid
May 28, 2013, 04:02 PM
Mike,

Yes. I think they are trying to get out of future losses.

Jeff,

Thank you for your recommendation. In all the past storms I've been lucky. Brief losses of power but certainly no flood worries.

Jay
May 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
I just got a policy through Travelers, and have a good broker based in Long Island. I can PM you his contact info if you like?

joeinid
May 29, 2013, 01:26 AM
I just got a policy through Travelers, and have a good broker based in Long Island. I can PM you his contact info if you like?

Thanks Jay.