PDA

View Full Version : Avid Diva II SP or VPi Prime?

Kuoppis
February 22, 2016, 10:12 AM
Asking for views from the more seasoned analogistas: English or American?

Avid Diva II SP: Pros are included current management for motor, better bearings and hence steadier speed.

Vpi Prime: Pro is the new 3D tonearm, current management for motor is extra.

Both good designs alltogether, with a slight upper hand on manufacturing quality for the Avid.

Experiences so far with suitable cartridges...

Any thoughts?

MDP
February 22, 2016, 10:40 AM
The 3D arm on my Avenger was quite an eye opening experience. The Prime is considered by many to play way above its price point, combine it and a Cadenza Bronze and enjoy!

Kuoppis
February 22, 2016, 10:48 PM
The 3D arm on my Avenger was quite an eye opening experience. The Prime is considered by many to play way above its price point, combine it and a Cadenza Bronze and enjoy!

Thanks for the insight, I've understood the 3D tonearm is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kuoppis
February 23, 2016, 04:12 PM
Well, in the meantime I have concluded that the Prime is the one.

Wntrmute2
February 23, 2016, 08:06 PM
^ Care to share why you decided on the Prime vs the Diva?

Kuoppis
February 24, 2016, 04:54 AM
The Avid has some technical merits on the mechanical engineering side, very nice CNC milling. The platter sits on a conus shaft and a high quality diamond bearing on the top, above the platter. Sounds really good, but through the construction it has quite a bit of inertia, causing the whole system to require a little more torque to spin. So, the Avid has a quite strong motor for this purpose to compensate. As a result the torque can be heard in a more mechanical sound as well, mids are slightly recessed, all together I find it is playing less open.

The Prime has a 30% heavier platter and a more common bearing on the bottom (it does require three drops of oil every 12 months, while the Avid is maintenance free). Less fancy mechanically, but it's what has been successfully used before in all top models. The lower center of gravity, however, gives the platter a higher flywheel effect and this provides the music with a better flow.

Both are belt driven, but the Diva II SP comes standard with a power regenerating synchronous power supply, while to achieve the same, the Prime needs to add the extra SDS upgrade to the motor. So, here we have a cost advantage for the Avid.

On the tonearm side however, the Prime comes standard with the really exquisite 10" JWD 3D tonearm, while the Avid needs to add one. This propels the Prime into another sphere and it will also add more than double the cost of the SDS power supply to the Diva to achieve the same.

As to the actually important part, I felt the Prime plays with better flow, dynamics and soundstage overall. For the lack of a better explanation, playing records on the Prime and the Diva II SP, is like playing a golf swing vs. trying to hit the ball with force. Well, we all know what the result is :).

Wntrmute2
February 24, 2016, 08:26 AM
Phoenix Engineering makes a PSU and Tachometer combo that works well on VPIs for half the cost of the SDS. Has a feedback loop of you get both to keep speed very stable. There are two PSUS make sure to get the proper sized one. The falcon is the smaller and the eagle is the larger of the PSUs.
http://www.phoenix-engr.com/#!/

Kuoppis
February 24, 2016, 04:09 PM
Phoenix Engineering makes a PSU and Tachometer combo that works well on VPIs for half the cost of the SDS. Has a feedback loop of you get both to keep speed very stable. There are two PSUS make sure to get the proper sized one. The falcon is the smaller and the eagle is the larger of the PSUs.
http://www.phoenix-engr.com/#!/

Wow, this is interesting info. The point is not only that the SDS sets you back a good pile of change, but the motor also needs a rework. So in Europe it totals to about €2100,- for the SDS and the motor re-work.

So, which of the Phoenix boxes is the right one for the VPI Prime? And does the motor still need the re-work?

Wntrmute2
February 25, 2016, 05:29 PM
Wow, this is interesting info. The point is not only that the SDS sets you back a good pile of change, but the motor also needs a rework. So in Europe it totals to about €2100,- for the SDS and the motor re-work.

So, which of the Phoenix boxes is the right one for the VPI Prime? And does the motor still need the re-work?

I would go for the Eagle as it is powerful enough. But regarding the rework, calling or contacting Phoenix will be the only way to know. Let us know what you find out.

Kuoppis
February 26, 2016, 07:56 AM
There's also a German guy who builds something similar himself from top-shelve parts, Dr B Fuss. Also an interesting alternative.

I now understood the motor rework is only required, as the SDS supports both 110V and 230V power, but only 110V motors. So with neither the Eagle + Roadrunner (sweet, I think I will go with that one) or the Dr. Fuss solution is a motor rework required.

Kuoppis
February 26, 2016, 07:58 AM
I would go for the Eagle as it is powerful enough. But regarding the rework, calling or contacting Phoenix will be the only way to know. Let us know what you find out.

Thank you for sharing btw and the recommendation.