PDA

View Full Version : Does McIntosh give any notice ahead of time when they discontinue a product? ...

joeinid
February 13, 2016, 02:09 PM
I don't remember from past gear, but does anyone know if McIntosh give a heads up so final orders can be placed? :D

Golucid
February 13, 2016, 04:24 PM
I would think Mike might know...he is the wiki of ordering products :)

jdandy
February 13, 2016, 04:32 PM
Joe.......McIntosh has always played their cards close to their chest. They don't care to readily provide information to the general public. It has been my experience that Audio Classics in Vestal, New York is more inclined to give you the information about discontinued product and ones that are about to be discontinued. They are just up the road from the McIntosh factory and have an inside track when it comes to McIntosh information. Your best bet would be to call Audio Classics and speak to Mike Sastra.

Golucid
February 13, 2016, 04:43 PM
Mike rocks. Terrific guy and exceedingly knowledgable and helpful.

Steve
February 13, 2016, 06:45 PM
I believe C1000 and MCD1100 are now discontinued and are stuff of legend.

Golucid
February 13, 2016, 06:52 PM
Steve, Ron C with McIntosh told me in person the MCD1100 was laid to rest summer 2015. I was not aware the C1000 was discontinued officially.

Steve
February 13, 2016, 07:03 PM
The C1100 appears to be a nice pre-amp that is a bit more fundamentally tubey than the C1000T. It has twice as many balanced XLR outputs which is a problem for the C1000 especially if you are not running both T&P. There's an improved headphone amp also.

As for the finish, poor execution compared to it's flagship predecessors.

Oh well, there are other brands of distinction....

Golucid
February 13, 2016, 07:28 PM
...there are other brands of distinction....

+10! As McIntosh completes for the Panasonic, Sony and Bose audience, there are many other reference brand options.