PDA

View Full Version : Shunyata Research Sigma Power Cables named AC Power Cord of the Year in TAS

ReferenceAudioMN
December 1, 2015, 03:15 PM
Check out the newest issue of The Absolute Sound just out today.:congrats:

the professor
December 1, 2015, 06:27 PM
Congrats.

I love that Power cord. And in the realm of top name brand power cords - it's a great price.

ReferenceAudioMN
December 1, 2015, 06:32 PM
Congrats.

I love that Power cord. And in the realm of top name brand power cords - it's a great price.
Agreed! (PS I love your line about integrity)

madfloyd
December 1, 2015, 06:48 PM
Anyone carefully compare it to the Alpha version? I couldn't hear a difference...

BlueFox
December 1, 2015, 07:19 PM
Anyone carefully compare it to the Alpha version? I couldn't hear a difference...

Was this when you had the transformers on your AC line?

I love my Shunyata system. It makes the stereo, not the gear. It allows the gear to work at its optimum.

When I upgraded from a Zitron Cobra to an Alpha Digital on my original file player, Bryston BDP-1, I was amazed at the improvement. Later when I went to the Sigma Digital, the improvement was small compared to what I heard with the Alpha Digital, but it was there.

hifidelitea
December 1, 2015, 10:21 PM
I had that opportunity to A/B the Sigma and the Alpha power cords in a showroom system, and there was a difference. The Sigmas was much airy and the soundstage opened up. It was also quieter and the instruments were more detailed and accurate. The Alpha appeared to be restricted and had less space and depth.
That listening session convinced me to the Sigmas, tho' it was a huge price difference over the Alphas. i realized that it was an investment to make to really bring out the best from my system.

madfloyd
December 1, 2015, 10:49 PM

No, it was somewhat recent. I started with the Sigma Digital. My digital isn't great to start with and the Sigma didn't make me love it any more. :-)

I did get one Sigma Analog and 2 Sigma HC. I ended up selling one HC because I was desperate for funds... so now one amp has a Sigma and the other the Alpha. :-) I'm reticent to part with the Sigmas because I'm afraid one day I'll hear the difference and regret it.

Ritmo
December 1, 2015, 11:00 PM
I'm getting a Sigma Analog for my DAG pre. Already have a Sigma HC for the Triton - made a significant improvement over Anaconda. Plan to get another Sigma HC to replace the Anaconda I have on the DAG amp. These cables are fantastic.

Joe P
December 1, 2015, 11:24 PM
PI Audio recently came out with a devise called the DigiBuss, which is designed to keep noise from digital equipment plugged into it from entering the AC line.

It can handle 6 digital components and cost a lot less than a SR Digital Power Cord.

ReferenceAudioMN
December 1, 2015, 11:56 PM
I had the Alpha Zitron HC cables previously though have not yet heard the Sigmas.
They should be arriving early next week. Will then have to suffer through the ups and downs of run in time, but will follow up with any thoughts and experience once they've settled with the M28s. Anyone tried a Sigma Digital on a Bryston BDP-1 or BDP-2?

Ritmo
December 2, 2015, 06:42 AM
I had the Alpha Zitron HC cables previously though have not yet heard the Sigmas.
They should be arriving early next week. Will then have to suffer through the ups and downs of run in time, but will follow up with any thoughts and experience once they've settled with the M28s. Anyone tried a Sigma Digital on a Bryston BDP-1 or BDP-2?

I had the Alpha Digital with the BDP-2. It was a really good combo. My assumption is that the Sigma would be a step up beyond the Alpha.

ctop
December 2, 2015, 11:28 AM
The Sigmas was much airy and the soundstage opened up. It was also quieter and the instruments were more detailed and accurate. The Alpha appeared to be restricted and had less space and depth.
That listening session convinced me to the Sigmas, tho' it was a huge price difference over the Alphas. i realized that it was an investment to make to really bring out the best from my system.

Exactly what I heard when I connected a Sigma HC from the wall to a Triton V2

BlueFox
December 2, 2015, 01:01 PM
Anyone tried a Sigma Digital on a Bryston BDP-1 or BDP-2?

When I upgraded from a Zitron Cobra to an Alpha Digital on my original file player, Bryston BDP-1, I was amazed at the improvement. Later when I went to the Sigma Digital, the improvement was small compared to what I heard with the Alpha Digital, but it was there.

Does this help?

ReferenceAudioMN
December 3, 2015, 06:15 PM
Does this help?

Yes. Thank you.
We are going to order another Sigma Digital to use on the Bryston BDP-2.
Using a dedicated 15 amp line that feeds the Bricasti M1 DAC and also the BDP-2.
Curious to see how much noise the BDP-2 is throwing back onto the line and affecting the DAC...?

BlueFox
December 3, 2015, 09:13 PM
Apparently, the BDP-1 was adding a lot of noise. Interestingly, when I added a Digital to the Auralic Vega DAC, there was no difference. Adding it to the Oppo 103 produced a sharper, detailed picture with more vibrant colors.

ReferenceAudioMN
December 9, 2015, 12:25 AM
I installed the Sigma HC last night on each M28 amp and also a Venom Digital cable on the BDP-2. Hard to not use a lot of hyperbole to describe them. Truly impressed. Space and ease are so much more realistic when listening to live recordings.

Ritmo
December 9, 2015, 07:36 AM
Congratulations!

madfloyd
December 9, 2015, 08:32 AM
I installed the Sigma HC last night on each M28 amp and also a Venom Digital cable on the BDP-2. Hard to not use a lot of hyperbole to describe them. Truly impressed. Space and ease are so much more realistic when listening to live recordings.

This is without break in? Either way, congrats and thanks for following up!

Newmill
November 13, 2016, 08:37 PM

I love my Shunyata system. It makes the stereo, not the gear. It allows the gear to work at its optimum.

I'm curious, what kind of benefit did you see when the Alpha Digital was put onto the BDP-1. I am currently searching for a cable for mine. Shunyata never ceases to amaze me.