PDA

View Full Version : Audio Research REF 6 Preamp

Mike
October 16, 2015, 11:01 AM
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13311&d=1445007653

Reference 6: The Next Level of High Definition®

Almost since the inception of the brand, Audio Research has produced some of the finest components for music reproduction; this is especially true with regard to preamplifiers. In 1973, the SP3 was hailed as the best preamplifier available, and this tradition of excellence has continued ever since. The Reference Series from Audio Research was first introduced in 1995 and has been the ultimate representation of performance, musicality and power. The Reference 6 is the latest chapter of our story.

The Reference 6 is not simply a market-driven product, but rather, a solution to a need which arose after the creation of the Reference SE Series amplifiers. According to Warren Gehl, who is responsible for sonic development of all Audio Research products, the new series of Reference amplifiers offer a level of musical and dynamic capability only made apparent when using the flagship, two-chassis Reference 10 preamplifier. Both preamplifiers of the Reference Series need the ability to provide the full benefit of this new sonic landscape. Increasing the tube count to six in the analog section, and advancements in the power supply improved both macro- and microdynamics and lowered distortion. The Reference 6 also offers better bass control, relaxed purity and more dimensionality. Further improvements include a more grainless presentation, greater transparency, better speed, and more continuity across the musical spectrum. Quite simply, the Reference 6 improves upon its predecessor in every way for a more palpable and immediate musical performance.

Numerous elements – transformers, capacitors, wiring – are designs exclusive to Audio Research and the Reference 6. A completely new chassis has allowed not only a more beautiful aesthetic, but also provides more structural rigidity to assist in the dissipation of electrical and mechanical interferences. Six premium 6H30 tubes are now used in the audio circuit (increased from four tubes in the Reference 5SE) to provide an even quieter background and increased dynamic range. The tube-regulated power supply is also a new design for improved sonics. New circuit boards, circuit designs, and larger power transformer have been implemented to provide robustness and serviceability. A new volume control with finer step gradation and higher performance completes the system.

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13313&d=1445007811

The Reference 6 will prove to be an eye-opener, both sonically and visually. The first units, available in natural anodized aluminum with acrylic cover, begin shipping in November. Experience the next level of High Definition®.

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13312&d=1445007726

cmalak
October 16, 2015, 12:33 PM
Just saw the e-mail in my in-box. Don't like that they adopted the new GS styling in the Reference series.

joeinid
October 16, 2015, 03:59 PM
Just saw the e-mail in my in-box. Don't like that they adopted the new GS styling in the Reference series.

Ref 6 and GS150 could be a KILLER combo!

It's a good thing I'm not in the market for anything :rolleyes: :blush:

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13315&d=1445025922

Frank750
October 16, 2015, 04:00 PM

I agree with you, don't like the look.

XV-1
October 16, 2015, 05:40 PM
I know which look I prefer

http://www.my-hiend.com/leoyeh/2010b/arc40thtaa20.jpg

Bifwynne
October 16, 2015, 07:04 PM
Ref 6 and GS150 could be a KILLER combo!

It's a good thing I'm not in the market for anything :rolleyes: :blush:http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13315&d=1445025922

An A'gon buddy just sent me an e-mail with the same advance release announcement and pic that Mike posted above. I surmise that the Ref 6 may be a very different piece of kit than the Ref 5 SE. The ARC announcement, kindly provided by Mike, states that the Ref 6 has six (6) 6H30 audio tubes. I can only infer the circuit has been materially changed as well.

Guess we'll have to wait for reviews and user comments.

Bruce

joeinid
October 16, 2015, 07:06 PM
Bruce,

I think this could be a really nice preamp.

the professor
October 16, 2015, 08:18 PM
from the pics, it looks like it will match the GS series

Bifwynne
October 16, 2015, 08:30 PM
Bruce,

I think this could be a really nice preamp.

I bet you are right. This is not a just a "super-sooped" up Ref 3.

I just checked a pic of the Ref 10 on the ARCDB web site. Interestingly, the Ref 10 is essentially a dual mono design. But each side used only 4 audio tubes (6H30) in the gain circuit ... 2 audio tubes each side (probably 2 gain stages). I wonder what the Ref 6 will sound like with 6 tubes (6H30) in the gain stage. It might represent another gain stage (maybe 3 gain stages) ... not sure. Maybe a techie will chime in.

ARC's announcement, which Mike was kind enough to post, mentions that there are "advancements in the power supply." Can't even imagine what that could be .. more caps??? I'd like to see a pic of the innards.

Let's stay on top of this. Could be interesting.

BIF

Bifwynne
October 16, 2015, 08:35 PM
from the pics, it looks like it will match the GS series

Actually, when more information is released, I think you may be surprised. Yes ... it looks like a GS type amp on the outside. But based on reviews I have read about the GS Pre, it was pretty much a prettied-up Ref 5 SE, with a PH-8 phono pre shoved into one chassis. I am guessing the Ref 6 could be more ... much more. We'll have to wait until more information is released.

BIF

joeinid
October 16, 2015, 09:44 PM
The new McIntosh C110T has 3 tubes per channel for a total of 12 tubes (phono and line stage).

I bet you are right. This is not a just a "super-sooped" up Ref 3.

I just checked a pic of the Ref 10 on the ARCDB web site. Interestingly, the Ref 10 is essentially a dual mono design. But each side used only 4 audio tubes (6H30) in the gain circuit ... 2 audio tubes each side (probably 2 gain stages). I wonder what the Ref 6 will sound like with 6 tubes (6H30) in the gain stage. It might represent another gain stage (maybe 3 gain stages) ... not sure. Maybe a techie will chime in.

ARC's announcement, which Mike was kind enough to post, mentions that there are "advancements in the power supply." Can't even imagine what that could be .. more caps??? I'd like to see a pic of the innards.

Let's stay on top of this. Could be interesting.

BIF

highEndguy
October 16, 2015, 09:56 PM
My is on order
The countdown begins
:)

joeinid
October 16, 2015, 09:58 PM
My is on order
The countdown begins

:exciting:

Can't wait for your thoughts. This could be the one :D

bzr
October 17, 2015, 03:37 AM
"Joe", you aren't in what market? :D
"Nelson", you're so terrible!!! Look forward to your thoughts...

Ritmo
October 17, 2015, 07:33 AM
I tried posting a picture with an interior view of the Ref 6. It shows the 6 tubes as well as golden caps. Looks very attractive.

mep
October 17, 2015, 09:28 AM
My is on order
The countdown begins

MSRP?

XV-1
October 17, 2015, 09:44 AM
MSRP?

joeinid
October 17, 2015, 09:47 AM

Maybe I'm in the market? Hmmmm.

mep
October 17, 2015, 10:54 AM

That's only a $1k increase over the price of the Ref 5SE.

highEndguy
October 17, 2015, 10:57 AM
Now the GS150 can look in sync with the REF6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeinid
October 17, 2015, 11:01 AM
That's only a $1k increase over the price of the Ref 5SE.

So, any thoughts Mark? Worth considering the REF6?

joeinid
October 17, 2015, 11:01 AM
Now the GS150 can look in sync with the REF6

mep
October 17, 2015, 11:44 AM
So, any thoughts Mark? Worth considering the REF6?

Joe-I honestly have no idea. I just checked ARC's website and they are still showing the Ref 5SE and not the Ref 6. I would imagine that ARC is going to drop the Ref 5SE if the Ref 6 is supposed to be better and the price is oh so close. If the Ref 6 is truly better than the Ref 5SE, hats off to ARC for introducing a newer and better preamp at a very moderate price increase.

Mike
October 17, 2015, 11:47 AM
$14k MSRP

ctop
October 17, 2015, 11:58 AM
I would imagine that ARC is going to drop the Ref 5SE if the Ref 6 is supposed to be better and the price is oh so close. If the Ref 6 is truly better than the Ref 5SE, hats off to ARC for introducing a newer and better preamp at a very moderate price increase.

+1
Im sure a lot of Ref 5se owners like me would be watching this thread closely

mep
October 17, 2015, 12:44 PM
+1

One thing I would like to know is if the power supply in the Ref 6 still uses a 6550 tube.

mep
October 17, 2015, 12:50 PM
+1

One thing I would like to know is if the power supply in the Ref 6 still uses a 6550 tube. Stop the press: I just answered my own question when i did a net search. It uses a 6550 and a 6h30 in the power supply. The power transformer is supposed to be bigger and the Ref 6 weighs 6 lbs more than the Ref 5SE. ARC is saying the Ref 6 is a big improvement over the Ref 5SE. I will be most interested to say the least.

cmalak
October 17, 2015, 12:55 PM
Here are nudie pics from Mono and Stereo from our friend Wizard"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XYVhD9ep5WQ/ViFRBv8p4SI/AAAAAAABGNM/mBUoML2uL8s/s640/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-16%2Bat%2B21.26.35-1.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hOYZlzXT9_0/ViFRBszSZYI/AAAAAAABGNI/b0NpjfRku1w/s640/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-16%2Bat%2B21.27.29-1.jpg

The Reference Series from Audio Research was introduced in 1995 and has been the ultimate representation of performance, musicality and power. Beginning with the Reference 1, the Reference 6 now continues the tradition of using the most re ned circuit designs in concert with the highest quality parts and components. Numerous elements – transformers, capacitors, wiring – are designs exclusive to Audio Research and the Reference 6. A completely new chassis has allowed not only a more beautiful aesthetic, but also provides more structural rigidity to assist in the dissipation of electrical and mechanical interferences. Six premium 6H30 tubes are now used in the audio circuit (increased from four tubes in the Reference 5SE) to provide an even quieter background and increased dynamic range. The tube-regulated power supply is also a new design for improved sonics. New circuit boards, circuit designs, and larger power transformer have been implemented to provide robustness and serviceability. A new volume control with ner step gradation and higher performance completes the system.

The Reference 6 is not simply a market-driven product, but rather, a solution to a need which arose after the creation of the Reference SE Series amplifiers. According to Warren Gehl, who is responsible for sonic development of all Audio Research products, the new series of Reference amplifiers o er a level of musical and dynamic capability only made apparent when using the flagship, two-chassis Reference 10 preamplifier. Both preamplifiers of the Reference Series need the ability to provide the full bene t of this new sonic landscape. Increasing the tube count to six in the analog section, and advancements in the power supply improved both macro- and microdynamics and lowered distortion. The Reference 6 also have better bass control, relaxed purity and more dimensionality. Further improvements include a more grainless presentation, greater transparency, better speed, and more continuity across the musical spectrum. Quite simply, the Reference 6 improves upon its predecessor in every way for a more palpable and immediate musical performance.

The Reference 6 line stage preamplifier is housed in a single chassis paneled in custom-machined aluminum. The vacuum tube audio stage utilizes six 6H30 vacuum tubes (three per channel), and one 6H30 and a 6550WE provide regulation in the power supply. The large, vacuum fluorescent display on the front panel shows all functions and volume. Two rotary encoders provide input selection and volume control, and a row of ve buttons control power, mute, invert, mono and menu controls. Menu functions include: input labeling, display brightness, processor input setup and tube hour reset. Four balanced and four single-ended inputs provide system connectivity. There are two main outputs providing both balanced and single-ended, as well as a record out. RS-232, IR input, and 12V trigger allow for additional control options. The Reference 6 ships with a full-function metal remote.

Frequency Response: +0-3dB, 0.5Hz to 200kHz at rated output (Balanced, 200k ohms load).
Distortion: Less than .01% at 2V RMS BAL output.
Gain: Main output: 12dB Balanced output, 6dB SE output.
Record out: 0dB (Processor input: 0dB SE output).
Input Impedance: 120K ohms Balanced, 60K ohms SE. Inputs 4 balanced, 4 single-ended. Assignable processor passthrough.
Output Impedance: 600 ohms Balanced, 300 ohms SE Main (2). 20K ohms minimum load and 2000pF maximum capacitance. Outputs (3): 2 main, 1 record out (XLR and RCA connectors).
Output Polarity: Non-inverting.
Maximum Input: 20V RMS BAL, 10V RMS SE.
Rated Outputs: 2V RMS (1V RMS SE) into 200K ohm bal- anced load (maximum balanced output capability is 30V RMS at less than 0.5% THD at 1kHz).
Crosstalk: -80dB or better at 1kHz and 10 kHz.

Controls:
Rotary encoders: Volume (103 steps), Select Input.
Push Buttons: Power, Proc, Menu, Enter, Mono, Invert, Mute.

Power Supplies: Electronically regulated low and high voltage supplies. Automatic 45 sec. warm-up/brown-out mute. Line regulation better than .01%.
Noise: 1.7uV RMS residual IHF weighted balanced equiv- alent input noise with volume at 1 (109dB below 2V RMS output.)
Tube Complement: (6)-6H30P dual triodes, plus (1 each) 6550C and 6H30P in power supply.
Power Requirements: 100-135VAC 60Hz (200-270VAC 50/60Hz) 130 watts. Standby: 2 watts.

Dimensions:
Width Height Depth: 19” (48 cm) 7.8” (19.8 cm) 16.5” (41.9 cm)
Handles extend 1.6” (4 cm) forward of the front panel. Weight: 36.5 lbs. (16.6 kg) Net; 53 lbs. (24 kg) Shipping.

World Première: Festival SON et IMAGE Paris October 17-18, 2015
Availability: Shipping begins November 2015
Finishes: Available in natural anodized aluminum with clear acrylic cover
Price: $14,000 US

Dpod4
October 17, 2015, 01:06 PM
I have someone who wants to buy my air tight ate 2001 preamp. I had sold my ref 5se since it didn't sound as good in my system as the air tight. If I could get the arc ref 6 at a discount I would sell my friend the air tight since any marginal difference would be made up due to convenience of one box and balanced inputs and outputs. Anyone here an ARC dealer or have connections ? Darrin

cmalak
October 17, 2015, 01:44 PM
Nelson (HighEndGuy) is an ARC dealer based out of the Dominican Republic I believe.

ctop
October 17, 2015, 02:00 PM
Not surprisingly, four ref 5se units already for sale at Audiogon since yesterday...

Dpod4
October 17, 2015, 02:14 PM
If I could find a ref 6 for 11.5k I would get it.

PureVinyl
October 17, 2015, 03:49 PM
Had a chance to hear the AR GSpre and GS150 amp paired with the Focal Sopra 2 (great looking speaker-Amazing build quality)

IMO: did not make a great combo, with the KT150's i thought it sounded a little harsh and kinda light on the dynamics.

But when paired with PASS XA100.5 mono's it sounded great!

was hoping for a better showing of the new GS series

Cheers

PureVinyl
October 17, 2015, 03:57 PM
If I could find a ref 6 for 11.5k I would get it.

i would be looking at a VAC pre or even a CAT Renaissance either one could fit the bill.

have fun with your search.......

Bifwynne
October 17, 2015, 04:10 PM
Had a chance to hear the AR GSpre and GS150 amp paired with the Focal Sopra 2 (great looking speaker-Amazing build quality)

IMO: did not make a great combo, with the KT150's i thought it sounded a little harsh and kinda light on the dynamics.

But when paired with PASS XA100.5 mono's it sounded great!

was hoping for a better showing of the new GS series

Cheers

Perhaps the GS150 was simply not a good electrical match with the Focals. Even though the output impedance of the GS150 is "low'ish," even off the 4 ohm taps it runs between .55 and .87 ohm). Even higher off the 8 ohm taps. See Atkinson bench measurements: http://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-research-reference-150-power-amplifier-measurements#ojrKAzdOYUIGP5MC.97 (Note: the GS150, Ref 150 and Ref 150 SE have almost identical electrical specs).

By contrast, I surmise that the Pass's output impedance is more typical of a normative SS "Voltage Paradigm" amp ... that is, very, very low. A possible result could be that if the Focals have a prominent impedance peak at the mod/tweeter point, the SPL output in that FR spectrum might be a little augmented ... resulting in a sense of harshness. Even more so if the 8 ohm taps are used. All guesses of course.

Of course, I assume that all of the gear that was auditioned was well broken-in.

Thanks for your opinions. Always helpful.

BIF

Mike
October 17, 2015, 04:13 PM
I can confirm that Pass Class A with Focal is a GREAT match. Then again, I haven't found anything that isn't a great match with my Pass amps - yet.

I would love to hear the REF6 with the GS150's. I bet on SF speakers that would be magic.

joeinid
October 17, 2015, 04:39 PM
I can confirm that Pass Class A with Focal is a GREAT match. Then again, I haven't found anything that isn't a great match with my Pass amps - yet.

I would love to hear the REF6 with the GS150's. I bet on SF speakers that would be magic.

Are you talking to me?

:D

highEndguy
October 17, 2015, 05:36 PM
I think someone is in trouble

joeinid
October 17, 2015, 05:39 PM

mep
October 17, 2015, 07:43 PM
The Ref 6 could be a real contender. I'm more interested by the minute.

Mike
October 17, 2015, 07:52 PM
I bet it's amazing.

I have to say, I think the GS150 is one of the greatest amps I've ever heard. One of those amps that comes along once every 10 years or so. One of those amps that is so good, even the designers can't believe how good it turned out.

ARC is really on a roll lately. Good on them. Every piece of ARC gear I've ever owned, has been world class - regardless of price.

highEndguy
October 17, 2015, 10:30 PM
And there's also a new DAC coming

Mike
October 17, 2015, 10:34 PM

THAT is what I'm waiting to see and hear.

MRJAZZ
October 17, 2015, 10:38 PM
I bet it's amazing.

I have to say, I think the GS150 is one of the greatest amps I've ever heard. One of those amps that comes along once every 10 years or so. One of those amps that is so good, even the designers can't believe how good it turned out.

ARC is really on a roll lately. Good on them. Every piece of ARC gear I've ever owned, has been world class - regardless of price.

I concur. THE GS 150 is the best amp we have used in our primary demo room. We will be partnering it with the REF 6 pre in the near future.
CHEERS...........

Ritmo
October 17, 2015, 10:51 PM
I bet it's amazing.

Mike -

I agree with you. I heard the GS150 with the ARC Ref 10 and Wilson XLFs - the system sounded fantastic. While the XLFs are very efficient, the GS150 rocked! Transparent, dynamic with "cojones" on the bottom end. And, it looks terrific!

My sense is that the Ref 6 and the GS150 will be a killer combo.

La Dolce Vita
October 18, 2015, 10:36 AM

Correction Nelson...SOMEONES!!! ;-)

highEndguy
October 18, 2015, 10:43 AM
Ha !!!
I have like 5 clients wanted me to trade in they're 5se
Too many ,ahhahahaha

La Dolce Vita
October 18, 2015, 10:46 AM
;-) lol no doubt! My representative will be in touch with you shortly.

joeinid
October 18, 2015, 10:53 AM
No soup for you :P

;-) lol no doubt! My representative will be in touch with you shortly.

La Dolce Vita
October 18, 2015, 10:55 AM
Lol!! Uh, your not my rep. Anyway I say soup for all the NY crew!

highEndguy
October 18, 2015, 11:02 AM

microstrip
October 18, 2015, 11:35 AM
I bet it's amazing.

Yes, the GS150 sounds great. But the GS preamplifier was not good enough to extract its full potential - I listened to the GS150 with the REF5SE and the GS preamplifier and the difference was very large. Now with the REF6 SE everything seems in place.

Do we have any picture of the inside of the REF6 SE?

joeinid
October 18, 2015, 11:39 AM
Yes, the GS150 sounds great. But the GS preamplifier was not good enough to extract its full potential - I listened to the GS150 with the REF5SE and the GS preamplifier and the difference was very large. Now with the REF6 SE everything seems in place.

That's great to read.

mep
October 18, 2015, 11:40 AM

Pictures of the inside have been posted and it's not the Ref 6SE. It's just the Ref 6 for now.

madfloyd
October 18, 2015, 12:33 PM
So ARC went from the REF 5(SE) to REF 10 and now back to REF 6? REF 10 is still their flagship (being dual box)?

Frank750
October 18, 2015, 12:45 PM
So ARC went from the REF 5(SE) to REF 10 and now back to REF 6? REF 10 is still their flagship (being dual box)?

Ian, never mind ARC and their annual product improvement ala Magico, please explain your equipment signature?? Pass XA160.8 (left ch) XS150 (right ch) ????

madfloyd
October 18, 2015, 12:56 PM
Ian, never mind ARC and their annual product improvement ala Magico, please explain your equipment signature?? Pass XA160.8 (left ch) XS150 (right ch) ????

Just me being silly wondering who would notice. You win!

La Dolce Vita
October 18, 2015, 12:58 PM
Too funny!

mep
October 18, 2015, 01:13 PM

I have had my Ref 5SE for 19 months and it was on the market for sometime before I bought mine. The Ref 6 was just announced.

microstrip
October 18, 2015, 01:52 PM
Pictures of the inside have been posted and it's not the Ref 6SE. It's just the Ref 6 for now.

Surely, the ARC REF6 :blush: Can you post a link to the photos?

mep
October 18, 2015, 02:03 PM
Surely, the ARC REF6 :blush: Can you post a link to the photos?

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audio-research-introduces-reference-6-line-state-preamplifier/

highEndguy
October 18, 2015, 09:04 PM
The REF5 had like 3 or 4 year before becoming 5se
was not an only one year production PRE

Introduced

Discontinued

Revisions
REFFERENE 5 SE (2011)

MDP
October 19, 2015, 11:39 AM

You're such a tease Nelson!

highEndguy
October 19, 2015, 01:31 PM
Who me ?

:]

Dpod4
October 19, 2015, 09:26 PM
Sold my Air Tight ATE-2001 back to original owner - which beat every preamp I have ever tried. Going to try the ARC Ref 6 since I need the balanced connections.

MDP
October 20, 2015, 09:22 AM
Very cool Darrin! I'm sure you'll fill us in once you get it home.

mep
October 20, 2015, 04:34 PM
Very cool Darrin! I'm sure you'll fill us in once you get it home.

The official release date is November right?

highEndguy
October 20, 2015, 04:55 PM
Yes, but to got them maybe early December

mep
October 20, 2015, 05:15 PM
Yes, but to got them maybe early December

Just in time for Santy Claus.

Dpod4
October 21, 2015, 01:40 AM
My system is officially in disarray. Maggies being positioned on opposite wall. Preamps being switched out. Bass traps being purchased. Why oh why do I do this to myself?

MDP
October 21, 2015, 05:21 AM
My system is officially in disarray. Maggies being positioned on opposite wall. Preamps being switched out. Bass traps being purchased. Why oh why do I do this to myself?

Good question! I think we all do it from time to time, but I have things the way I like them so I'm staying put.

Except for my new TT.

:D

Packfill
October 24, 2015, 11:53 AM
An early post in this thread remarked that the new Ref6 was only $1000 more than the Ref5SE.

Am I the only one who believes that audio electronics, like most other manufactured/technology goods, should be going down in price over time and not up?

joeinid
October 24, 2015, 04:56 PM
Welcome to the forum Packfill, thank you for joining.

Dpod4
October 24, 2015, 09:43 PM
I think the Ref 6 is retailing at $14k. Given that it should be noticeably improved over the 5SE, closer to the Ref 10 (my dealer told me that it should be noticeably better than the ref 40 which was a little better than the Ref 5se). Given price of ref 10 I applaud arc for not being greedy and pricing it at $18-20k.

Ritmo
October 25, 2015, 07:39 AM
Excellent point. Given the excitement generated by the Ref 6 announcement, I would not be surprised to see ARC raise its price around CES.

Dpod4
October 29, 2015, 12:52 AM
Placed my order today.

joeinid
October 29, 2015, 01:08 AM
Placed my order today.

Congratulations Darrin. I am sure it will be an awesome preamp.

Paul
October 29, 2015, 01:19 AM
Placed my order today.

Congrats ! Are you going to pair with your Marantz ?

MDP
October 29, 2015, 08:10 AM
Congrats Darrin, I'm sure it will be a great piece.

Dpod4
October 29, 2015, 09:54 AM
Congrats ! Are you going to pair with your Marantz ?

Yes, and use the balanced connection

cmalak
October 29, 2015, 10:09 AM
Congrats Darrin. Looking forward to your listening impressions. When are they saying it will start shipping and when are you expected to receive yours (if you know)?

Dpod4
October 29, 2015, 02:13 PM
Congrats Darrin. Looking forward to your listening impressions. When are they saying it will start shipping and when are you expected to receive yours (if you know)?

Shipping in November

mep
October 29, 2015, 05:27 PM
I have already been told that mine won't ship until January. November and December's production runs have already been sold.

Ritmo
October 30, 2015, 07:13 AM
Congratulations Darrin and Mark! I think the Ref 6 will be a winner for ARC.

socfan12
October 30, 2015, 08:07 AM
Congrats Darrin and Mark! Great choice, guys!

BayStBroker
October 30, 2015, 08:11 AM
Except for cosmetics and ergonomics, is there a good reason why not to put the power supply for a tubed preamp into a separate chassis?

Mike
October 30, 2015, 08:14 AM
Except for cosmetics and ergonomics, is there a good reason why not to put the power supply for a tubed preamp into a separate chassis?

Cost?

cmalak
October 30, 2015, 10:30 AM

Ref 10 is a two chassis preamp for ARC (also the Ref 10 phono) but as Mike said, they have opted to go with separate power supply chassis in their top end reference product at their premium price point because of the added cost. McIntosh, VAC, and a few others have similar product lineups with the two chassis (separating clean and dirty boxes) in their premium end preamp products.

DaveC
October 30, 2015, 01:38 PM

Cost and ergonomics is worse, and then you also have to deal with wiring between the two, which is not trivial. IMO a single larger chassis is better. It's not like the PTs and such can't be isolated within a single chassis if needed.

I did notice the AR Ref 6 has a bunch of big electrolytic caps in there, for the price I'd want a PS that uses film caps.

BayStBroker
October 31, 2015, 09:02 AM
I'm constantly surprised by how little detail super high-end preamplifier manufacturers provide about the volume control that they install. "A new volume control with finer step gradation and higher performance completes the system," is what ARC tells us. This sort of vague description makes a volume control seem like an afterthought. ARC is by no means unique in this regard. But the whole signal goes through the volume control and is constantly regulated by it! By contrast, Robert Koda makes a big deal of his hand-made attenuators. http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13445&stc=1

Dpod4
November 7, 2015, 08:54 PM
Dealer told me my arc ref 6 should arrive end of December.

mep
November 7, 2015, 09:30 PM
Dealer told me my arc ref 6 should arrive end of December.

Cool. Mine isn't supposed to arrive until sometime in January.

Ritmo
November 8, 2015, 09:09 AM
Congrats gentlemen!

Deafone
November 22, 2015, 01:49 PM
I see specs list a 6550C tube instead of the usual 6550WE. Wonder if that is a typo.

Bifwynne
November 22, 2015, 02:03 PM
I see specs list a 6550C tube instead of the usual 6550WE. Wonder if that is a typo.

Deafone ... ARC stopped using SED 6550 "winged C" tubes a while back. The reason is that the original Svetlana factory in St. Petersburg where the SED 6550Cs were made burned down several years ago. Another Russian tube manufacturer took over the name, but the new tubes are not the same quality. For some time, Upscale Audio wouldn't even sell old SED 6550 "winged C" tubes that were floating around the market because of quality issues. That may have changed. You'd have to call Kevin Deal at Upscale to get an update.

In the meantime, ARC moved on to Sovtek, which makes 6550 WE tubes. In fact, ARC sold me two new 6550 WE replacement tubes for my Ref 5 SE linestage and Ref CD-8 CDP.

Hope this helps.

BIF

Alpinist
February 17, 2016, 02:01 AM
I recently had a long audition of a system that included the ARC Ref 6. The Ref 6 sounded absolutely incredible. One of the best preamps I've ever heard (I've owned the Pass XP-30 and currently own the Soulution 520). The organic presentation, combined with the scale, dynamics, detail and nuance were amazing. In a word, wow!!!

Ken

XV-1
February 17, 2016, 05:58 AM
I recently had a long audition of a system that included the ARC Ref 6. The Ref 6 sounded absolutely incredible. One of the best preamps I've ever heard (I've owned the Pass XP-30 and currently own the Soulution 520). The organic presentation, combined with the scale, dynamics, detail and nuance were amazing. In a word, wow!!!

Ken

Are you going to be able to try it in your system? that will be the true test.

madfloyd
February 17, 2016, 08:45 AM
Are you going to be able to try it in your system? that will be the true test.

Agreed. How was tonality/coloration?

What was the rest of the system that you heard it with?

Alpinist
February 18, 2016, 01:44 AM
[QUOTE=madfloyd;159687]Agreed. How was tonality/coloration?

Ian,

The tonality was very accurate with little coloration.

Ken

Alpinist
February 18, 2016, 01:57 AM
"Are you going to be able to try it in your system? that will be the true test."

Hi XV-1,

No plans to try one in my system at this time.

Best,
Ken

La Dolce Vita
February 18, 2016, 09:49 AM
In December I heard the ARC Ref 6 in a friend's system. He had it paired with a Hegel H30 and Revel Salon 2's. I concur with Ken and had the same general impression. Hope this helps

bzr
February 18, 2016, 04:58 PM
"Are you going to be able to try it in your system? that will be the true test."

Hi XV-1,

No plans to try one in my system at this time.

Best,
Ken

I think I know why...;)

Alpinist
February 18, 2016, 05:31 PM
I think I know why...;)

Kev,

Because I have Soul? :D

Ken

bzr
February 19, 2016, 04:13 AM
Kev,

Because I have Soul? :D

Ken
Ha! Great comeback!!

Rscotth
February 19, 2016, 10:32 AM
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15110&stc=1

bzr
February 19, 2016, 06:42 PM
That looks absolutely stunning!

Alpinist
February 19, 2016, 06:54 PM
The ARC REF 6 is a tremendous preamp. It replaced an ARC REF 5SE in a system I'm very familiar with. While the REF 5SE produced outstanding sound, replacing it with the REF 6 brought the system to an entirely different/higher level, in my opinion. More dimension, better dynamics and lower noise floor. I've not auditioned the REF 10 yet but I would bet the REF 6 gets you in the ballpark. Really amazing.

Ken

Dpod4
February 20, 2016, 12:18 AM
I hook mine up this weekend along with some other new gear. Just spent the week in Bend listening to my second system with a new SRA Ohio class stand under my amg v12 table.

jdandy
February 20, 2016, 01:03 AM
Scott.......That Ref 6 is crying for a pair of these.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/sthull/Newport%202012/CT6A0813a.jpg

bzr
February 20, 2016, 02:13 AM
Dan, I hope Mike doesn't see this...:D

Ali
March 1, 2016, 02:37 PM
hi, Is there any review of REF6 out yet? canT find any

joeinid
March 1, 2016, 07:33 PM
hi, Is there any review of REF6 out yet? canT find any

Not yet.

Alpinist
March 1, 2016, 10:04 PM
The REF6 preamp absolutely kicks ass with the Aesthetix Atlas monoblocks, which utilize one 6SN7 tube per channel for all the voltage gain and all solid state for the output stage. I bet it would sound great with most solid state amps that have a high enough input impedance. I was truly impressed with the REF6.

Ken

La Dolce Vita
March 1, 2016, 10:07 PM
Thinking of picking one up to use with my H30...

Alpinist
March 1, 2016, 10:22 PM
Thinking of picking one up to use with my H30...

Hegel H30 Balanced Input Impedance = 20,000 Ohms

ARC REF6 Balanced Output Impedance = 600 Ohms

20,000 / 600 = 33.3X (Should be at least 10X greater)

Should be good from an impedance perspective. I bet it will sound great too. You should give one a whirl in your system.

Ken

La Dolce Vita
March 1, 2016, 11:36 PM
Thanks Ken...very helpful!

Ali
March 2, 2016, 11:22 AM
I just got and installed my REF6 half an hour ago! The rest are ARC GS150, EAR/Yoshino CD player, Wilson SashaII, All cables from Furutech Flex line, I liked to upload their pictures but can't do that because although I choose picture file but it doesn't give me option to upload it or the upload button does not response; pity!

MDP
March 2, 2016, 12:08 PM
Welcome to AS Ali.

Nice system!

MM622
April 8, 2016, 10:35 AM
I've test the Ref 6 this week, not a good report, just for information:

http://www.audioshark.org/audio-research-corporation-arc-36/ref-6-test-report-9647.html

slowikpl
May 19, 2016, 09:00 AM
I will get the Reference 6 on coming weekend. :yahoo1:Used and have only 100 hrs. on it. It will be first Audio Research product for me. It will be drive my Pass XA 160.5. I hoop it will be good synergy. No listening session first ( no dealer have then here) ;-/ I hope it will improve my Pass XP20 in some Tube- sweetness / more organic sound.

Does anybody knows how long will it take to break in ? According some sites 300 hrs. or 600+ hrs. :?
And have somebody data how big in uF – capacity are those gold capacitors ?

SoundRebels
May 19, 2016, 09:08 AM
(...)

Does anybody knows how long will it take to break in ? According some sites 300 hrs. or 600+ hrs. :?

I've heard (info directly from Audio Research) about 300 hrs.

Ali
May 19, 2016, 10:00 AM
I will get the Reference 6 on coming weekend. :yahoo1:Used and have only 100 hrs. on it. It will be first Audio Research product for me. It will be drive my Pass XA 160.5. I hoop it will be good synergy. No listening session first ( no dealer have then here) ;-/ I hope it will improve my Pass XP20 in some Tube- sweetness / more organic sound.

Mine getting better after around 200hour, although it was nice sounding from start but now what I feel after 200 is more transparency and dynamic range, less distortion in high volume and better separation; It seems its just beginning to show its abilities! You will love it. Don't expect overly warm sound of tube; It is really very low coloration device, monitor class/ reference class preamplifier

madfloyd
May 19, 2016, 11:47 AM

Congrats! As another Pass owner, I would love to hear your thoughts once you have heard it. Keep us posted!

La Dolce Vita
May 19, 2016, 12:56 PM

Many congrats! Exciting news... Mine is still burning in. I have a friend who said at 600 hours magic happens... So I'm waiting to get there myself. Hard to imagine it getting better.

It should outperform your XP-20 as for me it did so with my XP-30. Although the XP-30 is also amazing.

Ritmo
May 19, 2016, 03:27 PM
My experience has been that by the 400 hr point, ARC sound has stabilized and small improvements will continue until 600 hrs. Do not give up on the gear until it gets to 600 hrs. I've seen people be impatient and sell their ARC gear before it is operating at its full potential.

2 cents...

mep
May 19, 2016, 05:12 PM
The piece of paper that comes in the box with your ARC Ref 6 says it takes 600 hours for full break in. It sounds great fresh out of the box so it's nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

nc42acc
May 20, 2016, 06:25 AM
I think the person I bought my REF5SE from didn't let it burn in long enough. I think it sounds amazing, cannot imagine the REF6 being better.

highEndguy
May 21, 2016, 07:47 PM
ARC rules

La Dolce Vita
May 21, 2016, 08:18 PM
My Ref 6 still has much burning in to do...but...sounds great already. [emoji41]

mep
May 21, 2016, 08:33 PM
I think the person I bought my REF5SE from didn't let it burn in long enough. I think it sounds amazing, cannot imagine the REF6 being better.

:D I loved my Ref 5SE and thought it sounded great. I just had enough faith in ARC that the Ref 6 would be better since they rarely make missteps. Completely different circuit (poor man's Ref 10?) using 6 tubes instead of 4, beefier power supply as well as the power supply was redesigned. I have no regrets.

slowikpl
May 25, 2016, 04:17 PM
Hi all ,

I have now 2 days the ARC Ref6 Pre. This is only my opinion so it is my kind of putting in the paper wwhat I experience and compare with. And I must say I’m very impressed by this gear. I was always in love in Tube-sound. But the Tube -effect on some gear what I had listened to was little to slow and sometimes little to sweet to be lifelike reproduction of music. The ARC is never that kind of reproduction. From beginning of listening at 160 hrs on the timetable I was seduction and first hear love. The attack of the bass what I was afraid from tube- gear is sublime. The Bas is lighting fast and very differential. At highs more details stroke me first with the kind finesse that I can remember I first time audition my Aleph -X. Many many more air and effortless reproduction of the sound. Not like correct -sound like my Aleph XP20 , it is music with everything what is music about ! The mids tones are very fine and much meat on the bones. Far better than my old XP20. The XP20 I IMHO good gear for the recording – studio like reproduction. Nothing more than good and correct reproduction. And the ARC Ref6 is IMHO the gear that you forget that you listening to gear , the main importance is the music reproduction , and Thake the journey in to music. That’s what is for me most important.
At 181hrs the first 40 minutes ware ok , but nothing special. Harsh . I Think that this had to do with the Burn-in effect. I will now listen to it 4 full day`s to go asap to the 300 – 600hrs mark. I`m so exciting what will happen. I will report further at 300 hrs mark.
If you have some question feel free to ask.

What is little less that my Plexy-glass top cover have little band from the heat above the 6550 Tube. I have now applied some aluminum tape from the inside side and cut in the venting holes in it. I hope this wil solve the issue.

Today the sound is not that amazing like yesterday . I do not understand this. Could it be that at 190HRS the unit can be that night- day different?

Alpinist
May 26, 2016, 08:58 PM
Hi all ,

I have now 2 days the ARC Ref6 Pre. This is only my opinion so it is my kind of putting in the paper wwhat I experience and compare with. And I must say I’m very impressed by this gear. I was always in love in Tube-sound. But the Tube -effect on some gear what I had listened to was little to slow and sometimes little to sweet to be lifelike reproduction of music. The ARC is never that kind of reproduction. From beginning of listening at 160 hrs on the timetable I was seduction and first hear love. The attack of the bass what I was afraid from tube- gear is sublime. The Bas is lighting fast and very differential. At highs more details stroke me first with the kind finesse that I can remember I first time audition my Aleph -X. Many many more air and effortless reproduction of the sound. Not like correct -sound like my Aleph XP20 , it is music with everything what is music about ! The mids tones are very fine and much meat on the bones. Far better than my old XP20. The XP20 I IMHO good gear for the recording – studio like reproduction. Nothing more than good and correct reproduction. And the ARC Ref6 is IMHO the gear that you forget that you listening to gear , the main importance is the music reproduction , and Thake the journey in to music. That’s what is for me most important.
At 181hrs the first 40 minutes ware ok , but nothing special. Harsh . I Think that this had to do with the Burn-in effect. I will now listen to it 4 full day`s to go asap to the 300 – 600hrs mark. I`m so exciting what will happen. I will report further at 300 hrs mark.
If you have some question feel free to ask.

What is little less that my Plexy-glass top cover have little band from the heat above the 6550 Tube. I have now applied some aluminum tape from the inside side and cut in the venting holes in it. I hope this wil solve the issue.

Today the sound is not that amazing like yesterday . I do not understand this. Could it be that at 190HRS the unit can be that night- day different?

Up and down until the break-in period is completed. Pretty typical. I heard a Ref 3 phonostage before the break-in period was completed and I thought it sounded pretty bad. Really thin and bright in the treble. Patience is the key.

Best,
Ken

slowikpl
May 29, 2016, 05:26 PM
Up and down until the break-in period is completed. Pretty typical. I heard a Ref 3 phonostage before the break-in period was completed and I thought it sounded pretty bad. Really thin and bright in the treble. Patience is the key.

Best,
Ken

Thanks Ken. Today it sounded at 253 HRS really as you describe it. Degradation 100% So I don't listen to it before let's say 400HRS. Because it makes me nervous.

I have read somewhere that I can only pass the sound from source through the Preamplifier without turning the amplifiers on. Set the gain at 80 to quicken the burin-in period. Can someone else confirm that?

Alpinist
May 30, 2016, 06:00 AM
Thanks Ken. Today it sounded at 253 HRS really as you describe it. Degradation 100% So I don't listen to it before let's say 400HRS. Because it makes me nervous.

I have read somewhere that I can only pass the sound from source through the Preamplifier without turning the amplifiers on. Set the gain at 80 to quicken the burn-in period. Can someone else confirm that?

You can but half volume should be sufficient.

Ken

mep
May 30, 2016, 02:36 PM
I think the break-in period and the attendant changes people claim to hear are overblown. The Ref 6 sounds great fresh out of the box from the factory. If you think you shouldn't listen to it until you hit some magic number of hours on the meter because it's not going to sound very good, something is wrong between your ears and/or your system is hosed. Yes, there are subtle improvements as the hours roll by, but not the way some people portray them. Maybe I should start selling audiophile worry beads.

slowikpl
May 30, 2016, 05:03 PM
Hi Mep. I don't think that. The day before I know what I heard. It was great. And yesterday It was crazy. Sound was very hard , bright and without any finesse.
Today it was nothing special at all. I wil keep burning the preamp till it reaches at least the effect like 2 days before.
So I do think that now is like a roller coaster. And I will keep writing my experience during the burn in.

mep
May 30, 2016, 07:29 PM
It makes me wonder about the quality of your electricity. Daytime vs. nighttime?

La Dolce Vita
May 30, 2016, 07:35 PM
I agree. As a Ref 6 owner it sounds great out of the box. There's some variance as it burns in but nothing like you are describing - that's extreme. How's your electricity? Voltage spikes? Do you use a power conditioner?

Superfrg
May 30, 2016, 07:40 PM
Some Arc activity here, nice!

Im experiencing the exact same burn-in effects with my Ref 6, and im only around 100 hours.
I dont even believe in burn in, but its pretty extreme.

Sound was exceptional for the first 60-70 hours, but has changed to one dimensional, overly bright (vocals) and seems slower for the last couple of days.

joeinid
May 30, 2016, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the forum Superfrg, thank you for joining.

Superfrg
May 30, 2016, 08:01 PM
Thank you :)

La Dolce Vita
May 30, 2016, 08:21 PM
How is it that some people have schizophrenic ARC Ref 6's and others (like me) have those that sound consistently good???

Superfrg
May 30, 2016, 08:28 PM
How many hours do you have sofar?

I had a Ref5se before, and it did not act up during break-in - no other changes to my system since..

La Dolce Vita
May 30, 2016, 08:29 PM
Need to check but I'd guess maybe 200...

highEndguy
May 31, 2016, 10:47 AM
Hi Guys,

As a dealer of ARC I can tell you that so far my last 6 REF6 sold has been sounding wonderful from start and all of my clients said the same thing from the first minute of starting up the unit the sound is superb.

I believe in the burn in time
But not in the up and down
Sound until the 600hrs

But that's me, I respect each of your experiences

slowikpl
January 18, 2017, 09:09 AM
I have purchased new Audiodharma Cable Cocke r. In the meantime I`m asking myself if the result will blown me away with the speaker-Capacitor burn-in , maybe I should also burn the capacitors of my new Preamplifier the Audio Research Reference 6 ? Thake them out and burn properly on the Cable Cocker ;-) Just a thought, the unit sounds great imho. I like soldering and make some test ;-) Does anybody know somebody done that ?

joeinid
January 18, 2017, 12:32 PM
I would not recommend taking apart your Ref 6 to burn in caps, etc.

Just play it with music and enjoy it. One day you will realize how great it is and say, holy cow! and you will be happy.

Alpinist
January 19, 2017, 01:56 AM
How is it that some people have schizophrenic ARC Ref 6's and others (like me) have those that sound consistently good???

Hi Andy,

You raise an excellent point. Some owners, like yourself, love the Ref 6's sound from day one. Other owners need to go fully through the break in process before they find audio nirvana. I would encourage those owners to withhold judgement until the Ref 6 has at least 600 hours on it.

I have loved the sound of my Ref 10 since day one. But I've been told that I will keep hearing improvement until about 600 hours. I'm currently at 250 hours and I'm still hearing consistent improvement in terms of smoothness, refinement and dimension.

Best,
Ken

slowikpl
January 19, 2017, 04:30 AM
From another member i got this tip:

if you want to burn-in them just get some wires with alligator clips. If the preamplier is turned - off, the capacitors are in a medium -impedance state as the cathode resistor is around 10 kohm and the other wire of the capacitor is grounded by the mute relay.

That would be the best solution. I`m +/- 100% sure that I will not harm my beloved preamplifier ? I was also thinking about this, and even take out the valves out to be sure I don't damage anything.. Can another forum member approve this approach?

BruceLet
January 19, 2017, 08:32 AM

if you want to burn-in them just get some wires with alligator clips. If the preamplier is turned - off, the capacitors are in a medium -impedance state as the cathode resistor is around 10 kohm and the other wire of the capacitor is grounded by the mute relay.

That would be the best solution. I`m +/- 100% sure that I will not harm my beloved preamplifier ? I was also thinking about this, and even take out the valves out to be sure I don't damage anything.. Can another forum member approve this approach?

I think it is a bad idea. I would hope that you can just enjoy the great preamp. If not, maybe move on to something else.

MikeCh
January 19, 2017, 11:03 AM

Reckless. You can't be serious.

Call or write ARC directly and ask them how to do the modifications & connections.

La Dolce Vita
January 20, 2017, 03:26 PM
Hi Andy,

You raise an excellent point. Some owners, like yourself, love the Ref 6's sound from day one. Other owners need to go fully through the break in process before they find audio nirvana. I would encourage those owners to withhold judgement until the Ref 6 has at least 600 hours on it.

I have loved the sound of my Ref 10 since day one. But I've been told that I will keep hearing improvement until about 600 hours. I'm currently at 250 hours and I'm still hearing consistent improvement in terms of smoothness, refinement and dimension.

Best,
Ken

Hi Ken,

Glad your experience with the Ref 10 is similar to mine. I do believe with use these components benefit from burn in and settle down to their in age character but the difference is subtle. Sounded great from day one and only better now. The Ref 6 now has a place in my reference system.

Best always...

slowikpl
February 2, 2017, 09:43 AM
Hello ,

I’m a proud owner of Audio Research Reference 6 Preamplifier. I want to combine this unit with SS Amplifier the Vitus Audio SM-011. The only question I have will it electric drive the SS- monoblocs via the XLR connection?
The Sterophile test of my Reference 6 says in the measurement: The balanced output clipped at 2.7V into 600 ohms; like the Ref 5, the Ref 6 should not be used with power amplifiers having an input impedance of less than 10k ohms.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-research-reference-6-line-preamplifier-measurements#IucRsXSulREJtzz2.99

The XLR impedance of the SS Amplifier the Vitus Audio SM-011 is 10KΩ 10KΩ
Read more at: http://www.vitusaudio.com/files/4405/upload/brochure%202016%20v1%2028-10-2016.pdf

And here the predecessor SM-010 was even tested with the Reference 5 Preamplifier with good results.
http://www.tonepublications.com/review/heavy-metal/

Mike
February 2, 2017, 09:45 AM
The REF5SE with my Vitus SS-103 worked beautifully.

slowikpl
February 2, 2017, 09:52 AM
Thanks Mike for the quick response. I think I will go “blind” for the SM-011 after you and many more people who have advised me this brand in Class-A amplifiers. I hope this will be major step up from my XA-160.5

Mike
February 2, 2017, 09:53 AM
Thanks Mike for the quick response. I think I will go “blind” for the SM-011 after you and many more people who have advised me this brand in Class-A amplifiers. I hope this will be major step up from my XA-160.5

I don't think you will be disappointed.

mep
February 2, 2017, 04:56 PM
I have purchased new Audiodharma Cable Cocke r. In the meantime I`m asking myself if the result will blown me away with the speaker-Capacitor burn-in , maybe I should also burn the capacitors of my new Preamplifier the Audio Research Reference 6 ? Thake them out and burn properly on the Cable Cocker ;-) Just a thought, the unit sounds great imho. I like soldering and make some test ;-) Does anybody know somebody done that ?

This is a joke right? Unless you hold IPC solder certifications and have a really good soldering station which includes a desoldering tool, you stand a good chance of causing damage to the circuit board. You will most certainly void your warranty and your value on the used market if you disclose your shenanigans (which would also prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are a crazy audiophile) would drop faster than a used prophylactic.

slowikpl
February 2, 2017, 05:20 PM
This is a joke right? Unless you hold IPC solder certifications and have a really good soldering station which includes a desoldering tool, you stand a good chance of causing damage to the circuit board. You will most certainly void your warranty and your value on the used market if you disclose your shenanigans (which would also prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are a crazy audiophile) would drop faster than a used prophylactic.

Hi Mep.

I was jest asking myself and also here if anyone has tried this. The outcome by cocking Duelund capacitors after one year of use was beyond my belief! I'm just thinking about speed up this process in Reference 6 and even my thinking is that good capacitors can never been broken in without this peace of treatment! Really! Voodoo equipment!
I will after this reactions not do this to Ref 6.

Golum
March 30, 2017, 09:04 AM
After chasing and thinking of swapping my long time companion in form of ModWright LS36.5DM with REF5SE and unsuccessful chase for it across Europe I've stumbled on almost new REF6 which I could not resist to, so as of today I finally have an ARC preamp from REF series. Previously I had LS2B and LS16mkII so this should be, from my point of view, a big come back:yahoo1: to the ARC family. Unfortunately I'll have to wait for a few weeks to plug it in due to planned trips, but the longer you wait for something to happen the sweater it gets when you get it :exciting:.

Mike
March 30, 2017, 10:34 AM
After chasing and thinking of swapping my long time companion in form of ModWright LS36.5DM with REF5SE and unsuccessful chase for it across Europe I've stumbled on almost new REF6 which I could not resist to, so as of today I finally have an ARC preamp from REF series. Previously I had LS2B and LS16mkII so this should be, from my point of view, a big come back:yahoo1: to the ARC family. Unfortunately I'll have to wait for a few weeks to plug it in due to planned trips, but the longer you wait for something to happen the sweater it gets when you get it :exciting:.

Congrats!! Great preamp. [emoji106][emoji106]

hifinutt
May 6, 2017, 03:10 PM

interesting , I absolutely adored my ref 5 and ref 5se [ couriers lost my ref 5!] it had a beautiful textured sound . sadly had to sell for financial reasons but gradually working my way up again . had the 36.5 modwright for a while and then most recently got the 36.5dm . its good and beautifully made but aiming for the ref 6 . now they are VERY rare s/h in uk so waiting for the se to come out . anyone know when that is ?

however a well meaning dealer lent me a grandinote proemio [Italian ] pre and my word that is easily up to the dm level so might persue that as well as the ref 6 as the proemio is SS and no valves to worry about

an engineer I know is currently working on an arc anniversary pre which I saw last week , fabulous engineering !

bonzo
May 7, 2017, 08:49 AM
Phil, see if you can find the Ref 40 used. It has a separate power supply and if the ref 10 was anything to go by, it will be the dog's bollocks. Just one thing, if you are driving a SS amp (in case you still have your MSB) you might want to check impedance match and the VTL will be better to drive a SS amp.

interesting , I absolutely adored my ref 5 and ref 5se [ couriers lost my ref 5!] it had a beautiful textured sound . sadly had to sell for financial reasons but gradually working my way up again . had the 36.5 modwright for a while and then most recently got the 36.5dm . its good and beautifully made but aiming for the ref 6 . now they are VERY rare s/h in uk so waiting for the se to come out . anyone know when that is ?

however a well meaning dealer lent me a grandinote proemio [Italian ] pre and my word that is easily up to the dm level so might persue that as well as the ref 6 as the proemio is SS and no valves to worry about

an engineer I know is currently working on an arc anniversary pre which I saw last week , fabulous engineering !

hifinutt
May 7, 2017, 09:05 AM
thanks kedar . yes ref 10 are still extortionate prices and having seen the complexity of the anniversary I am a bit nervous if it needs repair . yes still using the amazing msb s200 , it really does sound good . I bet the high end grandinote would give arc pre amps a real run for their money . have you ever heard any ?

good to know re the vtl powering the ss amp

bonzo
May 7, 2017, 09:21 AM
thanks kedar . yes ref 10 are still extortionate prices and having seen the complexity of the anniversary I am a bit nervous if it needs repair . yes still using the amazing msb s200 , it really does sound good . I bet the high end grandinote would give arc pre amps a real run for their money . have you ever heard any ?

good to know re the vtl powering the ss amp

The ref 40 is similar to 10 and discontinued so available cheaper. 10 is more user friendly and a couple of caps. There is an article on audiobeat describing sonic differences but I understand they are minimal. VTL 7.5 mkII and III have low impedance and put out a lot of current to drive SS amps. I personally haven't compared VTL to ref 10 but you will see that in Roy Gregory's review.