Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD's RMAF Write-up

Mike

Audioshark
Staff member
avantgarde_1.jpg

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2015/rmaf2015_avantgarde.htm

:D :D :D :D :D :D

They were terrific on Sunday. Mike and I visited the room mid morning and the music was delicious.

Jerome, these things sound so "Live" compared to anything else I've heard. If I just had the room...................
I wonder how is the bass integration.
I will go to listen to them at the Paris dealer.
Do you think they need a very large room ?

I wonder how is the bass integration.
I will go to listen to them at the Paris dealer.
Do you think they need a very large room ?

Jerome - you have to hear the new XD series. Bass integration is perfect. The speakers in the picture are my speakers. They are the new XD series Duo Mezzo's.

As for room size, you should speak with Mr. Armin Krauss at Avantgarde. He will tell you in terms of square meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerome - you have to hear the new XD series. Bass integration is perfect. The speakers in the picture are my speakers. They are the new XD series Duo Mezzo's.

As for room size, you should speak with Mr. Armin Krauss at Avantgarde. He will tell you in terms of square meters.

Thanks Mike ! I can't wait to hear them.
Jerry Seh has the former model and is in love with them too.
I wonder how they would match with Shindo's sweetness.

With Shindo, it would be heaven. HEAVEN! They are so dynamic. So "alive". Bass is incredible. There is just no match for the speed and "live" of a great horn. Efficiency = dynamics.

But make sure you hear the new XD series. They are a big step forward.

New XD Series has:

- newly developed 1000 watts Class-D amplifiers

- redesigned input stage with DSP, allowing to program multiple EQ curves

- on-board 2-line display for easy access to basic parameters

- Ethernet and USB connection to apply graphic EQ software (free download)

- microphone kit for room adaption measurements (coming in Q4-'15/Q1-'16)

- room correction for the XD bass modules, from the research on the Zero 1.

- full active + digital crossover and correction in the future.

The XD series being built:

http://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/a...d-production-lines-of-new-series-are-set.html

Also in the new XD series is the Omega Technology: http://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/h...downloads/service/downloads/en/omega_engl.pdf

Thank you Mike.
Of course I will check if they have the G2 or the XD.
On the various videos I saw on youtube with the Duo or Trio playing, they seem to have a very bright / aggressive treble.
Probably just due to the poor recordings.
My computer speakers are Harbeth P3ESR driven by McIntosh MA5100.

Thank you Mike.
Of course I will check if they have the G2 or the XD.
On the various videos I saw on youtube with the Duo or Trio playing, they seem to have a very bright / aggressive treble.
Probably just due to the poor recordings.
My computer speakers are Harbeth P3ESR driven by McIntosh MA5100.

Not bright/aggressive to me. Very FAST tweeter.....no excessive "ringing" like you get from a cone and dome type tweeter. With a sweet tube amp and some good cables, they are heaven.

Not bright/aggressive to me. Very FAST tweeter.....no excessive "ringing" like you get from a cone and dome type tweeter. With a sweet tube amp and some good cables, they are heaven.
Ok great !
Anyway Shindo is extremely sweet in the treble. Speakers sounding bright with Shindo are hard to find ! ;)

Yup. Former model is the right word. Its now going to be history. One of the few speakers I've had that sounded great, apart from the Meridian DSP8000 (again, new model's supersede its former glory). 2 speakers I would gladly moved up to the newer models. Problem is, I could only choose one. :thumbsup:

Very FAST tweeter.....no excessive "ringing" like you get from a cone and dome type tweeter.

Hey Mike, this isn't an accurate statement. Ringing is a measurable phenomenon, and if you want a detailed answer I'll give you one, but the short answer is measurable ringing/energy storage will almost certainly be on the high side in any Avantegarde speaker with large horns and compression drivers. It's just the nature of the beast. That high sensitivity doesn't come without a downside, or else everybody would do it.

Horns don't store energy to the extent many other tweeters do. Remember those aluminum or titanium tweeters? Yikes.

Horn tweeters also improve off axis response. Horn tweeters also help improve efficiency too.

Now, a ribbon tweeter is also very fast at dissipating energy.

Horns don't store energy to the extent many other tweeters do. Now, a ribbon tweeter is also very fast at dissipating energy.

Again Mike you're talking measurable things here, and yes every horn/waveguide will add energy storage on top of whatever is inherent to the driver loaded into it. A compression driver in a waveguide like AG uses will have more energy storage than any competent dome tweeter on a flat baffle. Compared to a ribbon, it will be order of magnitude higher.

Ribbons are excellent, but they have their challenges too. Don't crossover too low! LOL.

Ok, back to AV.

Back