PDA

View Full Version : Who has Pass point 8 amps? I'm thinking about XA60.8's for my Strads ...

joeinid
October 6, 2015, 01:58 PM
Thoughts? My XA60.5's were amazing and sold them to get the XA60.8 but took a detour on the VAC. I miss the XA60.5's and need to hear the new amps.

Sceptic
October 6, 2015, 02:51 PM
I have only heard the XA60.8 monos driving a pair of Dynaudio C4 Platinums and that was a great match. I am very curious how you would describe the sonic difference between the Bryston 28īs and the Pass 60.5īs?

The Sandman
October 6, 2015, 03:00 PM
You couldn't pry my XA160.8s out of my hands. They're amazing and they seem to keep getting better every day! And of course Strads love Pass Labs Class A power, so what are you waiting for?

asiufy
October 6, 2015, 03:04 PM
I believe someone here will have a pair of 160.8s for sale soon :)

joeinid
October 6, 2015, 03:18 PM
I have only heard the XA60.8 monos driving a pair of Dynaudio C4 Platinums and that was a great match. I am very curious how you would describe the sonic difference between the Bryston 28īs and the Pass 60.5īs?

Welcome to the forum Sceptic.

The 28's and the 60.5's are very different. The 28's are more neutral but NOT sterile at all, produce tight wonderful bass, are very smooth on top with a hint of sweetness and have a big and wide soundstage. The 60.5's are warmer, have softer rounder bass, a little sweeter mids and treble and bass nowhere near as good as the 28's. As much as I loved the 60.5's, I absolutely love the 28's even more. Just amazing performers. So if you ask why am I even considering any more amps? Basically I am obsessed. My 28's are NOT going anywhere, they are that good and don't run like little furnaces.

joeinid
October 6, 2015, 03:19 PM
I believe someone here will have a pair of 160.8s for sale soon :)

I am not going to mention any names because Ian will get upset :D

joeinid
October 6, 2015, 03:21 PM
You couldn't pry my XA160.8s out of my hands. They're amazing and they seem to keep getting better every day! And of course Strads love Pass Labs Class A power, so what are you waiting for?

I am just a little concerned about the heat. From now until spring next year it's not a problem. The new .8 gear runs almost twice as hot as the .5 amps.

The Sandman
October 6, 2015, 03:25 PM
FWIW, I think the XA Point 8 series amps will address most if not all of your issues with the XA60.5s. But I'd definitely go bigger than XA60.8s for the Strads - for the same reason you didn't go smaller than the 28BSSTē - size matters!

The Sandman
October 6, 2015, 03:27 PM
I am just a little concerned about the heat. From now until spring next year it's not a problem. The new .8 gear runs almost twice as hot as the .5 amps.

It's not that much hotter. I use them year round in Florida, just like I did my XA160.5s!

joeinid
October 6, 2015, 04:09 PM
FWIW, I think the XA Point 8 series amps will address most if not all of your issues with the XA60.5s. But I'd definitely go bigger than XA60.8s for the Strads - for the same reason you didn't go smaller than the 28BSSTē - size matters!

When you are right, you are right. Mike likes the XA160.8's too. Hmmm.

It's not that much hotter. I use them year round in Florida, just like I did my XA160.5s!

For me, in the summer, it could be a bit much but I could deal with it. Even if I park them for a few months, no big deal.

The Sandman
October 6, 2015, 04:35 PM
When you are right, you are right. Mike likes the XA160.8's too. Hmmm.

The XA160.8s are long term keeper amps - the Point 9s won't be out for a long, long time and when they are just trade up - they hold their value beautifully! They sound great and never seem to run out of power.

And to my ear, the XA160.8s sound very close to the XS amps *if* you're obsessive about getting the power infrastructure right - more power than the XS 150 actually though a lot less filtration in the power supply. For that matter, ditto the XP 30 and XS Pre - proper power and pair of upgraded umbilicals and the difference decreases dramatically. Definitely no accident that the XS Pre lost those PC grade umbilicals the stock XP 30 is saddled with. ;)

Paul
October 6, 2015, 07:05 PM
👀 ....

Maybe 100.8 for M40.1 ? Hmmm

socfan12
October 6, 2015, 07:14 PM
I am not going to mention any names because Ian will get upset :D

LOL!:lol:

slowgeezr
October 6, 2015, 07:49 PM

I feel the same about my XA100.5s. My Wilson's love 'em!

Mike
October 6, 2015, 09:02 PM

I've always been a fan of the XA.5 series. It sounded the most classic tube like of any SS to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeinid
October 6, 2015, 09:09 PM

I've always been a fan of the XA.5 series. It sounded the most classic tube like of any SS to me.

Sure, sure, rub it in :D

Alpinist
October 7, 2015, 12:34 AM

I totally agree, Mike. My XA-100.8 were more transparent to the source and clear sounding than my XA-100.5 but once fully warmed up (4-5 hours), my XA-100.5 sounded absolutely dreamy with a beautiful tube-like delivery. Two very different sonic signatures in my opinion.

Ken

Paul
October 7, 2015, 12:40 AM
I totally agree, Mike. My XA-100.8 were more transparent to the source and clear sounding than my XA-100.5 but once fully warmed up (4-5 hours), my XA-100.5 sounded absolutely dreamy with a beautiful tube-like delivery. Two very different sonic signatures in my opinion.

Ken

Ken If you have to choose one ?

What do use on your D3 ?

kzhtoo
October 7, 2015, 01:09 AM
Welcome to the forum Sceptic.

The 28's and the 60.5's are very different. The 28's are more neutral but NOT sterile at all, produce tight wonderful bass, are very smooth on top with a hint of sweetness and have a big and wide soundstage. The 60.5's are warmer, have softer rounder bass, a little sweeter mids and treble and bass nowhere near as good as the 28's. As much as I loved the 60.5's, I absolutely love the 28's even more. Just amazing performers. So if you ask why am I even considering any more amps? Basically I am obsessed. My 28's are NOT going anywhere, they are that good and don't run like little furnaces.

Hi Joe,
Not knowing how the 28's sound (although I had their 4BSST2 many years ago) and based on your descriptions of it, I can't help but wonder if you'd find more similarities than differences between 60.8's and 28's. I had 30.5 for a few years and now with 30.8 for a year, what you said above (60.5's vs. 28's) is exactly how I'd describe 30.5 vs. 30.8. Although I absolutely love the sweet 30.5, once I heard 30.8 it's hard to go back. But it can't be said the same for the reverse.

joeinid
October 7, 2015, 01:24 AM
Hi Joe,
Not knowing how the 28's sound (although I had their 4BSST2 many years ago) and based on your descriptions of it, I can't help but wonder if you'd find more similarities than differences between 60.8's and 28's. I had 30.5 for a few years and now with 30.8 for a year, what you said above (60.5's vs. 28's) is exactly how I'd describe 30.5 vs. 30.8. Although I absolutely love the sweet 30.5, once I heard 30.8 it's hard to go back. But it can't be said the same for the reverse.

Interesting, it makes perfect sense. Maybe a Pass with more power like the XA160.8 might be the logical choice.

kzhtoo
October 7, 2015, 01:28 AM
And if 60.5's are okay for Strads I'm sure 60.8's would be fine. IME, and YMMV, I find lower wattage Pass class A offerings are sweeter sounding their bigger brothers.

joeinid
October 7, 2015, 01:37 AM
And if 60.5's are okay for Strads I'm sure 60.8's would be fine. IME, and YMMV, I find lower wattage Pass class A offerings are sweeter sounding their bigger brothers.

That's where I started and planned on replacing the 60.5 with the 60.8. I know others recommend more power for the Strads, but I don't really play loud very often. I do realize since using my Bryston 28's, control of the Strads is phenomenal, and all in a great way.

Alpinist
October 8, 2015, 07:21 PM
Ken If you have to choose one ?

What do use on your D3 ?

Hi Paul,

I sold my XA-100.8's and purchased Soulution 501 monoblocks to use with my D3. The 501's have amazing synergy with the D3 and it's all about system synergy. If you want to add tube-like warmth to your system, the XA-100.5 is the way to go. If your system already has some warmth, you need more current or more bass, the XA-100.8 is the way to go.

Best,
Ken

MtnHam
October 28, 2015, 03:15 PM
Has anyone heard the XA-260.8's?

Mike
October 28, 2015, 03:16 PM

260.8?

joeinid
October 28, 2015, 03:29 PM

https://passlabs.com/products/amplifiers/point-8/x260.8

Mike
October 28, 2015, 03:36 PM
https://passlabs.com/products/amplifiers/point-8/x260.8

Tom's post said "XA" 260.8...that's what confused me. X260.8...oh yeah!

The Sandman
October 28, 2015, 03:36 PM
The XA260.8 would be a whole different beast!

MtnHam
October 28, 2015, 05:05 PM
My error! Indeed, I am asking about the X-260.8.

Alpinist
October 28, 2015, 05:16 PM
Peter wrote an outstanding post on WBF comparing and contrasting the Pass Labs XA.5, XA.8 and XS series amps. I felt he really got to the heart of the differences. He pulled no punches. I agreed with virtually everything he wrote and could not have said it better myself. I have owned both the XA-100.5 and XA-100.8 monoblocks.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18813-REVIEW-Pass-Labs-XS-150-XA160-8-XA160-5

Ken

MtnHam
November 1, 2015, 06:32 PM
Three days ago, I received a pair of X-260.8's for trial demo, possibly replacing my Ayre MXR's. They are each plugged directly into a dedicated circuit, each with a Shunyata Typhon. I am very impressed, and while they only now have 72 hours run time, I doubt they are going back. A definite step up, with more authority, more solid bass, wider, deeper soundstage, and more air around instruments.

joeinid
January 26, 2016, 06:31 PM
Hi Tom,

Any update on the Pass X260.8 amps? A friend and I were talking about the new stuff and I remembered your post. I am sooooo curious.

Thanks!

MtnHam
January 26, 2016, 09:17 PM
Hi Joe,

The Pass X260.8 amps are definitely keepers. They have the control and reserve power to handle my speakers with ease, and have bumped their performance up several notches, no small task as Sound Lab electrostatics panels are demanding. Considering they replaced Ayre MXR's, no slouches and considerably more expensive amps, they are a bargain. I only went class AB because I didn't want the heat/power consumption of the XA series, but I suspect someday I might reconsider, now knowing how great Pass amps are.

joeinid
January 26, 2016, 09:22 PM
Tom,

Thank you so much. I appreciate the update.

mikey8811
January 28, 2016, 01:46 PM
Three days ago, I received a pair of X-260.8's for trial demo, possibly replacing my Ayre MXR's. They are each plugged directly into a dedicated circuit, each with a Shunyata Typhon. I am very impressed, and while they only now have 72 hours run time, I doubt they are going back. A definite step up, with more authority, more solid bass, wider, deeper soundstage, and more air around instruments.

Hi Tom (aka MtnHam)

I am considering a Pass Labs X350.8 for my Vienna Acoustics Kiss speakers. Pre is a Cary SLP 05. My other option was for Ayre MX R's (non Twenty) for about the same price but the seller reneged on the deal. It is interesting that you think your X260.8's are even better than the MX R Twenty's of course in the context of your system. I am crossing my fingers because I have not heard the X350.8's but have heard the MX R's (non Twenty).

I like a sound that is warm with harmonic richness and tonal density but fast and with some bass slam. I found the MX R's to be slightly rolled off compared to the Krell amp I was using before but it was more musical for that as the Krell could sound bright on brass instruments. However, it lacked the visceral feel and slam of the Krell. I am hoping the X 350.8 will give me something in between, without a hot top end. Do you think I will get that? Your comments will be very helpful, given that you have had the better iteration of the MX R's and are now using the X260.8's.

Thanks

MtnHam
January 28, 2016, 08:36 PM
Hello Mike- My only experience with Pass Labs has been with the X260.8. I would imagine that the x350.8 would have similar characteristics. My MXR's are not the Twenty, only my KXR Twenty is the updated version, although it started out as a basic KXR, and I sent it in for the update. I considered doing so with the MXR's. but came to realize that they didn't have enough headroom to really handle the difficult load presented by my electrostatic panels. I was often running the volume control on the KXR at or near 50, the max, and sometimes having them overheat and go into protection. The Pass Lab x260.8's seem to have more oomph, and never run out of steam. I believe they are capable of delivering more current, which is what Sound Labs need. This has resulted in a more relaxed presentation, more solid bass, and more air around voices and instruments. The Ayre amps are rated at 300 watts, and the Pass Labs at 260, but I believe more current is available, and thus the ease. Furthermore, I believe they remain in Class A deeper into the music, with little Class B power being required, whereas the Ayre amps probably switch over to Class B sooner. If I could tolerate the heat, cost, and power consumption of a pure Class A Pass Lab amp, such as the XA200.8 ($42,000) I suspect I would be even happier.

If your speakers are more efficient than mine, then the Ayre MXR's might be a better choice, as they should be capable of bettering the X260.8, considering the relative prices (MXR/$19k vs. X260.8/$13,500.) Should you still have an interest in the MXR's, mine are available at $8900. I actually own two pair, and will be keeping the 2nd pair for my 2nd (city) system.

Hope that helps,
Tom

mikey8811
January 28, 2016, 10:34 PM
Hi

My apologies for misunderstanding that you had the MX R Twenty. I am in Asia and actually had a deal from the seller for a pair of MX R's for about $7k - unfortunately he reneged. I now have an offer on a used X 350.8 for about the same amount so I will probably go with that.

My speakers are about 89 dB but have a strange impedance curve with lots of dips so I wouldn't characterise them as being easy to drive but they wouldn't be as difficult as your electrostats I presume. i would have thought the Ayre's were a high current design and would have been able to handle yours too so I am surprised by your comments.

So overall, in your system, other than the headroom, how would you say the Ayre's fare vis-a-vis the Pass in terms of tonal character, especially the highs, body, imaging and soundstaging?

Which would have a warmer tone?

Thanks again

MtnHam
January 30, 2016, 11:58 AM
Hi

My speakers are about 89 dB but have a strange impedance curve with lots of dips so I wouldn't characterise them as being easy to drive but they wouldn't be as difficult as your electrostats I presume. i would have thought the Ayre's were a high current design and would have been able to handle yours too so I am surprised by your comments.

So overall, in your system, other than the headroom, how would you say the Ayre's fare vis-a-vis the Pass in terms of tonal character, especially the highs, body, imaging and soundstaging?

Which would have a warmer tone?

Thanks again This is a very difficult question to answer because it has so much do with your speakers and system. In my system, the tonal character did not change, but everything just got better. I attribute this to the fact that the Pass amps took better control of the speakers, had more authority.

Paul
November 1, 2017, 10:26 AM
Is Pass labs (Especially the X260.8 ) sounds too warm ? Since I have couple of tube amps I do not need the amp that sounds too warm like a tube amps. Looking for a bass slam and bit more extension on high as well.

Paul
November 2, 2017, 01:18 AM
Is Pass labs (Especially the X260.8 ) sounds too warm ? Since I have couple of tube amps I do not need the amp that sounds too warm like a tube amps. Looking for a bass slam and bit more extension on high as well.

Any one ? [emoji50]

mikey8811
November 2, 2017, 02:23 AM
Any one ? [emoji50]

I don't have the X260.8 but have the X350.8. You definitely get bass slam with these, so not to worry. It is not in the territory of older FPB era Krell - I think nothing outslams that but it is more textured and less "one-note" in nature if you know what I mean.

MDP
November 2, 2017, 07:54 AM
Paul, I have the X350.8 driving the Salon 2's. It's a perfect amp for me, great definition with no harshness. Fantastic bass control! Beautiful sounding amp!!!!!!

AJR
November 2, 2017, 10:16 AM
I don't have the X260.8 but have the X350.8. You definitely get bass slam with these, so not to worry. It is not in the territory of older FPB era Krell - I think nothing outslams that but it is more textured and less "one-note" in nature if you know what I mean.

Sorry if I missed it but what pre-amp do you use with your X350.8?

mikey8811
November 2, 2017, 10:43 AM
Sorry if I missed it but what pre-amp do you use with your X350.8?

I use a Cary SLP 05

AJR
November 2, 2017, 12:10 PM
In a couple of weeks I am testing the INT-250 with a make-shift DAC and also the X350.8 (not sure what the pre amp will be). Looking forward to it! Comparison is the Gryphon Diablo 300 which I will test at the same time.

mikey8811
November 2, 2017, 02:10 PM
In a couple of weeks I am testing the INT-250 with a make-shift DAC and also the X350.8 (not sure what the pre amp will be). Looking forward to it! Comparison is the Gryphon Diablo 300 which I will test at the same time.

Let us know what you think. I have heard the original Diablo in a full Gryphon system driving the older Mojo speakers and liked it. Haven't heard the Diablo 300 so would be interested how the INT 250 or X350.8 stacks up against it.

Mikado463
November 2, 2017, 02:31 PM

Warm ..........they are biased fully into Class A for the first 34 watts so whatever you want to define 'warm as' then perhaps.

Having owned tube amps (Rogue M180's) and a Plinius SA-102 (SS Class A) I fully understand what your trying to say but as for 'bass slam' define that for me ?

As for the X260.8's, I own a pair driving my Revel Studio II's and they are super. They exhibit plenty of ability in both lower and upper octaves. Their superb damping factor combined with strong current / power capability is what determines bass delivering capability as I know it.

As for some reports that they get excessively hot.......utter nonsense.

Paul
November 2, 2017, 08:45 PM
Warm ..........they are biased fully into Class A for the first 34 watts so whatever you want to define 'warm as' then perhaps.

Having owned tube amps (Rogue M180's) and a Plinius SA-102 (SS Class A) I fully understand what your trying to say but as for 'bass slam' define that for me ?

As for the X260.8's, I own a pair driving my Revel Studio II's and they are super. They exhibit plenty of ability in both lower and upper octaves. Their superb damping factor combined with strong current / power capability is what determines bass delivering capability as I know it.

As for some reports that they get excessively hot.......utter nonsense.

Decision decision :). I never liked the X600.5 however I heard new X.8 series is much better ( blame Mike :) ) but never had a chance to hear the X260.8 yet. Thanks for chime in. I hope the extension on High is there too. Coz every time I hear the SS amp do well on Mid range they usually takes aways some high too. If you know what I mean.