PDA

View Full Version : Magico S7 & S5

Mike
August 27, 2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks to Myles Astor for this great pic!

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12608&d=1440723936

joeinid
August 27, 2015, 09:08 PM
Nice!

BlueFox
August 27, 2015, 09:22 PM
Is Myles at Magico again? Interesting the tweeter on the S7 is at the same height as the S5. I found the S5 sounds best with the ears slightly above the tweeter. I wonder if that also works with S7? Have to buy more Lotto tickets.

Ritmo
August 27, 2015, 10:15 PM
Good observation Bud. I hope they'll be at RMAF.

socfan12
August 27, 2015, 11:29 PM
Is Myles at Magico again? Interesting the tweeter on the S7 is at the same height as the S5. I found the S5 sounds best with the ears slightly above the tweeter. I wonder if that also works with S7? Have to buy more Lotto tickets.

I was there, too! Tim Marutani, a Magico dealer I met courtesy of Larry during my San Francisco trip, graciously invited me to a Magico Factory tour.

Here are a few pics:

A Magico Ultimate being put together for a very lucky client. These things are massive!

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12609&d=1440731859

Not one but two walls of fame for Magico. Well deserved IMO::audiophile:

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12610&d=1440731956

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12611&d=1440732074

Mini Magico Museum. Starting at the right with the Magico Mini then quickly evolving to the Q and S series
http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12612&d=1440732202

puroagave
August 27, 2015, 11:40 PM

that would put your ears above 40" - is your listening chair a bar stool?:skeptical:

BlueFox
August 27, 2015, 11:54 PM
that would put your ears above 40" - is your listening chair a bar stool?:skeptical:

No, I have two office chairs raised to max. Not bad at all. Before I was using a recliner which put my ears below the tweeters. One night I raised myself up a bit, and realized it sounded better. So, the recliner went into a corner, and the Herman Miller took center stage.

socfan12
August 28, 2015, 12:07 AM
I actually think the S7 tweeter is a little lower than the S5 tweeter. I have another pic where I tried to capture that. I was at an angle so it could be skewed a little. I'll post it tomorrow.

socfan12
August 28, 2015, 12:08 AM
More pics tomorrow, but for now, a shot of Magico's famous listening room (beautiful looking and sounding!). Alon, Myles, and Tim.

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12620&d=1440734221

While you see Vitus in the pic, it's the big Soulution amps in the corner (701s?) that drove both the S5 and the S7s.
http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12621&d=1440734299

With Alon playing DJ, he played the same track on the S5s and then the S7s. If you are a fan of the Magico house sound, their impressive engineering, and their seemingly religious and fanatical mission to eradicate all speaker distortions, you will absolutely love the S7!

More pics tomorrow!

Mark Jones
August 28, 2015, 12:39 AM
I can't tell you how much I can't wait to hear my Lamborghini Orange pair. And then show them at the TAVES show.

socfan12
August 28, 2015, 12:54 AM
The S5s in that color were gorgeous! You will love the way they look and the way the sound Mark!

BlueFox
August 28, 2015, 01:26 AM
When I was there the Ultimates were in the room, and it was amazing how effortlessly they filled the room. I always wondered how the S5s would sound in it since the room is so big. It is bigger than the front of my house, which is dining room, kitchen, living room.

Alpinist
August 28, 2015, 01:45 AM
Thanks to Myles Astor for this great pic!

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12608&d=1440723936

The S7 is a huge speaker. It dwarfs the S5, which isn't exactly small to begin with. I would love to audition a pair of S7's so I could form my own opinion on Magico's latest tweeter and midrange enhancements.

Ken

Myles B. Astor
August 28, 2015, 10:10 AM
The S7 is a huge speaker. It dwarfs the S5, which isn't exactly small to begin with. I would love to audition a pair of S7's so I could form my own opinion on Magico's latest tweeter and midrange enhancements.

Ken

I wouldn't say dwarfs. The S7 is roughly 6 inches taller, a little wider and the same depth.

Myles B. Astor
August 28, 2015, 10:12 AM
I actually think the S7 tweeter is a little lower than the S5 tweeter. I have another pic where I tried to capture that. I was at an angle so it could be skewed a little. I'll post it tomorrow.

No, it's the same height. That's an important part of the Magico design philosophy.

LVB
August 28, 2015, 10:55 AM
More pics tomorrow, but for now, a shot of Magico's famous listening room (beautiful looking and sounding!). Alon, Myles, and Tim. http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12620&d=1440734221 While you see Vitus in the pic, it's the big Soulution amps in the corner (701s?) that drove both the S5 and the S7s. http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12621&d=1440734299 With Alon playing DJ, he played the same track on the S5s and then the S7s. If you are a fan of the Magico house sound, their impressive engineering, and their seemingly religious and fanatical mission to eradicate all speaker distortions, you will absolutely love the S7! More pics tomorrow! 1262012621 How did they compare to the S5?

socfan12
August 28, 2015, 12:56 PM
When Alon switched between the two speakers, the difference was not subtle. The S7 has greater clarity, greater focus, richer mids, and sweeter highs than the S5. It's a significant upgrade compared to the S5 (which I own). At almost double the price, it should be.

BlueFox
August 28, 2015, 01:54 PM
Well, that's just great. Now to come up with a spare $60k. :)

mauidan
August 28, 2015, 05:56 PM
http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12631&stc=1
Magico S7 speakers new woofer coupling system is uniquely designed. Copper isolators increase the mechanical coupling while effectively reducing a wider band of unwanted vibrations.

BlueFox
August 28, 2015, 07:24 PM

No, I have two office chairs raised to max. Not bad at all. Before I was using a recliner which put my ears below the tweeters. One night I raised myself up a bit, and realized it sounded better. So, the recliner went into a corner, and the Herman Miller took center stage.

After thinking about this, I decided to try a different chair tonight. My initial recliner was a Lazy Boy, but I also have a Scandinavian Design leather recliner with foot stool. If memory is correct, this chair seems an inch or so lower than the LZB recliner. I will do some A/B testing tonight between it, and the Herman Miller. After a few beers I should be blind enough for the test. :)

socfan12
August 28, 2015, 07:50 PM
Well, that's just great. Now to come up with a spare $60k. :)

Bud, I'm back home and listening to my S5s. I'm still loving them, they are great speakers! Only in direct comparison in the same room, same electronics can one tell the S7s are better. But like i said above, in those controlled conditions, it was not subtle. The very first time Alon switched from the S5 to the S7 and then back to the S5, I did not want to listen to the S5 any more. The S7s were, dare I say, more refined and musical than the S5s...

BlueFox
August 28, 2015, 07:57 PM
Allen, thanks. This is good info. Also, I suspect their room played an important part in being able to hear the difference. It is spooky how quiet that room is once the door is closed.

Rhapsody
August 28, 2015, 07:57 PM
Bud, I'm back home and listening to my S5s. I'm still loving them, they are great speakers! Only in direct comparison in the same room, same electronics can one tell the S7s are better. But like i said above, in those controlled conditions, it was not subtle. The very first time Alon switched from the S5 to the S7 and then back to the S5, I did not want to listen to the S5 any more. The S7s were, dare I say, more refined and musical than the S5s...

Hi Allen, I'm glad that you heard the S7's at the factory. You will have to come over and listen to our S7's that we will have at Rhapsody in early October and let me know how they sound in comparison to how they sounded at "the factory".

socfan12
August 28, 2015, 08:12 PM
Allen, thanks. This is good info. Also, I suspect their room played an important part in being able to hear the difference. It is spooky how quiet that room is once the door is closed.

It's a great room, Bud. I like that room more than Goodwin's big listening room, which I found to controlled for my ears.

Hi Allen, I'm glad that you heard the S7's at the factory. You will have to come over and listen to our S7's that we will have at Rhapsody in early October and let me know how they sound in comparison to how they sounded at "the factory".

Hey Bob, long time no see! Look forward to coming up. But aural memory is short. I heard the MPros at Tim's earlier in the week and it would be hard for me to say how the S7s sound vis a vis the MPros (tho what struck me about the MPros was its amazing fluidity). Bob, the S7 presentation reminded me a lot of the S3 when I was comparing them at your place. But the S7 has bigger, fuller sound if that makes sense.

Mike
August 28, 2015, 08:14 PM
Any idea what's next? Q5 mk2?

socfan12
August 28, 2015, 08:32 PM
Have not heard nor did I ask. Maybe Myles did?

Rhapsody
August 28, 2015, 08:43 PM
It's a great room, Bud. I like that room more than Goodwin's big listening room, which I found to controlled for my ears

Hey Bob, long time no see! Look forward to coming up. But aural memory is short. I heard the MPros at Tim's earlier in the week and it would be hard for me to say how the S7s sound vis a vis the MPros (tho what struck me about the MPros was its amazing fluidity). Bob, the S7 presentation reminded me a lot of the S3 when I was comparing them at your place. But the S7 has bigger, fuller sound if that makes sense.

Interesting....A bigger version of an S3 sounds delicious. The S5 is not really a bigger S3. It's a bit of a different speaker. Interesting.

It is all so room and speaker/room interaction dependent, I understand about comparing the speakers in different rooms/systems. Not much more than mental exercise when trying to compare different models and describe the sound. There are generalities but the room is really the dominant factor in the equation.

Anyway, would look forward to seeing you in the fall.....enjoy the last few days of summer:)

Odyssey
August 28, 2015, 09:26 PM

Hi Bob, congrats on collaring the S7's for your showroom. I'm sure they will sound fabulous. Glad to see you around again!

Mark Jones
August 28, 2015, 11:17 PM
My S7's are about to ship any day, It will be cool to compare them with S3's and Q3's, can't wait, gonna be fun.

Myles B. Astor
August 28, 2015, 11:27 PM
Have not heard nor did I ask. Maybe Myles did?

Bigger S3 I doubt. Alon won't just do bigger; the new speaker has to be better. That's why Alon didn't just add another woofer to the S5 and instead spent a lot of time designing and developing the S7. It's a totally different speaker with actually some trickle up technology. And Allen didn't actually hear the S7 at their best! :) They were much--I eschew attaching a number like saying 10x--better today. But more on that in my write up.

Myles B. Astor
August 28, 2015, 11:29 PM

No question as did the ancillary equipment. It was all arguably the best available.

Myles B. Astor
August 28, 2015, 11:32 PM
It's a great room, Bud. I like that room more than Goodwin's big listening room, which I found to controlled for my ears.

The tweeter in the M-pro is one of a kind. :)

Mark Jones
August 28, 2015, 11:34 PM
Hey Myles what was different today, the gear driving them or speaker placement with the S5 maybe removed from the room. I assume the latter, as that would have made a big impact on the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myles B. Astor
August 28, 2015, 11:44 PM
Hey Myles what was different today, the gear driving them or speaker placement with the S5 maybe removed from the room. I assume the latter, as that would have made a big impact on the sound.

It'll be in the write up but it was the former not the latter. :)

It was as much of the speakers completely disappearing and you just sit and let the music unfold in front of you as anything. The Holly Cole cut for example "I Don't Want To Grow Up" from Tempation was like you were in the studio/club listening to her live. Her voice was breathtakingly real. And we mean breathy and present. Even Alon was slightly stunned how good it sounded.

Mark Jones
August 28, 2015, 11:45 PM
Ah ok, thanks.

BlueFox
August 29, 2015, 12:04 AM
So I just checked my email and I have an invite to come up next week to hear the S5/S7 shootout. I am on my way. :)

socfan12
August 29, 2015, 05:44 AM
Bigger S3 I doubt. Alon won't just do bigger; the new speaker has to be better. That's why Alon didn't just add another woofer to the S5 and instead spent a lot of time designing and developing the S7. It's a totally different speaker with actually some trickle up technology. And Allen didn't actually hear the S7 at their best! :) They were much--I eschew attaching a number like saying 10x--better today. But more on that in my write up.

Myles, you're right, it would be unfair to call the S7 a bigger S3. But from the 10-15 minutes of music I heard on the S7 what struck out to me most was the midrange richness and clarity, like what I heard when comparing the S3 vs. the S5. But as you say, there's a whole lot more going on.

This I wish I had more time to assess. No doubt the S7 tweeter is better than the S5, but how close to the MPro's... That MPro tweeter literally disappeared when listening.

It'll be in the write up but it was the former not the latter. :)

It was as much of the speakers completely disappearing and you just sit and let the music unfold in front of you as anything. The Holly Cole cut for example "I Don't Want To Grow Up" from Tempation was like you were in the studio/club listening to her live. Her voice was breathtakingly real. And we mean breathy and present. Even Alon was slightly stunned how good it sounded.

I really wish I was there for that. That's one track I use to demo gear and use to setup my speakers, so I know it well. As well as Holly Cole's 'I Can See Clearly Now'.

Myles, are you back home now listening to your S5s? I'm listening to my S5s and I'm loving them. Just the more remarkable to me that the S7 improves on the S5 in so many dimensions and is that much better overall. Wow.

Did you change over to the Vitus gear?

socfan12
August 29, 2015, 05:45 AM
So I just checked my email and I have an invite to come up next week to hear the S5/S7 shootout. I am on my way. :)

Nice, Bud! To hear them is to want them...

Rhapsody
August 29, 2015, 07:21 AM

Myles, I knew what Allen meant regarding the S3 vs the S5. A lot of people, me included think the midrange on the S3 is more flushed out and more present than the S5. Also there is something in the midbass of the S5 that for some reason I feel more comfortable with on the S3 vs the S5. Allen heard the same thing at my place when we listened to both the S3/S5 in the same room with the same electronics. Although depending on personal preference, room size, electronics, blah, blah, blah many would and do choose the S5 over the S3.

No doubt the S7 as you have heard and I have not, is a big jump up from either the S3 or the S5, and as stated earlier it should be with the cost differential.

Myles B. Astor
August 29, 2015, 10:00 AM
Myles, I knew what Allen meant regarding the S3 vs the S5. A lot of people, me included think the midrange on the S3 is more flushed out and more present than the S5. Also there is something in the midbass of the S5 that for some reason I feel more comfortable with on the S3 vs the S5. Allen heard the same thing at my place when we listened to both the S3/S5 in the same room with the same electronics. Although depending on personal preference, room size, electronics, blah, blah, blah many would and do choose the S5 over the S3.

No doubt the S7 as you have heard and I have not, is a big jump up from either the S3 or the S5, and as stated earlier it should be with the cost differential.

I'm not sure what the problem is? I'm not disagreeing and understand the differences between the two models. I was just trying to expand on the point. Perhaps you will see where I'm going when my prequel and report is online in two or so days.

Rhapsody
August 29, 2015, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure what the problem is? I'm not disagreeing and understand the differences between the two models. I was just trying to expand on the point. Perhaps you will see where I'm going when my prequel and report is online in two or so days.

There is no problem:)

Myles B. Astor
August 29, 2015, 10:03 AM
There is no problem:)

Oh ok. :cool:

madfloyd
August 29, 2015, 10:10 AM

Do you mean the S7 doesn't have the same tweeter?

Myles B. Astor
August 29, 2015, 10:18 AM
Myles, you're right, it would be unfair to call the S7 a bigger S3. But from the 10-15 minutes of music I heard on the S7 what struck out to me most was the midrange richness and clarity, like what I heard when comparing the S3 vs. the S5. But as you say, there's a whole lot more going on.

I'd say when you were there the midrange was more resolving and textured, cleaner and lower distortion. Yesterday was when the midrange really bloomed.

This I wish I had more time to assess. No doubt the S7 tweeter is better than the S5, but how close to the MPro's... That MPro tweeter literally disappeared when listening.

It'll be in the interview but Alon said the M-Pro tweeter was the one driver that he designed that exceeded all expectations. He actually didn't think it was working when he first listened to the prototype. While the S7 tweeter leans more toward the S5 design, it does have the diamond coating and a modified motor. No doubt to my ears of all the things that Alon did in the S7, it's that difference between the S5/7 tweeter that sticks out in my mind. And as I'll talk about, it has in part in part with time domain effects. But that really isn't fair either because this is a different animal and there are so many sonic improvements most notably the low end.

Whatever, the S7 is a remarkable speaker and will be waiting for the review pair to come shortly!

I really wish I was there for that. That's one track I use to demo gear and use to setup my speakers, so I know it well. As well as Holly Cole's 'I Can See Clearly Now'.

I've loved that album since reviewed it for TAS in the late '80s(?). And remember that was. 44/16 recording. You wouldn't have known it yesterday when I listened.

Myles, are you back home now listening to your S5s? I'm listening to my S5s and I'm loving them. Just the more remarkable to me that the S7 improves on the S5 in so many dimensions and is that much better overall. Wow.

Nope, still have one more day here and intend to hit the farmers market at the ferry pier today.

Did you change over to the Vitus gear?

Nope. Getting cold. I think Mike might be able to guess and there's a hint on another website. :)

Myles B. Astor
August 29, 2015, 10:20 AM

No, but it derives some technology from the M-Project. See my response to Allen below Ian.

socfan12
August 29, 2015, 11:29 AM
I'd say when you were there the midrange was more resolving and textured, cleaner and lower distortion. Yesterday was when the midrange really bloomed.

It'll be in the interview but Alon said the M-Pro tweeter was the one driver that he designed that exceeded all expectations. He actually didn't think it was working when he first listened to the prototype. While the S7 tweeter leans more toward the S5 design, it does have the diamond coating and a modified motor. No doubt to my ears of all the things that Alon did in the S7, it's that difference between the S5/7 tweeter that sticks out in my mind. And as I'll talk about, it has in part in part with time domain effects. But that really isn't fair either because this is a different animal and there are so many sonic improvements most notably the low end.

Whatever, the S7 is a remarkable speaker and will be waiting for the review pair to come shortly!

Nice! And totally agree with you, the S7 is an amazing speaker. I don't usually wax on about gear I hear or even own, but the S7 is indeed special. Amazingly, the MPro even more than that, too!

I've loved that album since reviewed it for TAS in the late '80s(?). And remember that was. 44/16 recording. You wouldn't have known it yesterday when I listened.

I like Temptation more than Don't Smoke in Bed, musically and sonically. Saw Holly Cole live and she's an amazing singer.

Nope, still have one more day here and intend to hit the farmers market at the ferry pier today.

Nope. Getting cold. I think Mike might be able to guess and there's a hint on another website. :)

We ate like pigs over at the Farmer's Market last weekend. Great fruit, and the Oyster place is very good (so says my wife - I can't eat seafood). Not sure if 'Off The Grid' is open tonight/tomorrow, but definitely a great place for that food truck scene I mentioned.

Have a safe trip back, Myles. We'll chat more when you're back.

socfan12
August 29, 2015, 11:37 AM

Yes, different tweeter. Different geometry, and maybe even different ratio of Be/diamond coating, not sure. And as Myles mentioned, modified motor.

I think the MPro drivers are only in the MPro and Q7mkII speakers. The S7 has modified versions of them.

Ian, I heard the MPros briefly on Wens afternoon. They are absolutely stunning! I cannot believe how beautiful the MPros sound, especially that tweeter. It is uncanny! Congrats again!:tup:

Myles B. Astor
August 29, 2015, 12:13 PM
Nice! And totally agree with you, the S7 is an amazing speaker. I don't usually wax on about gear I hear or even own, but the S7 is indeed special. Amazingly, the MPro even more than that, too!

I like Temptation more than Don't Smoke in Bed, musically and sonically. Saw Holly Cole live and she's an amazing singer.

We ate like pigs over at the Farmer's Market last weekend. Great fruit, and the Oyster place is very good (so says my wife - I can't eat seafood). Not sure if 'Off The Grid' is open tonight/tomorrow, but definitely a great place for that food truck scene I mentioned.

Have a safe trip back, Myles. We'll chat more when you're back.

I'm looking forward to a SF Lox sandwich! :)

Myles B. Astor
August 29, 2015, 01:08 PM
Some pictures from my trip to Magico. Comments on my trip and hearing the new S7s to follow shortly. Lot to digest and write about. :)

I Left My Speaker in San Francisco (http://avshowroomsforums.com/showthread.php?208-I-Left-My-Speaker-in-San-Francisco)

socfan12
August 29, 2015, 02:04 PM
Thx, Myles, you took some good pics. David, my tour guide, would not let me take too many pics so I just took a few.

Dpod4
August 29, 2015, 02:56 PM
Some pictures from my trip to Magico. Comments on my trip and hearing the new S7s to follow shortly. Lot to digest and write about. :)

I Left My Speaker in San Francisco (http://avshowroomsforums.com/showthread.php?208-I-Left-My-Speaker-in-San-Francisco)

Awesome headline!

ashandger
August 30, 2015, 05:32 AM

Myles, was there any significant difference in the image height produced by S7 compared to S5? Many thanks for all the info and feedback on your experience at Magico factory.

Myles B. Astor
August 30, 2015, 10:01 AM
That will be in my write up which should be online this this week.

ashandger
August 30, 2015, 11:02 AM
That will be in my write up which should be online this this week.

Great. Look forward to reading it.

Penthouse-D
August 30, 2015, 02:25 PM
Great company with wonderful products. Always nice to see a company "pushing the envelope". Interesting to see some Spectral gear in the mix...

CharlesL
August 31, 2015, 12:04 AM
The S7 may be too large for some rooms, but I guess there will be no S5 MkII. Wonder if there will be trickle down of the driver technologies to smaller form factors.

BlueFox
September 2, 2015, 12:42 PM
Yesterday I visited Magico to hear the S7/S5 as described in this thread. Alon was kind enough to spend nearly an hour of his time playing music, and switching cables, for me. As others have mentioned, the S7 is a better speaker, as it should be for twice the price. The word I used to describe the difference is the S7 sounded ‘cleaner’. The bass was certainly more distinct and detailed over the S5, and the overall sound better. The S7 is a bit more efficient than the S5 so that could be a small factor in the difference in sound.

One point he mentioned, and I might have this slightly wrong so don’t go Internet berserk about it, is that the drivers in the S7 are so much better that they were able to eliminate some circuitry in the cross over, and this helps make the sound appear more enveloping (my word). Anyway, the point is the S7 is an all new speaker that clearly outperforms the S5.

A design issue I am not too crazy about, but is probably okay, is that the mid and tweeter module is separate from the woofer section. It is bolted and epoxied to the woofer section. In my mind that is one more thing that can work loose over time with negative sonic implications, but that is just a personal non-speaker designer feeling.

Now for the best part. I have always felt my system really starts to shine around 11 PM, as the air cools down, and the ambient noise goes very low in my house. Due to the Shunyata cabling and power, along with the solid rack and vibration control, and positioning of furniture in my living room, I have really been able to extract outstanding performance from my system. Yesterday while listening to the S5 in their outstanding listening room, I felt like I was listening to my system. It really seemed that close on songs (Patricia Barber, Holly Cole) that I also have and play. Of course, audio memory is short, and I might be wrong, but that was my impression.

Now I need to get a pair of S7s to see if they sound the same as at Magico.

madfloyd
September 2, 2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the post, Bud!

Mike
September 2, 2015, 01:22 PM
Awesome Bud! That's a great validation of what you're hearing at home. Well done.

a.wayne
September 2, 2015, 05:25 PM
IMO, separate cabinets is a big plus .........

Yesterday I visited Magico to hear the S7/S5 as described in this thread. Alon was kind enough to spend nearly an hour of his time playing music, and switching cables, for me. As others have mentioned, the S7 is a better speaker, as it should be for twice the price. The word I used to describe the difference is the S7 sounded ‘cleaner’. The bass was certainly more distinct and detailed over the S5, and the overall sound better. The S7 is a bit more efficient than the S5 so that could be a small factor in the difference in sound.

One point he mentioned, and I might have this slightly wrong so don’t go Internet berserk about it, is that the drivers in the S7 are so much better that they were able to eliminate some circuitry in the cross over, and this helps make the sound appear more enveloping (my word). Anyway, the point is the S7 is an all new speaker that clearly outperforms the S5.

A design issue I am not too crazy about, but is probably okay, is that the mid and tweeter module is separate from the woofer section. It is bolted and epoxied to the woofer section. In my mind that is one more thing that can work loose over time with negative sonic implications, but that is just a personal non-speaker designer feeling.

Now for the best part. I have always felt my system really starts to shine around 11 PM, as the air cools down, and the ambient noise goes very low in my house. Due to the Shunyata cabling and power, along with the solid rack and vibration control, and positioning of furniture in my living room, I have really been able to extract outstanding performance from my system. Yesterday while listening to the S5 in their outstanding listening room, I felt like I was listening to my system. It really seemed that close on songs (Patricia Barber, Holly Cole) that I also have and play. Of course, audio memory is short, and I might be wrong, but that was my impression.

Now I need to get a pair of S7s to see if they sound the same as at Magico.

socfan12
September 2, 2015, 08:38 PM
That's awesome, Bud! Glad you liked them, they are amazing! To hear them is to want them...

MDP
September 3, 2015, 09:57 AM
Are you boys going going for the group buy?

:D

mauidan
September 7, 2015, 02:07 PM
http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12718&stc=1

madfloyd
September 7, 2015, 02:42 PM
Wow! Gorgeous photo, love the color.

Myles B. Astor
September 7, 2015, 11:53 PM
The final installment of my West Coast trip and listening to the S7 vs. S5 is available here, post #3.

Alpinist
September 8, 2015, 01:02 AM
The final installment of my West Coast trip and listening to the S7 vs. S5 is available here, post #3.

Excellent review Myles, well done, top to bottom!

Ken

CharlesL
September 8, 2015, 10:21 AM
Excellent write-up! Interesting to read that Wolf was non-committal on the subject of whether there will be a S5 MkII.

BlueFox
September 8, 2015, 11:53 AM
If there is an S5 upgrade I wonder how extensive and costly it will be. If all the drivers and crossover are upgraded, and maybe a mid-level chamber, then it will be like a new speaker. Maybe even a new baffle like the Q7 II.

CharlesL
September 9, 2015, 09:08 AM
If there is an S5 upgrade I wonder how extensive and costly it will be. If all the drivers and crossover are upgraded, and maybe a mid-level chamber, then it will be like a new speaker. Maybe even a new baffle like the Q7 II.

There is possibility of not requiring a new baffle as the diameters of the drivers are the same. If so the cost may be more attractive for upgrading.

BlueFox
September 9, 2015, 11:54 AM
There is possibility of not requiring a new baffle as the diameters of the drivers are the same. If so the cost may be more attractive for upgrading.

If the screw holes align then we are in business. I can swing an S5 upgrade much easier than an S7.

Mike
September 9, 2015, 12:11 PM
If the screw holes align then we are in business. I can swing an S5 upgrade much easier than an S7.

Bud, just make sure you go for the heavy duty Friday night screws this time around. :exciting:

BlueFox
September 9, 2015, 09:26 PM
Bud, just make sure you go for the heavy duty Friday night screws this time around. :exciting:

No problem. If they do use S7 drivers they probably will rate the new S5 like the S7, 50-1000 watts, versus the current 50-1200 watts. I asked Alon why they lowered the rated power and he basically said so that some bonehead with a 1200 watt amp will not turn it all the way up, clip, and fry the drivers. :)

Alpinist
September 10, 2015, 12:59 AM
No problem. If they do use S7 drivers they probably will rate the new S5 like the S7, 50-1000 watts, versus the current 50-1200 watts. I asked Alon why they lowered the rated power and he basically said so that some bonehead with a 1200 watt amp will not turn it all the way up, clip, and fry the drivers. :)

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Joe P
September 10, 2015, 02:20 AM

Once again, I understand why you're not married.:snicker:

Colekat
September 10, 2015, 06:20 AM
Wow, This is a great thread! The S7s are moving up the list of possible new speakers! Ken, you have been a great help in tapping into the many resources used to narrow down choices. These S7s will be a must addition.
Tom

Alpinist
September 11, 2015, 06:52 AM
Wow, This is a great thread! The S7s are moving up the list of possible new speakers! Ken, you have been a great help in tapping into the many resources used to narrow down choices. These S7s will be a must addition.
Tom

Hi Tom,

I hope all is well with you. The S7 would be a great and appropriate addition to that reference system you are building. With the enhancements that Magico has made, the more relaxed sound will appeal to a greater variety of listeners. I would love to hear them. After you've given them a long audition, please come back and post your thoughts on their sound. It appears they are the front runner for you right now!

Best,
Ken

Colekat
September 12, 2015, 09:47 AM
Hi Ken, I have been a little under the weather with summertime cold...by-product of 2 & 4 year old boys, they are like little germ magnets. Hard to listen to music with ear aches. I'm going to Ivan's big gig next week at Cape Cod and while he has no Magico's there, I will have the opputunity to hear some heavy weights. The TAD R1s are in a reference system That I want to hear.
But this is about the Magico's and I'm looking forward to a road trip to hear the S7s. Ken, I have heard a lot of speakers in the last two years, and still looking for something that will subplant the Salons. They don't get a lot of attention, but for all around performers they are hard to beat. I'm hoping the Magico's are the " resolving" , detailed, cieling shakers I'm looking for. The biggest problem I've had is finding a speaker that sounds great at normal volume but can also bring it home at " Rock Concert " volume.
That was a great read from Myles on the Magico's and has certainly got me looking that way, but we will see.
And on a sad note, I was making my plans to go see David Baskin last week of September, and will need to re think that game plan. He was a nice guy, too bad!

asiufy
September 12, 2015, 11:08 AM
Colekat,

Pardon my intrusion, but from your description of your "ideal" speaker, and looking at your system below, it seems you could do a lot worse than an Avantgarde. I realize horn speakers are an acquired taste, but they do these things you want really well. And you're already well equipped in the amplifier front for them! I can imagine how beautiful those Ypsilon will sound on high-efficiency horns :)

Mike
September 12, 2015, 11:12 AM
Colekat,

Pardon my intrusion, but from your description of your "ideal" speaker, and looking at your system below, it seems you could do a lot worse than an Avantgarde. I realize horn speakers are an acquired taste, but they do these things you want really well. And you're already well equipped in the amplifier front for them! I can imagine how beautiful those Ypsilon will sound on high-efficiency horns :)

I agree.

Colekat
September 12, 2015, 03:00 PM
No pardon needed. Of course, I mean ideal in my mind, and I am open to any and all intrusions, that's why I am here! With all the choices and combinations to consider, it is like winning the lottery when, and if, that " wow" ever happens ! I am quite satisfied with my current set-up, and have had many "wow" moments, but always open eared to any input. The problem is with the shrinking brick and mortar dealers it is tough to gauge the impact these changes will have in our systems, in our homes, where it counts!
So, I am always looking forward to your suggestions.

asiufy
September 12, 2015, 07:30 PM
Yes, it's indeed a shame the market has been shrinking... Makes me question my sanity for having just opened a real, brick and mortar audio dealership :D
Anyway, are you planning on going to RMAF? I believe Avantgarde will be there!

Myles B. Astor
September 12, 2015, 08:03 PM
No pardon needed. Of course, I mean ideal in my mind, and I am open to any and all intrusions, that's why I am here! With all the choices and combinations to consider, it is like winning the lottery when, and if, that " wow" ever happens ! I am quite satisfied with my current set-up, and have had many "wow" moments, but always open eared to any input. The problem is with the shrinking brick and mortar dealers it is tough to gauge the impact these changes will have in our systems, in our homes, where it counts!
So, I am always looking forward to your suggestions.

Magico will display the S7 at RMAF.

mep
September 12, 2015, 09:03 PM

Great. I look forward to hearing them!

Colekat
September 13, 2015, 10:37 AM
Yes, it's indeed a shame the market has been shrinking... Makes me question my sanity for having just opened a real, brick and mortar audio dealership :D
Anyway, are you planning on going to RMAF? I believe Avantgarde will be there!
Asiufy, I will not make RMAF, Mothers birthday that weekend!, 89! I am planning some road trips to hear what I can't locally. I have found in High End, better to blow $ on plane tickets than to end up with something totally blind....and end the experience on AudioGon ! The depreciation in High End is a like few other things in consumer economics.
So, always looking to meet some new High Enders in travel and find someone sharing a good deal.
And as for your sanity, I couldn't be happier for you! I would love to have an Audio business. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know! To live with music and share the experience with people unaware of how beautiful a great setup can be. Although, when pleasure becomes a job, it can loose its luster! Maybe we will see each other down the road, California is a nice place to visit!
Good Luck, Tom

Colekat
September 13, 2015, 10:55 AM
Myles, Your commentary on the S7s has me leaning hard toward the Magico's. I have never heard Magico's, so I truly need to audition them in the near future. I am very attracted to them aesthetically, so if they sound as good as they look, I will surely put them on my short list. If I had an endless stream of money, I would probably bring them home for an audition, but I don't... And I'm married and want to stay that way!
But, you have certainly pushed all the right buttons for me, and your read of the S7s is fantastic and very to point of what is important to me ; Great Job!
So, I will look forward to hearing the S7s, and hope they are all you say for me!
Tom

asiufy
September 13, 2015, 12:43 PM
Asiufy, I will not make RMAF, Mothers birthday that weekend!, 89! I am planning some road trips to hear what I can't locally. I have found in High End, better to blow $ on plane tickets than to end up with something totally blind....and end the experience on AudioGon ! The depreciation in High End is a like few other things in consumer economics.
So, always looking to meet some new High Enders in travel and find someone sharing a good deal.
And as for your sanity, I couldn't be happier for you! I would love to have an Audio business. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know! To live with music and share the experience with people unaware of how beautiful a great setup can be. Although, when pleasure becomes a job, it can loose its luster! Maybe we will see each other down the road, California is a nice place to visit!
Good Luck, Tom

Tom,

Thanks for your very kind words :) Oh, and congrats to your mother! 89! My father is 83, and I also try to have as much time with him as possible...
You're also on the money regarding auditioning before buying. The old Audiogon roulette gets old quick :)
Personally, I think it's much more enjoyable to take a trip somewhere to audition gear, as there's always the side benefit of actually visiting a different city/region. Since I love music and food, I always try to hit the local record stores, and have good meals :)
Oh, you're more than welcome to stop by, if you feel like coming to San Diego/La Jolla! This particular area is gorgeous all year round!

cheers,
alex

socfan12
September 13, 2015, 04:15 PM
Tom,

Thanks for your very kind words :) Oh, and congrats to your mother! 89! My father is 83, and I also try to have as much time with him as possible...
You're also on the money regarding auditioning before buying. The old Audiogon roulette gets old quick :)
Personally, I think it's much more enjoyable to take a trip somewhere to audition gear, as there's always the side benefit of actually visiting a different city/region. Since I love music and food, I always try to hit the local record stores, and have good meals :)
Oh, you're more than welcome to stop by, if you feel like coming to San Diego/La Jolla! This particular area is gorgeous all year round!

cheers,
alex

Totally agree with you Alex! That's exactly what I did when I went to San Francisco and had a great time visiting a few high end stores, in particular Michael Woods of Elite A/V. A great gentleman with some great gear!

Colekat
September 13, 2015, 07:00 PM
Alex, Thanks for the invite. San Diego is very beautiful and I would love to come by and check things out. PBN is not far from you, I blew out some windows with a pair of KAS2s and Bryston 28B mono blocks. Little different taste these days! My wife hated those speakers, she called them boomy refrigerators.
I was in La Jolla 20 years ago, absolutely beautiful! I have friends not too far from you, so I could kill two birds and hear some great audio, and great Mexican Food!
Everything will work out for you, your in the right neighborhood !
and anytime your in the North East you have an open invite, best seafood in the World!
Maybe the S7s will be singing in my main room...

Tom

asiufy
September 13, 2015, 09:02 PM
Yeah, the north east is indeed beautiful! I was just in the region about a month ago, shame!
When I lived in NJ, I worked for a while in CT, so Boston, Providence and the coastal towns were usual weekends for me :)
I'm going to be in NJ for a concert on Nov. 13. If I have enough time, I'll stretch and visit the NE again!

alex