PDA

View Full Version : Low output impedance valve pre-amp recommendations?

Nyal Mellor
August 24, 2015, 09:30 PM
Hi, looking for the wise advice of the forum...I would like to try out some valve pre-amps driving ATC active speakers which are 10kOhm impedance, and take only balanced inputs. It seems like output transformers are pretty much mandatory. I've compiled a short list for your review:

- Modwright LS36.5
- BAT (the new ones with transformers)
- Coincident Statement Linestage
- Purity Audio Reference
- EAR 864 / 912

Any others you would recommend, and any personal experience?

Mike
August 24, 2015, 09:31 PM
How about VAC?

puroagave
August 24, 2015, 11:05 PM
are the ATCs balanced? the manley jumbo shrimp has an output impedance of just 91 ohms (single-ended) and states it can drive a load impedance down to 2500 ohms.

ps - oops, i just saw balanced only. manley's pro gear line may include a line level pre that does what you need. or you can short the neg and ground pin on the XLR and it should drive the ATC's input fine.

Jack
August 24, 2015, 11:24 PM
If this is just "an experiment" I would go with the Modwright. Less outlay up front, especially used, therefore easier to sell.

Anatta
October 15, 2015, 06:01 AM
Einstein
Atmasphere

Duke
October 16, 2015, 12:52 AM
I've heard tales of the Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamplifier driving 32-ohm speakers. It has an output impedance of 30 ohms.

The less expensive MP-3 has an output impedance of 250 ohms. It will work just fine with a 10K ohm load. The MP-3 is the preamp I used back when I was an ATC dealer.

Or just give Ralph a call, 651-690-2246.

To the best of my knowledge, Atma-Sphere is among the few manufacturers of balanced high-end preamps that conform to the AES File 48 protocols for balanced audio gear.

XV-1
October 16, 2015, 05:34 AM
conrad johnson GAT with rca to xlr adaptors.

will sound better than almost anything.