PDA

View Full Version : Cyclops v2 - First impressions.

BlueFox
June 28, 2015, 07:19 PM
I started acquiring my current system around this time two years ago. I had the preamp for a month or so, and ordered the amps over the July 4th weekend. For about 6-7 months I had everything plugged into the Triton, and while it sounded great, I tripped the Triton breaker one night, so I had a second 20 amp line installed for the amps. At the same time I ordered a Cyclops and Zitron Anaconda for it. The circuit was wall, Z Anaconda, Cyclops, two Zitron Pythons, amps, and it sounded quite good. However, I found that I was now tripping the circuit breaker used by the Cyclops. So, once again, I had another 20 amp line installed for the other amp, and each amp now has its own line, and the source has its own line. At that point I didn't feel as if I could spare $5k for another Cyclops and Z Anaconda, but after a few months I did order the second set.

By then I was used to the sound of the amps plugged directly into the wall, so I was slightly suspect of what type of improvement, or degradation, I might get from the pair of Cyclops. After all, conventional wisdom says plug the amps direct to the wall. Well, I was very happy to immediately notice that with the Cyclops the background noise dropped, and music seemed fuller and clearer. The noise part I find interesting since you are not aware it is there until it is gone, and I have noticed this is a common trait with Shunyata gear. Each upgrade seems to make the system even quieter, and sound better. At least to my non-measuring, subjective ears.

So, for the last year or so, this has been the status quo with power cord upgrades to Sigma, Triton to v2, and the Lumin file player. All in all, I have been very happy with the end result, and wasn't interested in any more upgrades, or gear changes for the future, but felt, just for completeness, I needed the Cyclops to also be at v2.

Two weeks ago I sent the Cyclops in for the upgrade, and received them back this past Wednesday. Last weekend I was 'forced' to listen the system with the amps directly into the wall. There is no comparison. Plugged directly into the wall, I could barely stand the sound. The sound was harsh, edgy, and not as quiet. While I am sure I would have eventually adapted to the new sound, I am glad I knew it could be much better. When I received the Cyclops back on Wednesday I immediately installed them. Right away I knew this was better than direct, but I held off on really listening, and let them burn in that night, and Thursday night. Friday morning I powered everything on for a critical Friday night evaluation, and that night had an interesting experience.

I started at 6 PM and was just mesmerized by the sound. As the night wore on, and it quieted down outside, I could not get enough. It was as if the music was giving me the energy, or motivation, to stay awake and listen. In fact, I didn't stop until 7 PM Saturday, since it was that good. That is a new record for me, and one I will never try to break, since even on Sunday afternoon I am still a little out of sorts. :)

With the v2 Cyclops, as before, background noise is lower/gone. However, now the music is perfect. There is no edge or harshness that I can detect. Friday night was rock, and it excelled. Now I am listening to string quartets, and the violins are so smooth against the black background that it is scary good.

From my perspective, the combination of wall, Zitron Anaconda, Cyclops v2, Sigma HC, amps is much, much better than wall, Sigma HC, amps.

I refer to the Cyclops combination as my 3.5 meter $8,600 power cord. Even with 4 additional DTCD drop points, this chain out performs the single cable. Amazing.

Mike
June 29, 2015, 10:37 PM
Great write up Bud! Thanks for posting.

There are many great ways to deal with electrical grounding and enjoy the benefits of black backgrounds. The Cyclops V2 seems to be a good one!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/29/725ab8d620291d2fb7752274be8b8af8.jpg

ctop
July 1, 2015, 01:19 PM
Nice writeup Bud! I'm completely happy too with my Shunyata gear. I have a Triton V2 and Typhon for my front end but I'm still contemplating if I should use Cyclops for the amps or maybe just adding another Typhon plugged parallel to the outlet where the amps are connected.

still-one
July 1, 2015, 03:33 PM
I ordered a Cyclops V2 the other day and hope to have it dropped shipped at my place by the end of next week. If is a good as everyone indicates I will consider a second one, if not I have 30 days to give if a fair trial. Can't lose.

the professor
July 1, 2015, 03:40 PM
I have never tried a Cyclops for my amps, but I do use 2 Typhons in the second outlet on each of my amps going into the wall. It shocks me every time I do a comparison for somebody when they come over and listen. Sure is an expensive way to go though.